Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:42 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28575 [1]
Given Kudos: 130
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1017 [1]
Given Kudos: 3851
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [2]
Given Kudos: 5
GPA: 3.11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 452 [0]
Given Kudos: 883
Schools: ISB '21 (A)
GMAT 1: 640 Q45 V35
GMAT 2: 670 Q45 V37
GMAT 3: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Re: Two types of earthworm, one black and one red-brown, inhabit the woods [#permalink]
I chose B as my answer because of the following reasoning.

To strengthen an argument that A causes B, we should remove any possibility of C causing B.
A = Forest turning back
B = Black earthworm population increasing
C = The birds DO NOT prefer black earthworms over red earthworms

So, when we remove another possible factor (C) that could cause (B), it strengthens the argument .
The population of black earthworms have increased significantly NOT because the birds DO NOT prefer black earthworms.

OR

The population of black earthworms have increased significantly even though the birds prefer to eat black earthworms.

If the birds do not prefer black earthworms, then, now that the forest has turned black, red earthworms have lost their camouflage, so birds are eating more red earthworms. The population of red earthworms has decreased and so the number or black earthworms is almost equal to the number of red earthworms now.
Basically, the equality of the number of black and red earthworms is not because birds are eating red earthworms more, but because black earthworms are getting camouflage now that the forest has turned black.
So, I feel statement B also strengthens the argument.

Can anyone please explain why this reasoning is wrong? Is it too far fetched?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [2]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Re: Two types of earthworm, one black and one red-brown, inhabit the woods [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
PriyankaPalit7 wrote:
I chose B as my answer because of the following reasoning.

To strengthen an argument that A causes B, we should remove any possibility of C causing B.
A = Forest turning back
B = Black earthworm population increasing
C = The birds DO NOT prefer black earthworms over red earthworms

So, when we remove another possible factor (C) that could cause (B), it strengthens the argument .
The population of black earthworms have increased significantly NOT because the birds DO NOT prefer black earthworms.

OR

The population of black earthworms have increased significantly even though the birds prefer to eat black earthworms.

If the birds do not prefer black earthworms, then, now that the forest has turned black, red earthworms have lost their camouflage, so birds are eating more red earthworms. The population of red earthworms has decreased and so the number or black earthworms is almost equal to the number of red earthworms now.
Basically, the equality of the number of black and red earthworms is not because birds are eating red earthworms more, but because black earthworms are getting camouflage now that the forest has turned black.
So, I feel statement B also strengthens the argument.

Can anyone please explain why this reasoning is wrong? Is it too far fetched?

(B) could strengthen that "blackening of the woods is responsible" but it does not strengthen "blackening of the woods is SOLELY responsible".

Check out my detailed post on this: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/2015/1 ... onclusion/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
TGC wrote:
In 1990, a factory was built in Millerton and emissions from the factory blackened much of the woods. The population of black earthworms is now almost equal to that of the red-brown earthworm, a result, say local ecologists, solely stemming from the blackening of the woods.

Premise states that due to
"Red Color" of wood red -worms were not easily preyed upon,while the blacks were so R = 5 times the B

As stated in RED quoted above .

Industry set -up => Blackening of woods => easy contrast for REDS bad contrast for BLACKS => Drop in numbers of RED which supports the conclusion in green ,this causal relation as I mentioned above supports the conclusion . Doesn't it?

This is a good point. One more thing to consider is why isn't the blackworm population greater than the red worm population, given the blackening of the woods. There must be a reason the red worm population is not tapering off. Option C is the only option that gives a possible reason for the red worm population to equilibrate w/o going down. If option A is true then the black worm population would eventually be much larger than the red worm population.

Therefore C.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 409
Send PM
Hey experts

KarishmaB GMATNinja mikemcgarry ExpertsGlobal5 AjiteshArun

Could you explain why option D is incorrect? Isn't option D indirectly saying that lifespan did not cause it. Hence we are eliminating one possible cause. Hence, it is strengthening the argument.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64939 [1]
Given Kudos: 427
Send PM
Two types of earthworm, one black and one red-brown, inhabit the woods [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
waytowharton wrote:
Hey experts

KarishmaB GMATNinja mikemcgarry ExpertsGlobal5 AjiteshArun

Could you explain why option D is incorrect? Isn't option D indirectly saying that lifespan did not cause it. Hence we are eliminating one possible cause. Hence, it is strengthening the argument.

Initially, number of Red worms was 5 times that of Black worms (because of better camouflage for Red). Now the two are almost equal, only because camouflage favours Black.
What will help strengthen it? By saying that nothing else changed between the two (e.g. red did not get infected by a virus that attacks red worms only).

A statement that gives us data about both together as a group will not make any distinction between the two. (D) says that avg earthworm lifespan has not changed. So it doesn't give any distinction between the numbers of the two. What affects (or doesn't affect) one affects (or doesn't affect) the other in the same way so it is not useful.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2 
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts