Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 21:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 21:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Statistics and Sets Problemsx                           
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3604 [41]
Given Kudos: 94
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
RC & DI Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 31934 [12]
Given Kudos: 290
Send PM
General Discussion
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1763 [4]
Given Kudos: 69
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]
Kudos
I understand how to this problem is being solved. I got confused when I was combining both statement, and thought that together I had enough information since 1) told me the Lowest number for both year and 2)told me the average, so I thought I could find the range by doing. Lowest amount + Average= Highest amount. so 400+2000= 2,400. but I think i'm just mixing up things.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE:Business Development (Accounting)
Send PM
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]
Divyadisha wrote:
nalinnair wrote:
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its projects last year equal to the range of the amounts of money that it budgeted for its projects this year?

(1) Both last year and this year, Company Y budgeted money for 12 projects and the least amount of money that it budgeted for a project was $400.
(2) Both last year and this year, the average (arithmetic mean) amount of money that Company Y budgeted per project was $2,000.

We have to figure out if range of budgets was equal to that of this year. If we could calculate the largest value- smallest value, then we will get the answer.

(1) Both last year and this year, Company Y budgeted money for 12 projects and the least amount of money that it budgeted for a project was $400.

Total number of projects= 12
Same value of $400 was allocated for least budgeted project.

We don't know the value allocated to highest budgeted project. Insufficient

(2) Both last year and this year, the average (arithmetic mean) amount of money that Company Y budgeted per project was $2,000.

Mean is 2000, but we don't know total number of projects and lowest and highest value. Insufficient.

Combining both statement.

Total value allocated= 12*2000= 24000

lowest value= 400
Remaining 236000 can be spread across 11 projects in any way, or the spread could be different for last year and this year. Not sufficient.

E is the answer

Why would it matter how its spread out? isnt the question asking about the range i.e. Highest value - smallest Value.? Could you explain detail why the option is E not C.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 2499 [1]
Given Kudos: 459
Send PM
Re: Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]
Kudos
mtk10 wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
nalinnair wrote:
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its projects last year equal to the range of the amounts of money that it budgeted for its projects this year?

We have to figure out if range of budgets was equal to that of this year. If we could calculate the largest value- smallest value, then we will get the answer.

Total number of projects= 12
Same value of $400 was allocated for least budgeted project.

We don't know the value allocated to highest budgeted project. Insufficient

Mean is 2000, but we don't know total number of projects and lowest and highest value. Insufficient.

Combining both statement.

Total value allocated= 12*2000= 24000

lowest value= 400
Remaining 236000 can be spread across 11 projects in any way, or the spread could be different for last year and this year. Not sufficient.

E is the answer

Why would it matter how its spread out? isnt the question asking about the range i.e. Highest value - smallest Value.? Could you explain detail why the option is E not C.

Yes you are right. Question is asking about Highest-Lowest value. Now we know that for each year, lowest value=400. And total value for each year = 12*2000 = 24000. The thing is that total =24000, and lowest for each year =400. But how does this tell us whats the highest value for each year? Its possible that highest value last year was 4000, and highest value this year was 3800. That would give different ranges for the two years.
But its also possible that highest values were also same for both years, in that case range would be same.

so we cant say.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
nalinnair wrote:

----------

We need to see: Is Range (last year) = Range (this year) ?

Stmt 1: No. of projects =12, Min = 400 => Not sufficient
Stmt 2: Average=2000 => Not sufficient
Both together, => Not sufficient becauase 2000-400=1600 can be divided among 11 projects in multiple ways leading to different max values & hence differenet ranges
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GPA: 2.79
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
nalinnair wrote:

Reqd.- Range Last year=Range This year
Or Max Last year- Min Last year= Max This year- Min this year
Yes/No type

St-1- Project no.= 12 both year and Min amount last year= this year= 400
but we do not know max amount insufficient. (A and D out)

St-2 AM last year= AM this year= 2000, clearly insufficient no max min values (B out)

Combine
we can get sum of the budgeted money but it cant tell max value for last year or this year So C out

E is the answer.
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 22055 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
Expert Reply
nalinnair wrote:

Solution:

Question Stem Analysis:

We need to determine whether the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its projects last year is equal to the range of the amounts of money that it budgeted for its projects this year. If we know both the amount of money of the project with the least budget for each year and the amount of money of the project with the greatest budget for each year, then we can determine whether the ranges of the two years are equal or not.

Statement One Alone:

We are given the amount of the money of the project with the least budget for each year; however, since we are not given the amount of the money of the project with the greatest budget for each year, we can’t determine whether the ranges of the two years are equal or not. Statement one alone is not sufficient.

Statement Two Alone:

This does not tell us the amount of money of the project with the least budget for each year nor the amount of money of the project with the greatest budget for each year. Statement two alone is not sufficient.

Statements One and Two Together:

Even with the two statements, we still don’t know the amount of the money of the project with the greatest budget for each year. Both statements together are not sufficient.

Answer: E
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92915 posts