Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2335 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V43
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 660 [0]
Given Kudos: 162
Daboo: Sonu
GMAT 1: 590 Q49 V20
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 4690 [0]
Given Kudos: 463
GPA: 3.5
WE:Business Development (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: The Dean claimed that, as a result of continued cutbacks in [#permalink]
I have a doubt here.
We could also interpret option C as Physics PG students moving to Comp and Prog as a result of low budget for science research and thus an alternative to Physics career.
Then how does C weaken the argument ?

Also,A option suggests that more people would choose Physics at an undergraduate level which weakens the premise: fewer students are choosing a career in Physics and weakens the conclusion that the number of PG students will decline.

Can you please elaborate ?
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32942 [0]
Given Kudos: 5778
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakshamgmat wrote:
I have a doubt here.
We could also interpret option C as Physics PG students moving to Comp and Prog as a result of low budget for science research and thus an alternative to Physics career.

Also,A option suggests that more people would choose Physics at an undergraduate level which weakens the premise: fewer students are choosing a career in Physics and weakens the conclusion that the number of PG students will decline.

Correct Answer: C

Here is the Explanation:

The Dean concludes that the number of postgraduates studying physics is likely to decline. To weaken that conclusion we need to show that there need not be a decline. The best answer is C because it shows that physics students mainly choose careers in applied areas rather than a career in pure science, and it is the pure science that is affected by the cuts. The number of undergraduate students is really irrelevant unless we know something about the percentage that continue in the same field (eliminate A). What is happening in Chemistry is not clearly linked to Physics (eliminate B). Even if staff members increase we cannot be sure that postgraduate students will increase as the staff might be teaching undergraduates or the move might be to improve the staff/student ratio (eliminate D).
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Expert Reply
sakshamgmat wrote:
I have a doubt here.

Once again a typical GMAT-like structure - please refer to the post below:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/a-marriage-c ... l#p1807654

Here X: budget cut.
Y: students not opting for physics.

The conclusion here is that budget cut causes not opting for physics. (X causes Y)
Option C indicates that students are moving out of physics department (,and because of low number of students, the budget cut is implemented.) (Y causes X)

The part is blue is not explicitly stated in option C, but in the real GMAT, you may expect an explicit relation stated between X and Y.

Option A is wrong because it deals only with the conclusion. The correct answer must attack the LINK between the premise and conclusion (i.e. the argument) and not the conclusion in isolation. If you examine option A, you would realize that it has no bearing with the premise of the argument.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Schools: ISB'22 (I)
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
Premise - budget in physics is related to ppl having career in physics
Conclusion - less ppl in physics means less ppl doing post grad
We cant touch premise. Need to falsify relation held in conclusion, Choose option that does so.
Option C - Postgrad students need to make career in physics hence relation in conclusion does not hold true
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts