Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 22 Oct 2014, 06:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The London Business School 2009 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
User avatar
Joined: 14 Nov 2008
Posts: 74
Schools: Chicago Booth 2011
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 4 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 20:49
Hey guys,

I have decided not to apply to LBS. I just don't have it in me to keep working on my apps...

I hope I am not making a big mistake I will regret in the future...

Good luck to all of you applying in R2 though!

krispy
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 25 Dec 2008, 22:28
Hi krispy sorry to hear that mate. Hope you change your mind and app R3.

Good luck.

krispy wrote:
Hey guys,

I have decided not to apply to LBS. I just don't have it in me to keep working on my apps...

I hope I am not making a big mistake I will regret in the future...

Good luck to all of you applying in R2 though!

krispy
Manager
Manager
avatar
Joined: 21 Mar 2006
Posts: 133
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 04:58
BSD_LOVER:

I have almost finished my essays and have got my recos submitted.
Only thing pending now is 1 page resume. I have 9 years of experience over 3 countries and 3 companies. Finding it really hard to fit things in one page. Also what should i WRITE HERE APART FROM already written in "responosbility" section in online application's section of employement history.

thnks,
abhay
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 05:46
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 06:00
Hey mate - that's not a new situation. I've got 9 years with 5-6 different roles thrown in. The whole point of the 1 page resume is to test your ability to see what is important and what is not. I cut all the crap (e.g. address, too many details about the company) from the resume and focused purely on the content.

No more than 1-2 bullet points per role. Also try using a smaller font and wider margins - every pixel helps. Think of the resume as something that will stand on its own. My interviewer had my resume but not my responsibilities section - and he made me specifically walk through my resume. Try to tailor the resume to that situation.

Cheers.


abhaypratapsingh wrote:
BSD_LOVER:

I have almost finished my essays and have got my recos submitted.
Only thing pending now is 1 page resume. I have 9 years of experience over 3 countries and 3 companies. Finding it really hard to fit things in one page. Also what should i WRITE HERE APART FROM already written in "responosbility" section in online application's section of employement history.

thnks,
abhay
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 06:01
Dewy have you joined the facebook group yet ? Also did you get access to the portal ?

Dewy wrote:
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 09:09
bsd_lover wrote:
Dewy have you joined the facebook group yet ? Also did you get access to the portal ?

Dewy wrote:
Anyone received your package from LBS? I received it via DHL today.

It comes in a nice package, quite classy.


Yes, I have joined the facebook group. Also managed to go into the portal. You can see all those who have been admitted in R1 in the portal.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Houston
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 14:15
I requested joining the LBS Facebook group for 2011 today but have not yet been granted access. Does anyone know who is the administrator and how they know if you've been accepted or not?

Without portal access yet, I'm ready to connect with LBS admits somehow!
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 18 Dec 2008
Posts: 6
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 0 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 17:35
UTdub wrote:
I requested joining the LBS Facebook group for 2011 today but have not yet been granted access. Does anyone know who is the administrator and how they know if you've been accepted or not?

Without portal access yet, I'm ready to connect with LBS admits somehow!


I think the administrator is a guy call Kai Min Ho. But his facebook account name is just Kai Min. You can actually see the names and some details of those admitted in R1 in the portal.

But I think the administrator is not so particular about who is granted access. There are some members of the facebook group who are from other years.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 18:22
Some people with early admits (such as myself) do have portal access - so we can verify the names of folks who are admitted. So Kai should be able to give you access straight away UT.

Dewy are you already a member ? Send me a pm.

Dewy wrote:
UTdub wrote:
I requested joining the LBS Facebook group for 2011 today but have not yet been granted access. Does anyone know who is the administrator and how they know if you've been accepted or not?

Without portal access yet, I'm ready to connect with LBS admits somehow!


I think the administrator is a guy call Kai Min Ho. But his facebook account name is just Kai Min. You can actually see the names and some details of those admitted in R1 in the portal.

But I think the administrator is not so particular about who is granted access. There are some members of the facebook group who are from other years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 18:30
Yeah, I just requested access to the Facebook group as well. There are a few of them, so I was waiting on which one would become the largest, and let natural selection take care of the other ones... :lol:

Still waiting for my package, though it may be a while (I'm moving to Australia on Sunday and not sure which country they sent the package to). If it ends up in the USA, my mom will probably have to forward it to me.

On the other hand, anyone know if the DHL packages have tracking numbers? I might email my coordinator and ask her if there is one (and pay DHL to redirect it to Oz).
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 10 Nov 2008
Posts: 46
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 19:02
how many ppl are in the facebook group you are talking about? i joined one that was posted on businesweek... it only has 12 people. if there is a more popular one, please provide link! thanks...
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 26 Dec 2008, 19:22
The largest one has 44 members now. It was posted on the portal. The link is :
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2 ... 317&ref=mf

getmeouttahere wrote:
how many ppl are in the facebook group you are talking about? i joined one that was posted on businesweek... it only has 12 people. if there is a more popular one, please provide link! thanks...
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Houston
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 14:16
Prashok - have you been granted access to the Facebook group? I'm still waiting...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
User avatar
Joined: 31 Jul 2008
Posts: 369
Location: London UK
Schools: LBS '11
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 22 [0], given: 3

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 18:09
Waiting as well...
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 78
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 18:38
Hey guys, I'm a R2 applicant, and I've gotta say, the more I read about LBS, the more excited I get. However, the one thing that bothers me a little is the cost - factor in the pound, the cost of living in London, and things start to get a little expensive. I'm wondering how you guys (especially internationals) are thinking about this, especially in the current economic downturn?

BTW, I'm not looking to get into investment banking or consulting post MBA (hours too long) and I'm starting to worry about graduating with a huge loan on my back. I'm also not from a rich family and already have a smallish loan I need to pay off - I'm in net debt right now ... mainly for personal reasons (illness in family).

What are your thoughts on this?
SVP
SVP
User avatar
Joined: 11 Mar 2008
Posts: 1634
Location: Southern California
Schools: Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 179 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 19:16
BSchoolorBust wrote:
Hey guys, I'm a R2 applicant, and I've gotta say, the more I read about LBS, the more excited I get. However, the one thing that bothers me a little is the cost - factor in the pound, the cost of living in London, and things start to get a little expensive. I'm wondering how you guys (especially internationals) are thinking about this, especially in the current economic downturn?

BTW, I'm not looking to get into investment banking or consulting post MBA (hours too long) and I'm starting to worry about graduating with a huge loan on my back. I'm also not from a rich family and already have a smallish loan I need to pay off - I'm in net debt right now ... mainly for personal reasons (illness in family).

What are your thoughts on this?


Have you seen the pound lately? $1.4633 per 1 Pound is the exchange rate. It's dirt cheap, but who knows how long it will last.
_________________

Check out the new Career Forum
http://gmatclub.com/forum/133

Current Student
avatar
Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 71
Location: Houston
Schools: Texas (accepted) , Chicago Booth (accepted), Stanford (denied), London Business School (accepted)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 19:24
I got into the facebook LBS group today, Prashok. FYI, I was never notified under my notifications or on my home page, I just clicked on the group link and got in.
Manager
Manager
User avatar
Joined: 05 Jun 2008
Posts: 78
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 14 [0], given: 0

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 27 Dec 2008, 20:47
Hey agold, I should have mentioned but I'm an Aussie - the Australian dollar has been hit hard, so the exchange rate for me is not good.
CEO
CEO
User avatar
Joined: 17 May 2007
Posts: 2995
Followers: 57

Kudos [?]: 442 [0], given: 210

Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink] New post 28 Dec 2008, 01:08
BSchool - the GBP is still at a near all time low against the AUD (appx 2.15) which is pretty good if you have a lot of AUDs stashed up. But if you're like me (i.e. empty cupboard) - you will need to secure financing via an HSBC loan. Total costs appx 85K GBP - so its not cheap. But you'll earn in pounds - you'll also secure internships. So its not that bad altogether. Think about folks from India etc. who are in a much worse state thank to weaker currencies. Also compare what an American MBA will cost --> 90KUSD for fees is more expensive that 45KGBP at the moment (in fact if you do the math you'll work out that based on the current rates LBS may actually work out cheaper than the US)

I know I'll need to work in the UK for a little while after the MBA to pay off the loan - But that was one of the aims post MBA anyway. I suppose it also depends on the personal loan situation - how bad is it ? How will you keep up with the requirements while not earning (and this applies to both US and London MBA programs).


BSchoolorBust wrote:
Hey agold, I should have mentioned but I'm an Aussie - the Australian dollar has been hit hard, so the exchange rate for me is not good.
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread   [#permalink] 28 Dec 2008, 01:08
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
4 London Business School Av 11 20 Nov 2010, 08:33
75 The London Business School 2011 Thread bpenn 1342 16 Jun 2010, 13:48
127 Experts publish their posts in the topic The London Business School 2010 thread pmenon 1314 25 May 2009, 10:27
London Business School Hjort 9 29 Jan 2005, 00:31
Display posts from previous: Sort by

The London Business School 2009 thread

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  29    Next  [ 561 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.