Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Jul 2014, 07:33

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Verbal Issue: Still on the same track

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
Author Message
Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 883
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 20:33
Hi folks,

I desperately need GMAT Verbal experts advise as I think I am prolonging my preparation due to this.

Background: It has been a while since I have been practicing verbal.But still I am not getting my answers correct.I have already exploited official material (OG11/12/13/VR2)

Past Real GMAT : 630 (Q47,V29)

Theory: PowerScore CR BIBLE, MGMAT SC Guide

Issues:

(1). When I practice CR , I forgot how to do SC and my accuracy in SC drops and vice-versa.

(2). I am currently practicing from GMAT-700-800 CR document which I have started two days back.But when I attempt assumption questions , I am unable to solve them correctly.I have seen videos by RON and I have already wen through POWERSCORE CR BIBLE.

Approach: I try to look at the GAP between premise and assumption but I am unable to spot the GAP in most of the arguments.So, when sometimes I am unable to see the GAP in the argument, I follow the sequence given by RON.

->Identify GAP
-> Try to challenge the argument and nullify that challenge in the answer
-> Last resort -> Assumption Negation technique

After applying the above process it is unlikely that I will save time and it is likely that sometimes I get the questions wrong.

(3).Sometimes in tough stimulus I wrongly interpret conclusion so I miss the assumption also.

(4). I gave two mocks in last two weeks.

MGMAT Q45,V31
GMATPREP Q49,V29

I studied quant for 2 days before my second mock and nourished my malnutrition in RATE/WORK problems and got 2/2 of them right too.

I mean to say that it is easy to increase the quant score. However, I am not able to get the secret behind what VERBAL needs.I already gave 1 year 2 months and still struggling in VERBAL and I gave just two days to quant and saw the improvement.

Can the experts enlighten me in my verbal prep.

Regards,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Manhattan GMAT Discount CodesKaplan GMAT Prep Discount CodesKnewton GMAT Discount Codes
Expert Post
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4573
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4468 [0], given: 162

Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 02 Oct 2013, 20:57
Expert's post
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

I desperately need GMAT Verbal experts advise as I think I am prolonging my preparation due to this.

Background: It has been a while since I have been practicing verbal.But still I am not getting my answers correct.I have already exploited official material (OG11/12/13/VR2)

Past Real GMAT : 630 (Q47,V29)

Theory: PowerScore CR BIBLE, MGMAT SC Guide

Issues:

(1). When I practice CR , I forgot how to do SC and my accuracy in SC drops and vice-versa.

(2). I am currently practicing from GMAT-700-800 CR document which I have started two days back.But when I attempt assumption questions , I am unable to solve them correctly.I have seen videos by RON and I have already wen through POWERSCORE CR BIBLE.

Approach: I try to look at the GAP between premise and assumption but I am unable to spot the GAP in most of the arguments.So, when sometimes I am unable to see the GAP in the argument, I follow the sequence given by RON.

->Identify GAP
-> Try to challenge the argument and nullify that challenge in the answer
-> Last resort -> Assumption Negation technique

After applying the above process it is unlikely that I will save time and it is likely that sometimes I get the questions wrong.

(3).Sometimes in tough stimulus I wrongly interpret conclusion so I miss the assumption also.

(4). I gave two mocks in last two weeks.

MGMAT Q45,V31
GMATPREP Q49,V29

I studied quant for 2 days before my second mock and nourished my malnutrition in RATE/WORK problems and got 2/2 of them right too.

I mean to say that it is easy to increase the quant score. However, I am not able to get the secret behind what VERBAL needs.I already gave 1 year 2 months and still struggling in VERBAL and I gave just two days to quant and saw the improvement.

Can the experts enlighten me in my verbal prep.

Regards,
TGC!


Yes, assumption questions are not very easy for most people. I have discussed them at length on my blog. Check out these posts.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... sumptions/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... -question/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/04 ... ons-again/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/04 ... inference/
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 883
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 21 Oct 2013, 00:01
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

I desperately need GMAT Verbal experts advise as I think I am prolonging my preparation due to this.

Background: It has been a while since I have been practicing verbal.But still I am not getting my answers correct.I have already exploited official material (OG11/12/13/VR2)

Past Real GMAT : 630 (Q47,V29)

Theory: PowerScore CR BIBLE, MGMAT SC Guide

Issues:

(1). When I practice CR , I forgot how to do SC and my accuracy in SC drops and vice-versa.

(2). I am currently practicing from GMAT-700-800 CR document which I have started two days back.But when I attempt assumption questions , I am unable to solve them correctly.I have seen videos by RON and I have already wen through POWERSCORE CR BIBLE.

Approach: I try to look at the GAP between premise and assumption but I am unable to spot the GAP in most of the arguments.So, when sometimes I am unable to see the GAP in the argument, I follow the sequence given by RON.

->Identify GAP
-> Try to challenge the argument and nullify that challenge in the answer
-> Last resort -> Assumption Negation technique

After applying the above process it is unlikely that I will save time and it is likely that sometimes I get the questions wrong.

(3).Sometimes in tough stimulus I wrongly interpret conclusion so I miss the assumption also.

(4). I gave two mocks in last two weeks.

MGMAT Q45,V31
GMATPREP Q49,V29

I studied quant for 2 days before my second mock and nourished my malnutrition in RATE/WORK problems and got 2/2 of them right too.

I mean to say that it is easy to increase the quant score. However, I am not able to get the secret behind what VERBAL needs.I already gave 1 year 2 months and still struggling in VERBAL and I gave just two days to quant and saw the improvement.

Can the experts enlighten me in my verbal prep.

Regards,
TGC!


Yes, assumption questions are not very easy for most people. I have discussed them at length on my blog. Check out these posts.

http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... sumptions/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/03 ... -question/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/04 ... ons-again/
http://www.veritasprep.com/blog/2013/04 ... inference/


Hi Karishma,

My query:

For a non-native,is it essential that only daily reading of articles would improvise the verbal performance on the mock tests. Since my case , I have already exploited official material and much more material. However, when I appear in a mock, I am not 100% confident in verbal questions.

So what is the MANTRA for verbal for non-natives knowing the FACT that GMAT is leaning towards logical/meaning based questions than the mere rules or patterns in SC or CR.

Please advise

Rgds,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 883
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 01:45
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on whatsapp
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections have inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!


Rgds,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
User avatar
Joined: 19 Oct 2012
Posts: 498
Location: United Kingdom
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V36
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V44
Followers: 19

Kudos [?]: 156 [1] , given: 101

GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member
Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 22 Oct 2013, 02:58
1
This post received
KUDOS
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on whatsapp
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections having inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!


Rgds,
TGC!


Practice reading long articles. Economist, WSJ, Financial Times are all good sources to practice from. After reading a long article, try and ask yourself:
1) what argument was the author trying to make
2) what evidence do they provide in support of their argument
3) what weaknesses are there in their argument

This will help to take away the fear of long paragraphs of text.
_________________

*Updated 30th May*: Part 4 Recommendations – Elements of an MBA application series
Blog: http://domotron.wordpress.com

Elements of an MBA application series
GMAT (28/02) | Profile (11/03) | Networking / Research (01/04) | Recommendations (30/05) | Essays / Online applications | Interview

My 710 (Q50, V36) Debrief + 740 (Q48, V44) Update:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/710-q50-v36-phew-i-m-done-with-the-gmat-probably-150067.html

Please share your profiles for this application season below:
http://gmatclub.com/forum/2014-profiles-w-admit-dings-results-no-discussion-162160.html

Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
User avatar
Joined: 16 Oct 2010
Posts: 4573
Location: Pune, India
Followers: 1029

Kudos [?]: 4468 [1] , given: 162

Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 23 Oct 2013, 22:37
1
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on whatsapp
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections have inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!


Rgds,
TGC!


The more you fixate on your issue with long texts, the more they will trouble you. What you need to do is stop thinking in terms of long or short texts - easier said than done now that you are convinced that you don't do well with long texts. The problem is of concentration - you probably lose your focus with longer texts.

