Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:49 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4702 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Re: Types of Conclusion on CR [#permalink]
hmm.... nobody thinks that there are other types of conclusion except Causal ones?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [4]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Kudos
vinayrsm wrote:
Hi All,

We all know that most CR questions (except the one in which we need to draw a conclusion) provide a conclusion and that the Conclusion proposes a relationship between different Entities.

Are there any other main types of conclusions? If yes, please share. Thanks!

Hii vinay,

Well for now I can't share all possible types of conclusion, but will certainly make a note of every type I counter from now on and add up to this thread time to time. Apart from conclusion, faulty reasoning questions also have some major types of faulty conclusions (Post hoc ergo propter hoc, cum hoc ergo propter hoc, argumentum ad hominem etc etc ). here is a list of common fallacious conclusions I got from Lsatblog. I am pasting them here.

List of common logical fallacies compiled by Steve Schwartz - ManhattanLSAT from https://lsatblog.blogspot.com/

1. Ice cream sales increase in the summer. Violent crime also increases in the summer.
Therefore, ice cream causes violent crime.
-Assumes that correlation means causation. However, there is a third variable here -the increased temperature in the summertime, which causes both ice cream sales and violent crime to increase.

2. Before women got the vote, there were no nuclear weapons. Therefore, women’s suffrage led to the development of nuclear weapons.
-"Post hoc ergo propter hoc" fallacy. Believes that just because one thing came before another means that the first thing caused the second thing.

3. “I can’t believe you attended that protest. Why don’t you support our country?”
-Assumes more than is warranted. Attending a protest does not necessarily mean that you don't support the country.

4. You get cancer and seek treatment. With health being your only concern, you decide
to go the hospital that has the highest cancer patient survival rates.
-While this sounds good at first, think about what kind of hospital would have the highest cancer patient survival rates. While this could mean it's a great hospital, it might also mean the hospital is receiving the easiest, most straightforward cases. The most skilled doctors want a challenge, so they go to hospitals specializing in more difficult and rare forms of cancer. People with difficult cases seek out these doctors. As such, these doctors will have lower cancer patient survival rates even though they are better doctors.

5. Bill: "I believe that downloading is morally wrong."
Dave: "Of course you would say that, you're a record company executive."
-"Ad hominem." Dave attacks a personal characteristic of Bill, rather than addressing Bill's position.

6. My teacher said that I had to read the textbook if I wanted to pass the exam. I have
read the textbook, so I will definitely pass the exam.
-Confuses necessary and sufficient conditions. If you pass the exam, it means you read the textbook, but reading the textbook is not enough to pass the exam. You must understand what's in the textbook, be able to write well, show up to the exam, etc.

7. Oil spills are always caused by hull breaches. Therefore, if oil tankers are reinforced
with double hulls, oil spills will decrease.
-"System effect." This does address the cause of the hull breaches, which would make you think that oil spills will decrease. However, once the sailors know the tanker is reinforced with double hulls, they might sail the ship more recklessly, which can lead to more hull breaches and oil spills.

8. If Robert Moses hadn’t built all those roads and bridges in New York City, traffic
congestion today would be even worse.
-Building all the roads and bridges makes it easier for traffic to get to NYC. Also, someone else might have built them instead.

9. Before every major revolution, a country experiences economic decline. Therefore,
economic decline leads to revolutions.
-Confuses necessary and sufficient conditions. If we have a revolution, we know economic decline came before it. However, economic decline can occur without a revolution following it.

10. "I’ll only believe in evolution when a monkey gives birth to a human."
-"Straw man" argument. Sets an unreasonably high burden of proof and misrepresents the theory of evolution.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks AJ85! This is quite helpful! +1

Also, I would like to share the two different types of logical reasoning used in CR questions (I just made the summaries for myself so wanted to share).

There are two categories of questions on CR and RC that require different modes of thinking – Inductive reasoning and Deductive reasoning:

1. Real-world reasoning questions (Inductive):

a. Specific instance to general conclusions
b. Allows real-world common-sense assumptions
c. Conclusion can be false even if all premises are true because this reasoning involves a logical leap in order to state a general conclusion from a specific instance.
d. Example: In a survey, 4 out of 5 people said that X is crazy. Therefore, 80% of entire population thinks X is crazy (weak induction).
Examples of questions on RC: Main Idea, Purpose, Structure; on CR: Strengthen, Weaken

2. Formal logic questions (Deductive):

a. General statements to specific conclusions
b. Does NOT allow any assumptions
c. Conclusion must be true based on given premises to be a valid conclusion. NO additional assumptions allowed. Conclusion can be valid or invalid (derived properly from premises or not); sound or unsound (premises are true or not) but can’t be false.
d. Example: All men are mortal. X is men. Therefore X is mortal.
Examples of questions on RC: Inference, According to…, Detail; on CR: Inference, Draw a conclusion, Must be true
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 300 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Send PM
Vinay,

Great post and thx for sharing your experience with cr and rc questions. Yes I agree with you. I believe though formal logic is not directly tested on gmat , the underlying principle of most conclusion questions is formal logic only. whenever you bring even little of outside info in a conclusion or evaluate or assumption question you stand 100 % chance of getting the question wrong. Also most of inference questions on RC passages too limit the scope of questions to what is implied in passage. strong language/ extreme language or even u real world general truths result in wrong answer choices most of the time.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13957 posts