Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 01 Sep 2014, 20:36

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The computer software being designed for a project studying

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

The computer software being designed for a project studying [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 19:01
1
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (02:04) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating

(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate

(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate

(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating

(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

Explain your choice between has and have
VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 20:12
arorag wrote:
The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating

(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate

(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate

(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating

(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

Explain your choice between has and have


Clearly its A
Comp. s/w is singular hence HAS is apt !!!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 194
Schools: MIT / INSEAD / IIM - ABC
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 7

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 20:20
arorag wrote:
The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating

(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate

(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate

(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating

(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

Explain your choice between has and have


It's between B & C....i will go for B: here infinitive form is required so "have" not "has".
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 20 Sep 2006
Posts: 658
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 62 [0], given: 7

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 20:49
Clear A. Subject is "computer software" -> Singular
2 KUDOS received
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 445 [2] , given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 21:21
2
This post received
KUDOS
arorag wrote:
The computer software being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education will not only meet the needs of that study, but also has the versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A) but also has the versatility and power of facilitating

(B) but also have the versatility and power to facilitate

(C) but it also has the versatility and power to facilitate

(D) and also have the versatility and power of facilitating

(E) and it also has such versatility and power that it can facilitate

Explain your choice between has and have



Tricky question guys..

Idiom: Not only X but also Y.

Software .. will not only meet X, but also have Y.

Software will not only meet X
but also software will have Y

Software has Y. (Correct)
Software will has Y (Wrong) [Will and has not go together.]
Software will have Y (Correct)


B is the answer.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Sep 2008
Posts: 106
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 21:50
Let's break it up :

Subject : The computer software -> singular
Participle that modifies the subject : being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education
Verb : will meet | the needs of that study (object)
(not only but also)<- conjunction
Verb: has | the (compound object) versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A)
_________________

Kick GMAT ass

SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 07 Nov 2007
Posts: 1829
Location: New York
Followers: 26

Kudos [?]: 445 [0], given: 5

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 21:55
Bidisha wrote:
Let's break it up :

Subject : The computer software -> singular
Participle that modifies the subject : being designed for a project studying Native American access to higher education
Verb : will meet | the needs of that study (object)
(not only but also)<- conjunction
Verb: has | the (compound object) versatility and power of facilitating similar research endeavors.

(A)



software being designed for the future purpose..

software [will] have vesatility and power of X

software has versalility and power of x (present tense whcih is wrong.
_________________

Your attitude determines your altitude
Smiling wins more friends than frowning

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 23 Apr 2008
Posts: 90
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 26 Sep 2008, 22:00
THE SUBJECT IS SINGULAR..'COMPUTER SOFTWARE'

THE COMPUTER SOFTWARE BEING DESIGNED......WILL NOT ONLY MEET.....BUT ALSO....

CLEARLY 'HAVE' DOESNT FIT IN HERE

IMO A
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 43
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 05:44
whts the OA..
i am really confused b/n "has and have"
_________________

Nik...
Score Big
time is Less WORK is more

Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 26 Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Schools: Tuck, Duke
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 07:28
Thanks to all. OA is B
Rule that I found after getting this one wrong :(

should/would/could/should/will/can/may/might/ought never take singular verbs

Furthermore In A- unidiomatic power of use
Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 22 Jul 2008
Posts: 43
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 27 Sep 2008, 07:57
arorag wrote:
Thanks to all. OA is B
Rule that I found after getting this one wrong :(

should/would/could/should/will/can/may/might/ought never take singular verbs

Furthermore In A- unidiomatic power of use


are you sure abt the rule,can anybody put some more light on it :?: :?:
_________________

Nik...
Score Big
time is Less WORK is more

VP
VP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1406
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 113 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 18:11
nikhiljain05 wrote:
arorag wrote:
Thanks to all. OA is B
Rule that I found after getting this one wrong :(

should/would/could/should/will/can/may/might/ought never take singular verbs

Furthermore In A- unidiomatic power of use


are you sure abt the rule,can anybody put some more light on it :?: :?:


OMG !!!
I marked A too in hurry worry !!!anyways rightly said will not only do X but also have Y is correct usage !!!
so A is uinidiomatic !!!and B is correct
Good question !!!
_________________

cheers
Its Now Or Never

Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 29 Sep 2008
Posts: 3
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 18:36
there is a rule for inclusives 'not only....but also":
subject+verb+not only+(noun + but also+(noun
adjective adjective
adverb adverb
prepositional phrase) prepositional phrase)
like entities should be used together(noun with oun, adj with adj). All forms must be parallel, which means we should use 'have"
the CA is "b"
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 23 May 2008
Posts: 840
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 18:37
definitely B

you cant say the software will has
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 18:58
bigtreezl wrote:
definitely B

you cant say the software will has


I agree that will does not take has. How ever, Why do we have to say that a will is implicit here?

The reason why I bring this up is because will is before not only and not after not only.

To make it more clear,

CS will not only meet X but also Y is different from CS not only will meet X but also will meet Y

Here we have the former and not the latter.
SVP
SVP
avatar
Joined: 17 Jun 2008
Posts: 1579
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 181 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 29 Sep 2008, 23:17
icandy wrote:
bigtreezl wrote:
definitely B

you cant say the software will has


I agree that will does not take has. How ever, Why do we have to say that a will is implicit here?

The reason why I bring this up is because will is before not only and not after not only.

To make it more clear,

CS will not only meet X but also Y is different from CS not only will meet X but also will meet Y

Here we have the former and not the latter.


The former has implied "will".....the later will require explicit "will".
The former can be re-written as "will not only meet x but also meet y".....this implies "will also meet y".

Whereas, ommiting "will" from the later will change the meaning of the sentence.
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 30 Jun 2006
Posts: 89
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 02:23
Some how I feel this is related to "tense". Anything planned for future "will have" rather than "has".
The software being designed "will have" certain features.
2 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 27 Sep 2008
Posts: 14
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 53 [2] , given: 0

Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 07:55
2
This post received
KUDOS
B

not only meets but also has would be a parallel structure
Likewise, it should be: not only meet but also have...

Hope this helps

If it makes sense please add to my kudos :) Thanks
VP
VP
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jul 2008
Posts: 1436
Followers: 33

Kudos [?]: 214 [0], given: 1

GMAT Tests User
Re: SC: The computer software [#permalink] New post 30 Sep 2008, 09:44
jainvik7 wrote:
Some how I feel this is related to "tense". Anything planned for future "will have" rather than "has".
The software being designed "will have" certain features.


I realized this after I shut down my laptop last night. The future use is what necessitates will.
Re: SC: The computer software   [#permalink] 30 Sep 2008, 09:44
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
The computer software being designed for a project studying apache 7 26 May 2007, 06:26
The computer software being designed for a project studying rkatl 1 25 Aug 2006, 18:59
The computer software being designed for a project studying joemama142000 14 22 Nov 2005, 10:59
The computer software being designed for a project studying Antmavel 9 12 Nov 2005, 07:45
1 The computer software being designed for a project studying swath20 10 09 Apr 2005, 14:41
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The computer software being designed for a project studying

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.