Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 06:11 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 06:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [9]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [1]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
MBA Section Director
Affiliations: GMAT Club
Own Kudos [?]: 10013 [0]
Given Kudos: 4542
Test: Test
Send PM
Re: The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence [#permalink]
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, and will take lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people

1. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, and will take lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people

2. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but will take lot of resources for accomplishing the grade, an effort that will enervate and tire the people

3. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, besides taking lot of resources to accomplish the grade for enervating and tiring the people

4. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, which takes lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people
5. The right kind of language skills are those, which while giving us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but take lot of resources to accomplish the grade, to enervate and to tire the people

IMO C

Two Independent clauses separated by comma and coordinating conjunction(fanboys) should each have a subject and a verb.

A) In Original choice, The second independent clause will take lot of resources......... does not have subject and thus it becomes sentence fragment.

B) Here is also same mistake repeated with but

C) The Modifier 'besides taking........tiring the people' refers to The right kind of language skills. The sentence has only one independent clause.

D) which modifies the customers and thus implies that customers takes lot of resources.

E) Redundant and Incorrect use of but
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Re: The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence [#permalink]
daagh wrote:
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, and will take lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people

1. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, and will take lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people

2. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but will take lot of resources for accomplishing the grade, an effort that will enervate and tire the people

3. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, besides taking lot of resources to accomplish the grade for enervating and tiring the people

4. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, which takes lot of resources to accomplish the grade that will enervate and tire the people
5. The right kind of language skills are those, which while giving us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but take lot of resources to accomplish the grade, to enervate and to tire the people

I would go for B..

parallelism..will give..but will take...

Posted from my mobile device
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2261 [2]
Given Kudos: 276
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard, Columbia, Stern, Booth, LSB,
Send PM
Kudos
Daagh, I must tell you that option A is really close. Nice work, keep it up and congrats for taking Verbal Expert position. Hope we all will learn a lot from you. Here is my view.

Its not the "GRADE" that will tire people, but an "EFFORT to accomplish the grade" that will tire people. Moreover, the author wants to show some sort of contrast and AND doesn't fulfill that purpose. Thus Incorrect.

2. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but will take lot of resources for accomplishing the grade, an effort that will enervate and tire the people - Correct.

3. The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, besides taking lot of resources to accomplish the grade for enervating and tiring the people -AND must be used before "An articulacy" to mark the end of the list. Moreover, the author wants to show some sort of contrast and BESIDES doesn't fulfill that purpose. Thus Incorrect.

WHICH can't stand for an action/verb in the previous clause. Thus this option is Incorrect.

5. The right kind of language skills are those, which while giving us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but take lot of resources to accomplish the grade, to enervate and to tire the people - Pandora box, full of mistakes. So I will not discuss this option.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The topic hinges around a simple fact that when you conjugate two independent themes (ICs) you must join them with an appropriate conjunction. Therefore, to bring out the transition or contrast, one is required to use the conjunction but. Only choices B and E have the transitional fanboy ‘but;

Between B and E, the latter is a flagrant violator of SV number agreement, besides the conjunction ‘but’ coming in at an awkward place;
All other faults of parallelism are built in liberally in all other wrong choices deliberately.

Point on narenn: It is not that all compound sentences that are joined by fanboys must each have subject and verb. If the subject of the first clause can hold good for the second clause too, it is perfectly parallel to elide the subject in the second clause

Ex: Columbus ruthlessly marshaled his resources and discovered the new World. Here there is no need to repeat Columbus in the second clause. Similarly
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but (the right kind of language skills) will take lot of resources.

Usage of the same subject or its pronoun is even considered redundant sometimes.
The choice is B

My kudos to fame, and mba1382
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1189 [0]
Given Kudos: 172
GPA: 3.46
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Thanks for the Kudos :-). These kind of questions are really good, making me improve and learn more about meaning in SC rather than just grammar.

Expecting more such questions. Also love the SC questions posted by fameatop which are posted often on the SC forum.

daagh wrote:
The topic hinges around a simple fact that when you conjugate two independent themes (ICs) you must join them with an appropriate conjunction. Therefore, to bring out the transition or contrast, one is required to use the conjunction but. Only choices B and E have the transitional fanboy ‘but;

Between B and E, the latter is a flagrant violator of SV number agreement, besides the conjunction ‘but’ coming in at an awkward place;
All other faults of parallelism are built in liberally in all other wrong choices deliberately.

Point on narenn: It is not that all compound sentences that are joined by fanboys must each have subject and verb. If the subject of the first clause can hold good for the second clause too, it is perfectly parallel to elide the subject in the second clause

Ex: Columbus ruthlessly marshaled his resources and discovered the new World. Here there is no need to repeat Columbus in the second clause. Similarly
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but (the right kind of language skills) will take lot of resources.

Usage of the same subject or its pronoun is even considered redundant sometimes.
The choice is B

My kudos to fame, and mba1382
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
daagh wrote:

Thank you daagh for making an important point. :) Let me take the opportunity to learn from this mistake.

My doubt is whether or not to repeat the subject in second independent clause if the FANBOYS is preceded by a comma.

In the example sentence given by you, comma is not placed before 'AND'
Columbus ruthlessly marshaled his resources and discovered the new World.
While it is perfectly correct to have a common subject for two predicates or clauses separated by the coordinating conjunction. e.g. [Subject] [Predicate1] [FANBOYS] [Predicate2]

But will this still hold true when the clauses are separated by comma + fanboys.

Following are the examples from KAPLAN Verbal Foundation Book.
Kaplan Verbal Foundation, 2009Edition, Page No 12 wrote:
[I would like to go], but [I can't].
[Sam is working today], so [he can't go either].

In Chapter No 14 - Commas, The Kaplan describes following rule about the usage of a Comma while connecting Independent clauses.
Kaplan Verbal Foundation, 2009Edition, Page No 249-250 wrote:
Place the comma at the end of the first clause before the coordinating conjunction. If both clauses are short and there's no chance for confusion, you can omit the comma. On the other hand, you may want to keep that comma for effect.
Anuj always loved animals, so I'm not surprised that he is a veterinarian.
I love you and you love me.
I love you, but you don't love me.

Based on the above examples I have made up my mind to repeat the subject in second independent clause if the FANBOYS is preceded by a comma.

I want to clear this doubt so that such mistakes can be avoided in future.

Thanks and Regards,

Narenn
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42104 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
@narenn

Can you kindly look into the following" official" exaples on this issue?.

GPrep sample
Dressed as a man and using the name Robert Shurtleff, Deborah Sampson, the first woman to draw a soldier´s pension, joined the Continental Army in 1782 at the age of 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become too ill to serve. --- Correct Answer is A.

A. 22, was injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she had become
B. 22, was injured three times, while being discharged in 1783 because she had become
C. 22, and was injured three times, and discharged in 1783, being
D. 22, injured three times, and was discharged in 1783 because she was
E. 22, having been injured three times and discharged in 1783, being

You may see that the correct answer A uses a comma before the fanboy, but still does not repeat the subject Sampson;

OG example
The root systems of most flowering perennials either become too crowded, which results in loss in vigor, and spread too far outward, producing a bare center. Correct answer is D.

(A) which results in loss in vigor, and spread
(B) resulting in loss in vigor, or spreading
(C) with the result of loss of vigor, or spreading
(D) resulting in loss of vigor, or spread
(E) with a resulting loss of vigor, and spread

Here also the correct choice uses a comma before the fanboy (or) and still does not repeat the subject the root systems after or.
This is the GMAC thinking as far as I see;

I have no idea of Kaplan’s thinking on this point; but while I do regard your point, IMO, commas aren’t that great deciders in GMAT;
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V28
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
Send PM
I choose B but i was not sure it would be right or not.
B is using "For accomplishing". Generally these are wrong choices over choices with "to accomplish"

E was not next choice but it seems to confusing to understand the meaning.
MBA Section Director
Send PM
Expert Reply
@daagh

Thank you for addressing my query by citing the references from Official questions.

So, from this debate, I can safely conclude that we can add or omit the comma before FANBOYS, with our choice, provided that the intended meaning should remain intact and that the comma before FANBOYS can not be the factor in selection or elimination of the answer choice.

Regards,

Narenn
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 121 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Strategy, Operations
GMAT Date: 12-10-2013
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
I got it right.. but took 3mints to get it... :(
how long did u guys took?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 741
Send PM
Is option b or option c, whcih one is correct?

I have selected option b because.. there are 2 independent clauses under option b, in 2nd independent clause after but, will take a lot of...to accomplish the grade will act as a modifier for subject 'effort'.... am i wrong?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
VKat wrote:
Is option b or option c, whcih one is correct?

I have selected option b because.. there are 2 independent clauses under option b, in 2nd independent clause after but, will take a lot of...to accomplish the grade will act as a modifier for subject 'effort'.... am i wrong?

You actually stated a reason that option B is incorrect. There isn't an IC after "comma + but" - the subject is missing.
The problem with option C is that "besides" does not indicate a contrast - using the word "despite" would solve the issue.

There are some other errors in both the options, which are also corrected below:

Corrected option B:
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, and an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, but IT will take lot of resources for accomplishing TO COMPLETE the grade, an effort that will enervate and tire the people-

Corrected option C:
The right kind of language skills will give us the power, an eloquence, AND an articulacy that can draw business and win customers, besides DESPITE taking lot of resources to accomplish the grade for enervating and tiring the people, an effort that will enervate and tire the people.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts