Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:53 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 240 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: Yale '14 (II)
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
Send PM
Re: Tips, Advice, and How I Got a 730 (48Q 42V) [#permalink]
One of the best debrief that I have read. Congratulation on an awsome score. Can you elaborate on how you study each of the Verbal section (CR, SC, RC)? Thanks.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Samwong, i will be the first to say that I think my verbal study tactics were flawed, and that if I could do it again, I would absolutely change how I studied verbal.

The fact is, my improvement in verbal (from a 36-37 to a 42-44) was simply due to familiarity with the questions. I had a few halfway decent strategies, but honestly, I didn't do enough to improve in verbal. I think I probably should have been more around the 46-47 range. I have always been significantly better at verbal on standardized tests than math - on the SAT's I got an 800 in verbal and I think a 650 on math, and when I first started studying, I knew I had a significant amount of ground to make up in Math, so that's where all my focus was. To catch up in Verbal, I really just did a lot of problems, and read the answers to the ones I got wrong.

I would MUCH have preferred to learn them the same way I did the Quant, and go topic by topic, doing the appropriate OG problems (e.g. Sentence Corrections Modifiers - then do a bunch of OG problems with modifiers so you learn how to identify those issues). Unfortunately, I did not, and by the time I realized that I should do this, it was a little too late. That being said, here are some of the strategies I did use:

SC:
Know the four BIG groups - Subject Verb AGreement, Parallelism, Modifiers, and Pronouns (are these even the four big groups? Not sure, but they're what I always looked for). It seemed to me that 90%+ of SC had one of these issues. Once you have identified these, and done your splits (any book explains how to split SC problems), make sure your correction of the problem does not contain new issues! I made so many dumb mistakes like this, where I'd fix the original problem, but be too lazy to go back and read the whole sentence with a watchful eye, and then have some crazy other issue in there like wrong verb tense or something like that. Always be sure to read the sentence of the one you pick once or twice as closely as you read the original sentence to make sure it's good to go.

CR:
I think the books have great strategies for CR (I used MGMAT, but I doubt any of them are that different). My approach was simple: 1) Read the question 2) Repeat the question to yourself to make sure you actually understood it 3) Read the paragraph CLOSELY and actually understand it. Read it twice if need be 4) Identify the conclusion and briefly think about any assumptions that go into it 4) Reread the question 5) Eliminate answers. Note that certain questions will merit you trying to come up with an answer before you read the options. For example, I got a TON of CR's where the last part of the passage was blank and it said "Which of the following most appropriately completes the passage". I honestly think I got 6 or 7 of those on the real test, and those are all ones where you want to have an idea of what the answer will be so you don't get tripped up by trap answers.

I also developed a solid strategy for bold faced CR's, but didn't get any on the real test. I guess that's why everyone said not to study them too much, but I had seen at least 1 or 2 on every practice I'd taken.

RC:
My strategy for RC was no strategy in the sense that I didn't take notes, didn't have a set process I went through, or much else. This has always been my best verbal topic. I guess if I had to break it down, it was: 1) Read the first paragraph in DETAIL, and identify the thesis 2) Read the rest in less detail, but make sure you understand and are not just reading for the sake of reading. 3) As you read, be an active thinker. By the time we get to the test, all of us have done enough RC's that we can sort of tell what type of passage it is. Is it refuting one theory for another? Telling us the history of something? Whatever it is, actively reading adn trying to figure out what type it is will help you understand it better, and will most likely be the answer to one of the questions down the road.

Also, if a question asks about a certain word or area in the passage, it almost always has the answer in there. FIND the answer, then look at the choices. Don't fall into their traps! There are also RC just like the CR I mentioned before, where you should come up with an answer before you read the options (e.g. main purpose of this passage or whatever some of those other big picture, what is this passage about questions are).

Finally, I know for a lot of people, especially non-native English speakers, timing is an issue on verbal. Unfortunately, I cannot help you here, since I was typically way ahead of schedule, and even when I did fall behind on the real thiing, was easily able to make up 10 minutes in the last 20 minutes of the test.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have any more specific questions about any section.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Your first 2 MGMAT scores are almost same as the ones I took so far. I hope I can also increase my score from 680 to 730 s : ))
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Good luck, goktug. Took a lot of work but no reason why you shouldn't be able to get there and surpass me.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 282 [0]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: General MBA
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Great post and advice on how to tackle the exam and prepare for it.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Great and also very detailed advice. Thank you.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
Excellent debrief.. I am just starting off..and have 3 months at most for giving the test..This was very informative..Thanks a ton!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
One of the most descriptive and informative posts. I'm retaking my GMAT soon and I've been doing many of the similar things in your prep. They say that timing is one of the most crucial strategies to consider in your preparation and actual exam. I like how you were very consistent with your CAT exams, prep, and even the way you wrote.

A lazy person can't just wake up and decide they're going to study hard and make a 700+. To become proficient in the verbal concepts, you have to live it in your daily life up to that point. To place emphasis on time, you have to be urgent in everything you do, not just when you answer 37 math problems, etc.

I'm going to bookmark this and read it later again =)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GMAT 1: 670 Q45 V38
GPA: 2.64
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
randomguy2012 wrote:
I'm not trying to be a d***, but 730 is not that great of a score, especially with such a low verbal score. You could improve that score a lot if you just improved your verbal skills. a Q48V48 would be in the 99 percentile.

Looks like he was able to improve a fair amount from his first CAT practice exam to his final actual score. I'm sure with that same preparation in the rest of his application, he would be a strong candidate. I would agree though that a Q48V48 is a great score for anyone ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Congrats on the good score and really exhaustive debrief.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Not really sure where I said a 730 was a "great" score, but I do think there are a lot of people on this board that are hoping to score around there and I simply posted this debrief to help others with some of my strategies.

I'm sure I could improve my verbal some (especially considering that I felt like I was having a horrible time during verbal on test day), but can't really see the point. I even mentioned in my debrief that if I could do it all over, I might change how I approached verbal. That being said, I highly doubt a 750 will make much of a difference over a 730, and would certainly not be worth it in my mind to study for another 31+ days (especially with no guarantee of getting the same Quant score). In my mind, it's all about the return on investment, and I think the extra month can be used in better ways than scratching for another 10-20 points.

Whether a 730 is a "great" score or not really depends on what you need out of the test. It is 96th percentile. If you have a good profile and package, it is more than good enough to get you into any school in the country. If you don't have a good profile/application package, you probably won't get in to a top school whether you have a 760, 730, or 690.

Neither H/S/W, nor MBB (since I want to get into MC after school) are going to deny you based on a 730, and once you're getting a look, it comes down to your profile and execution of the application and interviews.

Interested to know your take, and how you think 1) I could score a 48 (4 points higher than I ever got on a verbal practice test), and 2) how/why you think that would make a big difference in getting into school (the entire purpose of getting a good score on the exam).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Strategy, Other
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.32
WE:Editorial and Writing (Entertainment and Sports)
Send PM
Great job! Thanks for sharing and best wishes on your application process and MBA career.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
hands down to such a great debrief. Not only inspirational but a great reading exercise of all of us aspirants holding our breadth over Gmat score. Thanks for sharing and all the best for further.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts