Last visit was: 13 May 2024, 02:12 It is currently 13 May 2024, 02:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1100 [24]
Given Kudos: 8
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [2]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Director
Director
Status:Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
Own Kudos [?]: 4603 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
GPA: 3.51
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well [#permalink]
This is a Veritas Prep Exam 6 question. Can anyone confirm why C and E are wrong? I understand that by using the word 'but' the sentence shows a contrast between patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and (but) patients who were suffering from persistent symptoms. How do we know that the intention here is not to show the contrast? Can anyone please elaborate?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [2]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
Re: The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well [#permalink]
Kudos
I don't see any ambiguity in option B. Is there any other problem with that option?
Can we have OE.
Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [3]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
ash750 wrote:
This is a Veritas Prep Exam 6 question. Can anyone confirm why C and E are wrong? I understand that by using the word 'but' the sentence shows a contrast between patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and (but) patients who were suffering from persistent symptoms. How do we know that the intention here is not to show the contrast? Can anyone please elaborate?
It looks like there is nothing here to contrast; the patients involved in the study suffered from out-of-control cardiac disease AND they also dealt with persistent symptoms. You would use ‘but’ if the patients suffer from uncontrollable cardiac disease BUT were able to mitigate some aspect of the illness. In this case, these poor people are facing one negative situation after another, so we use AND, not BUT. Also, I think the correct answer is D; it’s the only answer that uses ‘who’, and that leads to correct parallelism.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
@ma1Z...Thank you so much - that was really useful. I appreciate the help!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Another question: Is it idiomatic to say 'suffered symptoms' or 'suffered from symptoms'? I would have gone with the later ,but apparently the former is not wrong.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Kudos
ash750 wrote:
Another question: Is it idiomatic to say 'suffered symptoms' or 'suffered from symptoms'? I would have gone with the later ,but apparently the former is not wrong.

You’re right. In this case, either could work. I don’t think there is a specific idiom issue here. You usually use ‘suffered from’ when the cause of the suffering follows the word ‘from’. But isn’t it kind of obvious that the suffering was caused in part by the persistent symptoms? It almost seems inefficient to add ‘from’. It’s strange because when I first looked at this question I didn’t even consider the ‘suffered from’ versus ‘suffered’. I just noticed the other issues with the sentence. Nevertheless, take everything I’ve said with a grain of salt because I still need to study SC.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 922 [0]
Given Kudos: 911
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
daagh Sir can you throw some light on this "that had been lasting for at least a year"?
I am really confused by the usage of "had been lasting".
Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7790 [2]
Given Kudos: 56
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
PeepalTree "Had been lasting" is terrible. They shouldn't have used that. You couldn't say "my symptoms have been lasting for a year," so there's no justification for saying "had been lasting."

However, D is the only option that has a workable structure. As PiyushK highlighted above, we need the "who" (or "whose"), since all of this is part of a modifier for "patients." The rest of the choices are all trying to introduce a second verb for the patients when we never had a first verb.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 449 [1]
Given Kudos: 489
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
This sentence contains a tricky sentence construction issue that you will likely miss unless you “Slash and Burn” the unnecessary parts of the sentence. The sentence is trying to show that there are two things relating to the 1000 patients: patients “whose cardiac disease was not well controlled….and who had not suffered persistent symptoms”. In (A), (B), (C) and (E) the verb forms following the dash are illogically referring back to cardiac disease. Take (B) for instance - without the “and who” it reads like this: “patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and suffered…” The suffered is not referring back to patients but is necessarily part of the “whose” clause and is commanded illogically by “cardiac disease”. Only (D) corrects this issue - that choice should be a major “decision points” hint to carefully analyze why the “who” might be required in this sentence. Answer is (D).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
If you were between B and D

B mentions suffered , but who suffered ?

D corrects that mistake
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6927 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts