Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:29 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Re: Types of Conclusion on CR [#permalink]
vinayrsm wrote:
Hi All,

We all know that most CR questions (except the one in which we need to draw a conclusion) provide a conclusion and that the Conclusion proposes a relationship between different Entities.

I was wondering what are the main types of Conclusion (i.e. relationship between entities) on CR questions? The following comes to my mind:

#1 (most important and perhaps ) Causality between different Entities (X leads to Y).
#2 Correlation between different entities (X increases when Y increases or decreases).
#3 Moderating influence on a relationship (i.e. X leads to Y only if Z is present or absent).

The benefit of knowing all the major types of relationships is that this can allow us to pre-think an answer based on the specific type (for instance, we know that causality can be strengthened or weakened by different evidences)

Are there any other main types of conclusions? If yes, please share. Thanks!

If you just talking about causal relationships, please go through chapter 7, "CAUSE AND EFFECT REASONING", in CR bible.

Refer this:
powerscore-critical-reasoning-bible-full-chapter-notes-115864.html#p937472
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Hi Fluke,

No, I am not talking about only Causal Relationship. I have gone through Powerscore CR.
My question is that causal relationship represents ONLY one type of relationship stated in CR conclusions, what are the other types of relationship that can be present in the conclusions? I hope I am more clear in my question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
hmm.... nobody thinks that there are other types of conclusion except Causal ones?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Vinay,

Great post and thx for sharing your experience with cr and rc questions. Yes I agree with you. I believe though formal logic is not directly tested on gmat , the underlying principle of most conclusion questions is formal logic only. whenever you bring even little of outside info in a conclusion or evaluate or assumption question you stand 100 % chance of getting the question wrong. Also most of inference questions on RC passages too limit the scope of questions to what is implied in passage. strong language/ extreme language or even u real world general truths result in wrong answer choices most of the time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6923 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13961 posts