Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 22:07 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 22:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 580 ( Q 47, V 24) [#permalink]
Expert Reply
You have a solid math score - that's a great starting step to build upon. You only need to really beef up verbal.

Your verbal is very low - just my frank and honest view of it. It really depends on how serious you are. If you want 5 point improvement, the SC and CR books should do it. If you want a 10-15 point improvement - you really need to dive into it - that means getting a second job as a GMAT maniac.

My suggestion would be to schedule your next test in 2-2.5 months (if you are able to spend 2 hours on weekdays and 4+ on weekends) and work towards that goal. This will allow you to beef up your verbal, still remember math, and also not go crazy. Again, this is only if you are really serious about improving verbal, here are some tips - they are not cheesy tricks - just hard work and books - that's how all of us got 700's

1. Get a GOOD TOEFL or other grammar book. I recommend CLIFF's TOEFL - but there are many many others.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076458 ... 0764586092
It has a very comprehensive grammar section - will probably take you 4-6 weeks to go through that

2. Read books - it is not easy to start but if you are scoring 24 on Verbal - you need as much help as you can get. If you want to improve your verbal skills - you must do something about it and even though reading books is not a one or two day improvement path - I can almost guarantee after reading some of the GMAT Fiction (4+ books) you will start seeing improvement in all verbal questions. I can't emphasize this enough. If you are going to read one book - don't bother with this. Make sure you cover 1-2K pages.

3. Get specialized Manhattan SC book or Powerscore SC books

4. Get the Powerscore CR or Manhattan CR if you have not gotten them yet

Make sure you also invest your best time into it - don't study Grammar at 10 PM after dinner - your mind is blank and worthless. It is only good if you want to put a check-mark; won't do any good to the score - get up early before work and study then. When you come back home at night - use that time to read book.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 83 [0]
Send PM
Thanks Everybody for suggestion. I am not sure whether I be able to devote dedicated time in near future because of some personal reasons. In the mean time, I am thinking to go through various links on this forum that provide guidance on various aspects of GMAT, and then start prep once again.

BB- Special thanks to you for providing candid opinion. I have yet not started working on your suggestion, but I hope soon I be in right state of mind to take the stride.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi,
I'm also planning to give GMAt and thus preparing for the same...well though u have given an ample amt of time..it dependa that how u prepared and qualoity of time u gave.
I started with sample tests to know my weak areas.This site helped me a lot with various links and info on book since am not taking any coaching. i was really bad at verbal though my quants is good....
I bought Mock tests From www.gmatcoaching.com , for practice and time management, and their verbal and quants is good.....got hold of OG11( a must)....through these practice tests i am improving in time management and verbal...i hope i do well and hope u too..all the best.
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72888 [0]
Given Kudos: 18869
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
You should try GMAT Club Tests if you are looking for 700+ math practice.
You get 2 for free as a member of GMAT Club or all if you have more than 200 posts.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
find a buddy in your local area who is also serious about GMAT.. It builds competetion(keep it healthy) and inspiration..

Many ppl will argue over it but I guarantee you that it works..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37311 posts