Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 29 Aug 2014, 04:18

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
9 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Schools: Johnson, Fuqua, Simon, Mendoza
WE 3: 10
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 195 [9] , given: 974

GMAT Tests User
The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 10:14
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

46% (02:18) correct 54% (01:23) wrong based on 450 sessions
The state’s three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease in severity, one curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and improved monitoring by federal workers.

(A) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and improved monitoring by federal workers.
(B) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, wages that have increased in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.
(C) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, rural towns that have increased their wages, and monitoring improvements by federal workers.
(D) curtailed by an expanded police budget, wages increasing in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.
(E) curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.

Source: WinningPrep Verbal QuestionBank

If this question helps You somehow, You can give me Kudos!
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount CodesGMAT Pill GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
9 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator
Status: worked for Kaplan's associates, but now on my own, free and flying
WE: Education (Education)
Followers: 261

Kudos [?]: 1549 [9] , given: 248

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 22:49
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This is a test of participial usage. ‘Increasing wages’ is present participle, while ‘expanded police budget ’ is past participle. As per the tenets of llism, it is acceptable to use present and past participles in the same sentence

E.g. This year we are witnessing ‘unexpected surge’ in IT projects especially from Europe and increasing recruitments both on campus and off campus

Get the best GMAT Prep Resources with GMAT Club Premium Membership

3 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.69
WE: Analyst (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 24 [3] , given: 13

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 09:56
This post received
KUDOS
To kind of clarify the questions on why "one" is needed.

The state’s three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease in severity, one curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and improved monitoring by federal workers.

My interpretation is that the "one" refers to the "gradual decrease." The decrease is caused by expanded police budget, increasing wages, and improved federal workers.

Without the one, the meaning of the sentences changes. If you left out the one, you would be saying that the problem areas occurred because of the police budget, wages, etc.
3 KUDOS received
Verbal Forum Moderator
Verbal Forum Moderator
Followers: 117

Kudos [?]: 1185 [3] , given: 118

Premium Member
Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 09 Sep 2013, 14:19
This post received
KUDOS
jaituteja wrote:
Hi pqhai,

Can you help me with the usage of "one" in the below question.

"One" appears very tempting.

the-states-three-problem-areas-have-seen-a-gradual-decrease-107968.html

Thanks,
Jai

Hi Jai. Please see my response.

(A) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and improved monitoring by federal workers.
CORRECT.
Parallelism: Three areas have seen a gradual decrease in severity.............., increasing wages......, and improved monitoring..... <== Blue parts are parallel. The three parts are all NOUN phrases ==> keep Parallel.

Modifier: "one curtailed by an expanded police budget" <-- is appositive modifier. "One" refers to "severity" clearly. Remember: Verb+ed modifier always modifies preceding noun. However, the sentence uses appositive modifier to eliminate ambiguity. If you remove "one" --> Readers will be confused. "curtailed" modifies "a gradual decrease" or "severity"?

(B) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, wages that have increased in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.
Wrong. Parallelism problem. Three areas have seen a gradual decrease in severity.............., wages that have increased......, and federal workers monitoring.....<== NOT parallel, noun phrase vs clause vs noun phrase.

(C) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, rural towns that have increased their wages, and monitoring improvements by federal workers.
Wrong. Same as B. Not parallel. We need three NOUN Phrases. However, in C, the structure is: Noun phrase vs Clause vs Noun phrase --> Not parallel.

(D) curtailed by an expanded police budget, wages increasing in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.
Wrong. Modifier problem. If you remove "one" --> Ambiguous (see explanation in A above).

(E) curtailed by an expanded police budget, increasing wages in rural towns, and federal workers improving their monitoring.
Wrong. Modifier problem. If you remove "one" --> Ambiguous (see explanation in A above).

Hope it helps.

Please +1 KUDO if my post helps. Thank you.

"Designing cars consumes you; it has a hold on your spirit which is incredibly powerful. It's not something you can do part time, you have do it with all your heart and soul or you're going to get it wrong."

Chris Bangle - Former BMV Chief of Design.

Expert Post
2 KUDOS received
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1549 [2] , given: 248

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 21:04
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
(A) one curtailed by an expanded police budget, ‘increasing wages in rural towns, and ‘improved monitoring’ by federal workers……… In terms of pure llism, Only A can befit as the right answer, all three factors represented by participial adjectives. Correct llism

(B) one curtailed by ‘an expanded’ police budget,wages that have increased’ ]in rural towns, and ‘federal workers improving’ .-- unparallel

(C) one curtailed by ‘an expanded['police budget, ‘rural towns that have increased their wages, and ‘monitoring improvements’ by federal workers.--------- unparallel

(D) curtailed by ‘an expanded’ police budget, wages increasing. in rural towns, and federal workers improvig’ their monitoring. ----- unparallel

(E) curtailed by ‘an expanded’ police budget, ‘increasing wages’ in rural towns, and federal workers improving’ their monitoring.---- last one unparallel.

One doubt in A persists. What is the resumptive pronoun one trying to refer to? Three problems areas is plural and can ‘one’ represent a plural noun? I would prefer a choice without the ‘one’, but choices D and E are grammatically wrong

Last edited by daagh on 26 Jan 2011, 05:51, edited 1 time in total.
1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 26

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 22:00
This post received
KUDOS
i am lost here.i somehow feel A should have "increasED wages" instead of "increasING wages" to complete the parallelism.

daagh a little help here please!!. how do you say "increasING wages" is parallel to "an expandED police budget" and "improvED monitoring.

this time, we play for keeps

1 KUDOS received
Manager
Manager
WE 1: 4 yr IT

Kudos [?]: 45 [1] , given: 26

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 18 Jan 2011, 23:18
This post received
KUDOS
Thanks daagh for the explanation.
a kudos is in order.

this time, we play for keeps

Manager
Manager
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 18

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2011, 08:50
feruz77 wrote:

Source: WinningPrep Verbal QuestionBank

If this question helps You somehow, You can give me Kudos!

This is a tough one.
D and E are out because they lack "one".
A is so right because it conforms parallelism.

Hung M.Tran
Faculty of Banking and Finance,
National Economics University of Vietnam

Follow me on Twitter : http://twitter.com/AndyTranHung

Current Student
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 7

Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 04 Feb 2011, 01:59
A, pure shot of parallelism :)

Well, what does 'one' indicate?
If I don't provide 'one', answer still looks good to me.

Any specific reason for the usage of 'one'?
Retired Moderator
Status: 2000 posts! I don't know whether I should feel great or sad about it! LOL
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, MIT & HKS (Government)
WE 1: Economic research
WE 2: Banking
WE 3: Government: Foreign Trade and SMEs
Followers: 66

Kudos [?]: 283 [0], given: 109

GMAT Tests User
Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 07:36
+1 A

Parallelism. Also it keeps "one" to not change the meaning of the sentence.

"Life’s battle doesn’t always go to stronger or faster men; but sooner or later the man who wins is the one who thinks he can."

My Integrated Reasoning Logbook / Diary: my-ir-logbook-diary-133264.html

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 18

GMAT Tests User
Re: three problem areas [#permalink] New post 22 Mar 2011, 17:16
I had a same question, Why One is required? Also, regarding parallelism I was also having the same question of increasing versus increased. Kudos to daagh.
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 06:43
Parallelism for A makes sense,

But I will repeat the same question - why 'one' is required?
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.3

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 11

GMAT Tests User
Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 12 Apr 2012, 13:54
makes sense.. man this is tough !

Thanks !!
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 61 [0], given: 7

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 22:23
Good One ...
Thanks Dagh For the explanation...

I was also confused with the past and present participle thing...

The Best Way to Keep me ON is to give Me KUDOS !!!
If you Like My posts please Consider giving Kudos

Shikhar

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Operations, Strategy

Kudos [?]: 99 [0], given: 31

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 15 Apr 2012, 23:16
good question clears concept of parallelism

Practice Practice and practice...!!

If my reply /analysis is helpful-->please press KUDOS
If there's a loophole in my analysis--> suggest measures to make it airtight.

Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1549 [0], given: 248

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 16 Apr 2012, 18:45
Expert's post
@Swoosh617

Quote:

My interpretation is that the "one" refers to the "gradual decrease”. The decrease is caused by expanded police budget, increasing wages, and improved federal workers.

It is really tempting to think that one refers to the decrease. But on a deeper perusal, the word '‘curtailed” is a problem.

Actually when we say that the decrease is curtailed, (two negatives canceling each other to make a positive) we in effect mean that the problem areas have increased in severity, curtailed by factors A, B and C. Isn't this antithetical?

But the appositive ’one’ can very well refer to the severity, the object of the preposition ‘in’ to mean that the severity has been curtailed. All said and done, still the indefinite pronoun 'one’ is a source of trouble.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 14

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 11:10
@daagh

Doesnt 'one' refer to one of three problems????
Expert Post
Retired Moderator

Kudos [?]: 1549 [0], given: 248

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 21 Apr 2012, 20:13
Expert's post
No. It can not refer to one of the three problems. If only one problem is curtailed, what is happening to the other two? Are they not being curtailed?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 20 [0], given: 20

Reviews Badge
Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 24 Apr 2012, 00:23
This problem is not about PARTICIPLES but about PARALLELISM. Participles are verbals that can be formed by removing the be form of the verb from sentences in active/passive voice. Curtailed itself is a participle (past-participle) used in the question. Correct answer is one that puts all the NOUN PHRASES in PARALLEL. All option have NOUN PHRASES so grammatically all are || but only A has all noun phrases that are logically ||

Problem with B,C,D,E -Severity CANNOT be curtailed by wages, federal workers, rural towns
A says Severity curtailed by expanded police budget, increasing wages and improved monitoring
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 600 Q49 V23
GPA: 3.8
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 15

Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease [#permalink] New post 07 May 2012, 22:40
vikram4689 wrote:
This problem is not about PARTICIPLES but about PARALLELISM. Participles are verbals that can be formed by removing the be form of the verb from sentences in active/passive voice. Curtailed itself is a participle (past-participle) used in the question. Correct answer is one that puts all the NOUN PHRASES in PARALLEL. All option have NOUN PHRASES so grammatically all are || but only A has all noun phrases that are logically ||

Problem with B,C,D,E -[highlight]Severity CANNOT be curtailed by wages, federal workers, rural towns
A says Severity curtailed by expanded police budget, increasing wages and improved monitoring[/highlight]

Nicely explained. Earlier i went with B, but now it is clear that A is correct.
Re: The states three problem areas have seen a gradual decrease   [#permalink] 07 May 2012, 22:40