Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 22:48

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The lifetime of all the batteries produced by a certain comp

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 37

The lifetime of all the batteries produced by a certain comp [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 20:34
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

73% (01:45) correct 27% (00:37) wrong based on 124 sessions
The lifetime of all the batteries produced by a certain company in a year have a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If the distribution has a standard deviation of d, what percent of the distribution is greater than m+d?

(1) 68 percent of the distribution lies in the interval from m-d to m+d, inclusive
(2) 16 percent of the distribution is less than m-d

Can sum1 explain the concept behind this...Looking at the answer I have come up with my own assumptions...
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA

Thanks,
VP

Last edited by Bunuel on 02 Feb 2012, 09:48, edited 1 time in total.
Edited the question
Expert Post
4 KUDOS received
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25049 [4] , given: 2702

Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 21 Sep 2010, 20:59
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
The lifetime of all the batteries produced by a certain company in a year have a distribution that is symmetric about the mean m. If the distribution has a standard deviation of d, what percent of the distribution is greater than m+d?

Symmetric about the mean means that the shape of the distribution on the right and left side of the curve are mirror-images of each other.

(1) 68% of the distribution lies in the interval from m-d to m+d, inclusive --> 100%-68%=32% is less than m-d and more than m+d. As distribution is symmetric about the mean then exactly half of 32%, or 16%, would be more than m+d. Sufficient.

(2) 16% of the distribution is less than m-d --> again, as distribution is symmetric about the mean then exactly 16%, will be more than m+d. Sufficient.

Answer: D.

Hope it helps.

NEW TO MATH FORUM? PLEASE READ THIS: ALL YOU NEED FOR QUANT!!!

PLEASE READ AND FOLLOW: 11 Rules for Posting!!!

RESOURCES: [GMAT MATH BOOK]; 1. Triangles; 2. Polygons; 3. Coordinate Geometry; 4. Factorials; 5. Circles; 6. Number Theory; 7. Remainders; 8. Overlapping Sets; 9. PDF of Math Book; 10. Remainders; 11. GMAT Prep Software Analysis NEW!!!; 12. SEVEN SAMURAI OF 2012 (BEST DISCUSSIONS) NEW!!!; 12. Tricky questions from previous years. NEW!!!;

COLLECTION OF QUESTIONS:
PS: 1. Tough and Tricky questions; 2. Hard questions; 3. Hard questions part 2; 4. Standard deviation; 5. Tough Problem Solving Questions With Solutions; 6. Probability and Combinations Questions With Solutions; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 12 Easy Pieces (or not?); 9 Bakers' Dozen; 10 Algebra set. ,11 Mixed Questions, 12 Fresh Meat

DS: 1. DS tough questions; 2. DS tough questions part 2; 3. DS tough questions part 3; 4. DS Standard deviation; 5. Inequalities; 6. 700+ GMAT Data Sufficiency Questions With Explanations; 7 Tough and tricky exponents and roots questions; 8 The Discreet Charm of the DS ; 9 Devil's Dozen!!!; 10 Number Properties set., 11 New DS set.

What are GMAT Club Tests?
25 extra-hard Quant Tests

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 37

Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 15:34
Thank you. I drew a diagram with normal distribution and came up with this assumptions...But now I am happy looking at ur explanations that my assumptions are true.
+1

Thanks,
VP

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 38 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User Reviews Badge
Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 22 Sep 2010, 15:42
Nice question. Key word was symmetric to clearly mark the answer as D

If you like my post, consider giving me some KUDOS !!!!! Like you I need them

Manager
Manager
WE 1: 5.0

Kudos [?]: 35 [0], given: 315

Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 15 Mar 2011, 23:31
Bunuel wrote:
The lifetime of all the batteries produced by certain companies have a distribution which is symmetric about mean m. If the distribution has a standard deviation of d , what percentage of distribution is greater than m+d?

Symmetric about the mean means that the shape of the distribution on the right and left side of the curve are mirror-images of each other.

(1) 68% of the distribution lies in the interval from m-d to m+d, inclusive --> 100%-68%=32% is less than m-d and more than m+d. As distribution is symmetric about the mean then exactly half of 32%, or 16%, would be more than m+d. Sufficient.

(2) 16% of the distribution is less than m-d --> again, as distribution is symmetric about the mean then exactly 16%, will be more than m+d. Sufficient.

Hope it helps.

OMG
You make all these horible definitions easier to breathe. i used to be of much fear when thinking of DS but when looking some explanations here, i feel the world is not so dark :oops: :?

Consider giving me kudos if you find my explanations helpful so i can learn how to express ideas to people more understandable.

SVP
SVP
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Followers: 30

Kudos [?]: 288 [0], given: 36

GMAT Tests User Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 16 Mar 2011, 21:49
This is all related to the concepts related to bell curve and normal distribution.

Bunuel/Ian, are these concepts tested in GMAT ?

Formula of Life -> Achievement/Potential = k * Happiness (where k is a constant)

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

Intern
Intern
Status: Manager, Indian Petroleum PSU (Rag picking to Signing Deals) 1 yr Consulting, 6 yrs in Oil&Gas and now Immortal Beggar for 700 above | My Hope: Non IT, Non Banking Indian male in Energy Sector|
GPA: 3.85
WE: General Management (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 13

Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 02 Feb 2012, 09:09
@ ghosh

bell curve is an important topic and often questions crop up.
i got one such in my gmat, though it was east, but the qs stem is verbose and one has to make out that its a qs on bell curve.

"To be Nobody but yourself in a world that's doing its best to make you somebody else, is to fight the hardest battle you are ever going to fight. never stop fighting" - E.E Cummings

It's not about the decisions u take, it's about the ones u don't. Period. - Anon

Mind is everything, u become what u think - Gautam Buddha

He who is not courageous enough to take risks will accomplish nothing in life - Muhammad Ali

-- Rgds
Black Gold Marketer
Day Dreamer

Expert Post
Math Expert
Followers: 3419

Kudos [?]: 25049 [0], given: 2702

Re: The lifetime of all the batteries produced by a certain comp [#permalink] New post 24 May 2013, 03:20
Expert's post
Director
Director
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 253 [0], given: 543

Re: SD symmetric about the mean [#permalink] New post 02 Jul 2013, 05:57
Bunuel wrote:

Hope it helps.

How valuable is the portion in red if you don't read the question carefully would have marked C instead of D!

Click +1 Kudos if my post helped...

Amazing Free video explanation for all Quant questions from OG 13 and much more http://www.gmatquantum.com/og13th/

GMAT Prep software What if scenarios gmat-prep-software-analysis-and-what-if-scenarios-146146.html

Re: SD symmetric about the mean   [#permalink] 02 Jul 2013, 05:57