Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:17 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:17

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Ah, ok, now I get it.

Just for your reference, costs are pretty much the same for most programs in the top 30 (or even the top 50). One way around this, is that if you are a very competitive applicant at any school, they may give you scholarships (either part or even full scholarship). Other schools may give you assistanships, although I don't exactly know how that works.

The only places where overall costs are a bit higher are schools located in expensive cities, where accomodation and living costs will have a higher impact on the total cost. The ones that come to mind are: Columbia and NYU (in NYC), HBS and MIT (Boston), Stanford (Palo Alto) and, to a lesser degree, Chicago GSB and Kellogg (Chicago area). Schools outside high cost cities such as Michigan, Cornell, Duke, Darden should have lower overall costs.

Check Hjort's reviews of schools for further data. Or check the schools' websites, they all provide total estimated costs.

Cheers. L.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lorenzino wrote:
hey guys if anybody wants to share the pain of our miserable bschool-applicants nights, my msn is guy79tv*AT*hotmail.com... i'd be nice to get in touch

You could also try the GMATClub chat. We (07ers) used to have regular chats during the heights of the "waiting season". We don't do so too much these days, but you could lead the 08ers chats. Check the post below for the link and some insights:

https://www.gmatclub.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... light=chat

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I guess I'll toss my hat into the ring, I am hoping to start full time in Fall '08.

My profile is:

GMAT: 770
Asian-American

Purdue University
- BS Mechanical Engineering 3.46/4.00
- Minor in Economics (3.75 / 4.00)

Work Experience
- 24months at a large Consumer Products company
- Supply Chain Logistics, procurement, and quality experience. I am responsible for supplier performance (quality, delivery performance, supplier relations, etc.).
- Develope new processes and technologies for "Big Bet" programs
- 8 trips to Asia in the past 18mos to manage suppliers onsite. I do not have direct management experience, but my role basically manages our supply base.
- I will have a little over 3 years of work experience by fall '08 (I also have 6mos of internship experience with GM)

I am hoping to apply to Chicago GSB, Wharton, Kellog, Michigan, and Indiana. I still have to decide which schools will be R1 and which will be R2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Tuck, Kellogg, Darden, Duke, NYU, Columbia
Send PM
Me too [#permalink]
White Female, 27 in July
Currently in NY

9 years of media exp. Mostly Broadcast news.
Currently a News Producer at a top tv network

No GMAT Yet, shooting for July Guessing will be around 680+

Undergrad at a state college in Colorado gpa 3.1
Currently taking an Accounting Class at Stern

Looking at NYU, Columbia, Darden, Wharton, Chicago, Duke
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Re: Me too [#permalink]
mediamindy wrote:

You seem like fun; come to Duke! We 07-applicants will welcome you with open arms.

More seriously, your profile is interesting -- being both a woman and having a media background will certainly set you apart. Good luck. And if you ever want to gripe about what a locker room GMAT Club and the whole MBA process is, shoot me a PM.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
mediamindy wrote:

You seem like fun; come to Duke! We 07-applicants will welcome you with open arms.

More seriously, your profile is interesting -- being both a woman and having a media background will certainly set you apart. Good luck. And if you ever want to gripe about what a locker room GMAT Club and the whole MBA process is, shoot me a PM.

Hey look, another broad in the locker room!

Kidding of course. I agree MediaMindy will be an intriguing candidate for most schools with her unorthodox background.

Forcefeed - I'm sure you'll have great odds at the schools you listed, and I think you would be a good candidate for Harvard or Stanford given that you're so young (I'm assuming when you say 24 months work exp. that means you've only been out of school 2 years), these schools are particularly interested in younger candidates (as opposed to places like Wharton that aren't as young-friendly).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
johnnyx9 wrote:
Forcefeed - I'm sure you'll have great odds at the schools you listed, and I think you would be a good candidate for Harvard or Stanford given that you're so young (I'm assuming when you say 24 months work exp. that means you've only been out of school 2 years), these schools are particularly interested in younger candidates (as opposed to places like Wharton that aren't as young-friendly).

Thanks for the advice and encouragement. I think I will apply to Harvard just to satisfy my curiousity. I think I would even frame a rejection letter from them :lol:.

On GSB's site they have a section that mentions how they are actively seeking out younger candidates so I am hoping that helps me out also. FYI, I will be 24 this summer.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
forcefeed, you definitely sound like a very good bet at Michigan which, IMHO, is a very good program. My assessment is based on the students I met while visiting and the fact that some of them had similar profiles to yours'. Of course it'll all depend on the execution, competition, and other factors.

I don't know that much about your chances at the other schools, although I'd say that if you are applying to Kellogg, Wharton and Chicago, then you should also apply to at least HBS or Stanford.

Cheers. L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
HI there...one more for Fall 08
GMAT: 700
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Grad GPA: 3.81
Work Ex: 3 years at Matriculation . I am a biomedical researcher working at one of the top two hospitals in the US.
Other/Ex: Co-ordinate a US based charity organization in India, Elected member of regional district toastmasters and also have my own healthcare company back in India.
Target Schools:
MIT
Kellogg
U Chicago
Michigan
Columbia
NYU

Also....a special thanks to Ryhme who offered to put together stuff for 08ers.. Thanks man..you are too good!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
vij101 wrote:
HI there...one more for Fall 08
GMAT: 700
Undergrad GPA: 3.8
Grad GPA: 3.81
Work Ex: 3 years at Matriculation . I am a biomedical researcher working at one of the top two hospitals in the US.
Other/Ex: Co-ordinate a US based charity organization in India, Elected member of regional district toastmasters and also have my own healthcare company back in India.
Target Schools:
MIT
Kellogg
U Chicago
Michigan
Columbia
NYU

Also....a special thanks to Ryhme who offered to put together stuff for 08ers.. Thanks man..you are too good!

Heh... dont thank me yet :) I've been so busy with stuff I havent had time to put anything together....
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:

Heh... dont thank me yet :) I've been so busy with stuff I havent had time to put anything together....

I was just about to ask how I can get my grubby hands on it 8-).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I just took my GMAT yesterday, so I've graduated into this new thread!

28, Female, Asian American

GMAT: 710 (Q47, V41)

BA Sociology, 3.8 GPA
UC Berkeley

7 years experience in marketing
Last 4 years as marketing manager for international healthcare informatics company (but began this job as part of a start-up, so the acquisition process remains interesting)
1 direct report

Other: Active in local running community, training first timers to complete their first marathon, directing local races, and volunteering at the local races that I don't run myself. Currently training for my 2nd marathon. Travel extensively. Taught at-risk youth during college and was an editor for a student paper.

I want to strengthen my marketing and management skills but stay in the health care sector upon graduation (maybe move into biotech). So my top choices: Haas, Kellogg, Fuqua, Columbia, NYU. Thinking about Harvard...and Wharton has the program I want, but I can't imagine myself living in Philly. Any other schools I should consider?

Also, I only took one statistics and a research methodology course in college. I got a B in the statistics class...9 years ago. Should I take a quant course this summer to strengthen my application or does my GMAT score assuage any doubts from the AdCom? I was hoping to take swimming lessons instead so that I can eventually complete a triathalon.
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
venguyen wrote:
I was hoping to take swimming lessons instead so that I can eventually complete a triathalon.

Do this (i.e.: the swimming - triathlon thing) instead of the quant class. Then use it for essays, unless you have better material or the example isn't really useful for answering the question being asked.

L.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 98 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
I totally agree w/ Lepium, do the triathlon and write about it in essays or bring it up in interviews.

The benefit from taking that quant class would be miniscule compared to the triathlon.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks! That was exactly what I was hoping to hear :-D
At 28, its about time I learned to swim.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
editted

Originally posted by ab on 08 Jun 2007, 12:42.
Last edited by ab on 25 Oct 2007, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
ab,

Your profile seems quite impressive. But I hope people don't review it here (Answering your questions is a different thing). If this thread becomes a profile evaluation thread, then it'll lose the purpose for which it was started. I hope you understand.
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16