Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 02 Sep 2014, 04:06

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA L3 Candidate, Grad w/ Highest Honors
Schools: Chicago Booth R2 (WL), Wharton R2 w/ int, Kellogg R2 w/ int
WE 1: Global Operations (Futures & Portfolio Financing) - Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
WE 2: Investment Analyst (Credit strategies) - Fund of Hedge Fund ($10bn+ Multi-Strat)
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 9

The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 11:48
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

70% (01:50) correct 30% (00:55) wrong based on 31 sessions
The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

A) banked with dirt to a height of
B) banked with dirt as high as that of
C) banked them with dirt to a height of
D) was banked with dirt as high as
E) was banked with dirt as high as that of

[Reveal] Spoiler:
A) banked with dirt to a height of.

Personally, I had it down to either A or D. I do not get why D is wrong. I thought "as high as" was the correct idiom. Is it because "was" is redundant?
1 KUDOS received
CEO
CEO
Followers: 53

Kudos [?]: 500 [1] , given: 19

GMAT Tests User
Re: Native American Home [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
robertrdzak wrote:
The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Personally, I had it down to either A or D. I do not get why D is wrong. I thought "as high as" was the correct idiom. Is it because "was" is redundant?

Lets look this way:

The single family house constructed by the Yana (...) was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

A) "banked" is parallel with "overlaid" as under
banked with dirt (to a height) of x feet
overlaid with slabs of bark

Hope that makes sense.

B) "as high as" is unnecessary and "that of.." is inapproperiate.
C) "them"?
D) "was" is not paralalled with "overlaid" and is in passive. "as high as" is unnecessary for no comparision.
E) Similar to D. "was" is not paralllel with "overlaid" and is in passive. "as high as" is unnecessary for no comparision. "that of"?

Verbal: new-to-the-verbal-forum-please-read-this-first-77546.html
Math: new-to-the-math-forum-please-read-this-first-77764.html
Gmat: everything-you-need-to-prepare-for-the-gmat-revised-77983.html

GT

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA Level 2 Candidate
Schools: RD 2: Darden Class of 2012
Followers: 3

Kudos [?]: 54 [1] , given: 2

GMAT Tests User
Re: Native American Home [#permalink] New post 11 Oct 2009, 13:52
This post received
KUDOS
OA is A

Trick is to realize that banked with dirt applies to the poles and not the house

overlaid with slabs is parallel to banked with dirt.

I made the same mistake with this question
4 KUDOS received
Intern
Intern
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 4 [4] , given: 0

Re: Native American Home [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 09:58
This post received
KUDOS
A very interesting point here to note is that when ever there is a "as high as" or as low as" or any such comparison, it should be done against a fixed number. Here it is compared against a variable figure, 3 to 4. So B, D and E are out. "Banked them", no use... 'A' is All Clear....
SVP
SVP
Followers: 12

Kudos [?]: 207 [0], given: 6

Re: Native American Home [#permalink] New post 05 May 2010, 10:50
good explanation by gmattiger and sumeetgill.

A is best
SVP
SVP
Followers: 239

Kudos [?]: 53 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 07 Oct 2013, 01:28
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 69

Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 26 Jan 2014, 23:23
GMAT TIGER & SumeetGill have made the whole point of this Qs. GREAT JOB! I was missed until I find this post :)
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 11

Reviews Badge
Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 07 Jun 2014, 07:19
Hi E-GMAT,

My analysis ,

Sentence structure for this sentence would be , The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

Bold face is a MAIN Sub and Main Verb. My question is "its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet." a noun plus noun modifier?

Thanks
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3439 [1] , given: 183

Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 10 Jun 2014, 11:11
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
Nitinaka19 wrote:
Hi E-GMAT,

My analysis ,

Sentence structure for this sentence would be , The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape, its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

Bold face is a MAIN Sub and Main Verb. My question is "its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet." a noun plus noun modifier?

Thanks

Hi Nitinaka19,
Thank you for the query. :)

Let’s look at the structure of this sentence:

• The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape,
o its framework of poles
overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine,
• and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

You have correctly identified that “its framework…..four feet” is a noun + noun modifier. In this modifier:
Noun- its framework of poles
Noun Modifier- overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

So, the two parallel verb-ed modifiers ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’ modify the noun in this modifier .

Hope this helps! :)
Deepak

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 11 Jun 2014, 01:09
robertrdzak wrote:

[Reveal] Spoiler:

Hi E-GMAT,

I am able to eliminate option B,C and E. However, Option A and D have confused me. If we consider the parallelism then "overlaid" and "banked" are modifying noun "framework of poles".
The Option A says "banked" in which the doer of the action "banked" is "framework of poles" but the meaning says that doer of the action "banked" should be someone else. So, I believe that the right answer should be option D where "was banked" is stated. Is my thought process correct?

Thanks!

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
e-GMAT Representative
Followers: 1244

Kudos [?]: 3439 [1] , given: 183

Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 08:36
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
anujag24 wrote:

Hi E-GMAT,

I am able to eliminate option B,C and E. However, Option A and D have confused me. If we consider the parallelism then "overlaid" and "banked" are modifying noun "framework of poles".
The Option A says "banked" in which the doer of the action "banked" is "framework of poles" but the meaning says that doer of the action "banked" should be someone else. So, I believe that the right answer should be option D where "was banked" is stated. Is my thought process correct?

Thanks!

Hi anujag24,

You are making an error in differentiating between the simple past tense verb and the verb-ed modifiers. In the original sentence, ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’ are not the verbs for the subject ‘framework of poles’. They act as verb-ed modifiers in this sentence.

Let’s take an example to understand the verb-ed modifiers:
The lamp placed on the table is a gift.

Now, does the lamp to the action of placing? No. The lamp cannot place itself. So, ‘placed’ is not a verb here. The verb for the subject ‘the lamp’ is ‘is’.
What is the function of the phrase ‘placed on the table’? It provides us additional information about the lamp.

So, we can write the above sentence as:
The lamp (that is) placed on the table is a gift.

Now, the verb-ed form ‘placed’ is known as the verb-ed modifier. Please refer to the following link to know more about verb-ed modifiers:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Once you have gone through the article, try to apply the concept on the above question. If you face any problems, refer to my explanation below:
• The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape,
• its framework of poles
o overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine,
o and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

Is ‘its framework of poles’ the doer of the verbs ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’? No, it is not. A framework can’t perform the actions ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’. So, these verb-ed forms are actually modifiers.
So, these two modifiers are providing additional information about the noun ‘framework of poles’ that this framework was overlaid with slabs and it was banked with dirt.

Now, if we consider OPTION D:
• its framework of poles
o and was banked with dirt as high as three to four feet.

Since ‘overlaid’ is a modifier and ‘was banked’ is a verb, these two can’t be parallel to each other. Hence this option is incorrect.

Also, the expression ‘as… as’ is unnecessary in this option. ‘As…. as’ is used to show a comparison between two entities. There is no comparison in this sentence. It just tells us how high the dirt was.

Deepak

Free Webinar: Sep 6, 2014 - Ace GMAT Sentence Correction: Register for this Free Webinar to learn the importance of meaning, achieve 90% accuracy and score V40+. Click here to register.

Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 22

Kudos [?]: 279 [0], given: 187

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 13:06
its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.
Above mentioned part of the sentence is an absolute phrase modifier or noun + noun modifier, which is perfectly used in the end of sentence.

Note: this part can be placed even in the front of the sentence.
Its framework of poles overlaid with slabs of bark, either cedar or pine, and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet, the single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native American people who lived in what is now northern California, was conical in shape,

A) banked with dirt to a height of -- correct -- banked is -ed modifier to framework.
B) banked with dirt as high as that of -- as that of is not ok.
C) banked them with dirt to a height of -- only plural possible antecedent for them is people.

D) was banked with dirt as high as -- As per original sentence framework is banked with dirt, but in this sentence as verb was is introduced The single family house (subject) appears to be banked with dirt.

E) was banked with dirt as high as that of -- same as D.

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Manager
Manager
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
WE: Consulting (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 3 [0], given: 9

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native [#permalink] New post 12 Jun 2014, 21:38
egmat wrote:
anujag24 wrote:

Hi E-GMAT,

Thanks!

Hi anujag24,

You are making an error in differentiating between the simple past tense verb and the verb-ed modifiers. In the original sentence, ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’ are not the verbs for the subject ‘framework of poles’. They act as verb-ed modifiers in this sentence.

Let’s take an example to understand the verb-ed modifiers:
The lamp placed on the table is a gift.

Now, does the lamp to the action of placing? No. The lamp cannot place itself. So, ‘placed’ is not a verb here. The verb for the subject ‘the lamp’ is ‘is’.
What is the function of the phrase ‘placed on the table’? It provides us additional information about the lamp.

So, we can write the above sentence as:
The lamp (that is) placed on the table is a gift.

Now, the verb-ed form ‘placed’ is known as the verb-ed modifier. Please refer to the following link to know more about verb-ed modifiers:
ed-forms-verbs-or-modifiers-134691.html

Once you have gone through the article, try to apply the concept on the above question. If you face any problems, refer to my explanation below:
• its framework of poles
o and banked with dirt to a height of three to four feet.

Is ‘its framework of poles’ the doer of the verbs ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’? No, it is not. A framework can’t perform the actions ‘overlaid’ and ‘banked’. So, these verb-ed forms are actually modifiers.
So, these two modifiers are providing additional information about the noun ‘framework of poles’ that this framework was overlaid with slabs and it was banked with dirt.

Now, if we consider OPTION D:
• its framework of poles
o and was banked with dirt as high as three to four feet.

Since ‘overlaid’ is a modifier and ‘was banked’ is a verb, these two can’t be parallel to each other. Hence this option is incorrect.

Also, the expression ‘as… as’ is unnecessary in this option. ‘As…. as’ is used to show a comparison between two entities. There is no comparison in this sentence. It just tells us how high the dirt was.

Deepak

Thanks Deepak..... Now, I can figure out the difference.

Preparing for the next shot!!!

Re: The single family house constructed by the Yana, a Native   [#permalink] 12 Jun 2014, 21:38