Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 09:57 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 09:57

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1055 [108]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [42]
Given Kudos: 81609
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1013 [25]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Sustainability, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V44
WE:Business Development (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 355 [11]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Re: In triangle ABC to the right, if BC = 3 and AC = 4, then what is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
kirankp wrote:
In triangle ABC to the right, if BC = 3 and AC = 4, then what is the length of segment CD?

a.3
b.15/4
c.5
d.16/3
e.20/3

For this problem the solution is :

we have 3 similar triangles the main triangle : ABD two other triangles BC and ADC .
Now to find out CD we can use the later two triangles , so by similarity we have ,

BC/CA = CD/AC

which yields CD as 3.

but the answer is wrong. where have i gone wrong?

D- 16/3

we can use pythagoras theorem to solve this. AB we will be 5.
Let CD = x then AD = sqrt ( 16 + x^2)
in Triangle BAD we have AB^2 + AD^2 = BD^2 => 25 + 16 + x^2 = (3+x)^2
solving the above we get x= 16/3
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [10]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
WE:Engineering (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Re: In triangle ABC to the right, if BC = 3 and AC = 4, then what is the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
This is a MGMAT Question,
OA is D and OE is as below. Hope it helps.

Because angles BAD and ACD are right angles, the figure above is composed of three similar right triangles: BAD, ACD and BCA. [Any time a height is dropped from the right angle vertex of a right triangle to the opposite side of that right triangle, the three triangles that result have the same 3 angle measures. This means that they are similar triangles. See below for further explanation.]

To solve for the length of side CD, we can set up a proportion, based on the relationship between the similar triangles ACD and BCA:

BC/CA = CA/CD

3/4 = 4/CD

CD = 16/3
The correct answer is D.

Addendum: Let's look at how we know that triangles ACD and BCA are similar.

1) Let's say that <CDA is x degrees, and <DAC is y degrees. Since <ACD is 90 degrees, and the sum of all the interior angles in a triangle is 180, we know that x + y = 90.

2) Now let's look at <BAC. We know that <BAC + <DAC = 90, since <BAD is labeled as a right angle. We also know that <DAC is y degrees (from step 1), and that x + y = 90. Putting these facts together, we know that <BAC is x degrees.

3) We know <ACB is a right angle, since <ACD is a right angle. Since <ACB is a right angle, <BAC + <CBA = 90. Given that <BAC is x degrees, <CBA must be y degrees.

4) To summarize, <CAB has the same measure as <CDA (x degrees) , and <CBA has the same measure as <DAC (y degrees). This means that in similar triangles CAB and CAD, side BC of CAB corresponds to side CA of CAD, and side CA of CAB corresponds to side CD of CAD.

Thus, BC/CA = CA/CD.

Again, the correct answer is D.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1938 [4]
Given Kudos: 48
Send PM
Kudos
all three triangles abc, acd & abd are similar.
so, \(\frac{4}{3} = \frac{cd}{4}\) ... cd = \(\frac{16}{3}\)

it can't be \(\frac{4}{3} = \frac{4}{cd}\) ... cd = 3, because in that case \(5^2+5^2 = 6^2\) is not true

Originally posted by MBAhereIcome on 03 Nov 2011, 02:06.
Last edited by MBAhereIcome on 03 Nov 2011, 14:20, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [11]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Schools: Sloan '16 (D)
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.76
Send PM
Kudos
You can immediately tell that AB=5 because ABC is a 3-4-5 triangle. Label CD x, and AD y.

You get:

1) \(5^2+y^2=(3+x)^2\)
2) \(4^2+x^2=y^2\)

Plug in the definition of \(y^2\) from (2) into 1 and solve. You get 16/3.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 64
Send PM
Hi

I need a quick clarification on the concept of perpendicular bisector.
With a perpendicular bisector, the bisector always crosses the line segment at right angles
If any line cuts another line at 90 then it should be a perpendicular bisector right - i.e it divided the line segment into equal halves at 90 ?

So here BC should be the perpendicular bisector and the AC=CD=3 right ?

Please let me know what am missing here.

I do understand the explanations in the other thread mentioned,but can someone clarify as to why AC is not the perpendicular bisector ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Finance
GMAT Date: 04-24-2012
GPA: 2.35
WE:Operations (Investment Banking)
Send PM
MBAhereIcome wrote:

it can't be \(\frac{4}{3} = \frac{4}{cd}\) ... cd = 3, because in that case \(5^2+5^2 = 6^2\) is not true

If the 3 triangles are proportional, why can't I solve using the ratio:

\(\frac{AD}{AB} = \frac{AB}{(X+3)}\)
\(\frac{4}{5} = \frac{5}{(X+3)}\)
4(X+3) = 25
4X + 12 = 25
X = \(\frac{13}{4}\) :?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
pubchum wrote:
MBAhereIcome wrote:

If the 3 triangles are proportional, why can't I solve using the ratio:

\(\frac{AD}{AB} = \frac{AB}{(X+3)}\)
\(\frac{4}{5} = \frac{5}{(X+3)}\)
4(X+3) = 25
4X + 12 = 25
X = \(\frac{13}{4}\) :?

Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg
splittingtriangle.jpg [ 4.22 KiB | Viewed 576552 times ]

In similar triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides are equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles marked with red and blue on the diagram).

The ratios you are equating are not of corresponding sides. If you want to equate AD/AB then it should be AD/AB=AC/BC --> AD/5=4/3 --> AD=20/3. Also AD/AB=CD/AC --> (20/3)/5=CD/4 --> CD=16/3.

I merged this thread with an earlier discussion of the same question, so check this post: in-triangle-abc-if-bc-3-and-ac-4-then-what-is-the-126937.html#p1050155 it might help to clear your doubts.

Please ask if anything remains unclear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5230 [0]
Given Kudos: 136
Send PM
Hi Bunuel,

How did you infer that angle BAC = angle ADC. Could you please explain that part.. I know this can be proved thro similarity, however I wanted to understand from your concept, which you have mentioned below.
Pls explain.

Thanks
H
Bunuel wrote:
rvinodhini wrote:
Hi

With a perpendicular bisector, the bisector always crosses the line segment at right angles
If any line cuts another line at 90 then it should be a perpendicular bisector right - i.e it divided the line segment into equal halves at 90 ?

I do understand the explanations in the other thread mentioned,but can someone clarify as to why AC is not the perpendicular bisector ?

A perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°. So AC to be a perpendicular bisector of BD it must not only cut it at 90° (which it does) but also cut it into two equal parts. Now, in order AC to cut BD into two equal parts right triangle ABD must be isosceles, which, as it turns out after some math, it is not.

Complete solution:
In triangle ABC, if BC = 3 and AC = 4, then what is the length of segment CD?
A. 3
B. 15/4
C. 5
D. 16/3
E. 20/3
Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg

Important property: perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular AC divides right triangle ABD into two similar triangles ACB and DCA (which are also similar to big triangle ABD). Now, in these three triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles marked with red and blue on the diagram).

So, \(\frac{CD}{AC}=\frac{AC}{BC}\) --> \(\frac{CD}{4}=\frac{4}{3}\) --> \(CD=\frac{16}{3}\).

Answer: D.

For more on this subject please check Triangles chapter of Math Book: math-triangles-87197.html

Hope it helps.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619197 [5]
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
imhimanshu wrote:
Hi Bunuel,

How did you infer that angle BAC = angle ADC. Could you please explain that part.. I know this can be proved thro similarity, however I wanted to understand from your concept, which you have mentioned below.
Pls explain.

Thanks
H

Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg
splittingtriangle.jpg [ 4.22 KiB | Viewed 575369 times ]

<B+<D+<A=180, since <A=90 then <B+<D=90;
Similarly in triangle ABC: <B+<BAC=90 since <B=90-<D then (90-<D)+<BAC=90 --> <BAC=<D.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [7]
Given Kudos: 103
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.61
WE:Consulting (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
enigma123 wrote:
Attachment:
Triangle.jpg

A. 3
B. 15/4
C. 5
D. 16/3
E. 20/3

Learn this property:

AC^2=BC*DC

=>DC=16/3
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [2]
Given Kudos: 76
Send PM
Kudos
the given solution is neat and simple but it didnt strike me when solving
anyways here is another alternate way though i admit its lengthy calculation
let us assume CD=x
thus, AD=sqrt(x^2+16)
also in traingle ABD, BD^2=AB^2+AD^2
(x+3)^2=25+(x^2+16)
x=32/6=16/3

(D)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 475 [1]
Given Kudos: 84
GMAT Date: 04-30-2015
Send PM
Kudos
Bunuel wrote:
rvinodhini wrote:
Hi

A perpendicular bisector is a line which cuts a line segment into two equal parts at 90°. So AC to be a perpendicular bisector of BD it must not only cut it at 90° (which it does) but also cut it into two equal parts. Now, in order AC to cut BD into two equal parts right triangle ABD must be isosceles, which, as it turns out after some math, it is not.

Complete solution:
A. 3
B. 15/4
C. 5
D. 16/3
E. 20/3
Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg

Important property: perpendicular to the hypotenuse will always divide the triangle into two triangles with the same properties as the original triangle.

Thus, the perpendicular AC divides right triangle ABD into two similar triangles ACB and DCA (which are also similar to big triangle ABD). Now, in these three triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles marked with red and blue on the diagram).

So, \(\frac{CD}{AC}=\frac{AC}{BC}\) --> \(\frac{CD}{4}=\frac{4}{3}\) --> \(CD=\frac{16}{3}\).

For more on this subject please check Triangles chapter of Math Book: math-triangles-87197.html

Hope it helps.

This part is clear: triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles)

However, how does one determine which angles are equal? Except 90 degree angles of both triangles, i could not seem to follow how exactly other angles became equal?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
earnit wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
rvinodhini wrote:
Hi

Complete solution:
A. 3
B. 15/4
C. 5
D. 16/3
E. 20/3
Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg

Hope it helps.

This part is clear: triangles the ratio of the corresponding sides will be equal (corresponding sides are the sides opposite the same angles)

However, how does one determine which angles are equal? Except 90 degree angles of both triangles, i could not seem to follow how exactly other angles became equal?

Both smaller triangles are similar to the large triangle. So they are similar to each other too.

In triangles BAD and BCA,
Angle BAD = BCA (90 degrees)
and angle B is common in both
So by AA, triangles BAD and BCA are similar

Similarly, in triangles BAD and ADC,
angle BAD = ACD (90 degrees)
and angle D is common in both
So by AA, triangles BAD and ACD are similar

So triangle BAD is similar to triangle BCA and ACD so triangle BCA is similar to triangle ACD too.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Kudos
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
rvinodhini wrote:
Hi

Complete solution:
A. 3
B. 15/4
C. 5
D. 16/3
E. 20/3
Attachment:
splittingtriangle.jpg

Hope it helps.

Both smaller triangles are similar to the large triangle. So they are similar to each other too.

In triangles BAD and BCA,
Angle BAD = BCA (90 degrees)
and angle B is common in both
So by AA, triangles BAD and BCA are similar

Similarly, in triangles BAD and ADC,
angle BAD = ACD (90 degrees)
and angle D is common in both
So by AA, triangles BAD and ACD are similar

So triangle BAD is similar to triangle BCA and ACD so triangle BCA is similar to triangle ACD too.

Hi Karishma,

Thanks for explaining this. I understand how 3 triangles are similar to each other. However how do we determine which side is similar to which in order to set up the ratio.

for example, if we take two smaller triangles - Triangle ABC and ADC....I think side AB is corresponding to AD, BC is corresponding to CD and AC is common. Is that correct? if yes, how do I find which side is corresponding in the smaller triangle with respect to the bigger triangle?

Many thanks in advance.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64936 [6]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Kudos