Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 19:47 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 19:47

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools: LBS MIF '14
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V37
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Asset Management (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Re: 2013 LBS MiF Applicants welcome! [#permalink]
BingoBongo wrote:
hey y'all

I sent my resume for a review a while ago and got "strongly encouraged to apply". So, I'm in for the R2 ;)

By the way, how often do they say "strongly encouraged" vs. "encouraged" and does it really mean anything?

I got the same reply. I don't think it means anything...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:
Hi laman and rwkTX,

How often does the adcom send out interview invite? Is it on rolling basis as they review the application? Or do they send all invites out on the "interview decision by" date?

Best,

I don't think they start processing the applications before the R1 deadline... You should expect one roughly 3 weeks after the each deadline.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi All,

Good luck to everyone with his /her application! 2013 R1 closes tonight!
Just a general question that occurred to me: LBS advertises its MiF program as the #1 in the world. Of course, the FT ranks only 4 MiF programs so it is not a big deal in itself. My question is: Why the FT ranks only four MiF courses? Where is Cambridge MiF? Or IE Advanced MiF? These are also post-experience MiFs...
Another question to the present students: what is going on with the 2013 tuition fees? How come they will be announced early 2013? What is this? We are expected to apply to a program one year in advance where they can't even figure out how much to charge us??
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.4
WE:Securities Sales and Trading (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
will be applying :) was going to aim for round 2 but with some other american deadlines for schools (consortium) and the $20k down payment needed 2 months after i may wait until round 3? is it highly preferred to get in round 1/2? i saw they want internationals needing a visa to get in by round 3 :)

any scholarship consideration to those in round 3/4/5 or is it all equal chance (or maybe for the first three). thanks!

and i want a scholly wooooooo lol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Update on my part. Submitted for R1, so instead of worrying myself sick about essay/recommendation etc. I'm now worried sick about whether I will get the interview invite :|

Also, the deadline is set at 13:00 UK time not at midnight, something that caused me a brief spell of panic when I found out as I had assumed the latter. Luckily I live quite east of the Greenwich line so have several hours buffer and made it in time. But who knows, I guess LBS could be lenient considering the international candidate pool and different time zones we are all based in.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Lol I'm sure you'll be fine best o luck :) anyone going to the LBS event in DC today?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Schools: LBS '14 (M$)
GMAT 1: 660 Q46 V35
GMAT 2: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
lbkova wrote:
sunnyk wrote:
Hi laman and rwkTX,

How often does the adcom send out interview invite? Is it on rolling basis as they review the application? Or do they send all invites out on the "interview decision by" date?

Best,

I don't think they start processing the applications before the R1 deadline... You should expect one roughly 3 weeks after the each deadline.

In fact it depends. I got my interview invite in 3 weeks after application (and a week before the round closure deadline!) and met some people who got interview invite in a week. There is no way you can gauge it :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:
Update on my part. Submitted for R1, so instead of worrying myself sick about essay/recommendation etc. I'm now worried sick about whether I will get the interview invite :|

Also, the deadline is set at 13:00 UK time not at midnight, something that caused me a brief spell of panic when I found out as I had assumed the latter. Luckily I live quite east of the Greenwich line so have several hours buffer and made it in time. But who knows, I guess LBS could be lenient considering the international candidate pool and different time zones we are all based in.

wow, we have the early bird here :) fingers crossed for you! Would you mind sharing your profile?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
will be applying :) was going to aim for round 2 but with some other american deadlines for schools (consortium) and the $20k down payment needed 2 months after i may wait until round 3? is it highly preferred to get in round 1/2? i saw they want internationals needing a visa to get in by round 3 :)

any scholarship consideration to those in round 3/4/5 or is it all equal chance (or maybe for the first three). thanks!

and i want a scholly wooooooo lol

for scholarship all rounds are equal except 5. Deadlines for scholarship applications are in early June-July, so whoever got admitted by that time and paid his/her reservation fee is eligible to apply. So this should not drive your decision re which round to apply in.

It might be better to apply earlier if you expect higher competition in your area. AdCom aims to keep the class fairly diverse - you might end up being a perfect candidate but if there are too many people with similar type of experience/academics/geography/whatsoever you might not get it. Something to take into consideration...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lbkova wrote:
Hi All,

Good luck to everyone with his /her application! 2013 R1 closes tonight!
Just a general question that occurred to me: LBS advertises its MiF program as the #1 in the world. Of course, the FT ranks only 4 MiF programs so it is not a big deal in itself. My question is: Why the FT ranks only four MiF courses? Where is Cambridge MiF? Or IE Advanced MiF? These are also post-experience MiFs...
Another question to the present students: what is going on with the 2013 tuition fees? How come they will be announced early 2013? What is this? We are expected to apply to a program one year in advance where they can't even figure out how much to charge us??

I had the same question about FT. There is a separate chart for pre-experience programs. Vast majority of Masters in Finance types of programs have average work exprerience of the student body of 2-5 years, when programs quoted as post-experience have >5 years of experience. This explains only few schools in the post-experience ranking table, the rest go to pre-experience table (details can be found here:https://media.ft.com/cms/a7ed3fa6-b677-11e1-8ad0-00144feabdc0.pdf

Regarding tuition fee, we had the same thing. Actual tuition fee was announced some time in Jan-Feb 2012. Observing LBS tuition fees for a while, I didn't see them changing dramaticly, they rise a bit (as everything) but not really significant so current tuition fee of 33950gbp is quite a fair approximation (I guess) of what you should expect it to cost like.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
hmm you find out if you have a scholarship only around june right before youre about to start the program? doesnt that make it difficult to decide between schools? lol
Intern
Intern
Send PM
shorttheworld wrote:
hmm you find out if you have a scholarship only around june right before youre about to start the program? doesnt that make it difficult to decide between schools? lol

Yeah, of course, it does! In addition, I don't think you'll find out earlier whether you get the HSBC loan. This doesn't help either...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
lbkova wrote:
shorttheworld wrote:

Yeah, of course, it does! In addition, I don't think you'll find out earlier whether you get the HSBC loan. This doesn't help either...

This is true. I applied for my scholarship on June 4 and got it on July 3. Logic behind it is that the school wants to see the pool of scholarship candidates first rather than distributing all scholarships early and then having someone bright deprived of this opportunity just because he/she applied in later rounds. However as we heard there might be some changes to this approach, though nothing official yet.

Regarding HSBC - PLEASE DO NOT RELY ON IT AS SOURCE OF FUNDING. As it was communicated by school, scheme orepates only for the current class and there is nothing known for 2013 intake. They are working on it, but it is too dangerous to make any assumptions now. Especially if you are not US/EU national.

As non US/EU national I was requested to open an account with HSBC Baker Str. first (of course, I could do so only after arriving to London). It took 3 weeks to open account with them, then I could apply for the loan and was rejected (i applied for living expenses). It was in the middle of September and you can imagine hpw it feels. I wouldn't advise anyone to go through this experience, so you better plan your funding now... I know, it doesn't sound encouraging but this is what it is.

However I need to admit that HSBC experience was much less painful for US/EU people.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
laman wrote:
sunnyk wrote:

wow, we have the early bird here :) fingers crossed for you! Would you mind sharing your profile?

Sure. Female/29/SE Asia. GMAT 730 with WE ~ 5 years in buy-side investment research (investment analyst). Study abroad for my BA (school in USA).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Checked my e-mail and I'm invited! :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HI all

Update from my part.

Submitted for R2 (part-time) and now anxious about the progress...grrr...im yet to sit my GMAT exam, which in itself is a huge pain!

But of course, wish everyon the best of luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sunnyk wrote:
Checked my e-mail and I'm invited! :-D

oh wow!!! Congratulations!

Please please update after you've done your interview etc so we know what;s going on!

How long did it take between your submittion and invitation for interview?

Im VERY nervours now...i submitted for R2 last Friday...
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11   12   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts