Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 18:11 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 18:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
WE:Underwriter (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Finance; Investment banking
Schools:LBS
GPA: 3.17
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: 2012 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
Hi Ranjan!
Submitting a CV for review, I was encouraged to apply, however, as Peter mentioned, i might not have the depth and breadth of experience required for the program (I was forking for 5 years in the same company at the same, quite narrow, sphere of finance). In my case, what made me to the program was the essay (and a bit of diversity, i think ;)). When they speak about experience, they mean not actual years in service, but diversity of experience. If during these 4 years you were doing the same things, you might fall out of the class. As I see people around, everyone posess quite broad experience, everyone has something to share. You definitely do not lose anything from applying, clearly a lot would depend on how you present your case... I tried to stress range of things i have done and magnitude of my achievements, and it worked pretty well... Good luck!

Ranjan121 wrote:
Hi, everyone.
Congratulations!! to all who have made it to class of 2013. Reading through your interview experiences and application process was informative.
I am Piyush Ranjan and trying for 2013 admit will apply in R1 Oct 2012. I am writing this as when i submitted my CV for review i was asked to gain more financial experience and the standard reply that follows.
A brief about my profile:
B.Tech ( Mechanical) and MBA (Finance ) in 2009 from India.No undergraduate work experience.
Post MBA work experience as on May 1, 2012 ( approx 3 years) expected work experience before joining the course 4 years. I am working with a leading bank in its corporate banking division and carry out credit analysis/ assessment.
I have a CGPA of 3.17/4.
I am a certified FRM holder and a CFA Level 3 candidate June 2012.

Now Nalisha says if i differ from her opinion and can make a case i can submit my application for Aug 2013 intake. I need a few explanations from admit. How difficult is it to make it for an interview if you are not encouraged to apply.

Considering i should have a GMAT Score range of 730- 760 any chances. Any ideas from people who have made it to class with ard 4 years of work experience or how to compensate for my less than average work experience.

Awaiting guidance from the admitted & experienced MiF admits.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
wow, you have quite an impressive profile :) hope you hear from LBS soon!

QUEVEO wrote:
Hi all,

First of all, thanks and bravo for this very interesting thread.
I've applied to the MIF (WE format) on 7 April and am waiting for an answer...
Education: master in law,suspended PhD in law, professional degree in banking.
10 years work experience in retail and corporate banking. Branch manager (retail)for 6 years (last position: 2 branches, 16 employees, 190M€ in deposits and 170M€ in loans, 8500 clients). 1.5 years as a risk analyst for large and medium-sized businesses. Current job: risk analyst, banking sector.GMAT: 680
I was “strongly” encouraged to apply. Thanks in advance for any advice and feedback on my profile.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
WE:Investment Banking (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All,
I had my face-2-face interview today. My interviewer was 2011 Alumnus and works in private equity in India. He turned out to be an amazing guy who bagged four offers on the campus !
The interview started with the usual chit-chat but he asked me to ask a few questions first (A bit different from "tell me about yourself" routine). So I asked him a few ice-breaker questions about his experience at LBS etc. As the conversation progressed, he asked me the tough questions one by one. The toughest one was - Why MiF and Why do I want a career in PE/Investments ?
As I do not have any prior PE experience and also as my interviewer works in same field, he not only grilled me but also at the same time we discussed a lot about finance in general and also indian economy, PE in India etc.
My tips to others - from my interview experience is that -
1. Be prepared to talk about "why MiF/What do you want out of the MiF program and how can MiF help you move in your career ? Why MiF from LBS, why not MIT or Columbia etc ?
2. Be prepared to answer logically and so made up "boiler-plate" answers are not going to help. Impromptu answers will clinch the deal here. But be careful.
3. Read a lot about the career in finance you want to take up ! and also try to speak to as many industry contacts etc about your goals and motivations. Be prepared by reading economist, financial times etc and following news from Bloomberg, BBC, CNN etc.
4. Develop a knack of thinking like a "devil's advocate".
5. Lastly pay extra attention to details while logically presenting your arguments and also interpersonal skills play a very important role. Persuasion techniques will certainly help a great deal in these interview.

Hope this write-up helps.

I am keeping my fingers crossed now. My interviewer told me that he expects to send his feedback by end of this week, so I believe - i have to wait till next week thursday for the final result !

And Best of luck to others who are still in the race.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools: LBS '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V41
Send PM
mano46 wrote:
rwkTX wrote:
mano46 wrote:
Hi all, A long time lurker and first time poster. I have been admitted to MiF programme as well. Now looking for a way to finance it. :P Hope to seeyou allif I make it to London this August. Cheers
Congratulations, Mano! I am sending in my confirmation of acceptance along with my commitment fee today. From where in Sri Lankaareyou? One of my good friends in the US is Sinhalese and I have been to Colombo, Kandy, Dambulla, and Bentota (where I experienced the 2004 tsunami :( ) on a visit for her wedding. rk

I am from Colombo, though I have been working in Japan for a while now. :P
You seem to have travelled around in Sri Lanka, though I am sorry to hear that you had to experience the 2004 tsunami.
I am yet to receive my information package from LBS. Lot of decisions to make after that.
Have you decided or started looking for accomodation in London?

cheers

Where in Japan? I have only been to Tokyo for a short trip but hope to visit again someday. They had quite the tsunami tragedy as well :(

I sent my confirmation to LBS a few days ago. I have started looking at some housing options but am trying to stay focused on my CFA exam preparation until the test on 02 June. The housing search is very difficult, especially from far away. If you're used to the small, expensive housing in Japan though, moving to London should be no problem :-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.51
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Kudos
hi,

just had the personal interview today. The guy was a 2009 alumnus and asked me to meet at his office after work. He was really friendly and easy going all the time and I got the same standard questions the others mentioned before like "Tell me about yourself and the main points of your career", "Why LBS?", "Why MiF?", "What's your goal with the programme?", "Which modules/concentration would you select?".
I asked a couple of questions myself, so eventually the whole thing turned into a pleasant late evening chit-chat.
It took ca. 1.5hours and enjoyed it a lot. so I am looking forward the final decision which must be due next week..

fingers crossed for all who are still in the middle of selection process

regards,

Csaba
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (A)
Send PM
Thank you Laman, i jus received THE email: i'm in! See you in London maybe.

wow, you have quite an impressive profile hope you hear from LBS soon!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi,

Any current employer offered to sponsor the tuition fee...??

Given the challenging job scenario, it may be a good option...slightly confused :?: I welcome some thoughts on this..

Tx
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Just got accepted today. Very excited about this course.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q44 V38
Send PM
Hi, everyone, I received the email, the good news.
I am so happy and excited.
I found this thread really helpful. At every stage, when feel fretted, this was the place to ease my anxiety and bring me source of information and advice. Good to meet u all here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I work for BP and in different regions they were sponsoring some LBS students. I haven't tried it yet, as in my country it have never ever been done and I guess they will be quite reluctant to create a precedent. However, the good thing I know right now - LBS is very supportive in creating a business case for sponsorship. I was contacted by their representative offering help. They offered to provide statistics, etc. all sort of stuff which might be extremely helpful in building a business case...

MiF2013 wrote:
Hi,

Any current employer offered to sponsor the tuition fee...??

Given the challenging job scenario, it may be a good option...slightly confused :?: I welcome some thoughts on this..

Tx
Manager
Manager
Send PM
This topic made my day today :) I was so glad to see that all people we had fingers crossed for this week were accepter. Congratulations, dheeraj, daphne2012 and queveo! Hope to see you all in London this summer :)) any thoughts re accepting the offers?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
looks like you had a very good interview! fingers crossed for you for the next week :) just a little bit more to wait!

tschabee85 wrote:
hi,

just had the personal interview today. The guy was a 2009 alumnus and asked me to meet at his office after work. He was really friendly and easy going all the time and I got the same standard questions the others mentioned before like "Tell me about yourself and the main points of your career", "Why LBS?", "Why MiF?", "What's your goal with the programme?", "Which modules/concentration would you select?".
I asked a couple of questions myself, so eventually the whole thing turned into a pleasant late evening chit-chat.
It took ca. 1.5hours and enjoyed it a lot. so I am looking forward the final decision which must be due next week..

fingers crossed for all who are still in the middle of selection process

regards,

Csaba
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Kudos
A big hellos to all!

Ive been a observer of this group but never a participant, Kudos to all successful applicants ...

My background:
6 years WE out of which 4 into Real Estate Private Equity (investments team) and a year managing my own practice in IB
BE/MBA from India
700 Gmat
applied to LBS MiF in R4 and just completed my interview today!!

It was with a Lady Alumni from the 2008 batch working in India with an investment organization.

The overall focus was to determine whether i would be a good fit for the MiF and general questions like who are you? what do you do? why MiF? Why LBS ? other courses applied to? how will you fund your studies? what are your short term plans (post MiF)and what if they dont materilaize ? what do you bring to the table?

I believe the endeavour at the end of the interviewer is to get a sense of the direction you are headed and how does MiF fit into the scheme of things and how do you fit into the MiF. they dig deep into your role in current org., academic performance as well as your bent of mind.

I had a few questions on the MiF and would recommend all aspirants to go through the program details and have in mind the path they would choose in terms of specialization etc...

It was a good 1 hour chat and towards the end she shared her experience at the school.

Hope to get a call soon!

Cheers,

RK
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
laman wrote:
This topic made my day today :) I was so glad to see that all people we had fingers crossed for this week were accepter. Congratulations, dheeraj, daphne2012 and queveo! Hope to see you all in London this summer :)) any thoughts re accepting the offers?

Hi Laman,

i remember that youve been compiling the stats for the MiF.

Could you please share the latest numbers.

thanks

RK
Intern
Intern
Schools: LBS '14 (I)
Send PM
My interview lasted only 35 min.
Is that a good sign or bad
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Really depends on the quality of the interaction!!

Duration shouldn't be such a decisive factor.

At the end of the day its the comfort level between you and the interviewer and also the quality of interaction that should matter.

My sense - all prospects called for interview qualify certain criteria - what remains to be seen is

Fitment -are you and the course right for each other?

Future plans - what are your expectations from this course and are they rational

Contribution- will you be an active participant who has something of value to contribute to the batch

Track record - apart from academics what sort of performance have you had on job/ in business etc

Team spirit - an essential quality sought in the candidate

Mostly the interview is an attempt to verify that what you have written in your CV / essays is factual and in line with what your saying.

It really helps to go through your CV and essays / transcripts etc to be able to speak the same language as written in them and to be able to defend yourself against any shortcomings if at all ( eg lower marks etc)

Your knowledge about finance related to your field of work and you awareness about wots happening in the world / home country from a macro view also has a bearing.

IMO if your able to satisfy above points in the interview you should stand a good chance.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
RKMiF wrote:
Hi Laman,

i remember that youve been compiling the stats for the MiF.

Could you please share the latest numbers.

thanks

RK

Here we go:

Current admits: 116 (~100 of them have already paid their commitment fees)
Admits from India: 18
Admits from China: 14
Females: 27

Let me know if you want to check any other country :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts