Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 19:41 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 19:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [2]
Given Kudos: 130
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [2]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 720 Q51 V35
GPA: 3.69
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The three political parties that make up the Australian coalition [#permalink]
Navinder wrote:
The three political parties that make up the Australian coalition have been in alliance since 1922 and now include the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is known for contesting every NTLA election since then.

a) include the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is

b) include the Country Liberal Party, having been established in 1978 and

c) include the Country Liberal Party, having been established in 1978 and being

d) includes the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is

e) includes the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and it is

In my opionion the correct answer is A. The verb include agrees with "parties" and which correctly modifies "the Country Liberal Party".
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [0]
Re: The three political parties that make up the Australian coalition [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Navinder wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Navinder wrote:
The three political parties that make up the Australian coalition have been in alliance since 1922 and now include the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is known for contesting every NTLA election since then.

a) include the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is

b) include the Country Liberal Party, having been established in 1978 and

c) include the Country Liberal Party, having been established in 1978 and being

d) includes the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and is

e) includes the Country Liberal Party, which was established in 1978 and it is

Dear Navinder,

I'm happy to respond. :-)

My friend, I don't know the source, but this is not an impressive question.

Choices (D) & (E) can be eliminated instantly on an obvious SVA error at the very beginning. The "having been established" in (B) & (C) doesn't fit at all with the direct present-tense tone of the rest of the sentence. This leaves (A). Admittedly, (A) is not bad: that is almost plausible as a correct answer on the GMAT SC. Assuming that the source intended (A) as the answer, this is minimally acceptable as an extremely easy question. This would not prepare you for anything other than the easiest questions on the GMAT SC.

Does all this make sense?
Mike :-)

Thanks Mike. The source is 800score :(

If we look at the meaning- Can three political parties include another party? Or their coalition will include another party.

Dear Navinder,

Excellent point, my friend! This lowers my opinion of the question even more. Yes, the "coalition" will include the fourth party. The sentence as it is written is illogical, because the "three parties" wouldn't now include a fourth.

Mike :-)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
i have a doubt here.

here we are talking about the coalition party, not the three parties and verb should be singular .

i think correct option should be one among D or E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GMAT 2: 700 Q48 V37
Send PM
I agree with people thinking that the subject should be singular - the coalition.

It doesn't make sense three parties including another one as does the coalition including another one.

Any additional thoughts on this one?
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [2]
The three political parties that make up the Australian coalition [#permalink]
Kudos