Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 27 Jul 2014, 20:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
TAGS:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 13:48
I think including Texas Tech in that group is a bit of a stretch (OK, a huge stretch :)), but I agree with the others. Rice, Baylor, TCU, SMU, A&M, and UT will open lots of doors for you in the state, even though there is a huge disparity in academics and prestige just within that group.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
avatar
Joined: 24 Mar 2010
Posts: 347
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 23 Jan 2013, 19:11
str1der wrote:
Like to weigh in from an international student's perspective and also as an 'outsider' (read prospective international applicant) who applied to schools

Perspective 1: International Student
Neither Tuck nor Stern by their own have a very well known brand name outside of the US. However, NYU is much better known internationally than Dartmouth. This may seem ironic but its true. However, the term Ivy League, irrespective of its actual weightage/value etc., gets thrown around a lot. So if you say you went to an Ivy League business school to an employer in India for example, they do sit up. If you say you went to NYU Stern, they'll say OK I know about NYU, but don't know how good/bad it is and what Stern is.

Perspective 2: Outsider
When I visited the US in April last year, I visited NYU Stern. I wasn't impressed - the facility is a building, the common areas where you have parties etc. are essentially rooms in that building. I actually felt a bit suffocated, and taking the lift to go to classrooms just felt a bit weird. I strongly felt I was visiting an office rather than a school. I understand that space is limited in NYC, but I somehow didn't feel too good about paying $100K plus in tuition and going to that sort of facility. We sat in a classroom where we got a download from the admissions team - again, I didn't like the classrooms at all. The other school I went to was Wharton, which was much, much better. Plus, NYU Stern just didn't give me a good sense of campus camaraderie.

The other aspect I must mention, is that in April I networked with many current/former MBA students. When I told them I visited Stern because it may figure on my list of schools, I typically saw a quizzical face on the other end. Folks didn't seem to think it was a great program, certainly not 'prestigious'. Everyone acknowledges its good for finance, but is it the best school for finance - NO. The location lends some advantage maybe, the vast alumni network definitely does, but there's nothing more to it. Based on this perception, plus the feel I got when I visited the school, I dropped it from my list.

After receiving news of my admit, I sent messages to friends who have gone to Tuck, Yale, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD etc. I even spoke to the former admissions director of a top 3 school, who mentioned that Tuck is a fantastic program (she stressed on the fantastic bit). Essentially, those who are in the know, deeply admire the school. Hence, in terms of prestige, I certainly feel Tuck beats NYU hands down.



I think this analysis is spot on. I have not visited stern, but friends who have visited have echoed similar sentiments regarding the facilities. I did however attend a session in my home city that was hosted by an admissions officer. It was super laid back, and we just mingled with 6 stern alums who showed up. I hate saying this, but I was extremely unimpressed by the alums. I then asked friends who went to top b-schools on their thoughts on stern, and their reaction was very similar to what str1der described, some even worse. For example, a buddy who did wharton and now works in MBB office in europe talked about joint finance career treks with other schools. He remarked that the sternies stood out as not being as sharp and accomplished and had a chip on their shoulder. I heard similar comments from other folks as well. I badly wanted to apply to stern because of its NYC location and quality of finance courses, but ultimately I realized that there are better options out there.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 09:23
Shawshank wrote:
str1der wrote:
Like to weigh in from an international student's perspective and also as an 'outsider' (read prospective international applicant) who applied to schools

Perspective 1: International Student
Neither Tuck nor Stern by their own have a very well known brand name outside of the US. However, NYU is much better known internationally than Dartmouth. This may seem ironic but its true. However, the term Ivy League, irrespective of its actual weightage/value etc., gets thrown around a lot. So if you say you went to an Ivy League business school to an employer in India for example, they do sit up. If you say you went to NYU Stern, they'll say OK I know about NYU, but don't know how good/bad it is and what Stern is.

Perspective 2: Outsider
When I visited the US in April last year, I visited NYU Stern. I wasn't impressed - the facility is a building, the common areas where you have parties etc. are essentially rooms in that building. I actually felt a bit suffocated, and taking the lift to go to classrooms just felt a bit weird. I strongly felt I was visiting an office rather than a school. I understand that space is limited in NYC, but I somehow didn't feel too good about paying $100K plus in tuition and going to that sort of facility. We sat in a classroom where we got a download from the admissions team - again, I didn't like the classrooms at all. The other school I went to was Wharton, which was much, much better. Plus, NYU Stern just didn't give me a good sense of campus camaraderie.

The other aspect I must mention, is that in April I networked with many current/former MBA students. When I told them I visited Stern because it may figure on my list of schools, I typically saw a quizzical face on the other end. Folks didn't seem to think it was a great program, certainly not 'prestigious'. Everyone acknowledges its good for finance, but is it the best school for finance - NO. The location lends some advantage maybe, the vast alumni network definitely does, but there's nothing more to it. Based on this perception, plus the feel I got when I visited the school, I dropped it from my list.

After receiving news of my admit, I sent messages to friends who have gone to Tuck, Yale, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD etc. I even spoke to the former admissions director of a top 3 school, who mentioned that Tuck is a fantastic program (she stressed on the fantastic bit). Essentially, those who are in the know, deeply admire the school. Hence, in terms of prestige, I certainly feel Tuck beats NYU hands down.



I think this analysis is spot on. I have not visited stern, but friends who have visited have echoed similar sentiments regarding the facilities. I did however attend a session in my home city that was hosted by an admissions officer. It was super laid back, and we just mingled with 6 stern alums who showed up. I hate saying this, but I was extremely unimpressed by the alums. I then asked friends who went to top b-schools on their thoughts on stern, and their reaction was very similar to what str1der described, some even worse. For example, a buddy who did wharton and now works in MBB office in europe talked about joint finance career treks with other schools. He remarked that the sternies stood out as not being as sharp and accomplished and had a chip on their shoulder. I heard similar comments from other folks as well. I badly wanted to apply to stern because of its NYC location and quality of finance courses, but ultimately I realized that there are better options out there.


As for the facilities, I thought they were fine, not bad, not great, but it's what I expected in the middle of Manhattan, perhaps even a bit better. And, by the way, Columbia's facilities are WAY worse in my opinion, which I think is relevant considering no other top schools have campuses quite so embedded in a major city as these two. So Columbia is a good reference point (however, Columbia will have new facilities in the somewhat near future, I think). From a pure building & facilities perspective, I think it's a bit ridiculous to compare the the facilities of any school in downtown Manhattan to one in the middle-of-nowhere New Hampshire. It's not a fair fight. At Dartmouth they have the luxury of space, but not much else (outside of the school community). At Stern/Columbia, you have no space, but you have Manhattan.

Shawshank, I think your comments regarding Stern are a bit over the top; it almost seems like you have a chip on your shoulder, or that you have something against Stern. No one is saying that Stern is as prestigious as Tuck (although it's not that far behind, no offense to Tuck, but it's Tuck we're talking about, not Wharton, the difference isn't big), but my personal experience with Stern has been great so far. The students seem very bright, friendly, and enthusiastic about their school. The sense of community, at least as far as I could tell from two visits, was much stronger than I would have expected at an inner city bschool. The two professors I heard from seemed to really know their stuff as well. And they have maybe the most impressive list of course offerings I've seen.

I apologize for my defense of Stern, I probably won't even end up going there, but I don't like to see seemingly random school bashing. Both of these schools are great. If Shawshank's opinion was the generally accepted one, no one would go to Stern, they wouldn't be ranked nearly as well as they are, and you'd have already "known" that Stern was a crappy school just from reading posts on GMAT Club. I would take any single person's perception of the school, in isolation, with a grain of salt (including mine...haha).

My guess would be that your success in getting a job in finance will be more tied to you personally and what's on your resume, and not as much to the slight difference in prestige of these two schools. If you want investment banking, Stern will get you there just as easily as Tuck I would suspect. If you want buyside, knowing nothing about you I would say your chances are slim at either of these schools, unless you have some awesome and/or relevant prior experience or connections. So depending on what exactly you want, the added Tuck prestige may or may not help you, and you should probably just go where you see yourself having a better experience.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 43
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 24 Jan 2013, 21:39
Shawshank wrote:
Let's ensure that GMAT Club remains a mature forum.



Very well said Shawshank (great movie btw). Someone probably needs to stop overcompensating for something, this isn't the first time I've seen a comment like this from him.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 15 Nov 2010
Posts: 13
GMAT 1: 730 Q V
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 1

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 06:30
bigcountry wrote:
Shawshank wrote:
Let's ensure that GMAT Club remains a mature forum.



Very well said Shawshank (great movie btw). Someone probably needs to stop overcompensating for something, this isn't the first time I've seen a comment like this from him.


Nor is it the first time I've seen Shawshank bashing Stern for no apparent reason. I think codytravers' analysis is "spot on". If this were an isolated occurence, I wouldn't have said anything. I don't post a lot on these forums. But it's not an isolated occurence, and it's obvious that he has something against Stern. The "don't shoot the messenger" defense doesn't really hold either - the only reason you're relaying "information" from your elitist buddies is because you believe it yourself. Which is fine, if a bit odd, but at least own up to it; don't tell us that you personally think Stern is a great school, because that's obviously not what you truly think. If you think it sucks, then say you think it sucks, and give us some logical reasoning behind it.

I wasn't trying to start a feud, I was just hoping you (Shawshank) would cool it. If you were just an elitist who looked down upon every non M7 or m8 school, at least then I'd understand it. The fact that it's always about Stern is just plain weird dude.
Intern
Intern
avatar
Joined: 04 May 2012
Posts: 24
Location: United States
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q42 V49
GPA: 3
WE: Operations (Energy and Utilities)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 10 [0], given: 10

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 06:59
HotFuzz wrote:
The fact that it's always about Stern is just plain weird dude.


Ha, don't get him started on YSOM either.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 43
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:06
hollaback wrote:
HotFuzz wrote:
The fact that it's always about Stern is just plain weird dude.


Ha, don't get him started on YSOM either.


True, it takes two to tango. School-bashing is bad, but people-bashing is worse. Keep 'em above the belt, everyone :)
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 01 Dec 2012
Posts: 43
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE: Information Technology (Computer Software)
Followers: 0

Kudos [?]: 19 [0], given: 11

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 08:19
codytravers wrote:
Nah, when it comes to people-bashing, Shawshank is completely fair game. Dude's a troll if you haven't noticed.


Don't spend enough time on here to notice :wink:
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 19:29
He just didn't apply to Stern because it wasn't 'transformational' enough and the social scene for single guys wasn't like 'shooting fish in a barrel.' Cut him some slack.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 06 Jun 2011
Posts: 149
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
Schools: Anderson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.5
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 31 [0], given: 25

GMAT Tests User Reviews Badge
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 20:29
Haha, he's such a loser. Btw congrats on Harvard you smart f**k, he would definitely kill his extended family to be in your shoes.
Current Student
avatar
Joined: 14 Jul 2010
Posts: 129
Concentration: Healthcare
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 29 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 22:50
codytravers wrote:
Haha, he's such a loser. Btw congrats on Harvard you smart f**k, he would definitely kill his extended family to be in your shoes.


Haha thanks man. Congrats to you as well.
VP
VP
User avatar
Status: Current Student
Joined: 24 Aug 2010
Posts: 1346
Location: United States
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE: Sales (Consumer Products)
Followers: 94

Kudos [?]: 399 [0], given: 73

Premium Member
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 25 Jan 2013, 23:19
This thread needs to quickly get back on topic before it gets deleted and the useful advice that's buried in here gets lost. Please do NOT turn GMAT Club into WSO.
_________________

The Brain Dump - From Low GPA to Top MBA (Updated September 1, 2013) - A Few of My Favorite Things--> http://cheetarah1980.blogspot.com
Image

Intern
Intern
User avatar
Joined: 25 Jul 2012
Posts: 4
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 5 [0], given: 0

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 05:54
cheetarah1980 wrote:
This thread needs to quickly get back on topic before it gets deleted and the useful advice that's buried in here gets lost. Please do NOT turn GMAT Club into WSO.


This post is actually pretty ironic since Shawshank was bashing Stern on WSO for a very very long time. Suddenly, a change of heart here since he knows the Adcoms are watching!
Chat Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 31 Oct 2011
Posts: 516
Schools: Johnson '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
WE: Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Followers: 34

Kudos [?]: 194 [0], given: 57

Premium Member
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink] New post 08 Feb 2013, 07:57
That's enough. Locked.
_________________

My Applicant Blog: http://hamm0.wordpress.com/

Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious?   [#permalink] 08 Feb 2013, 07:57
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
13 Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? mbaBoston2012 33 22 Jan 2013, 04:27
8 Experts publish their posts in the topic NYU Stern ($$$$) vs Tuck ($) saya1905 21 08 Feb 2013, 10:35
38 Experts publish their posts in the topic Tuck vs Darden ($$$+chance at prestigious fellowship) joy4ol 65 13 Jan 2013, 17:16
Stern vs. Tuck cwhs 2 27 Feb 2011, 05:15
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious?

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

Go to page   Previous    1   2   [ 34 posts ] 



GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.