Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 05:05

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
SVP
SVP
Schools: CBS
WE 1: 4 years (Consulting)
Followers: 31

Kudos [?]: 278 [0], given: 2

The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 15:35
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

15% (low)

Question Stats:

73% (01:55) correct 27% (00:50) wrong based on 436 sessions
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

The sky is the limit
800 is the limit

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 1

Reviews Badge
Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 04 Nov 2009, 15:40
C.
Idiom,
also pronoun quantity
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 9

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 05 Nov 2009, 14:54
"C". In E- "their" creates ambiguity.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 225 [0], given: 6

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 10 May 2010, 06:11
I picked (C) but I do not know what is gramatically wrong in E. Can someone shed some light on why (E) is incorrect?
Manager
Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 27 [0], given: 1

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 06 Jul 2010, 21:34
The problem with E is the usage of "their". It distorts the meaning of the sentence.
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 07:26
Gogoplata wrote:
C.
Idiom,
also pronoun quantity

What is the idiom that u have used here?
Manager
Manager
Schools: IIM, ISB, & XLRI
WE 1: B.Tech (Information Technology)

Kudos [?]: 7 [0], given: 5

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 08:42
I guess its C.

As per my understanding in option E 'Their' may point to either customers or Banks.

GMAT is an addiction and I am darn addicted

Preparation for final battel:
GMAT PREP-1 750 Q50 V41 - Oct 16 2011
GMAT PREP-2 710 Q50 V36 - Oct 22 2011 ==> Scored 50 in Quant second time in a row :-)
MGMAT---- -1 560 Q28 V39 - Oct 29 2011 ==> Left Quant half done and continued with Verbal. Happy to see Q39 :-)

My ongoing plan: http://gmatclub.com/forum/550-to-630-need-more-to-achieve-my-dream-121613.html#p989311

Appreciate by kudos !!

Expert Post
3 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 267

Kudos [?]: 1699 [3] , given: 249

Premium Member
Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 08:45
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks --- a bank –their – subject pronoun number disagreement
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check ------ same as A
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks --- right use of present subjunctive mood template ' X requires that Y do ' and Pronoun agreement --- disclose is the imperative base form of the subjunctive verb --- correct choice.
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check –---- right idiom is x requires Y to do . ‘X requires that Y should’ is wrong use of subjunctive mood verb as well as idiomatic format
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed --- Here the problem is more logical than structural. Certainly, it does not have to do with 'their' but with the singular check. Do the customers all present their own individual checks or do they present a single joint check? Doesn’t meet logic, does it?

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 3.65
WE: Project Management (Real Estate)
Followers: 6

Kudos [?]: 45 [0], given: 56

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 12:27
C is the answer. Option E is wrong because the meaning is not logical "all the customers don't have a joint check"
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: None
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 570 Q42 V27
GPA: 3.01
WE: Sales (Manufacturing)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 33

Re: The Gorton-Dodd [#permalink] New post 16 Sep 2011, 21:17
Definitely C.

E is passive too.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 27

Kudos [?]: 364 [0], given: 19

Premium Member
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 09:01
E is wrong because of use of passive voice.

point to note in option D, 'requires a bank that it should' - here should indicates a moral obligation while requires indicates that it is mandatory. These contradict each other.

Push +1 kudos button please, if you like my post.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 75 [0], given: 7

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 21 Mar 2012, 11:03
Picked C !!

E is too wordy and also passive ...

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 107 [0], given: 31

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:32
C is the correct incorporating correct structure with bossy verb "requires"

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 32 [0], given: 24

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 23 Mar 2012, 02:45
the correct answers is definitely C
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 23 [1] , given: 47

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 06 Jan 2014, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
noboru wrote:
The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks.

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks
(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check
(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed

C: We know that "it" refers to the bank, because the sentence says "its customers", which implicity means bank and not "bill". So, using "its" later on is not ambiguous, we already know that "it" refers to bank and not bill.

E) "to customers" is ambiguous because we do not know WHOSE customers we're talking about. A/B out because bank needs singular and they include "their", D out because "bill requires a bank that it SHOULD".. It requires that banks should? Makes no sense.
Director
Director
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Leadership
Schools: HBS '16
GMAT Date: 11-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 64 [0], given: 250

CAT Tests
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 16 Feb 2014, 10:34
e-gmat people please help,

I am your student.

In the Video of this explanation you have explained about subjunctive that I do not understand.

Like my post Send me a Kudos :) It is a Good manner.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 2

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 04:38
Bank (singular) + Disclose (Plural) .. isn't there a problem with this usage ?
Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 9 [0], given: 10

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 10 May 2014, 08:19
This post was
BOOKMARKED
hellonavin wrote:
Bank (singular) + Disclose (Plural) .. isn't there a problem with this usage ?

In subjunctive statements, we are required to use:
a. simple present tense form (for example: 'disclose')
b. always singular irrespective of the subject.
c. No "should" is to be added.

Just to explain subjunctive means demand or command verb like 'requires', 'ordered'. Here is the format:

Demanding verb (such as requires, ordered, etc) + THAT + ROOT form verb or BE (simple tense form such as 'disclose' above)

Some other examples from web are:

The Supreme Court decreed that he TAKE charge of the situation
I insist that the chairman resign!
I suggest that he study
The attorney proposed that the session be adjourned until the following day

Hope it helps

Cheers
Manager
Manager
GMAT Date: 10-13-2014

Kudos [?]: 17 [0], given: 119

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their [#permalink] New post 28 Sep 2014, 23:59

(A) that a bank disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from deposited checks - Plural Pronoun for singular noun

(B) a bank to disclose to their customers how long they will delay access to funds from a deposited check- Plural Pronoun and subjunctive structure error

(C) that a bank disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from deposited checks - Correct choice

(D) a bank that it should disclose to its customers how long it will delay access to funds from a deposited check - subjunctive structure error- Explained below

(E) that banks disclose to customers how long access to funds from their deposited check is to be delayed - whose customers, Also Wordy

Require is subjunctive it must follow - subjunctive + That + Subject + Be verb
- So B and D are out due to this error only

Consider +1 Kudos Please :)

Re: The Gorton-Dodd bill requires that a bank disclose to their   [#permalink] 28 Sep 2014, 23:59