Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 20 Oct 2014, 16:42

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 309 [1] , given: 543

The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 05:33
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

35% (medium)

Question Stats:

75% (01:39) correct 25% (01:18) wrong based on 89 sessions
Attachment:
Roads.png
Roads.png [ 25.68 KiB | Viewed 3786 times ]
The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersection of three straight roads, each having parallel edges and each having the same width. what is the value of t?

(1) r = 140
(2) s = 160
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Last edited by Bunuel on 17 Jan 2013, 06:25, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 309 [1] , given: 543

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 06:05
This post received
KUDOS
My net was lagging and wouldn't let me upload the image.

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3601

Kudos [?]: 28654 [2] , given: 2808

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 17 Jan 2013, 06:33
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersection of three straight roads, each having parallel edges and each having the same width. what is the value of t?

(1) r = 140. Not sufficient.
(2) s = 160. Not sufficient.

(1)+(2) Consider the width of the roads to be 0 as shown below:
Attachment:
Roads.png
Roads.png [ 14.39 KiB | Viewed 2147 times ]
From the figure we have that r+s+t=360 degrees --> 140+160+t=360 --> t=60 degrees. Sufficient.

Answer: C.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Director
Director

Kudos [?]: 309 [0], given: 543

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 03:37
Seems a very basic question, but what other possible concepts are tested here? The official explanations was pretty convoluted had a parallelogram and all of that.

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2013, 22:05
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Roads.png
From the figure we have that r+s+t=360 degrees --> 140+160+t=360 --> t=60 degrees. Sufficient.

Bunnel

I have small doubt here

Suppose the length is not 0 then you will have two variables and you cannot solve the equation i.e the equation becomes

Suppose width=X

Then T= 360-3X-R-S

and here you have 2 variables and 1 equation you cannot get a single solution

Am i right?

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3601

Kudos [?]: 28654 [0], given: 2808

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 03:58
Expert's post
mydreammba wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Roads.png

Bunnel

I have small doubt here

Suppose the length is not 0 then you will have two variables and you cannot solve the equation i.e the equation becomes

Suppose width=X

Then T= 360-3X-R-S

Am i right?

No you are not. The edges of the road are parallel, so there is 0 degree angle between them.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Director
Director
Concentration: International Business, General Management
GPA: 3.86
WE: Accounting (Commercial Banking)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 16

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 19 Jan 2013, 06:57
Bunuel wrote:
mydreammba wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

Attachment:
Roads.png

Bunnel

I have small doubt here

Suppose width=X

Then T= 360-3X-R-S

Am i right?

No you are not. The edges of the road are parallel, so there is 0 degree angle between them.

Thanks Bunnel Got it

+1 Kudos If found helpful..

Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-25-2012
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 43 [0], given: 62

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 05:44
Quote:

Bunuel - can you please elaborate it further ? why do we need to make this assumption ?

Regards.

if my post helped you, let me know by pressing Kudos...

Expert Post
Affiliations: GMAT Club
City: Pune
GPA: 3.4
WE: Business Development (Manufacturing)
Followers: 153

Kudos [?]: 1001 [0], given: 931

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 14 Feb 2013, 07:19
Expert's post
anshunadir wrote:
Quote:

Bunuel - can you please elaborate it further ? why do we need to make this assumption ?

Regards.

Go thru the file attached. Then you will understand the point which Bunuel is making.

Regards,

Abhijit
Attachments

parallel lines.docx [11.83 KiB]
Downloaded 119 times

To download please login or register as a user

Be the coolest guy in the MBA Forum - Be a threadmaster!

Have a blog? Feature it on GMAT Club!

All MBA Resources All 'Sticky' Topics at one place

Please share your profiles for this application season: 2015 Profiles w/ Admit/Dings Results!

Next Generation GMATClub CATS with Brilliant Analytics.

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 5

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 05:25
Hi Guys,

I assumed Angle R = Angle S due to the parallel lines property. Hence for me each statement was sufficient. Why is R not equal to S?
Intern
Intern
Status: I am not a product of my circumstances. I am a product of my decisions
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q46 V38
GPA: 3.92
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 11 [0], given: 35

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 20:48
piyusharma wrote:
Hi Guys,

I assumed Angle R = Angle S due to the parallel lines property. Hence for me each statement was sufficient. Why is R not equal to S?

Because the two parallel lines you considered are not cut by the same traversal. So angle R is not equal to angle S.
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Followers: 1149

Kudos [?]: 5339 [0], given: 165

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect [#permalink] New post 25 Sep 2014, 21:55
Expert's post
piyusharma wrote:
Hi Guys,

Also note that in DS questions, the two statements never contradict each other. If you had assumed that angle R = angle S, the two statements should have told you that that is not true.
Statement 1 tells you that angle R is 140. According to you, then angle S should be 140 too. But statement 2 tells you that angle S is 160. This means there is something wrong in your assumption.

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Re: The figure above shows a construction plan for the intersect   [#permalink] 25 Sep 2014, 21:55