Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:19 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
mbaMission Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 335 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: To How Many Schools Will You Apply This Ye [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: To How Many Schools Will You Apply This Year?
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes be helpful in simplifying the many differences between the various MBA programs. Each week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

We recently surveyed a number of visitors to our site to get a feel for the concerns, plans, and mind-sets of this season’s MBA applicants. Now the results are in, and for those who are curious about their fellow applicants’ views on business school, we will be sharing some of the collected data in our B-School Chart of the Week blog series.

How many applications to submit is one of the first decisions you will make with regard to pursuing an MBA. Whether you are targeting just one program or many, applying to business school is rather time-consuming, and we were curious how much of a commitment candidates may be making to the process this season.

The respondents to our poll seem rather ambitious on this front—or may simply view several programs as their “dream” choices. When we asked visitors to our site, “To how many schools do you plan to apply this application season?,” just over one-fifth (20.5%) of the MBA hopefuls answered “6,” making it the top response. Accounting for 17.9% of the votes each, “4” and “5” were tied for the second most common. (In 2013, by comparison, the most common response was “5,” with “6” being the second most popular choice.) Interestingly, a not-insignificant portion—12.8%—indicated that they plan to apply to as many as eight programs, while 5.1% are up for the challenging feat of completing 15 applications this season.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: Winter Fun at Chicago Booth [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: Winter Fun at Chicago Booth
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

Business school candidates who decide to attend Chicago Booth can look forward—with approximately 500 of their closest friends in the community (partners are invited as well)—to the school’s annual ski trip, which takes place over winter break. The trip shifts locations each year, but in December 2013, more than 250 Chicago Booth students and partners traveled to Steamboat Springs, Colorado. After a full first day of skiing and snowboarding, trip attendees enjoyed back-to-back themed parties—donning their “most radical attire,” as one first-year student stated in a January 2014 post on The Booth Experience blog, for an ’80s-themed happy hour before partying late into the night at a “Heaven and Hell” rave. Other activities on the 2013 trip included a flip cup tournament, a pub crawl, a grilled cheese bake-off, and a visit to a local hot spring. Students and partners who were not interested in skiing or snowboarding could take advantage of Steamboat Springs’ other offerings, such as bumper cars on ice, snowmobiling, and snowshoeing. Also, members of the Chicago Booth Ski and Snowboard Club participate in the annual Tuck Winter Carnival (at Dartmouth), for which many of the country’s top business schools send teams to compete in a ski race—though we learned the event tends to be more about beer than competition.

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Chicago Booth and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: An MBA for Working Professionals at Villanova [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: An MBA for Working Professionals at Villanova
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

In 2013, the Villanova School of Business (VSB) received a $50 million gift from alumnus James C. Davis, founder of Allegis Group, and his wife, Kim. The donation—part of a $600M capital campaign—was the largest in the school’s history and was reportedly “earmarked to improve academic and career advising, increase internship and study abroad opportunities, perform technology upgrades, and provide scholarships,” according to Bloomberg Businessweek. The VSB also planned to use a portion of the funds to “beef up its faculty roster to include more professors focused on teaching as opposed to research.”

With a satellite campus in Center City, Philadelphia, VSB specializes in part-time programs for working professionals, allowing them to enjoy the benefits of a full-time curriculum without leaving their current job. In this vein, the school offers the choice of an accelerated, two-year “Fast Track” degree option, which meets twice a week, or the more customizable “Flex Track” degree option, which typically takes three years to complete and accommodates varying course loads.

One advantage conferred by the accelerated option is the opportunity to partake in the school’s two-part consulting practicum project, which includes the Nonprofit Consulting Practicum and the Global Consulting Practicum capstone course—each lasting 14 weeks. In the former practicum, students work with local, nonprofit organizations to identify strategies in such areas as branding, funding and membership retention. Alternatively, the latter practicum entails working with a multinational corporation to gain firsthand experience analyzing market issues. VSB also hosts a variety of elective international immersion courses through which students may travel abroad over winter break or during the summer semester.
Send PM
Friday Factoid: CBS’s End-of-the-Semester Push [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: CBS’s End-of-the-Semester Push
With the month of December right around the corner, first-year Columbia Business School (CBS) students will soon be entering the last big push of their first semester, with finals wrapping up and the next semester not beginning until mid-January. The end of regular classes at the school is traditionally marked by CBS Follies, a student-run comedy and entertainment show, as well as an End of Semester Party, and those looking to stay involved with CBS and their classmates during the holiday break have plenty of opportunities to do so. Many students go abroad during the break to such places as Korea, Brazil, and Australia on Chazen Study Tours or as part of consulting projects through the International Development Club. And students wishing for a complete break from the classroom can take part in the Snow Sports Club’s annual Winter Ski Trip in early January. Although the long break can offer a welcome rest from the stress of first-semester classes, recruiting season for first years begins once they return to campus for second semester. So, one way or another, this is a good time for CBS students to clear their heads.

For more information on CBS or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
GMAT Impact: First Glance Exercises for Sentence Correction [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: GMAT Impact: First Glance Exercises for Sentence Correction
With regard to the GMAT, raw intellectual horsepower helps, but it is not everything. In this blog series, Manhattan GMAT’sStacey Koprince teaches you how to perform at your best on test day by using some common sense.

For the past few weeks, we have been learning the four-step Sentence Correction (SC) Process. (If you have not read that three-part post yet, go do so now!) People are excited about the opening step, the First Glance, and have asked for more exercises to help them learn how to become a First Glance Expert.

For instance…

Does the length of the underline tell you anything? If so, what?

What about the very first word of the underline? Or the last word right before the underline starts?

And what about the differences among the first words of each answer choice? Does anything strike you there?

Fantastic clues often exist in these areas, but you need to learn how to translate them. As with any study we do for the GMAT, our real learning comes before the clock starts ticking. Take all the time you need to analyze already-completed questions to figure out how to spot and react to certain types of clues. Then, when the test starts, you will know what to look for, and you will be able to react immediately when you spot a useful clue!

First, read the SC Process posts (the three-part series linked above). Next, grab your copy of the Official Guide 13th Edition (OG13).

Finally, start trying out the exercises detailed in the article “Get the Most Out of Your First Glance.”

Plan to spend a few weeks working on this a little bit every day before you start to spot most of the types of clues that can pop out at you during your first glance at the problem. Have fun!
Send PM
MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: If I Am Not Accepted in Round 1, I Wil [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Admissions Myths Destroyed: If I Am Not Accepted in Round 1, I Will Apply in Round 2!
As you head into application season, what strategy do you have in mind? More than a few B-school candidates—having likely read about the supposed advantages of applying in Round 1 on various Web sites and discussion boards—plan to submit all their applications in that first round, with the idea that if no acceptances are forthcoming, they will just submit another set of applications in Round 2. If this is your plan, we ask that you step away from your stack of applications for a moment while we explain why this is probably not your best course of action.

Most Round 1 deadlines are in October, and even though often applicants may receive a kind of “progress report” in the form of an interview invitation in November, this is no guarantee of eventual acceptance. Ultimately, then, applicants will not know for sure whether they have won a spot at any of their target schools until mid- to late December. So let us imagine the worst-case scenario: You submit all your applications in Round 1 but are not accepted at any of your target schools. Now, feeling discouraged and unsure of your application strategy—not to mention dealing with the hustle and bustle of the holidays—you must quickly research and select new schools, rethink your approach, and crank out still more applications in the space of just a few weeks to be able to submit in Round 2—to schools that you may not even be that enthusiastic about. And do not forget that you will also need to pressure your recommenders during this busy time of year to produce more documents on your behalf on a very tight deadline!

Are you rethinking your strategy yet?

We recommend that instead, you change your mind-set from “If I don’t get into schools in Round 1, I will apply in Round 2” to “I am applying to some schools in Round 1 and some in Round 2, and hopefully I won’t have to finish my Round 2 applications.” With luck, you will not need to complete the applications you have slated for Round 2, but if you plan ahead, do not overload yourself with too many applications in the first round, and work steadily on your applications over several months, you will be in a much better place both mentally and with your required workload if you should have to move ahead with your Round 2 submissions. And if, in the end, you get accepted early or receive multiple offers of admissions from your first-round applications, you will have lost nothing more than a little time!
Send PM
Monday Morning Essay Tip: Introduce Without an Introduction [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Monday Morning Essay Tip: Introduce Without an Introduction
Most American high school students are taught to write essays that have a formal introduction, a body that supports that introduction, and a conclusion that reinforces the main point presented in the introduction. Although this approach and structure make for easily comprehensible academic work, business school application essays are constrained by word count, so candidates often have to use alternative, less lengthy openings, not having the luxury of “wasting” 100 words to introduce their topic.

We recommend sometimes using the “non-introduction” introduction, depending on the context and pace of your story. If you have a gripping opener that places your reader in the middle of a scenario, we suggest that you launch right into your story to grab and keep the reader’s attention.

Consider this traditional introduction:

“Throughout my career, I have strived to continuously learn and develop as a manager, frequently taking enrichment courses, seizing mentorship opportunities and seeking frank feedback from my superiors. When my firm staffed me on its $4.5M Oregon Project (our highest-profile product launch in a decade), I considered it a tremendous opportunity to deliver and never imagined that it would become the greatest test of my managerial abilities.

“When I arrived in Portland, I discovered a project deemed so important by our firm that it was overstaffed and wallowing in confused directives from headquarters in Chicago. I quickly surveyed the situation and began to create support for changes to…”

What if this essay, under the pressure of word limits, were to begin with a slightly modified version of the body?

“When I arrived in Portland, I discovered that my firm’s $4.5M Oregon Project—our highest-profile product launch in a decade—was overstaffed and wallowing in confused directives from headquarters in Chicago. I quickly surveyed the situation and began to create support for change…”

In this case, approximately 70 words are saved, and the reader is immediately thrust into the middle of the story, learning how the writer jumped into the Oregon Project and ultimately saved the day. Although the “non-introduction” introduction should not be used for every essay, it can be a valuable tool when applied with discretion.
Send PM
Mission Admission: What Makes a Good Thank You Note? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Mission Admission: What Makes a Good Thank You Note?
Mission Admission is a series of MBA admission tips; a new one is posted each Tuesday.

After visiting campus or interviewing, many business school candidates choose to write thank you letters to their respective hosts. But what makes a good thank you note?

Personalization: When writing to your host/interviewer, show sincerity by personalizing your letter. By handwriting your letter and mentioning specifics about your conversation and experiences, you will continue to foster your connection with your interviewer and show that your interaction truly made an impression.

Brevity: Your letter should be no more than a few sentences long. If you write several paragraphs, you run the risk of creating the negative impression that you are trying too hard or do not respect limits (possibly even suggesting that you might carry on too long in class). By being brief and sincere, you will instead make a powerful impression that will yield results.

Speed: Ideally, send your letter within 24 hours of your visit and within two days at the most. Most interviewers must submit their reports very soon after the interview, and your thank you note will have a better chance of positively influencing this report if it is received before the report is submitted. Also, after too long, your interest may logically fall into question, or your host may simply forget some of the details of your conversation that you are trying to reinforce. By writing your letter immediately, you will give the impression that you have been energized by the experience and are eager to maintain your connection.

Thank you notes are generally not a “make or break” aspect of your candidacy, but they can establish continuity and demonstrate your continued interest to your target school’s representatives. We encourage candidates to follow up with such notes because they are a low-cost way of reinforcing a positive impression and relationship.
Send PM
MBA News: How to Ace a Professional Interview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: How to Ace a Professional Interview
Whether for admission to an MBA program, a desired job, or any other purpose, an interview can often determine an individual’s future. Unlike with essays and other written application materials, in a live interview, you cannot ponder your responses, reveal your personality through text, or change your answers after the fact. You must therefore be prepared to illustrate—on the spot—your potential and strengths by projecting the appropriate demeanor, offering astute replies, and making a connection with your interviewer.

In an effort to help MBA hopefuls and career-minded individuals master this often stressful process, mbaMission Senior Consultant and Chicago Booth MBA and former Dean’s Admissions Committee member Angela Guido recently published an article on Poets & Quants covering the many ins and outs of professional interviewing. Angela advises, for example, that all candidates arrive at their interview knowing the answers to the following questions:

• Who are you?

• What do you want to gain?

• Where have you struggled?

• What did you learn from those struggles?

• What are your most substantial accomplishments (and how did you achieve those successes)?

• What has been your reasoning behind some of the decisions you have made throughout your career?

See the full article on Poets & Quants for all her in-depth guidelines.
Send PM
MBA Career Advice: Thank You! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA Career Advice: Thank You!
In this weekly series, our friends at MBA Career Coaches will be dispensing invaluable advice to help you actively manage your career. Topics include building your network, learning from mistakes and setbacks, perfecting your written communication, and mastering even the toughest interviews. For more information or to sign up for a free career consultation, visit www.mbacareercoaches.com.

When you interview, you should always follow-up with your interviewer/s to thank them – and we repeat “always”! In doing so, you will have an opportunity to show that you were an active listener and internalized your interview, while also revealing some basic standards of courtesy and respect. So, when you follow-up with your note (and by “note” we mean e-mail!) it needs to contain some specific content which relates to the experience itself. Let’s consider two approaches….

Janet,

Thank you so much for taking the time to meet with me earlier today. I appreciate your giving me a chance to discuss my fit with your firm and the skills that I would bring to the table. I enjoyed learning about your history with your firm and its strengths and even its challenges. I look forward to learning more and appreciate you connecting me with your colleague.

Sincerely,

Robert

Oh, Robert! You may have actually meant what you just wrote, but it came across so completely generically that Janet could not possibly have believed that you were listening or trying to make an impression! Instead of this pitiable attempt, you might offer some details which make it clear that you were present:

Janet,

Thank you for taking the time to meet with me earlier today – I appreciated your candor in discussing the challenges facing your industry, but, it is clear from our discussion that your team is taking an aggressive stance in defending its market share. I am hopeful that I can bring my background in big data analytics to help you take customer acquisition to a deeper level. As you suggested, I have already followed up with your colleague to schedule a time to meet with his team.

Sincerely,

Robert

In the latter example, Robert peppers his letter with specifics that reveal that he was actively listening – that he was and is interested. Simple phrases like, “candor in discussing challenges facing your industry” or “take customer acquisition to the next level,” prove that Robert was engaged. In a mere three sentences, with this thoughtful note, Robert has sent a clear and concise message! Interviewing for business school? The same rules apply: make specific statements about your conversation and make a much more memorable impression!
Send PM
Professor Profiles: Margaret Neale, Stanford Graduate School of Busine [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Professor Profiles: Margaret Neale, Stanford Graduate School of Business
Many MBA applicants feel that they are purchasing a brand when they choose which business school to attend, but the educational experience itself is crucial to your future, and no one will affect your education more than your professors. Each Wednesday, we profile a standout professor as identified by students. Today, we focus on Margaret Neale from the Stanford Graduate School of Business (GSB).

One former GSB student described Margaret (Maggie) Neale (“Managing Groups and Teams” and “Negotiations”) to us at mbaMission as “somewhat intimidating” but quickly followed with “I love her teaching style! She pushes each student way out of their comfort zone to make them a better negotiator using whatever style is appropriate for the situation.” Neale’s research is based on the psychology of conflict and negotiation. She was the Graduate School of Business Trust Faculty Fellow for 2011–2012 and serves as faculty director of two of Stanford University’s executive programs—Influence and Negotiation Strategies, and Managing Teams for Innovation and Success—and as codirector of the Executive Program for Women Leaders.

A first year described Neale to mbaMission as “wonderful, legendary,” adding, “She’s been around the Stanford community for a long time. She is very popular, engaging and friendly. If you have the opportunity to take a class with her, you should. But be warned, her classes are oversubscribed.” In 2011, she became the 13th recipient—and first woman—to be presented with the business school’s Davis Award, which is bestowed upon a faculty member for lifetime achievement.

For more information about the Stanford GSB and 15 other top-ranked business schools, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
Beyond the MBA Classroom: 37 Years of Wharton Follies [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Beyond the MBA Classroom: 37 Years of Wharton Follies
When you select an MBA program, you are not just choosing your learning environment, but are also committing to becoming part of a community. Each Thursday, we offer a window into life “beyond the MBA classroom” at a top business school.

The Wharton Follies is both an annual musical comedy production that pokes fun at MBA life at Wharton and one of the school’s largest clubs, and it affords students the opportunity to shine in both creative and business roles. Entirely written, produced and performed by students and boasting a six-figure budget, it is one of the largest and longest-running such productions at any graduate program. Follies has run at Wharton for 37 years and typically features prominent members of the administration (including the dean, vice dean and director of admissions) and popular faculty members in cameo appearances.

The specific theme changes every year. In 2014, the theme was “The Book of Wharton,” in 2013, it was “It’s a Whartonful Life,” and in 2012, it was “How to Succeed in Business Without Really Trying.” In addition to a live component, the Follies typically involve a number of video sketches, such as 2014’s “Lord of the GSR,” a play on Lord of the Flies wherein a group of students become trapped in a graduate study room. The 2013 sketch “MBAs Assemble a Malm Bed from IKEA,” which depicts students from various top-ranked business schools proposing different strategies for furniture assembly, is especially notable, with more than 70,000 views as of this posting. A second year with whom we spoke explained that part of the appeal of Follies is that it “show[s] off student talent that you wouldn’t otherwise be able to witness.”

For in-depth descriptions of social and community activities at Wharton and 15 other top MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider ’s Guides.
Send PM
B-School Chart of the Week: What Is Most Important When Choosing a Sch [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: B-School Chart of the Week: What Is Most Important When Choosing a School?
Although quantifying a school’s profile certainly does not tell you everything, it can sometimes be helpful in simplifying the many differences between the various MBA programs. Each week, we bring you a chart to help you decide which of the schools’ strengths speak to you.

We recently surveyed a number of visitors to our site to get a feel for the concerns, plans, and mind-sets of this season’s MBA applicants. Now the results are in, and for those who are curious about their fellow applicants’ views on business school, we will be sharing some of the collected data in our B-School Chart of the Week blog series.

This year, we asked MBA hopefuls what was most important to them when selecting which business school to attend. Well over one-half of our survey respondents (56.4%) cited “reputation/ranking” as their primary criteria for MBA program selection, while “professors/academic resources” and “recruiters/corporate connections” tied for a distant second place, with 15.4% of the votes each. Trailing the list of school factors under consideration were “location,” “alumni base,” and “cost/tuition”—which received just 5.1%, 5.1%, and 2.6% of responses, respectively.

These results were not surprising to us at mbaMission, given that every year, we see candidates target certain programs solely because of those schools’ reputations. And although the top schools undoubtedly have outstanding strengths and resources, we always encourage applicants to look beyond the stereotypes to identify the program that truly fits their needs best. We created our Insider’s Guides series for the express purpose of helping candidates do just that and hope that whatever your personal criteria may be, you find the right school to fulfill them.

Send PM
Diamonds in the Rough: Krannert for STEM Professionals [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Diamonds in the Rough: Krannert for STEM Professionals
MBA applicants can get carried away with rankings. In this series, we profile amazing programs at business schools that are typically ranked outside the top 15.

As technical knowledge becomes increasingly relevant across diverse industries, many MBA programs seem to be vying to dominate the intersection of science and management education. Supplementing its global focus, Purdue University’s Krannert School of Management has developed two programs specifically targeting students with a background in science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM). In June 2014, Krannert launched a one-year, full-time MBA program for STEM professionals that is designed to bring management education to applicants who possess three to five years of work experience in a technical field. In addition, the school now offers a similar 21-month weekend MBA option that begins each year in August.

These specialized programs reflect, as Bloomberg Businessweek suggests, the growing role of STEM professionals in entrepreneurship, consulting, and managerial positions. Each of Krannert’s programs consists of two career tracks, with one for entrepreneurs and another for those looking to join larger companies. The full-time curriculum entails a summer session and four modules that combine a business core and a wide selection of electives with STEM-related case studies and learning projects. As Dean Christopher Earley avowed, “Krannert is uniquely positioned to provide this program because it is a business school integrated into one of the world’s leading STEM-focused universities.”
Send PM
Wharton Is Back with Its Team-Based Discussions—And So Are We! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Wharton Is Back with Its Team-Based Discussions—And So Are We!
Once again, the Wharton School at the University of Pennsylvania is using its team-based discussion format to evaluate MBA candidates, in place of a traditional admissions interview. Understandably, Wharton applicants get anxious about this atypical interview, because the approach creates a very different dynamic from what one usually encounters in a one-on-one meeting—and with other applicants also in the room, one cannot help but feel less in control of the content and direction of the conversation. So, we at mbaMission created our Team-Based Discussion Simulation service to give candidates the opportunity to undergo a realistic test run before experiencing the actual event and to therefore understand how best to navigate and prepare for the discussion.

Via this 90-minute simulation, applicants participate anonymously with three to five other candidates in an online conversation moderated by two of our experienced Senior Consultants familiar with Wharton’s format and approach. All participants then receive feedback on their performance, with special focus on their interpersonal skills and communication abilities. Our goal is to help candidates develop a sense of comfort with the group interview configuration and be prepared to enter their actual team-based discussion feeling both relaxed and confident. The simulation builds confidence by highlighting your role in a team, examining how you communicate your ideas to—and within—a group of (equally talented) peers, and discovering how you react when you are thrown “in the deep end” and have to swim. Our Wharton Team-Based Discussion Simulation allows you to test the experience so you will be ready for the real thing.

To learn more or sign up, visit our Wharton Team-Based Discussion Simulation page.

Send PM
Friday Factoid: Entertainment and Media at NYU Stern [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: Friday Factoid: Entertainment and Media at NYU Stern
The annual ProMotion Pictures Film Competition at New York University’s (NYU’s) Stern School of Business is a joint effort by Stern and NYU’s Maurice Kanbar Institute of Film and Television and sponsored by a different corporation each year. In this competition, Stern and Kanbar students develop short films based on the sponsor’s specifications regarding content, length, and brand message. The films are judged by a panel of advertising and marketing executives, and the winning teams are given access to the resources of partnering media, entertainment, and communications companies to assist in screenplay production. The finished films—which are debuted at New York’s Tribeca Film Center—may be used by the sponsoring brand as part of the parent company’s advertising campaign. The 2013–2014 competition sponsors were The Innocence Project and Subway Fresh Artists, and past sponsors have included Axe, Heineken, Johnnie Walker, Subway, Verizon, and Volvo. Winners can receive cash payouts, including $5,000 for “The Brand Prize” and $10,000 for “The People’s Choice Prize.” In 2014, two winning teams created apps for Spotify, and the winning filmmaker created a five-minute short piece for Armani Eyewear.

This competition is just one part of Stern’s Entertainment, Media, and Technology (EMT) specialization. The school also supports students interested in Entertainment and Media careers with the Media, Entertainment, and Sports Association (which sponsors a three-day career trek to Los Angeles) and an annual trip to the Cannes Film Festival. Those interested in EMT will find much that caters to their needs.

For more information on NYU Stern or 15 other leading MBA programs, check out the mbaMission Insider’s Guides.
Send PM
MBA News: Catalyst Report Shows a Lack of Female MBAs in Tech [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM mbaMission Blog: MBA News: Catalyst Report Shows a Lack of Female MBAs in Tech
A thought-provoking report published recently by Catalyst (titled “High Potentials in Tech-Intensive Industries: The Gender Divide in Business Roles” and summarized in an article on the Catalyst Web site) reveals an evident shortage of women in the technology industry.

The report—which was based on survey responses from 5,916 male and female MBA graduates working in various professional fields—indicated that only 18% of the female respondents reported having taken a business role in technology after obtaining their MBA (compared with 24% of the men). Of that 18%, over one-half later opted to leave technology for positions in other professional fields. The reason? Most women who took the survey (73%) cited feeling like an outsider in the male-dominated science, technology, engineering, and math (STEM) workplaces.

Catalyst is a leading nonprofit organization dedicated to the expansion of opportunities for women in business. According to Catalyst President and CEO Deborah Gillis, “STEM companies face a serious talent drain as women take their skills elsewhere, but these organizations also have a remarkable opportunity to turn things around by focusing on how they can make all their talent—men and women alike—feel equally valued.”
   1  ...  19   20   21   22   23  ...  179   
Moderator:
1452 posts