GMAT Changed on April 16th - Read about the latest changes here

It is currently 24 Apr 2018, 18:01

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
B
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.52
Reviews Badge
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 03:52
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

25% (medium)

Question Stats:

78% (01:04) correct 22% (01:12) wrong based on 290 sessions

HideShow timer Statistics

Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its projects last year equal to the range of the amounts of money that it budgeted for its projects this year?

(1) Both last year and this year, Company Y budgeted money for 12 projects and the least amount of money that it budgeted for a project was $400.
(2) Both last year and this year, the average (arithmetic mean) amount of money that Company Y budgeted per project was $2,000.
[Reveal] Spoiler: OA
Expert Post
1 KUDOS received
Math Expert
V
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 09:26
This post received
KUDOS
Expert's post
This post was
BOOKMARKED
nalinnair wrote:
Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its projects last year equal to the range of the amounts of money that it budgeted for its projects this year?

(1) Both last year and this year, Company Y budgeted money for 12 projects and the least amount of money that it budgeted for a project was $400.
(2) Both last year and this year, the average (arithmetic mean) amount of money that Company Y budgeted per project was $2,000.

what we require to answer-
actual values of highest and least amount or some info to get the ratio/value..

lets see the statements-

the statement just gives us the least possible amount of money in both years -12*400..
clearly insuff

(2) Both last year and this year, the average (arithmetic mean) amount of money that Company Y budgeted per project was $2,000
again we just know the average money per budget to be same
Insuff

Combined...
we know there are 12 projects and average is same 2000 for both years...
so amount of money is the same...
also the least money is the same for both...
BUT for RANGE, we require to know the highest amount of money budgeted for any project out of 12 months..
Insuff

E

Absolute modulus :http://gmatclub.com/forum/absolute-modulus-a-better-understanding-210849.html#p1622372
Combination of similar and dissimilar things : http://gmatclub.com/forum/topic215915.html

GMAT online Tutor

1 KUDOS received
Current Student
GMAT 1: 660 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.98
GMAT ToolKit User
Re: Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 26 May 2016, 09:49
This post received
KUDOS
nalinnair wrote:

We have to figure out if range of budgets was equal to that of this year. If we could calculate the largest value- smallest value, then we will get the answer.

Total number of projects= 12
Same value of $400 was allocated for least budgeted project.

We don't know the value allocated to highest budgeted project. Insufficient

Mean is 2000, but we don't know total number of projects and lowest and highest value. Insufficient.

Combining both statement.

Total value allocated= 12*2000= 24000
lowest value= 400
Remaining 236000 can be spread across 11 projects in any way, or the spread could be different for last year and this year. Not sufficient.

E is the answer

I welcome critical analysis of my post!! That will help me reach 700+

Intern
Intern
Re: Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Dec 2016, 05:16
I understand how to this problem is being solved. I got confused when I was combining both statement, and thought that together I had enough information since 1) told me the Lowest number for both year and 2)told me the average, so I thought I could find the range by doing. Lowest amount + Average= Highest amount. so 400+2000= 2,400. but I think i'm just mixing up things.
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GMAT 1: 650 Q47 V34
GPA: 3.41
WE: Business Development (Accounting)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 06:46
Divyadisha wrote:
nalinnair wrote:

We have to figure out if range of budgets was equal to that of this year. If we could calculate the largest value- smallest value, then we will get the answer.

Mean is 2000, but we don't know total number of projects and lowest and highest value. Insufficient.

lowest value= 400
Remaining 236000 can be spread across 11 projects in any way, or the spread could be different for last year and this year. Not sufficient.

E is the answer

Why would it matter how its spread out? isnt the question asking about the range i.e. Highest value - smallest Value.? Could you explain detail why the option is E not C.
1 KUDOS received
DS Forum Moderator
G
Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 09 Dec 2017, 08:35
This post received
KUDOS
mtk10 wrote:
Divyadisha wrote:
nalinnair wrote:

lowest value= 400

E is the answer

Why would it matter how its spread out? isnt the question asking about the range i.e. Highest value - smallest Value.? Could you explain detail why the option is E not C.

Yes you are right. Question is asking about Highest-Lowest value. Now we know that for each year, lowest value=400. And total value for each year = 12*2000 = 24000. The thing is that total =24000, and lowest for each year =400. But how does this tell us whats the highest value for each year? Its possible that highest value last year was 4000, and highest value this year was 3800. That would give different ranges for the two years.
But its also possible that highest values were also same for both years, in that case range would be same.

so we cant say.
Manager
Manager
B

Show Tags

New post 03 Jan 2018, 19:43
nalinnair wrote:

----------

We need to see: Is Range (last year) = Range (this year) ?

Stmt 1: No. of projects =12, Min = 400 => Not sufficient
Stmt 2: Average=2000 => Not sufficient
Both together, => Not sufficient becauase 2000-400=1600 can be divided among 11 projects in multiple ways leading to different max values & hence differenet ranges
Manager
Manager
B
Concentration: Operations, General Management
Schools: ISB '20, XLRI
GPA: 2.79
WE: Project Management (Manufacturing)
Reviews Badge

Show Tags

New post 05 Jan 2018, 05:07
nalinnair wrote:

Reqd.- Range Last year=Range This year
Or Max Last year- Min Last year= Max This year- Min this year
Yes/No type

St-1- Project no.= 12 both year and Min amount last year= this year= 400
but we do not know max amount insufficient. (A and D out)

St-2 AM last year= AM this year= 2000, clearly insufficient no max min values (B out)

Combine
we can get sum of the budgeted money but it cant tell max value for last year or this year So C out

E is the answer.
Re: Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its   [#permalink] 05 Jan 2018, 05:07

Was the range of the amounts of money that Company Y budgeted for its

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap