Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Sep 2014, 20:22

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 9

Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2012, 07:21
Hi,

I am a recent grad currently working in corporate finance and I was wondering what roles (in the finance realm) involve strategy/big-picture thinking or NPV analysis besides Corp Dev type functions? Right now, my corporate finance job is basically accounting, which is too backwards looking for me, and I want to do something that involves forward-looking analysis. For example, I've done case studies in the past that involve looking at whether or not a company should close a factory, increase capacity at a factory, invest in a new fleet for cargo transportation, etc. and I want to do work like this. I know corp dev is basically the King of finance positions (outside of CFO obviously) and does the high-level M&A work, but I was wondering if it's possible to transition into a role that involves some of what I previously mentioned before my MBA? Would FP&A at the higher levels allow me to do work like this?

Thanks!

Please give kudos if you found my post useful, I give kudos back :)

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 28 Oct 2012, 13:20
brooksbrahs wrote:
Hi,

I am a recent grad currently working in corporate finance and I was wondering what roles (in the finance realm) involve strategy/big-picture thinking or NPV analysis besides Corp Dev type functions? Right now, my corporate finance job is basically accounting, which is too backwards looking for me, and I want to do something that involves forward-looking analysis. For example, I've done case studies in the past that involve looking at whether or not a company should close a factory, increase capacity at a factory, invest in a new fleet for cargo transportation, etc. and I want to do work like this. I know corp dev is basically the King of finance positions (outside of CFO obviously) and does the high-level M&A work, but I was wondering if it's possible to transition into a role that involves some of what I previously mentioned before my MBA? Would FP&A at the higher levels allow me to do work like this?

Thanks!

Can a dog get a bone? :-D

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 30

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 29 Oct 2012, 09:41
This post received
KUDOS
A traditional FP&A role will be more forward looking and will involve some decision making as opposed to an accounting role. Just so I have a better idea, how long have you been working? Are you currently an analyst?

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 06:53
ngould wrote:
A traditional FP&A role will be more forward looking and will involve some decision making as opposed to an accounting role. Just so I have a better idea, how long have you been working? Are you currently an analyst?

Well, I don't have a permanent job, just working as a temp for a smaller company in corporate finance for a few months and I've been looking to lateral into something more exciting. The main issue I have is that I'm doing all of the backward looking analysis (i.e. putting together reports, etc.) but I'm not able to get into the strategic aspect of it (i.e. why did we vary so much and how can we fix it). Ideally, my role would involve the NPV analysis that I mentioned earlier although I think brand management/strategic planning are interesting as well. I'm just trying to figure out what types of roles I should be on the lookout for.

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 1 [1] , given: 30

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 30 Oct 2012, 12:29
This post received
KUDOS
From what I understand, it sounds like you are searching for a traditional FP&A job. FP&A is the most common corporate finance role for an analyst.

So, just a piece of advice. Many companies will lump accounting and finance positions in together, especially for lower level jobs. In your job search, try to focus on companies that have separate accounting and finance jobs. This way, when you apply for a finance position, it will be specifically geared towards fiance.

Most finance roles start off as support roles, so nothing to exciting there. However, as you move up in the company your role will hopefully get shifted to managing the finances of smaller business units within the company.

Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck.

Give Kudos if my post was helpful!

Intern
Intern

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev? [#permalink] New post 31 Oct 2012, 07:24
ngould wrote:
From what I understand, it sounds like you are searching for a traditional FP&A job. FP&A is the most common corporate finance role for an analyst.

So, just a piece of advice. Many companies will lump accounting and finance positions in together, especially for lower level jobs. In your job search, try to focus on companies that have separate accounting and finance jobs. This way, when you apply for a finance position, it will be specifically geared towards fiance.

Most finance roles start off as support roles, so nothing to exciting there. However, as you move up in the company your role will hopefully get shifted to managing the finances of smaller business units within the company.

Hopefully this was helpful. Best of luck.

Ah, so basically it sounds like I'm just being an entitled college kid who is expecting to be doing high-level work too soon then. I guess I'll just ride it out and keep looking for opportunities to jump to a company with a greater diversity of roles. Hopefully from there I can schmooze my way into more exciting roles. Thanks a lot and this was definitely useful. +1 for you.

Re: Strategic Finance Jobs Besides Corp Dev?   [#permalink] 31 Oct 2012, 07:24