Do this exercise regularly:

Take a 10 line paragraph. Read two lines and tell yourself the gist of what you have read. Read two more lines and do the same till you reach the end. Then tell yourself the gist of the whole passage. After you do this for a few days, start reading 3 lines at a time. Then go on to 4 and so on till you start reading the whole paragraph in one go and telling yourself the gist. That is all you need to be able to do for CR and RC.
Learn to keep your focus. The 180 character generation is usually low on concentration - no surprise there! But it's not hard to learn.
_________________

Karishma
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor
My Blog

Save $100 on Veritas Prep GMAT Courses And Admissions Consulting
Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Director
Director
avatar
Joined: 03 Aug 2012
Posts: 883
Concentration: General Management, General Management
Schools: IIM A '15
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
Followers: 11

Kudos [?]: 159 [0], given: 299

Premium Member CAT Tests
Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track [#permalink] New post 24 Oct 2013, 02:21
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
TGC wrote:
Hi folks,

Lately I have realized that I am having a disease which makes me fear long texts. For instance

Long jokes on whatsapp
Long text statuses on FB etc etc.

So this thing carries with me in the mock tests and haunts me in both the sections.

(1). I am happy with small question texts in Quants , and I stumble mostly in easy questions with long texts, thereby decreasing my score.

Otherwise I am average in quants and love to solve the problems.

(2). On verbal this disease haunts me like a giant.

And so are my accuracy for individual sections have inverse relationship with the texts of different questions.

Last Mock:

SC (Small text) -> Accuracy 90%
CR (Relatively larger text and more thinking) -> Accuracy 50-60%
RC (Largest text of all ) -> Accuracy 50%

Though I admit that I am haven't practiced RC before this mock, so the score. But if you can observe my issue has to do with the text size and not the frameworks or strategies.

Please advise !!


Rgds,
TGC!


The more you fixate on your issue with long texts, the more they will trouble you. What you need to do is stop thinking in terms of long or short texts - easier said than done now that you are convinced that you don't do well with long texts. The problem is of concentration - you probably lose your focus with longer texts.

Do this exercise regularly:

Take a 10 line paragraph. Read two lines and tell yourself the gist of what you have read. Read two more lines and do the same till you reach the end. Then tell yourself the gist of the whole passage. After you do this for a few days, start reading 3 lines at a time. Then go on to 4 and so on till you start reading the whole paragraph in one go and telling yourself the gist. That is all you need to be able to do for CR and RC.
Learn to keep your focus. The 180 character generation is usually low on concentration - no surprise there! But it's not hard to learn.


Hi Karishma,

Thanks for the advise and looks it would work for me.

Furthermore, I have VeritasPrep OD course with me and I have finished the Quant lessons since I thought to make Quant 50-51 before moving to verbal.

Can you please advise whether the Verbal part of OD course is on the similar lines as Quant course since I loved the quant course and the strategies which Brian explained.

And how to best utilize the verbal course of OD?

Rgds,
TGC!
_________________

Rgds,
TGC!
_____________________________________________________________________
I Assisted You => KUDOS Please
_____________________________________________________________________________

Re: Verbal Issue: Still on the same track   [#permalink] 24 Oct 2013, 02:21
    Similar topics Author Replies Last post
Similar
Topics:
3 Experts publish their posts in the topic Verbal issue.. VerbalHow 4 22 Jan 2014, 22:58
5 Experts publish their posts in the topic Marla starts running around a circular track at the same enigma123 14 16 Mar 2012, 06:55
12 Marla starts running around a circular track at the same gmatcracker24 17 07 Oct 2011, 08:09
Verbal Issues Jules 8 23 Aug 2006, 09:05
If cars F and S are racing on the same circular track and Priti 12 18 Aug 2005, 12:28
Display posts from previous: Sort by

Verbal Issue: Still on the same track

  Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  


GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Privacy Policy| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap

Powered by phpBB © phpBB Group and phpBB SEO

Kindly note that the GMAT® test is a registered trademark of the Graduate Management Admission Council®, and this site has neither been reviewed nor endorsed by GMAC®.