Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Aug 2014, 00:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Students in the metropolitan school district lack math

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Director
Director
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 32

GMAT Tests User
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 10:05
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

5% (low)

Question Stats:

67% (01:09) correct 33% (01:01) wrong based on 6 sessions
Students in the metropolitan school district lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to
absorb them into a city economy becoming
ever more dependent on information-based industries.
(A) lack math skills to such a large degree as to make it difficult to absorb them into a city economy
becoming
(B) lack math skills to a large enough degree that they will be difficult to absorb into a city's economy that
becomes
(C) lack of math skills is so large as to be difficult to absorb them into a city's economy that becomes
(D) are lacking so much in math skills as to be difficult to absorb into a city's economy becoming
(E) are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming

In option E it referring what?
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

I am student of everyone-baten
Collections:-
PSof OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ps-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110005.html
DS of OG solved by GC members: http://gmatclub.com/forum/collection-ds-with-solution-from-gmatclub-110004.html
100 GMAT PREP Quantitative collection http://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-prep-problem-collections-114358.html
Collections of work/rate problems with solutions http://gmatclub.com/forum/collections-of-work-rate-problem-with-solutions-118919.html
Mixture problems in a file with best solutions: http://gmatclub.com/forum/mixture-problems-with-best-and-easy-solutions-all-together-124644.html

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT Date: 10-01-2011
WE: Web Development (Consulting)
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 33

Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 18:53
I think in E, it is used to postpone the subject. It's not referring to anything. OA? Is it E? I am locked down between A and E.

If I look absent-minded or insane, I am just living a dream of being successful. If you still wonder why I am like this, you have no idea how success tastes like!

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 21:36
+ 1 for E.

The pronoun "it" is a "placeholder it". According to MGMAT SC guide, "placeholder it " do not have a antecedent. eg

It is good to excercise daily. (it here does not refer to any noun).

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 16 Jul 2011, 22:33
Just because of idiom (So A that B) I find 'E' as the best answer, However, I am having one basic doubt in the following sentences (sunbtituting original sentence with with Option E)

Students in the metropolitan school district are so lacking in math skills that it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries.

Shouldn't there be any conjunction between "economy and "becoming". I find it very difficult to understand what is becoming dependent on information-based industries. Is it "economy" or or everything after 'that' (it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy).

Am not a Native speaker of the English, so I may not be familiar with these kind of Sentences. Please help

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 93 [0], given: 37

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 00:24
You yourself answered the question.

"....becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries" modifies city economy.

Students becoming dependent on industries would not make much sense.

Crick
Manager
Manager
Concentration: General Management, International Business
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.6
WE: Project Management (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 39 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 04:02
yaa, I agree, however I didn't mean to say that there is any ambiguity, I just find this little awkward not to have any break before the modifying clause. & that means two independent clauses are joined without any conjunction:

Clause-1 : "it will be difficult to absorb them into a city economy"
Clause-2 : "(economy is) becoming ever more dependent on information-based industries"

if I try to frame a similar sentence
It is very difficult to live in Atlanta becoming ever more crowded

May be its just me who is finding it little awkward.

http://gmatclub.com/forum/a-guide-to-the-official-guide-13-for-gmat-review-134210.html

Manager
Manager
Schools: IE Business School, Manchester Business School, HEC Paris, Rotterdam School of Management, Babson College

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 4

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Alter intent [#permalink] New post 17 Jul 2011, 04:47
I guessed A

Image Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Re: Alter intent   [#permalink] 17 Jul 2011, 04:47