Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 20:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 20:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC
Schools:Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: MC
Schools:Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Re: Unconventional answers about management consulting [#permalink]
Thanks a lot for this thread, Paradosso.
I'm interested in consulting , post-MBA. How do you think my background as a wireless design engineer would help/harm this? Where would I best fit in in a consulting firm? Is there any such thing as strategy consulting for technology companies like Google, MSoft etc? I am trying to understand what my short-term goals shold be if I went into consulting, with my background. Any insights on this?

On a different note, if I wanted to be a financial services consultant, would an MBA suffice or would I need some other qualifications?
thanks a lot
NM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
Hi guys,

without trying to put Paradosso in the shade, here are my two cents

regarding the financial certification: I think always it's useful to be certified on something. Depending on the sector, you should study for the followings: CAIA (hedge funds), FRM/PRM (Risks) or CFA (general finance)

of course, there are many, many certifications but I think these are the most important.

Regards
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If you want consulting based on what I have heard this fall so far, go after it hard for your internship. There aren't a lot of spots open for people who didn't intern for firms during the summer. The few positions they will probably fill are going to be the ones that were turned down by interns who hated consulting (common feeling). I have been pretty surprised with how many people did not enjoy working at a big 3 and are going to recruit for other things this year instead.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Chicago Booth, Class of 2011
 Q49  V39
Send PM
Is there any rhyme or reason as to what these individuals pursue if they turn down the big 3 offer? I've only spoken with second years at Chicago that are accepting the offer...the ones that hated the gig are probably hiding the in the closet.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
fluidian wrote:
Is there any rhyme or reason as to what these individuals pursue if they turn down the big 3 offer? I've only spoken with second years at Chicago that are accepting the offer...the ones that hated the gig are probably hiding the in the closet.

I spoke to one individual that interned at one of the Big 3 and turned it down because that person wanted to focus on a particular industry, and that firm placed them into an industry/functional role that did not suit them or their interests.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Paradosso wrote:
1. Do European offices hire almost exclusively from European b-schools?
2. If working in an office in a European country other than the UK, is it necessary to know the local language (French, Italian, etc.)?
3. Are European offices significantly "older" or "younger" than U.S. offices, i.e. do they prefer older candidates for each level (analyst, associate, engagement manager), sort of like European b-. It'sprefer more experienced folks?

1. Not at all! While most people come from European schools, INSEAD in the first place, for abvious reasons (they are Europeans in the first place), European office are dying to recruit from US schools. Remember that schools are a signal to the employer that their graduate is a low-risk hire. Everyone knows that the best schools and the fiercest competition to get in are to be found in the US, so they want to get those people. They really want to --you can ask good money.

Yet most of the US schools graduates are Europeans because

2. Yes, you have to be fluent in the local language (i.e., you have to be able to speak with the client). Not native (being a foreigner could indeed be an advantage), but fluent of that fluency that can be learnt. Think 105 in the TOEFL. Ok, you have never took teh TOEFL, never mind :). The more an office works abroad the more they can think to staff you around in English-speaking engagements, which are also very high-profile, so you better be good (my money says you fit that bill). So I say that for an American who is willing to learn languages, is very possible to work in Europe at Bain, quite possible to work at McK, difficult to work at BCG. Things change if you are willing to go to Kiev or Moscow, no one expects you to speak Russian there and you will make a lot of money.

3. There is no real age preference at recruiting. At the same level, you will find Europeans are older (especially in Italy/Germany) because:

a. there are more years of study to gain an undergraduate degree
b. there is always some kind of thesis/dissertation that takes up other time
c. few people begin straight into consulting

I, for one, am 27 and have been working for two years only. That said, you will find 32-year-old partners here too: he who sells wins, that's worldwide.

Hope that helps guys!

Paradosso - thanks again for all your great posts. I am hoping you can expand a bit on questions 1 & 2 above.

Besides M/B/B, which other top firms (such as boutiques L.E.K., OC&C, etc), accomodate the most to international assignments? Specifically, I am American and would like to work in consulting in Europe after my MBA. Would it be better to select to interview for a full-time position with an office in Europe from the get-go, or interview and get in to a US office first, and then internally transfer to a European office later? I have "fair" french speaking/reading/writing abilities from taking classes during undergrad, but I am not fluent in business situations (as of right now). Which top firms would help me get to Europe, at least for a year or two? I am thinking London is probably the most likely scenario, but would love to experience other locations (Paris, Moscow, Munich, etc).

Additionally, I have heard consulting activity in Africa is slowly increasing (Morocco, Egypt, etc). Gaining professional experience there would also be of interest. Do you have any insight about how projects in Africa are staffed? I am guessing that if a consulting firm does not have an office in Africa, they staff projects from offices which are relatively close by (London, etc)?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
bump - would really appreciate any more comments to keep this topic alive! :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello,

I was hoping you could provide some feedback on what I would be doing and experiencing in a more operational consulting role at say IBM/PWC/ACCENTURE. How do you value these positions and do they still make for a good stepping stone into management?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks paradosso! I really admire your selfless approach.
+1 to you. Thanks once more for opening such an informative thread.
[rating1]Red/1[/rating1]
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Send PM
blast00 wrote:
Hello,

I was hoping you could provide some feedback on what I would be doing and experiencing in a more operational consulting role at say IBM/PWC/ACCENTURE. How do you value these positions and do they still make for a good stepping stone into management?

The work is dependent on the group function you're in. A strategy consultant at PWC will bid for the same projects that someone at MBB is going for. If you're looking specifically into operations/IT, then it's really all about systems implementation.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3 
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
GMAT Tutor
1905 posts