Last visit was: 10 May 2024, 10:32 It is currently 10 May 2024, 10:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11678 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11678 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Re: What is a good score for RC? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Sanky7,

From this book-practice, you got about 70% of the questions correct, which is pretty good. There's no 'application' for this information though. The decisions that you're looking to make are completely dependent on your CAT scores. Have you taken ANY CATs recently (and what were the results)?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Send PM
What is a good score for RC? [#permalink]
Hi, as the above poster said, doing questions straight from a book does not emulate real GMAT scoring.

It is a great way to practice your skills, but the only way to accurately assess your current performance is by taking a full length CAT, including the essay and IR portions.

But to answer your questions, I believe material from the OG RC, along with OG in general, is quite basic and a 85+% accuracy rate, in timed conditions, is required to translate into a 700 score on the GMAT. For Quant, you better be hitting 95%+ on OG material in about 90 seconds per question.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi gg,
Can you suggest me how can get my RC score from 70% to 85%?

Originally posted by Sanky7 on 21 Sep 2015, 13:20.
Last edited by Sanky7 on 22 Sep 2015, 10:24, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
GPA: 2.3
Send PM
Sanky7 wrote:
Hi gg,
Can you suggest me how can get my RC score from 70% to 85%? I have invested in powerscore rc last, will this suffice?

This is the best way:
1. Go through a RC textbook, I recommend MGMAT RC (pm me if you need a pdf version)
2. Do all the questions in OG and verbal, with time constraints
3. Keep track of all questions you got wrong. Analyze the explanations for all questions, with special attention to the ones you missed.
4. Go to gmatclub and do RC passages first at the 600 level, then 600-700, then 700+
5. Only move to a higher didficulty once you mastered the lower ones. There is no need to dive into hard questions right away.

This is a very systematic way to first learn a topic, and then apply the theory in increasing difficulty. This approach will work for all question types.

Perfect practice makes perfect.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sanky7 wrote:
Hi gg,
Can you suggest me how can get my RC score from 70% to 85%? I have invested in powerscore rc last, will this suffice?

The most important part of RC question is to comprehend the passage.
There are various methods of reading the passage such as skimming, reading the first and the last line attentively etc.

I would recommend you to make a passage map of each paragraph. This will aid your comprehension of the passage.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:

There are various methods of reading the passage such as skimming, reading the first and the last line attentively etc.

I would recommend you to make a passage map of each paragraph. This will aid your comprehension of the passage.

Hi Janielle,
I have observed that making a passage map of each paragraph consumes a lot of time which makes it difficult to finish the question within time.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ggurface wrote:

This is the best way:
1. Go through a RC textbook, I recommend MGMAT RC (pm me if you need a pdf version)
2. Do all the questions in OG and verbal, with time constraints
3. Keep track of all questions you got wrong. Analyze the explanations for all questions, with special attention to the ones you missed.
4. Go to gmatclub and do RC passages first at the 600 level, then 600-700, then 700+
5. Only move to a higher didficulty once you mastered the lower ones. There is no need to dive into hard questions right away.

This is a very systematic way to first learn a topic, and then apply the theory in increasing difficulty. This approach will work for all question types.

Perfect practice makes perfect.

Thanks for showing me a way out but I have already gone through MGMAT RC twice. Can you suggest me any other resource to study from? Or as you mentioned earlier, now my focus should solely be on solving more and more questions?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1372 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Send PM
Expert Reply
Sanky7 wrote:
OptimusPrepJanielle wrote:

Hi Janielle,
I have observed that making a passage map of each paragraph consumes a lot of time which makes it difficult to finish the question within time.

You can improve your timing by practice. Try to time all the RCs you solve from now on.
Also, if you are able to solve a long RC in 8 minutes and short one in 6 minutes, you are right on track.

You can save the time in SC questions and invest them in RC
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 3675 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
You may be interested in GMAT PILL's Reading Comprehension Pill.

You can see a sample of what to expect here: https://www.gmatpill.com/practicequestio ... tions.html

Hit the "Back to Reading Comprehension" link to see a list of other passages and video explanations.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Send PM
What is the penality if i get more qns wrong in RC. Would i affect drastically my score. And what difficulty wouldthe Rcs be nrmally
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4668 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
Anazeer wrote:
What is the penality if i get more qns wrong in RC. Would i affect drastically my score. And what difficulty wouldthe Rcs be nrmally
The GMAT does not treat RC differently. That is, it is the characteristics of the question(s) that matter, not the type. The GMAT is an adaptive test, so you can expect the GMAT to be capable of giving you questions across a lot of difficulty levels.
GMAT Club Bot