Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 18 Sep 2014, 10:19

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Subcategories for SC Forum

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 21 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 18:46
This post received
KUDOS
Hi BB,

I thi it is a very wierd suggestion but is it possible to create subgroups in the SC section where question on different topics can be segregated. It will help us to view all question on the topic as soon as we cover that particular topic.....

same can be followed for other sections also..

Every Problem Has a Sloution So keep working
AB

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
Affiliations: UA-1K, SPG-G, HH-D
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Information Technology (Hospitality and Tourism)
Followers: 2278

Kudos [?]: 8808 [0], given: 3667

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 14 Jun 2009, 20:46
Expert's post
apurva1985 wrote:
Hi BB,

I thi it is a very wierd suggestion but is it possible to create subgroups in the SC section where question on different topics can be segregated. It will help us to view all question on the topic as soon as we cover that particular topic.....

same can be followed for other sections also..

Thank you for the suggestion - I don't think it is weird and I will be happy to look into it.

What subcategories do you have in mind?

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator
Need GMAT Book Recommendations? Best GMAT Books

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 02:55
This post received
KUDOS
I think the best will be to divde SC Forum into 8 main categories in which SC is devided.i.e Paralleism, Subject-verb agreement, IDIOMS, pronouns etc.

AB

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 5

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 07:11
That is a great suggestion. I was stuck on some problems on which I wanted to go further into details of grammar. Referring back to the book sometimes takes up time and yet you still debate over that question. This forum would be a great platform to improve upon the commonly tested skills in SC and discussion always helps remember things better.
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Followers: 363

Kudos [?]: 1792 [1] , given: 358

GMAT ToolKit User GMAT Tests User Premium Member
Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 09:51
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
I would think about keywords for questions in both quant and verbal forums rather than creating subforums, such as PS and DS for math, weaken and strengthen for CR and so on.

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 10:31
Expert's post
walker wrote:
I would think about keywords for questions in both quant and verbal forums rather than creating subforums, such as PS and DS for math, weaken and strengthen for CR and so on.

Thank you Walker!
This is definitely one of the options and my feel is that this is preferred but I have not found a good tagging/classification system yet - started this morning and still searching.

Another option is to keep threads like these: 7-t56486 that provide listing of specific topical questions.

Founder of GMAT Club

Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... | Want to know your GMAT Score? Try GMAT Score Estimator

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 13:17
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bb wrote:
walker wrote:

Thank you Walker!
This is definitely one of the options and my feel is that this is preferred but I have not found a good tagging/classification system yet - started this morning and still searching.

Another option is to keep threads like these: 7-t56486 that provide listing of specific topical questions.

I think in math/verbal forums classification should be mandatory. In other words, "Submit" is enabled only if a user choose one of options (PS/DS). Moreover, in some cases you can make this classification automatically for older posts: 5 options - PS, 2 options - DS. Just a thought. You know that I don't like PS/DS separation in math forum... but I'm a strong supporters of tag-system :roll:

HOT! GMAT TOOLKIT 2 (iOS) / GMAT TOOLKIT (Android) - The OFFICIAL GMAT CLUB PREP APP, a must-have app especially if you aim at 700+ | PrepGame

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 20:16
This post received
KUDOS
bb wrote:
walker wrote:

Thank you Walker!

I think it will be a tedious job to do the way you have suggested as it has to be constantly updated by some one..... some thing should be there that is automatic, like the one suggested by walker that option will nt be activated untill you select an appropriate tag for the POST. I think there can be drop down menu before the subject line that can have all the tags which will help to differentiae btw different posts. So that way it will be user independent and will have a standard which will also help to search easily.........

AB

Expert Post
Founder
Founder

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 20:25
Expert's post
apurva1985 wrote:
like the one suggested by walker that option will nt be activated untill you select an appropriate tag for the POST. I think there can be drop down menu before the subject line that can have all the tags which will help to differentiae btw different posts. So that way it will be user independent and will have a standard which will also help to search easily.........

I do like Walker's suggestion.
The only consideration is that to find all Probability (for example) questions - you would need to sort everything by name...
The other weakness is that you could not give questions a difficulty rank easily.

Founder of GMAT Club

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 15 Jun 2009, 22:25
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
bb wrote:
The only consideration is that to find all Probability (for example) questions - you would need to sort everything by name...
The other weakness is that you could not give questions a difficulty rank easily.

Just a thought... Let's each first post in math/verbal would contain tags and difficulty, and every user could change them. Moreover, change processes would be easy, without changing a page, like editing tags in pop-up window and defining difficulty by clicking, let's say, one of 10 boxes in a row that represents difficulty level... difficulty would be defined as an average of all clicks.... So, any person could modify tags/difficulty properties of a first post.

... if a post is defined by tags, its title could be automatically modified like: "DS:700 Sqrt inequality" or "PS:550 Combinatorics". At the same time users would have an opportunity to use filter in math/verbal threads....

Director
Director
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 173 [0], given: 100

GMAT Tests User
Re: Subcategories for SC Forum [#permalink] New post 14 Aug 2009, 17:35
i LOVE combinations-permutations-and-probability-references-56486.html thread!!
Wish there were more of these..co-ordinate geometry,inequalities etc..people usually have problems in these..
I also like the CR 7-category suggestion cos that is exactly what I was looking for when I stumbled upon here..:)

countdown-beginshas-ended-85483-40.html#p649902

Re: Subcategories for SC Forum   [#permalink] 14 Aug 2009, 17:35