Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 696 [27]
Given Kudos: 156
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [3]
Given Kudos: 84
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [3]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [1]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Re: With the private space industry at the early stages of launch revoluti [#permalink]
Kudos
some times i study question outside og or gmatprep source.
this question is strange. i want to say something

choice A and E contain "rocket" without "a,the" . they are wrong.

if we read choice b,c and d, dont be confused by many phrases changing their places in the sentence. intead, just focus on what is the main core idea.

to get the core idea of sentence, ask ourself. which do which.

I answer this question after reading many phrase and understand nothing. my answer is

study effect of plume

is main core. and this is most logic.

from this point. i can go to the correct answer.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: With the private space industry at the early stages of launch revoluti [#permalink]
Kudos
Since the rocket launches is going to increase , hence as per logic, the study should be of the affect of plumes of exhaust of a number of rockets, on the Atmosphere(stratosphere and ozonosphere) . Study cannot be constituted of a single rocket exhaust

Eliminating all other options leaving B as the answer
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [1]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Kudos
I dont understand how B is the correct choice .
"their" in B can refer to "rockets" or can refer to "plumes of exhaust".

Where am i going wrong , can someone explain ?
Why A is wrong here?

TIA
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Harshjha001 wrote:

Why A is wrong here?

TIA

Hi Harshjha001,

One way to take option A out is to focus on "rocket leaves". Normally, we'd want "a rocket leaves" or "rockets leave".

1. ... the plume of exhaust that rocket leaves...
vs.
2. ... the plume of exhaust that a rocket leaves...
or
3. ... the plume of exhaust that rockets leave... (this one needs a plural pronoun)
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1047 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
AjiteshArun wrote:
Harshjha001 wrote:

Why A is wrong here?

TIA

Hi Harshjha001,

One way to take option A out is to focus on "rocket leaves". Normally, we'd want "a rocket leaves" or "rockets leave".

1. ... the plume of exhaust that rocket leaves...
vs.
2. ... the plume of exhaust that a rocket leaves...
or
3. ... the plume of exhaust that rockets leave... (this one needs a plural pronoun)

AjiteshArun Can you please throw some light on how these ICs are co-joined by just hyphens. Studying starts with a capital S, I took this construction to be awkward. Can you share some insight into it. Thank you in advance.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [1]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nikhilongc wrote:
AjiteshArun Can you please throw some light on how these ICs are co-joined by just hyphens. Studying starts with a capital S, I took this construction to be awkward. Can you share some insight into it. Thank you in advance.

Hi nikhilongc,

Good catch. There really should be a pair of dashes there. Think of a pair of em dashes as a pause or break in the sentence that allows us to introduce the kind of thought we could use a pair of brackets for. Also, dashes should normally be closed (that's why we often see a pair of dashes), as in (1) below, but, of course, we can't do that if the element that the dash introduces ends the sentence (2). Keep in mind that we cannot use any commas next to dashes.

1. AB—XY—CD.

2. AB—XY.

3. AB—XY—.

The sentence the correct option leads to is like (1): AB—XY—CD. Now, whatever that XY may be, it won't affect the structure of the rest of the sentence. So (1) is like (4) below:

4. AB (XY) CD.

This is one way to see that the XY element is not joined to CD in any way. In fact, it is set off from CD. The core of the sentence is AB, CD (the comma is removed when dashes are introduced).

You could also try this official question instead.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [0]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 620 Q45 V31 (Online)
Send PM
Hi AjiteshArun,

I have a three doubts.
A. it has become imperative to study the effects of the plume of exhaust that rocket leaves in its wake on the stratosphere and the Ozone layer.
E. it has become imperative to study how the plumes of exhaust that rocket leaves in its wake affects the stratosphere and ozone layer .
1) In option A and E is it a placeholder pronoun or does it lead to an antecedent error along with the rocket leaves error?

C. The plume of exhaust left by a rocket in its wake has to be studied for its effect on the stratosphere and Ozone layer.
2) in option C doesn't the its lead to a pronoun antecedent ambiguity error. The first one refers to rocket and second one to the plume?

B. Studying the effects on the stratosphere and Ozone layer caused by the plumes of exhaust left by rockets in their wake has become imperative.
3) why did the studying start with a capital S?

Regards
Aswin Dinesh
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4654 [2]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
With the private space industry at the early stages of launch revoluti [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aswin12 wrote:
Hi AjiteshArun,

I have a three doubts.
A. it has become imperative to study the effects of the plume of exhaust that rocket leaves in its wake on the stratosphere and the Ozone layer.
E. it has become imperative to study how the plumes of exhaust that rocket leaves in its wake affects the stratosphere and ozone layer .
1) In option A and E is it a placeholder pronoun or does it lead to an antecedent error along with the rocket leaves error?

C. The plume of exhaust left by a rocket in its wake has to be studied for its effect on the stratosphere and Ozone layer.
2) in option C doesn't the its lead to a pronoun antecedent ambiguity error. The first one refers to rocket and second one to the plume?

B. Studying the effects on the stratosphere and Ozone layer caused by the plumes of exhaust left by rockets in their wake has become imperative.
3) why did the studying start with a capital S?

Regards
Aswin Dinesh

Hi Aswin12,

1. Yes, this is a placeholder it. This type of it is used to shift an awkward subject to the right (which makes the sentence easier to read). We can say that the it ~refers to to study the effects of the plume of exhaust. If we did not use an it as the subject, we'd end up with something like to study the effects... has become imperative, which is quite awkward.

2. Good catch. Yes, technically, the pronoun is ambiguous, but pronoun ambiguity isn't an absolute error. So if I see multiple pronouns referring to different nouns I still hold on to that option (see this question, similar, though not the same). Just to be clear, this is definitely a red flag. It's just that I don't see it as an absolute error.

3. If I had to guess, I'd say that it's a typo. I'll let the mods know, and they can take a call on this. Until then, I'll continue trying to gently steer people to this official question. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Send PM
Isn't exhaust and left redundant since exhaust is always leaving and not entering

Posted from my mobile device
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
Vicky1811 wrote:
Isn't exhaust and left redundant since exhaust is always leaving and not entering

Posted from my mobile device

Hello Vicky1811,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, it is important to remember that redundancy is the least critical factor in GMAT sentence correction; the question of redundancy should only be taken into account when you need to select between two otherwise error-free answer choices.

Thus, even if the use of "left" is a bit redundant here, it is not a matter of concern.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 205
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V38
Send PM
With the private space industry at the early stages of launch revoluti [#permalink]
Hi

Can someone explain B) vs C) please?
Is it because of meaning? Studying the plumes vs studying the effects?

Thanks,
-AC.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts