Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 03:33 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 03:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 622 [1]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
Re: The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, [#permalink]
IMO E
(A) Discovery of a new source of ore could result in a financial loss for some mining companies.
-- How discovery results financial loss? Financial success solely depends on profitability and global supply.

(B) Mining companies should not invest in locating new sources of ore.
-- Too extreme

(C) Mining companies are consistently profitable as long as global supplies remain stable.
-- profit depends on the price of global supply NOT just on the supply

(D) Mining companies need to offset fluctuations in global supply by discovering new sources of ore.
-- New source never offsets profit, as mentioned in stem
(E) Mining companies cannot be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases.
-- here we can say that profitability is not depending on the supply they mine.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 487 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
x97agarwal wrote:
1. The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, most accessible sources of the ore they mine. Their success in reaching this goal, however, is not the sole factor determining the financial success of failure of a particular company. Profits for mining companies are largely dependent on prices determined by the global supply of a given ore, not the amount of the ore supplied by any one company.

Which of the following inferences about mining companies is best supported by the information above?

(A) Discovery of a new source of ore could result in a financial loss for some mining companies.

(C) Mining companies are consistently profitable as long as global supplies remain stable.

(D) Mining companies need to offset fluctuations in global supply by discovering new sources of ore.

(E) Mining companies cannot be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases.

Between A) and E) I will chose E)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Since it seems most people are stuck between A & E, I explain further why the answer is A), and why E is incorrect
nmohindru wrote:
x97agarwal wrote:
1. The goal of mining companies is to discover the richest, most accessible sources of the ore they mine. Their success in reaching this goal, however, is not the sole factor determining the financial success of failure of a particular company. Profits for mining companies are largely dependent on prices determined by the global supply of a given ore, not the amount of the ore supplied by any one company.

Which of the following inferences about mining companies is best supported by the information above?

definitely supported - the key word is 'for SOME mining companies'. discovery of a new source of ore by 1 company will increase global supply => leading to POTENTIAL financial loss for some mining companies

the key here is 'cannot be' - this is an absolute statement, 1 counter case can prove this false.

mining companies Can be profitable if the global supply of ore they mine increases as long as either 1) the demand also increases or 2) their supply increase out grows the global supply increase.

Therefore this statement cannot be the answer

Between A) and E) I will chose E)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1129 [0]
Send PM
OA is A.

Good explanation JasonC
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Can anyone explain the solution to this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
The answer is indeed A, but I disagree with the logic used by JasonC.

I don't believe that "some mining companies" refers to companies other than the one who discovered the ore. IMO, answer choice A clearly refers to the same company that discovered the ore.

The logic is as follows: Company X expends money to successfully discover new sources of ore -> The global supply of ore increases such that Company X cannot sell it's ore for a price that, at least, breaks-even on the cost of exploration -> The discovery of the ore thus results in a net financial loss for the Company X.

People may rush to discount my answer as one that relies on information external to the passage, but I believe it was Mike McGarry that said that the GMAT does assume some VERY BASIC business knowledge; I believe the fact that expenditures cost money, and the basic law of supply and demand fit into this category. Please correct me if I'm wrong about Mike's opinion on this.

I do totally agree with JasonC's explanation for the incorrectness of E, however!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts