Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 16 Sep 2014, 17:56

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest,

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 22:03
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

100% (01:14) correct 0% (00:00) wrong based on 1 sessions
1. The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, most accessible sources of the ore they mine. Their success in reaching this goal, however, is not the sole factor determining the financial success of failure of a particular company. Profits for mining companies are largely dependent on prices determined by the global supply of a given ore, not the amount of the ore supplied by any one company.

Which of the following inferences about mining companies is best supported by the information above?

(A) Discovery of a new source of ore could result in a financial loss for some mining companies.

(B) Mining companies should not invest in locating new sources of ore.

(C) Mining companies are consistently profitable as long as global supplies remain stable.

(D) Mining companies need to offset fluctuations in global supply by discovering new sources of ore.

(E) Mining companies cannot be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 22:45
I go for E .
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 22:56
answer should be A
Intern
Intern
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 0

Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 05 Aug 2008, 23:10
x97agarwal wrote:
1. The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, most accessible sources of the ore they mine. Their success in reaching this goal, however, is not the sole factor determining the financial success of failure of a particular company. Profits for mining companies are largely dependent on prices determined by the global supply of a given ore, not the amount of the ore supplied by any one company.

Which of the following inferences about mining companies is best supported by the information above?

(A) Discovery of a new source of ore could result in a financial loss for some mining companies.

(C) Mining companies are consistently profitable as long as global supplies remain stable.

(D) Mining companies need to offset fluctuations in global supply by discovering new sources of ore.

(E) Mining companies cannot be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases.

I would go with (D) simply because the question says that to search for new ore could be 1 of the factor for financial success,So when the market is down then they can use this to offset the fluctuation.There needs to be some significance of the discovery of ore

Nik...
Score Big
time is Less WORK is more

Director
Director
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 172 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 05:04
good question. IMO A

B - extreme
C - no mentions of stability of global supply
D - goes against the argument... even if they find new sources .. there is no gurantee of financial sucess
E - qutes says the finding of new sources is not the sole factor... they can still make a profit due to other factors.....
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 190 [0], given: 6

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:44
IMO E
-- How discovery results financial loss? Financial success solely depends on profitability and global supply.

-- Too extreme

-- profit depends on the price of global supply NOT just on the supply

-- New source never offsets profit, as mentioned in stem
-- here we can say that profitability is not depending on the supply they mine.

If You're Not Living On The Edge, You're Taking Up Too Much Space

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 48 [0], given: 1

Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 06:52
x97agarwal wrote:

Between A) and E) I will chose E)
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [0], given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 08:12
Since it seems most people are stuck between A & E, I explain further why the answer is A), and why E is incorrect
nmohindru wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:

definitely supported - the key word is 'for SOME mining companies'. discovery of a new source of ore by 1 company will increase global supply => leading to POTENTIAL financial loss for some mining companies

the key here is 'cannot be' - this is an absolute statement, 1 counter case can prove this false.

mining companies Can be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases as long as either 1) the demand also increases or 2) their supply increase out grows the global supply increase.

Therefore this statement cannot be the answer

Between A) and E) I will chose E)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 71 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR) [#permalink] New post 06 Aug 2008, 09:50
OA is A.

Good explanation JasonC
Re: CR: Mining Company (good CR)   [#permalink] 06 Aug 2008, 09:50