Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 24 Oct 2014, 07:39

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

visiting schools after application submission?

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
Manager
Manager
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 13 [0], given: 20

visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 01 Nov 2012, 22:05
Hi,

I plan to visit some of the programs I had applied in R1. I was not able to do this before I had submitted my application---because of scheduling conflict at work. now that I had already submitted my application, will a visit to the program bolster my chance of getting in? :-D
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE: Information Technology (Retail)
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 328 [1] , given: 108

Premium Member Reviews Badge
Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 03:04
This post received
KUDOS
bodu wrote:
Hi,

I plan to visit some of the programs I had applied in R1. I was not able to do this before I had submitted my application---because of scheduling conflict at work. now that I had already submitted my application, will a visit to the program bolster my chance of getting in? :-D

At this point, unless you are waitlisted and have something new to write about, no. BUT, it is still important to visit a school before spending $100k+ and 2 years of your life on it. You need to make sure you'd actually be happy there...
1 KUDOS received
BSchool Forum Moderator
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q V0
Followers: 9

Kudos [?]: 135 [1] , given: 27

Premium Member
Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 07:34
This post received
KUDOS
It certainly wouldn't hurt, but I agree that for Round 1, it's a little late. However, I could see it helping if you haven't yet had your interviews. Your story of why you like a particular school would mean more if you're able to back it up by saying that you've already visited the school.
1 KUDOS received
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Schools: Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Followers: 20

Kudos [?]: 113 [1] , given: 1

Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:21
This post received
KUDOS
At this stage of the game, visiting a school will do between very little to nothing to help your candidacy. You should wait and see if you are granted an interview and if you are, then arrange for an on-campus interview (if available). Alternatively, you might want to wait until you are admitted and visit the school without having to worry about impressing people and in the process objectively evaluate whether the program is right for you. Lastly, I would recommend using your time more strategically -- if applying to other schools - concentrate on those applications, if have year-end work demands - focus on getting things done so taking time off for interviews will not be questioned, taking a well deserved vacation for having endured the stress of applying to graduate business schools.

One other thing I forgot to mention - make sure that you are well prepared for your interviews. If you are granted an interview, your chances of admissions have increased dramatically and the interview is pretty much the make or break of your application.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Manhattan Review GMAT Prep & MBA Admissions Consulting
Web: http://www.manhattanreview.com | Phone: +1.212.316.2000
Receive 20% off Admissions Consultings as GMATClub member!

Manager
Manager

Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:46
Hi All!

I am still planning to visit my schools to get a feel for the program. Thank you all for your kind advices!
1 KUDOS received
Current Student
Affiliations: CFA
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: Johnson '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE: Accounting (Insurance)
Followers: 8

Kudos [?]: 74 [1] , given: 7

Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 08:53
This post received
KUDOS
bodu wrote:
Hi All!

I am still planning to visit my schools to get a feel for the program. Thank you all for your kind advices!

bodu,

that's a pretty good decision. It def cant hurt you. And at a school if they really arent feeling your answer to why us in an essay, they might look up your name in a database they have of people who've visited and see if you did. In this event, your name would pop up at least as someone who is coming, so this might get you the benefit of the doubt that your interested. I would bet most schools keep a database of who has visited or will visit.
Manager
Manager

Re: visiting schools after application submission? [#permalink] New post 02 Nov 2012, 09:04
Dbalks wrote:
bodu wrote:
Hi All!

bodu,

that's a pretty good decision. It def cant hurt you. And at a school if they really arent feeling your answer to why us in an essay, they might look up your name in a database they have of people who've visited and see if you did. In this event, your name would pop up at least as someone who is coming, so this might get you the benefit of the doubt that your interested. I would bet most schools keep a database of who has visited or will visit.

Hi Dbalks! thank you for your advice! that definitely firmed up my decision.
Re: visiting schools after application submission?   [#permalink] 02 Nov 2012, 09:04