Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 01:23 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 01:23

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [38]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619089 [28]
Given Kudos: 81596
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [1]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [4]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: General Management, Operations
Schools: ISB '14
GPA: 3.09
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: DS What is the absolute difference between the cubes of two [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
boomtangboy wrote:
Hi,

I got the answer as A.

Let the 2 nos be x & y

We need to find |x^3 - y^3|

Statement 1 : x = 2+y

substitute in quest stem => |(2+y)^3 - y^3|
from the above you can find y & hence x

Statement 2 : (x+y)^2 - xy > 49
In statement 2 we cant eliminate x or y hence Statement 2 is insufficient

Thus answer is A

Hope this helps

Statement 2 : (x+y)^2 - xy= 49
on simplification we get \(x^2+y^2+xy=49\). Not sufficient.

But when we combine 1&2
\(|x^3 - y^3|=|(x-y)(x^2+y^2+xy)|\)
=|(2)(49)|
so we can answer by 1&2 together. So the answer should be C. |
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: What is the absolute difference between the cubes of two [#permalink]
IMO the correct answer is C
first the requirement is to find the value of |x^3 - y^3| or |(x-y)( x^2 + y^2 + xy)|
1) x = y + 2 or x -y = 2, Not sufficient
2) (x+y)^2 = 49 + xy, as we simplify we get x^2 + y^2 + xy = 49
insufficient because we don't know the value of x - y from this statement
combine 1 and 2, we get the value of (x-y) and ( x^2 + y^2 + xy) hence sufficient. :)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Hey Bunnel, thanx for a nice explanation . I have learned something new today with ur explanation. Every time i read ur posts, it further reimposes my faith that ur a true legend.
Thanx a ton.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1258 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
Thanks a ton Bunuel. Your explanations are really helpful. Thanks a lot again! :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2096 [0]
Given Kudos: 33
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Ya thanks Bunuel....

I forgot the expansion of (a^3 - b^3)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
cubes of x and y [#permalink]
Could you please help me to understand where is the flaw in my reasoning:
I chose the answer D for this problem, since
the first statement gives us the relationship between two variables : if the second item is two more than the first one, doesn't it mean x=x+2, where x+2 =y
Attachments

Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 10.57.07 PM.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-04 at 10.57.07 PM.png [ 31.45 KiB | Viewed 11094 times ]

Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619089 [0]
Send PM
Re: cubes of x and y [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Galiya wrote:
Could you please help me to understand where is the flaw in my reasoning:
I chose the answer D for this problem, since
the first statement gives us the relationship between two variables : if the second item is two more than the first one, doesn't it mean x=x+2, where x+2 =y

Merging similar topics. Please refer to the solutions above and ask if anything remains unclear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 715 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
But, Bunuel, why can't i set x=x+2, where x+2=y? Since the first statement tells us "one of the integers is 2 greater than the other". The only thing confused me - "ONE of the integers", what means i don't know the exact order
May be my question is stupid one- but i just need to grasp it fully
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
Galiya wrote:
But, Bunuel, why can't i set x=x+2, where x+2=y? Since the first statement tells us "one of the integers is 2 greater than the other". The only thing confused me - "ONE of the integers", what means i don't know the exact order
May be my question is stupid one- but i just need to grasp it fully

First of all x=x+2 doesn't make any sense, because x's cancel out and we have that 0=2, which is not true.

Next, "one of the integers is 2 greater than the other integer" CAN be expressed as x+2=y, (assuming that y is larger), but even in this case we cannot get the single numerical value of y^3-x^3, for example consider: y=2, x=0 and y=3, x=1.

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 29 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
IMO C..

nice work bunnel.....

But are we expected to know 5,3 is the pair which solves given condition if integers are only positive?
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619089 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
vdbhamare wrote:
IMO C..

nice work bunnel.....

But are we expected to know 5,3 is the pair which solves given condition if integers are only positive?

You can get that the statements taken together are sufficient even if you don't know that the only pair possible is (5, 3): \(x^3-y^3=(x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)\) --> (1) says that \(x-y=2\) and (2) says that \(x^2+x y+y^2=49\) --> \(x^3-y^3=(x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)=2*49=98\).

Hope it's clear.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 224 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
vdbhamare wrote:
IMO C..

nice work bunnel.....

You can get that the statements taken together are sufficient even if you don't know that the only pair possible is (5, 3): \(x^3-y^3=(x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)\) --> (1) says that \(x-y=2\) and (2) says that \(x^2+x y+y^2=49\) --> \(x^3-y^3=(x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)=2*49=98\).

Hope it's clear.

It was difficult to see that \(x^3-y^3\) can we written as \((x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)\)

is there an easier way to understand this or must it be learnt by heart.
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
qlx wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
vdbhamare wrote:
IMO C..

nice work bunnel.....

Hope it's clear.

It was difficult to see that \(x^3-y^3\) can we written as \((x-y) (x^2+x y+y^2)\)

is there an easier way to understand this or must it be learnt by heart.

It's good to memorize that formula. But even if you don't know it, you can still the correct answer as shown here: what-is-the-absolute-difference-between-the-cubes-of-two-129157.html#p1059501
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
What is the absolute difference between the cubes of two different non-negative integers?

Given: \(x\) and \(y\) are different non-negative integers. Question: \(|x^3-y^3|=?\)

(1) One of the integers is 2 greater than the other integer --> \(|x-y|=2\). There exist infinitely many such \(x\) and \(y\), thus we'll have infinitely many different values of \(|x^3-y^3|\). For example consider \(x=2\), \(y=0\) and \(x=3\), \(y=1\). Not sufficient.

(2) The square of the sum of the integers is 49 greater than the product of the integers --> \((x+y)^2=xy+49\) --> \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\). Now, we can not simply say that this statement is not sufficient (as done in the above post), because we have some constraints on \(x\) and \(y\), namely that they are non-negative integers. Taking this into account, from \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\) we can say that both \(x\) and \(y\) are integers from 0 to 7, inclusive. By trial and error we can easily find that only two pairs satisfy this equation: (7,0) and (5,3), in any order. Not sufficient.

Notice that if we were told that \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers (instead of non-negative integers) then this statement would be sufficient, since only one pair would remain: (5,3).

(1)+(2) Since from (1) \(|x-y|=2\) then from (2) only one pair is valid: (5,3). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hello Bunuel . After solving stem 2 and coming to the point of \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\) , I deduced that since it is an equation in 2 variables it will not be solvable. I substituted from 1 ( y=x+2) and then realized that it transforms to a simple quadratic and then with the mentioned restriction , came to C. Would this be a right approach ?
Math Expert
Send PM
Expert Reply
himanshujovi wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
What is the absolute difference between the cubes of two different non-negative integers?

Given: \(x\) and \(y\) are different non-negative integers. Question: \(|x^3-y^3|=?\)

(1) One of the integers is 2 greater than the other integer --> \(|x-y|=2\). There exist infinitely many such \(x\) and \(y\), thus we'll have infinitely many different values of \(|x^3-y^3|\). For example consider \(x=2\), \(y=0\) and \(x=3\), \(y=1\). Not sufficient.

(2) The square of the sum of the integers is 49 greater than the product of the integers --> \((x+y)^2=xy+49\) --> \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\). Now, we can not simply say that this statement is not sufficient (as done in the above post), because we have some constraints on \(x\) and \(y\), namely that they are non-negative integers. Taking this into account, from \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\) we can say that both \(x\) and \(y\) are integers from 0 to 7, inclusive. By trial and error we can easily find that only two pairs satisfy this equation: (7,0) and (5,3), in any order. Not sufficient.

Notice that if we were told that \(x\) and \(y\) are positive integers (instead of non-negative integers) then this statement would be sufficient, since only one pair would remain: (5,3).

(1)+(2) Since from (1) \(|x-y|=2\) then from (2) only one pair is valid: (5,3). Sufficient.

Answer: C.

Hope it's clear.

Hello Bunuel . After solving stem 2 and coming to the point of \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\) , I deduced that since it is an equation in 2 variables it will not be solvable. I substituted from 1 ( y=x+2) and then realized that it transforms to a simple quadratic and then with the mentioned restriction , came to C. Would this be a right approach ?

Have you read this:
Now, we can not simply say that this statement is not sufficient (as done in the above post), because we have some constraints on \(x\) and \(y\), namely that they are non-negative integers. Taking this into account, from \(x^2+xy+y^2=49\) we can say that both \(x\) and \(y\) are integers from 0 to 7, inclusive. By trial and error we can easily find that only two pairs satisfy this equation: (7,0) and (5,3), in any order. Not sufficient.

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Statement 1. One of the integers is 2 greater than the other integer.
x = y + 2. Using this, we cannot find x3 – y3 . Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 2. The square of the sum of the integers is 49 greater than the product of the integers.
(x+y)2 = 49 + xy
x2 + y2 + xy = 49. Using this we can’t find x3 – y3. Hence, Insufficient.
Statement 1 & 2 together.
x2 + y2 + xy = (y+2)2 + y2 +(y+2)y = 49
y2 + 2y – 15 = 0
This gives y = -5,3. Since y is non negative, we take y = 3 and x = y + 2 = 5. Hence, sufficient.
Hence, c is the answer.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Math Expert
92918 posts