Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 13:20 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 13:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Re: The 2008 ZERO admits club [#permalink]
Thanks for the encouragement kwam, you're a champion :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Kwam, Kry, River in short all of you pouring encouragement for the royal members of the zero admits club. It sure is touching and very encouraging especially with the offers to help. Speaking for myself and no doubt a lot of members here...all of you are much more than peers and mentors...you're like the well connected uncles many of us never had.

Kudos to bsd for coming up with this thread...its so touchè!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
luckytown2010 wrote:
I've been lurking on this thread for a long time, planning on posting once I had some good news. I've pretty much been waitlisted across the board, so I thought I would share my story and see if you have any advice. I really appreciate the supportive GMAT club community, even though I haven't yet shown it. You guys have gotten me through some difficult times without even knowing it - so thanks, I owe you.

GMAT score: 760
Work Experience : 3 years
#Applications : 6
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 3
#WL : 3 (Columbia, NYU, Yale)

Which ding hurt the most and why?
I've only been dinged at Stanford and it didn't really affect me very much. I knew Stan was a longshot to begin with, and I gave up long ago when I didn't receive an interview. The waitlist at NYU really stung because I was fairly confident that I would be accepted there - I guess there's still a chance!

What next?
My profile is unlike anyone's I've seen on these boards or others. I've been in PR for three years, the first year at an agency and the last 2 at a hospital. I am seeking to gain a deeper understanding of the implications of the healthcare issues I deal with on a daily basis and land a strategy position either as a member of a healthcare team at a MC firm or an internal position at a healthcare organization. I've applied mostly to schools with strong MPH programs as well, with the intention of adding the joint degree once admitted. Ultimately, I'm hoping to specialize in crisis management (one of my main communications functions as a hospital spokeswoman).

I'm currently taking Accounting at NYU and microeconomics online (Berkeley extension). I'll submit those grades and visit a healthcare class at Columbia in 2 weeks. And then there's the waiting, as if we haven't done enough already...

I am also planning on applying to a top-ranked, part-time MPH program that my employer will sponsor. I am young (24) and believe I could benefit from this program and gain some skills that will make me more marketable in the future - especially if I decide to reapply. The recruiters at the school of public health, though I won't have as much involvement with recruiting as a part-time student, are actually a better fit for what I want to do post-grad. So, I'm questioning whether I need an MBA at all (thoughts?). I sometimes think that a program that is more learning-centric than career-centric might be a better fit, and they take the GMAT in lieu of the GRE, so my accomplishment there doesn't go to waste :-)

Of course, I'll still fight to get off the waitlists! And I have yet to hear from Haas (MBA/MPH) and Gtown (both R3).

Why the lack of success?
I think a combination of youth/inexperience + lack of quantitative background/quantitative job + atypical b-school candidate make me a wild card. Also, following the advice of Garrison Keiller a little too closely:

"Tim Russell: Learn something practical — something that gives you job skills and leads to a career — English!!! Why not get a business degree? What are you going to do with a B.A. in English?

GK: Live. Have a life. That's what."

Hey Luckytown, this is like deja vu.
My profile is pretty 'wildcard-y" too..

GMAT Score: 730
Indian, male, 30
Non-engineer.
7 years experience in India and HK.
Apps: 5 (HBS, W, Stanford, Kellogg, MIT)
Interviews: 2

I'm a copywriter - a creative person in an ad agency. Make ad films. Want to get into Strat Consulting.

Which ding hurt the most?
All of them! Think I wrote very interesting essays.
But especially Wharton. Had a great interview. Was told I was the most original interviewee she had met. A blue sky thinker, in fact. :lol:

What next?
After the process, I'm wiser for it. Wharton seems the best fit for me. Hopefully as a reapplicant I might have a better chance in R1 this year. Have to pump up my ECs.

Reason for lack of success:
My age, maybe. Older applicats seem to have it tougher this year.
My switch from a non-quant and lateral stream like Creative advertising into something like Strat Consulting may've been a bridge too far (you think?). Maybe I didn't make the connection too well.
I think with the economic and job market as frail as it is today, most b-schools have played it slightly safe and gone for candidates with maximum chances of getting recruited by companies.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Thanks, Kwam!!..BSD puts it well. you are a Champion..:)
Fellow zero admit clubbers, keep up the good work and aim for the jackpot next year.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks bsd, atlast something that I can relate and contribute to.

GMAT Score : 720
Work Experience : 3+ years.
Education: BE from unknown Indian school; MS from top 10 US univ., GPA 3.7
#Applications : 6 + 3 ongoing(oxford/cambridge/Texas-Ptime)
#Dings : 5 Columbia, Ross, Darden,Duke, Stern.
#Interviews : 2, Columbia, Cornell
#WL : 1, Cornell

Which ding hurt the most and why ?
Columbia hurt the most. It was my first app., and had worked months on it. Had a great interview, good f/b from interviewer raised my hopes. My interviewer gave me strong recos. for admission, she told me so after my ding. Why did they call me for an interview, when it did not matter? An indian IT guy like me should have atleast 750 for Columbia. And not even getting an interview from Darden was shocking.

What next ?
Wooing Cornell, but hopeless now. THey told me my career progression was weak, so I got a promotion and reported that. that didn't help, not sure what else to do, that was the only thing pointed out as weak in my profile, and I was told my interview was great.
Decided to give a shot at Oxford and Cambridge, and kiss US gbye. Cambridge last round aint going to work out anyway, but I've busted my butt for an year, can do it for some more days and hope for a miracle. It took a lot of courage to start writing essays after 5 dings and a WL and an year of giving up on life.

Also apping. to Texas-Mccombs PT, I live herw. This should work out, if Oxford/Cambridge doesn't work out, I'll go for this. Decided not to re-apply, there are lots of variables in my life at this point, not sure if I can stay committed and strenghten my profile with them.

Why the lack of success?
- Poor score for a 27/Indian/IT male, non-IIT background
- Lack of understanding of the semiconductor indutry by AD comms., this is NOT (infosys/wipro/TCS) IT, where one can become a project lead/manager in an year or two. Both the budgets and stakesin this industry are too high, and the project time-frames are in years. No offense meant to IT guys, just want to say my job is not the same as yours.
OR, my failure in BSing in my essays/resume about bringing out leadership/career progression. Look at it the way you want.
-Realizing only last year that I need to go do an MBA, if I knew I was going to do this, I would have switched jobs and done something interesting that could better demonstrated my career progress.

Sorry for sounding bitter! On the positive note I'm optimistic and looking forward to whatever comes in the next few years. After being down for a long time, I finally put one of my essays into practice. The essay was about what makes one happy .., I was amazed to be helped by my own writing!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
gmat_march, did you consider re-taking GMAT? A higher GMAT score can get you the nod from Cornell. Think about it...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Technically, I do not have 0 admit, but I have almost made my mind not to accept what I have and to pine for what I do not have :(

GMAT Score : 770
Work Experience : 3+ years
#Applications : 4
#Dings : 1
#Interviews : 3
#WL : 1 ( admit from other 2, which I am now not very eager to join)
Chicago hurt the most. Both of my recommendations failed to meet even the extended deadlines for recommendations. I did not even get an interview!
What next ?
Writing letters of intent to my waitlist school and preparing for next years application rounds.
Why the lack of success?
Not staretgizing properly and applying late. I started my Chi application essays 8-9 days before deadline. Did not apply to EA round for my target school even knowing that is my first choice ( but I had other concrete reasons for not applying to EA too), but the decision proved costly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Send PM
the 0 admit club has such great stats and profiles that any new member joining on here and thinking of applying in the fall would be overwhelmed by the level of competition. I believe we all must hang on here and make sure we apply to top choices in ED/ round 1 and help each other out any way we can. We are also fortunate to have admits who have promised to hang around and help out any way they can, so we have all the help needed.

Speaking of admits hanging around, where is Dosa ? guess he is vacationing some place exotic :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 308 [0]
Concentration: Health Care Marketing
Schools:Ross '10
Send PM
Yes, he is. In that tropical oasis called Cincinnati, OH.

pandeyrav wrote:
where is Dosa ? guess he is vacationing some place exotic :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Again, everyone has amazing stats. I hope you all get into your school of choice next round!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
it is sincerely the goal of many of us 2008-ers to help the reapplicants for 2009 all get in. :) Keep us on your radars for help.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
filmcity wrote:
Chicago hurt the most. Both of my recommendations failed to meet even the extended deadlines for recommendations. I did not even get an interview!

Ouch. I sort of know how you feel. One of my recommenders sent the letter on the actual application deadline date. Whew!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Really ? One of my recommenders submitted a day after the extended deadline had passed. I was still invited to interview. may be i just got lucky.

gmatclb wrote:
filmcity wrote:

Ouch. I sort of know how you feel. One of my recommenders sent the letter on the actual application deadline date. Whew!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
 Q49  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Now this is a club I can get behind :) :(

GMAT score: 760
Work Experience : 2 years
#Applications : 3 (withdrew 1)
#Dings : 2
#Interviews : 2
#WL : 0

Which ding hurt the most and why?
UNC. I fell in love with the school during the research process and felt like it was a great fit for me.

What next?
I left my previous job in business management with a construction company; right now, I'm helping Veritas expand into the Omaha/Lincoln area. I'm in the final interview stages for a software consulting/development gig with a small finance software firm here; if that works out, I think it's a great opportunity. If not, I have a few applications I'll be putting in shortly.

Beyond that, I'm really focusing on developing skills and abilities that I choose. Right now, I'm teaching myself to be better at Photoshop. Next, who knows?

Why the lack of success?
Youth and inexperience, I believe. My undergrad GPA wasn't stellar, but I finished my degree in 3 years and studied at Oxford, so my college resume isn't exactly weak.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Send PM
pandeyrav wrote:
Really ? One of my recommenders submitted a day after the extended deadline had passed. I was still invited to interview. may be i just got lucky.

gmatclb wrote:
filmcity wrote:

No. You were not lucky. That just corroborated my hypothesis that my application really sucked big time :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
filmcity wrote:
pandeyrav wrote:

No. You were not lucky. That just corroborated my hypothesis that my application really sucked big time :(

haha .. i guess that is a feeling all of us share here. We will do better this time. We have a great team to help us. All that collective effort cant go in vain.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Have any of my peeps from the Zero Admit Club been able to revoke their membership???
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5