GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 22 Oct 2018, 01:57

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 520 Q35 V26
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
Premium Member
The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 22 Apr 2018, 00:06
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

45% (medium)

Question Stats:

55% (00:59) correct 45% (01:03) wrong based on 501 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled by existing medications—drugs such as ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers—and had suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year.

(A) and had suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year

(B) and suffered from persistent symptoms that had lasted for at least a year

(C) but were suffering from persistent symptoms that had been lasting for a year or more

(D) and who suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year

(E) but had suffered from persistent symptoms that lasted for a year or more

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/31/business/new-novartis-drug-shows-striking-efficacy-in-treating-heart-failure.html

The study, sponsored by Novartis, involved more than 8,400 patients in 47 countries who were randomized to receive either LCZ696 or enalapril, one of a class of drugs called ACE inhibitors that have been the standard treatment for heart failure. Most patients also used beta blockers and other drugs, as their doctors saw fit.

Really appreciate Kudos!

Originally posted by NeverSurrender on 11 Jun 2014, 02:54.
Last edited by hazelnut on 22 Apr 2018, 00:06, edited 2 times in total.
Edited the question.
Manager
Manager
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 22:59
My answer is D because

But is for highlighting a contrast which is clearly not the case here eliminating C and E.

D has who after and which removes ambiguity on who is this phrase is referring to i.e the patients

Kudos if the explanation was short and sweet
Director
Director
Status: Everyone is a leader. Just stop listening to others.
GPA: 3.51
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 11 Jun 2014, 23:41
Parallelism - just keep that in mind.
whose is a subordinatior and to keep any ambiguity away second half of the parallel structure should also begin with subordinator like who/whoes etc.

Only D maintains this required parallelism.

The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled by existing medications – drugs such as ACE inhibitors and beta-blockers – and had suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year.

A) and had suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year
B) and suffered from persistent symptoms that had lasted for at least a year
C) but were suffering from persistent symptoms that had been lasting for a year or more
D) and who suffered persistent symptoms that had been lasting for at least a year
E) but had suffered from persistent symptoms that lasted for a year or more

Piyush K
-----------------------
Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is to try just one more time. ― Thomas A. Edison
Don't forget to press--> Kudos :)
My Articles: 1. WOULD: when to use? | 2. All GMATPrep RCs (New)
Tip: Before exam a week earlier don't forget to exhaust all gmatprep problems specially for "sentence correction".

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 15:24
This is a Veritas Prep Exam 6 question. Can anyone confirm why C and E are wrong? I understand that by using the word 'but' the sentence shows a contrast between patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and (but) patients who were suffering from persistent symptoms. How do we know that the intention here is not to show the contrast? Can anyone please elaborate?
Manager
Manager
S

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 21:06
I don't see any ambiguity in option B. Is there any other problem with that option?
Can we have OE.
Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device

kudos please if it helped you.

Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 07 May 2018, 22:34
ash750 wrote:
This is a Veritas Prep Exam 6 question. Can anyone confirm why C and E are wrong? I understand that by using the word 'but' the sentence shows a contrast between patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and (but) patients who were suffering from persistent symptoms. How do we know that the intention here is not to show the contrast? Can anyone please elaborate?
It looks like there is nothing here to contrast; the patients involved in the study suffered from out-of-control cardiac disease AND they also dealt with persistent symptoms. You would use ‘but’ if the patients suffer from uncontrollable cardiac disease BUT were able to mitigate some aspect of the illness. In this case, these poor people are facing one negative situation after another, so we use AND, not BUT. Also, I think the correct answer is D; it’s the only answer that uses ‘who’, and that leads to correct parallelism.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 08 May 2018, 06:37
@ma1Z...Thank you so much - that was really useful. I appreciate the help!
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 14:22
Another question: Is it idiomatic to say 'suffered symptoms' or 'suffered from symptoms'? I would have gone with the later ,but apparently the former is not wrong.
Intern
Intern
B

Show Tags

New post 10 May 2018, 23:09
ash750 wrote:
Another question: Is it idiomatic to say 'suffered symptoms' or 'suffered from symptoms'? I would have gone with the later ,but apparently the former is not wrong.

You’re right. In this case, either could work. I don’t think there is a specific idiom issue here. You usually use ‘suffered from’ when the cause of the suffering follows the word ‘from’. But isn’t it kind of obvious that the suffering was caused in part by the persistent symptoms? It almost seems inefficient to add ‘from’. It’s strange because when I first looked at this question I didn’t even consider the ‘suffered from’ versus ‘suffered’. I just noticed the other issues with the sentence. Nevertheless, take everything I’ve said with a grain of salt because I still need to study SC.

Sent from my iPhone using GMAT Club Forum mobile app
Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V33
GPA: 2.81
Premium Member Reviews Badge CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 29 Sep 2018, 23:59
daagh Sir can you throw some light on this "that had been lasting for at least a year"?
I am really confused by the usage of "had been lasting".
Thanks

Resources
GMATNinja Webinars
GMATNinja Chats

Quant
Mixtures

Manhattan Prep Instructor
S

Show Tags

New post 30 Sep 2018, 00:51
PeepalTree "Had been lasting" is terrible. They shouldn't have used that. You couldn't say "my symptoms have been lasting for a year," so there's no justification for saying "had been lasting."

However, D is the only option that has a workable structure. As PiyushK highlighted above, we need the "who" (or "whose"), since all of this is part of a modifier for "patients." The rest of the choices are all trying to introduce a second verb for the patients when we never had a first verb.

Dmitry Farber | Manhattan GMAT Instructor | New York

Manhattan GMAT Discount | Manhattan GMAT Course Reviews | View Instructor Profile |
Manhattan GMAT Reviews

Manager
Manager
G
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
WE: Engineering (Other)
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 01 Oct 2018, 08:26
This sentence contains a tricky sentence construction issue that you will likely miss unless you “Slash and Burn” the unnecessary parts of the sentence. The sentence is trying to show that there are two things relating to the 1000 patients: patients “whose cardiac disease was not well controlled….and who had not suffered persistent symptoms”. In (A), (B), (C) and (E) the verb forms following the dash are illogically referring back to cardiac disease. Take (B) for instance - without the “and who” it reads like this: “patients whose cardiac disease was not well controlled and suffered…” The suffered is not referring back to patients but is necessarily part of the “whose” clause and is commanded illogically by “cardiac disease”. Only (D) corrects this issue - that choice should be a major “decision points” hint to carefully analyze why the “who” might be required in this sentence. Answer is (D).

If you feel the post helped you then do send me the kudos (damn theya re more valuable than $)

GMAT Club Bot
Re: The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well &nbs [#permalink] 01 Oct 2018, 08:26

The study involved 1000 patients whose cardiac disease was not well

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap