Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 05:43 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 05:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: FRM Charter holder
Own Kudos [?]: 411 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Stanford, Chicago Booth, Babson College
 Q48  V34 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V42
GPA: 3.53
Send PM
[#permalink]
Wow..these GMAT scores are just amazing :)

Indian Male :roll:

GMAT :

740(49 quant and 42 verbal).

Educational background:

Graduate level:

MBA

Was a topper in a state level entrance exam taken by under graduates and won award for excellence from state government for the performance in this exam. GPA during MBA was just average.

Undergraduate level:

Bachelor of Arts. GPA not great. But was in top 20 % of the class during undergraduation.

A in Calculus course from UC Berkely online. Doing next level course.

Work experience :

I have all my experience after doing MBA. 6 years by Fall 2008. This includes 6 months at a startup, 2 years with an NGO, 3 years 7 months at a top IT market research firm. Major part of my work comprises project management (includes QC, advising country teams and ensuring quality final deliverables in time), and to a certain extent research, and business development.

International experience :

Part of Asia/Pacific regional team that is based out of 3 countries. Some of my projects involve working with teams from 13 countries in Asia/Pacific region. All projects involve atleast 2 country teams. Interact with analysts and clients from these countries regularly.

Extracurriculars :

1. Good in school and college. Was a member of football team and captain of volley ball team.
2. Has been associated with my village high school for the last 4 years. I teach there during annual holidays and maintain good relationship with school teachers and students. I can say I am sort of motivating/inspiring students, when I am spending time with them.
3. Writing a policy document for an NGO (turned into a Political party recently) on vocational/technical education training in the country.
4. Have some of my articles published in a reasonably popular magazine in the country. The book for which I wrote content during my stint at NGO, is being used as a text book in a leading business school in the country. Nearly 3500 students go through this graduate level course every year.
5. Member of local Toastmasters club.

Target schools:

Schools that have strong IT or Technology bacground. So far decided about:

1. Carnegie Mellon
2. UC Berkely
3. MIT (most probably)

Might end up applying to a couple of top 20-25 range schools along with these.

Post MBA goals :

Mgt/Technology consulting in short term to pay off study loan and Social Entrepreneurship in long term.

Not sure of my chances.

Rhyme/Lepium, can you please comment?

Originally posted by aurobindo on 01 May 2007, 07:45.
Last edited by aurobindo on 20 Jul 2007, 04:44, edited 3 times in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
aurobindo wrote:
MBA

Was a topper in a state level entrance exam taken by under graduates and won award for excellence from state government for the performance in this exam. GPA during MBA was just average.

Rhyme/Lepium, can you please comment?

Why do you need a 2nd MBA? What happened to the 1st one?
I think that, together with a not that high GMAT and liberal arts undergraduate, may work against you (specially at MIT). Of course the essays execution will be crucial as well. Rhyme is the man to talk to about essays.

L.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Bschool HO! [#permalink]
First off -- Rhyme: superstar. I copy/pasted your guide into an email to myself.

Here's my rundown. Glad to enter the fray :D

Undergrad @ Colgate: 3.8
Philosophy, History [any other humanities/ss'ers out there?]
Extracurriculars: Solid
GMAT -- 760 (49/44)
Work Exp -- 1 yr internatl (Japan - teaching), 2 yrs underwriting (insurance), 8 mos founder web startup (launching soon!)

My main weakness is that my work experience is not particularly focused, it'll be tough to find amazing recommendations (likely just adequate).

Target schools - Stanford, Chicago, HSB, MIT, Columbia -- but I still need to do further research here.

-Cheyne
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi to all,

By way of introduction I am:

A Californian
Undergrad = English Lit
GPA = :oops: the last 30 units are ok
GMAT, 1st try in June, currently prepping,
Extras = College sports, board service in local arts org, tutoring/teaching
Work ex = 9 years FT (which means, yeah, I'm older than dirt)
Schools = working on the short list, will need help with this

So far the most important thing I can say is thanks. Some folks here could probably use the contributions they have made to the board as good examples of team work and community participation. I hope, as things move along, to be able to return some value to the community.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey, that sounds like me. English Lit major, California, low GPA, old. I had some pretty good luck this application season - made it into several top 15 programs so there is definitely hope. Work hard on the GMAT because they will cast a suspect glance at your math skills (as an English major) until you prove otherwise. Good luck.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
I browsed through the forum, and the one thing I have to say is thank god I'm not in the Indian applicant profile. You guys have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Originally posted by chillonamill on 02 May 2007, 13:23.
Last edited by chillonamill on 14 Jul 2007, 13:29, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
pelihu wrote:
Hey, that sounds like me. English Lit major, California, low GPA, old. I had some pretty good luck this application season - made it into several top 15 programs so there is definitely hope. Work hard on the GMAT because they will cast a suspect glance at your math skills (as an English major) until you prove otherwise. Good luck.

Thanks,
I will take that to heart. I'm afraid you are right about the math skills. My plan to take care of that is to concentrate on re-learning math rather than simply passing the test. I look forward to your report, as the Darden ambassador, on how a English majors can survive in a top school.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
[#permalink]
chillonamill wrote:
22 yr old African American
3.4 from GWU- trend is upwards with 3.1 freshman year and around 3.5-3.9 last two years
GMAT: 680 44/40/6.0awa
Experience: 2 years real estate PE, summer intern at BB IB, worked all throughout school for an asset management and a lobbying firm
Industry: Financial Services
Leadership: mentored freshmen my senior year, VP of business frat, led a financing and development transaction, potentially taking over as the alumni advisor to a local chapter of my frat
Community Service/Volunteering - lots of events that are consistant with my goal of 'being the change that I see in the world', including relay for life, speaking to at risk youth, and cleaning up the environment
Target schools: HBS, Stanford, U-Chicago, perhaps another school once I find one that is consisntant with what I want out of an MBA program
Post-MBA goal: Associate at I-bank (Goldman)

I browsed through the forum, and the one thing I have to say is thank god I'm not in the Indian applicant profile. You guys have your work cut out for you. Good luck.

Enjoy your 2 years at HBS.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
rhyme wrote:
chillonamill wrote:
22 yr old African American
3.4 from GWU- trend is upwards with 3.1 freshman year and around 3.5-3.9 last two years
GMAT: 680 44/40/6.0awa
Experience: 2 years real estate PE, summer intern at BB IB, worked all throughout school for an asset management and a lobbying firm
Industry: Financial Services
Leadership: mentored freshmen my senior year, VP of business frat, led a financing and development transaction, potentially taking over as the alumni advisor to a local chapter of my frat
Community Service/Volunteering - lots of events that are consistant with my goal of 'being the change that I see in the world', including relay for life, speaking to at risk youth, and cleaning up the environment
Target schools: HBS, Stanford, U-Chicago, perhaps another school once I find one that is consisntant with what I want out of an MBA program
Post-MBA goal: Associate at I-bank (Goldman)

Enjoy your 2 years at HBS.

The only thing certain is uncertainty. I'll believe it when I get an admit phone call. Until then, just going to continue to prepare for the app process and pushing forward with activities that I can speak passionately about in essays and in the interview. Also plan to stick around here and give my input here and there whenever I can contribute. Thank you for the encouraging comment though
Manager
Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
hey guys does anybody know if any among the top 15 schools releases the new applications/essays before late summer?
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
Lorenzino wrote:
hey guys does anybody know if any among the top 15 schools releases the new applications/essays before late summer?

The essay questions and length don't change very much from year to year so if you want to get going use last year's essays if only just for practice / as a draft for this year. If you want to make more than 2 or 3 schools in round 1 you need to get going ASAP.

L.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hey everybody:

26 year old Canadian male

GMAT : Writing early July

Work experience : 2.5 years software developer for well-known corporation

Education: Graduate Diploma in Business Administration (Simon Fraser University), Bachelor of Science in Computing Science (Simon Fraser University)

Extracurriculars : Occasional volunteering through work; photography club president in University; dragon boating; golf; skiing; jogging; hiking; camping

Post MBA goals : Product manager for software company

Target schools : Ivey, Schulich, Rotman
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
[#permalink]
Hi Guys,

26 year old Indian male

GMAT -

Work experience -
4 yrs IT in BFS (developer > analyst > Project Lead (India/Australia) > Leader for centre of excellence)

Education -
Bach. of Engg. in National Inst. of Technology, Nagpur, India

Extracurriculars -
Photography (featured photographer on a commercial photography site)
Trekking
Assisted in setting up local sub-chapter for a SPIC-MACAY (a national organization to promote Indian Classical Music)
Set up blood donation camps during under-graduate studies
Organized a robotics competitions for national level college tech festivals
Occasional work with leprosy patients

Post MBA goals -
Product Manager/Business Development Leader

Target schools -
Tuck (Stretch School), SBS, ISB
VP
VP
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy wrote:
Hi Guys,

26 year old Indian male

GMAT -

Work experience -
4 yrs IT in BFS (developer > analyst > Project Lead (India/Australia) > Leader for centre of excellence)

Education -
Bach. of Engg. in National Inst. of Technology, Nagpur, India

Extracurriculars -
Photography (featured photographer on a commercial photography site)
Trekking
Assisted in setting up local sub-chapter for a SPIC-MACAY (a national organization to promote Indian Classical Music)
Set up blood donation camps during under-graduate studies
Organized a robotics competitions for national level college tech festivals
Occasional work with leprosy patients

Post MBA goals -
Product Manager/Business Development Leader

Target schools -
Tuck (Stretch School), SBS, ISB

I may be wrong, because I don't really know that much about this process and how the demographic you are applying from may affect you. But I think your "package" would be reasonably competitive at some of the top schools. Seek more advice (from Paul and Hjort or others), but if I were you I would be applying to a few ultra - elites as well. The leadership/extracurricular portion is what should distinguish you from the rest of the IT pack, if you can communicate those achievements effectively.

And I would definitely not apply to ISB, but that's because I'm not Indian. :lol:

Cheers. L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
lepium wrote:
I may be wrong, because I don't really know that much about this process and how the demographic you are applying from may affect you. But I think your "package" would be reasonably competitive at some of the top schools. Seek more advice (from Paul and Hjort or others), but if I were you I would be applying to a few ultra - elites as well. The leadership/extracurricular portion is what should distinguish you from the rest of the IT pack, if you can communicate those achievements effectively.

And I would definitely not apply to ISB, but that's because I'm not Indian. :lol:

Cheers. L.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Now that you say it, I do wonder why (and when!) I dropped the ultra-elites/elites from my list. A couple of reasons come to mind -

1. Break-Even - Loan repayments + Covering up my own investment will take around 4-5 years! :shock:
2. The profile - Indian IT sector. Too many people, too little diversity, lots of ambition! => Lots of DINGS :roll:
3. The proof - Some of the XCs i've done haven't left any documented proof for me. I could probably hunt down the authorities and get something, but chances are low - I've been out of under-grad for more than 4 yrs now!
4. The philosophy - The indian admission process and the gmat admission process are two different animals! Of course this in itself should not prevent me from applying, but the mindset does have an effect on the apps...

About ISB, its coming up, and fast! It already boasts some of the highest paid MBA grads in India, and its value for money (imho). Plus its got exchange programmes with Wharton and some other schools... looks like a good package to me :)

Question is - Am I being over-cautious? :lol: I'll check with Paul and Hjort, as you suggest.

Thanks Again!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
[#permalink]
paddyboy -

where you apply is up to you, and as lepium said, others can give you a better sense of how your profile compares.

however, on the XC side: you don't need "proof." I don't have proof of anything I've done on the XC side. Some schools might ask for a contact name (Stanford does), but no one is going to ask you to get a notarized document that says, "I was there when johnny organized the school-wide keg-stand tournament, and to the best of my knowledge, he did indeed show leadership, teamwork, and introspection in so doing."
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
[#permalink]
aaudetat wrote:
on the XC side: you don't need "proof." I don't have proof of anything I've done on the XC side.

Hmm... well thats good news :lol: Thanks!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  16