Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Tuck (accepted R2), HBS, Sloan (rejected R2), Darden
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:UCLA, INSEAD
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Harvard (R2 - Waiting), Stanford (R2 - See Wharton), Wharton (R2 - Bitchslapped)
Send PM
Re: What's your situation at work? [#permalink]
Kudos
Honestly, I'm a bit taken aback by the degree of professionalism they have shown me since I informed senior management of my intentions. Though in all fairness, I work at a small 25 man shop (err 21 man and 4 woman shop!), so the people are relatively close.

After a long review last May (2009), we decided that since I already did the work of a manager, I'd be promoted officially in 2 months. It never happened. And, what followed can best be described as the old cliche of when the seniors backtrack on their word due to unknown reasons and the young "go-getter", in some misguided sense of standing up against perceived injustice, reacts in a hurt and admittedly immature fashion. We were both wrong in that exchange. Perhaps I more so than them.

It did, however, push me to apply to B-School, for which I am very thankful. The position now:
1. Senior Management knows
2. It's a secret that everyone knows
3. There is a clear expectation that I'm leaving in June (once I collect 48 months for my CFA charter)
4. My 2nd bonus in May is up in the air
5. But most importantly, no one has acted negatively towards me in any way. In fact, they have volunteered recommendations on my behalf and we still joke about how absurd it is for me to only apply to H/S/W given my precarious position as a foreign national

So, while I will hopefully be admitted to my school of choice for fall and leave; I will be doing so with great respect for my colleagues, my friends.

EDIT: Damn it. If only I could have put that much emotion in to my essays.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship/Finance
Schools:McCombs Class of 2012
 Q42  V48
Send PM
WOW, cleaning out your desk is fun!!!
Intern
Intern
Schools:Harvard (R2 - Waiting), Stanford (R2 - See Wharton), Wharton (R2 - Bitchslapped)
Send PM
Kudos
texasorbust wrote:
WOW, cleaning out your desk is fun!!!

Yes it is! (Only if you quit)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
man...i got into such a **** situation at work i almost quit this week.

i had to work on sunday. then i got sick sunday night and i had to come in monday morning to do some **** that absolutely had to get done. then took monday off but worked from home. felt super sick tuesday and still had to work almost 12 hrs straight from home. all of that just so i get an email on wednesday saying my work isn't up to quality (first time i ever got that) and that more is expected of me.

went thru all day wednesday being pissed. still worked until like 10. got home super angry about not being appreciated at work and the bullshit politics in the office. though seriously about quitting. but didn't have enough balls to do so lol.

still though, i'm seriously considering it now. just gonna try to sort out a few loose ends and get my financial situation sorted out for school and hopefully an internship lined up for a summer. then quit in like march and take a vacation.

also, being that i have a good relationship with my vp, i might just ask him to lay me off and so i can collect some unemployment insurance and a severance package. that'll be sweet.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [0]
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Question for all of u:

What would you do if they wanted to promote you within the next month, tons of new responsibilities, more $, and great opportunity for more face time? (the job from your perspective sounds really cool, and you would enjoy it). Caveat: they don't know you're leaving for your MBA in about 6 months

Would you:

1. Take it, and give them the 2 weeks notice when the time comes.

2. Tell them you have to leave to pursue your MBA program (assume you haven't told them yet), and you can't take it.

3. Take it, and not go for your MBA (assume you already made it into one).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
DrSatisfaction wrote:
man...i got into such a **** situation at work i almost quit this week.

i had to work on sunday. then i got sick sunday night and i had to come in monday morning to do some **** that absolutely had to get done. then took monday off but worked from home. felt super sick tuesday and still had to work almost 12 hrs straight from home. all of that just so i get an email on wednesday saying my work isn't up to quality (first time i ever got that) and that more is expected of me.

went thru all day wednesday being pissed. still worked until like 10. got home super angry about not being appreciated at work and the bullshit politics in the office. though seriously about quitting. but didn't have enough balls to do so lol.

still though, i'm seriously considering it now. just gonna try to sort out a few loose ends and get my financial situation sorted out for school and hopefully an internship lined up for a summer. then quit in like march and take a vacation.

also, being that i have a good relationship with my vp, i might just ask him to lay me off and so i can collect some unemployment insurance and a severance package. that'll be sweet.

Hello, my fellow Torontonian ! Sorry to hear about the horrid time youve been having at work. At least you have a light at the end of the tunnel to look forward to.

Ive heard about a few others looking for summer internships; where are you looking for yours ? In Toronto, or elsewhere ? I would be interested in potentially doing the same too, but am not sure how to get started. Maybe you can PM me and take it offline.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Question for all of u:

What would you do if they wanted to promote you within the next month, tons of new responsibilities, more $, and great opportunity for more face time? (the job from your perspective sounds really cool, and you would enjoy it). Caveat: they don't know you're leaving for your MBA in about 6 months

Would you:

2. Tell them you have to leave to pursue your MBA program (assume you haven't told them yet), and you can't take it.

My boss just said he would promote me, well that is what I deserve based on years hard working. So why not?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 95 [0]
Schools:Oxford
 Q44  V49
Send PM
I was offered a promotion back in Nov, but my VP and CFO both knew I was applying for schools, so the offer was conditional upon the fact that I'd agree to stay with the company for another yr or two. I turned it down with no acceptances in hand, just cuz I didn't want to commit to something I'm not going to follow thru on.

To me, the most important thing is that my VP and CFO both were supportive for me in my time here, as well as my MBA apps/references, so I wanted to be up front with them in terms of my priorities. Therefore I didn't give them any false hope/ideas. I felt like, even if I didn't get in anywhere, I'd still be okay to get another promotion (within a yr most likely), so I wasn't risking much.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Consortium (CGSM.org), NSHMBA
Own Kudos [?]: 249 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Schools:Yale SOM Class of 2012
 Q48  V51
WE 1: Investment Banking Summer Associate (Boutique tech M&A)
Send PM
bigfernhead wrote:
Question for all of u:

Would you:

the choice here is between 2 and 3. you don't want to be burning any bridges by choosing #1, especially in this economic climate.

i guess 2 and 3 is a personal choice. did you get into your top choice school? if not, then i would take the promotion and re-apply the year after. the downside to this is if you reapply, maybe your manager won't want to write you a good rec. hard to give any advice without knowing your exact situation... but definitely not choice #1
Current Student
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
RepeatedRefresher wrote:
Honestly, I'm a bit taken aback by the degree of professionalism they have shown me since I informed senior management of my intentions. Though in all fairness, I work at a small 25 man shop (err 21 man and 4 woman shop!), so the people are relatively close.

After a long review last May (2009), we decided that since I already did the work of a manager, I'd be promoted officially in 2 months. It never happened. And, what followed can best be described as the old cliche of when the seniors backtrack on their word due to unknown reasons and the young "go-getter", in some misguided sense of standing up against perceived injustice, reacts in a hurt and admittedly immature fashion. We were both wrong in that exchange. Perhaps I more so than them.

It did, however, push me to apply to B-School, for which I am very thankful. The position now:
1. Senior Management knows
2. It's a secret that everyone knows
3. There is a clear expectation that I'm leaving in June (once I collect 48 months for my CFA charter)
4. My 2nd bonus in May is up in the air
5. But most importantly, no one has acted negatively towards me in any way. In fact, they have volunteered recommendations on my behalf and we still joke about how absurd it is for me to only apply to H/S/W given my precarious position as a foreign national

So, while I will hopefully be admitted to my school of choice for fall and leave; I will be doing so with great respect for my colleagues, my friends.

EDIT: Damn it. If only I could have put that much emotion in to my essays.

whenever I see applicants only apply to H/S/W, I cringe a little bit, but then I saw "there is a clear expectation that I'm leaving in June", I don't know what to say.

please don't get offended, but I just have seen so many applicants only focused on the top3 and ended up disappointed. And I also heard horror stories of people getting laid off because of their applying to b-school status. But again I don't know your situation, maybe you are a super star applicant :) I hope you get in to your dream school! It might just be good to also think about back-up plan if things don't pan out. I was in a similar situation where everybody knows that I am applying to school, but I played it pretty low-key and kept saying I might not get into any this year. Thank god it worked out...for one thing, I knew people have already started contacting my boss for my position....
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PBateman wrote:
egy wrote:
Everyone knows I'm applying to schools. Everyone knew last year too. Not the ideal situation, but it couldn't be helped. When I didn't get in last year, I changed roles and now report to an awesome manager who has been a big supporter of my business school aspirations. He's a stanford gsb grad himself so it's been great to have him on my side. He knows that I would probably leave around may if all works out.

The immediate plan after is a monster road trip to visit all the 17 remaining states i haven't been to:
https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8& ... 410156&z=4

Whoa! That is a big road trip.

I told work last week, and the plan is tentatively for me to leave at the end of May, so that I can still pursue an internship this summer. If I knew I could land a banking internship, I'd just leave here asap so that I could have some time off for R&R.

A road trip would be fun, but if I get any free time, my new home will be the golf course. :)

So you got an internship this summer? That's awecome! Care to share some experiences?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
theDreamChaser wrote:
whenever I see applicants only apply to H/S/W, I cringe a little bit, but then I saw "there is a clear expectation that I'm leaving in June", I don't know what to say.

please don't get offended, but I just have seen so many applicants only focused on the top3 and ended up disappointed. And I also heard horror stories of people getting laid off because of their applying to b-school status. But again I don't know your situation, maybe you are a super star applicant :) I hope you get in to your dream school! It might just be good to also think about back-up plan if things don't pan out. I was in a similar situation where everybody knows that I am applying to school, but I played it pretty low-key and kept saying I might not get into any this year. Thank god it worked out...for one thing, I knew people have already started contacting my boss for my position....

You make a very good point. I've been playing the "Dude, are you kidding? I'm not getting into these schools. I mean come on, come on." card for a month now. The fact that I've only applied to H/S/W makes my contention more plausible. Unfortunately, for some reason, they think I'm getting in (they're far more optimistic). And the fact that my visa ends in the fall (when school would start) just adds to the chaos :twisted:

But the way I left it off with my boss is "Well, there's three options really. 1. I get in and I defer for another year so that I can do a combined JD/MBA and stick around for a year. (least likely) 2. I don't get in and stick around (most likely) 3. I get in and I leave (low likelihood)". He seems to have given all three equal weighting, as opposed to my 1/100, 97/100, 2/100. My promotion chances are dead though. :(

Oh and trust me, I am far from your "superstar" applicant. Just a guy with a story to tell.

I'm just chasing after something I want. Whether it's possible or not, no longer matters.
Current Student
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
Send PM
RepeatedRefresher wrote:
theDreamChaser wrote:

You make a very good point. I've been playing the "Dude, are you kidding? I'm not getting into these schools. I mean come on, come on." card for a month now. The fact that I've only applied to H/S/W makes my contention more plausible. Unfortunately, for some reason, they think I'm getting in (they're far more optimistic). And the fact that my visa ends in the fall (when school would start) just adds to the chaos :twisted:

But the way I left it off with my boss is "Well, there's three options really. 1. I get in and I defer for another year so that I can do a combined JD/MBA and stick around for a year. (least likely) 2. I don't get in and stick around (most likely) 3. I get in and I leave (low likelihood)". He seems to have given all three equal weighting, as opposed to my 1/100, 97/100, 2/100. My promotion chances are dead though. :(

Oh and trust me, I am far from your "superstar" applicant. Just a guy with a story to tell.

I'm just chasing after something I want. Whether it's possible or not, no longer matters.

ya...I guess it's hard to manage peoples' expectations...but if they all think you can get into H/S/W, maybe you have a solid shot :)

best of luck to you! I know how being the whole visa thing adds more complication and headaches to the whole process~ so hopefully everything will work out in the best way! :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Oh I don't have a shot at all. They're just supportive and in their own way think that things will work out. Here's to hoping they're right.

At the moment I'm on a bus, speeding away to HBS' campus for a class visit in the morning. A bit late but why not check it out.

Good luck to you as well dude!

Posted from my mobile device
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Schools:Kellogg, London Business School, Darden, Cornell
Send PM
So, how are those of you who havent told work yet planning to break the news to your boss ? I've been thinking about this recently; I figure that Im probably going to work until June, take the month of July off and do some traveling.

I want to give work a good couple of months notice to be fair to them, so it will probably be around April when I do decide to tell them, and am just thinking of how to break the news now :)
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
babybyme wrote:
PBateman wrote:

Whoa! That is a big road trip.

I told work last week, and the plan is tentatively for me to leave at the end of May, so that I can still pursue an internship this summer. If I knew I could land a banking internship, I'd just leave here asap so that I could have some time off for R&R.

A road trip would be fun, but if I get any free time, my new home will be the golf course. :)

So you got an internship this summer? That's awecome! Care to share some experiences?

I'm considering that too. PBateman, any advice? it seems pretty amazing to have gotten an intern offer this early, congrats!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
TheDream wrote:
So, how are those of you who havent told work yet planning to break the news to your boss ? I've been thinking about this recently; I figure that Im probably going to work until June, take the month of July off and do some traveling.

I want to give work a good couple of months notice to be fair to them, so it will probably be around April when I do decide to tell them, and am just thinking of how to break the news now :)

Basically, one of two things is gonna happen. Your boss/employer is either gonna be very professional about it (and happy for your bschool journey), or they are gonna be the complete opposite.

Many people I've met experienced one of the 2 scenarios mentioned above and regardless of how they react, the most important thing is to keep your cool and stay professional until the last day at work. It might be hard if your employer reacts negatively to the news, but never burn any bridge. It might hurt you one way or another in the future. After all, you got into a top bschool. (In general) You need to show the professionalism. You will now be forever associated with your bschool name. Just like you wouldn't want a fellow student to damage that reputation, it is important for you to take the high road.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8