Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31969 [21]
Given Kudos: 291
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [5]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 4548 [1]
Given Kudos: 1228
Send PM
Re: There are 6 girls and 6 boys. If they are to be seated in a row [#permalink]
Kudos
Total number of ways in which 6 boys and 6 girls can sit in a row = \(\frac{12!}{6!*6!}\)

Number of ways in which 6 boys and 6 girls can sit alternately = 2 (BGBG..... or GBGB.....)

Probability = \(\frac{2 * 6! * 6!}{12!}\)

Answer: D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1219
Send PM
Re: There are 6 girls and 6 boys. If they are to be seated in a row [#permalink]
please add oa to the stem.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
There are 6 girls and 6 boys. If they are to be seated in a row [#permalink]
I don't get it.

I see how it should it be 2 instead of 7, but why does the formula of the bold not hold?
*B*B*B*B*B*B*

# of ways 6 girls can occupy the places of these 7 stars is 6C7;
# of ways 6 girls can be arranged on these places is 6!;
# of ways 6 boys can be arranged is 6!.

7∗6!∗6!/12! = D

Im not allowed to post links but the title of the topic is: A row of seats in a movie hall contains 10 seats. 3 Girls
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
GMATNinja
please help with it
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
Send PM
There are 6 girls and 6 boys. If they are to be seated in a row [#permalink]
dutchp0wner wrote:
I don't get it.

I see how it should it be 2 instead of 7, but why does the formula of the bold not hold?
*B*B*B*B*B*B*

7∗6!∗6!/12! = D

Im not allowed to post links but the title of the topic is: A row of seats in a movie hall contains 10 seats. 3 Girls

However , i understood the solution posted above by rest of users that in seat 1 - 6 boys can be seated, seat 2 -5 boys .. So , 6! ways boys can be seated . Similarly girls can be seated in 6! . Boys and Girls can be arranged in 2! ways
Probability =2x6!x6!/ 12!

What i don't understand is :-
We can assume all Girls are identical and boys are same. So , All 6 boys can be seated in 1 ways and rest 6 girls can be seated in 7 positions by 7C6 ways . So total no. of possible ways meeting constraint = 1x7C6x2= 14 ways

max. possible ways = ??
Probability = 14 / ??

Please correct my basic understanding ,where i am getting wrong. Bunuel VeritasKarishma chetan2u Guys please help bb
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64940 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nirmesh83 wrote:
dutchp0wner wrote:
I don't get it.

*B*B*B*B*B*B*

7∗6!∗6!/12! = D

However , i understood the solution posted above by rest of users that in seat 1 - 6 boys can be seated, seat 2 -5 boys .. So , 6! ways boys can be seated . Similarly girls can be seated in 6! . Boys and Girls can be arranged in 2! ways

We can assume all Girls are identical and boys are same. So , All 6 boys can be seated in 1 ways and rest 6 girls can be seated in 7 positions by 7C6 ways . So total no. of possible ways meeting constraint = 1x7C6x2= 14 ways

max. possible ways = ??
Probability = 14 / ??

Please correct my basic understanding ,where i am getting wrong. Bunuel VeritasKarishma chetan2u Guys please help bb

Nirmesh83

The girls are not identical and neither are the boys. People are all distinct. You need to arrange them. You have 12 distinct seats.
On seat 1, you can make a girl sit or boy sit. This will decide which seats get occupied by girls and which by boys. If a girl sits on seat 1, seats 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 will be taken by girls and seats 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 will be taken by boys. Then you arrange the girls and the boys in their own 6 seats each.

I am not sure from where 7 comes in. This is what I can think of. Say you are arranging 6 boys in 6 distinct seats in 6! ways. Now there are 7 open spots around them.

__ B __ B __ B __ B __ B __ B __

Note that we are not allowed to pick any 6 of these 7 spots so 7C6 is incorrect. If we do 7C6, acceptable arrangements will include:

G B G B G B __ B G B G B G
G B __ B G B G B G B G B G
etc..

But this will mean 2 boys are sitting together. That is not allowed.

Whether we pick the first slot or not fixes all other slots for us. If we pick the first slot for a girl, we get:
G B G B G B G B G B G B

If we do not pick the first slot for a girl, we get
B G B G B G B G B G B G

These are the only two acceptable options.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 580 Q48 V22
Send PM
VeritasKarishma wrote:
Nirmesh83 wrote:
dutchp0wner wrote:
I don't get it.

*B*B*B*B*B*B*

7∗6!∗6!/12! = D

Im not allowed to post links but the title of the topic is: A row of seats in a movie hall contains 10 seats. 3 Girls[/qu

max. possible ways = ??
Probability = 14 / ??

Nirmesh83

The girls are not identical and neither are the boys. People are all distinct. You need to arrange them. You have 12 distinct seats.
On seat 1, you can make a girl sit or boy sit. This will decide which seats get occupied by girls and which by boys. If a girl sits on seat 1, seats 3, 5, 7, 9 and 11 will be taken by girls and seats 2, 4, 6, 8, 10 and 12 will be taken by boys. Then you arrange the girls and the boys in their own 6 seats each.

I am not sure from where 7 comes in. This is what I can think of. Say you are arranging 6 boys in 6 distinct seats in 6! ways. Now there are 7 open spots around them.

__ B __ B __ B __ B __ B __ B __

Note that we are not allowed to pick any 6 of these 7 spots so 7C6 is incorrect. If we do 7C6, acceptable arrangements will include:

G B G B G B __ B G B G B G
G B __ B G B G B G B G B G
etc..

But this will mean 2 boys are sitting together. That is not allowed.

Whether we pick the first slot or not fixes all other slots for us. If we pick the first slot for a girl, we get:
G B G B G B G B G B G B

If we do not pick the first slot for a girl, we get
B G B G B G B G B G B G

These are the only two acceptable options.

VeritasKarishma As per question , 2 boys should not sit together. People are distinct but we can classify as homogenous group on the basis of gender.
Thanks for pointing out the fact that _ will come between boys or girls which will void the constraint given in system.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92948 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts