It is currently 20 Sep 2017, 00:45

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

580 ( Q 47, V 24)

new topic post reply Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:

Hide Tags

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 25 [0], given: 0

GMAT ToolKit User
580 ( Q 47, V 24) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2009, 06:24
Hi,

I took my GMAT on 18th may, and was in doubt whether to post such a low score. I have been working on and off for last 4 months. I was quite weak on SC when I started and it took me good amount of time to get good conceptual understanding on SC and CR. I finished OG, and took some test from Kaplan.

I month before the real Gmat, I took Gmat prep and scored 630. After that because of some reasons I could not study and could not gather the courage to take GmatPrep test again to assess my status. I had hidden feeling that if I get low score, I will be demotivated and even not brush up the concepts.

I could not complete any section with in time, and the reason is that I did not take many time bound test during preparation. In quant I had to guess almost 8-9 question without spending a minute. In verbal it became bad to worse - I had to guess 15 questions........

I was disaapointed, but felt +ve because this was one of the few exams where I could maintain my calm. I could not keep this calm in all the tests that I took during Gmat preparition. This one failed test has given me the hope that I can control my temprament during exams. Now,I would like to give one more try with this +ve attitude. I could not spend much time on this forum - I am full time working and there was lot to cover before I could contribute.

I did not find Math section very difficult; however, there were 2-3 problems which I could not understand. Because of lack of practise, I could not do justice with time.

I have gone through various links available on this forum, and I think I can utilise them very well to imporve my quant score further, but I desperately need advice on Verbal.

1. SC
Manhattan- I am not sure whether I have latest copy, but I will buy one
2. CR
PowerPrep- As per the forum this is the best one
3. RC
I guess I need to practise quite a lot on this case. I am bit apprehensive about it. I want to start from less difficult to more difficult.

This time I would like to practise, practise and practise. I do not want to OG to start with as I remember the content of OG. But I worked only on OG11. Please mention all the test that I should take and also in order of difficulty.

Looking forward to receive some suggestions that will help to take this journey further to reach to destination.

Kaplan GMAT Prep Discount Codese-GMAT Discount CodesVeritas Prep GMAT Discount Codes
Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 5

Re: 580 ( Q 47, V 24) [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2009, 09:16
Hi,

Although I am also struggling here with the preparation, yet I have been actively involved in this forum and have taken some inspirations from some of the posts.

My SC was bad, so I did OG11 and kep log of my errors. You can go through MGMAT Sc guide as it has some quick brush ups without going into much detail like most grammar books. This saves time and helps you focus on imp aspects.

I would go through the posts posted by bb (Books to Read) which is helpful and I am starting that too since I need to improve my RC skills.

Quantitative- I like the MGMAT tests although havent taken any Power Preps yet. The questions have the dificulty level and provide explanations. At the end, if you still cannot understand the question, you can alwys post it on this site and the participants are active enough to give alternate explanations which helps in your way of thinking.

Lastly, do time your questions, since once you cross the time barrier, it makes it easier to focus on other areas like the difficulty levels etc. So, even if you get a few wrong ones and have to guess a few, try to do the test in time which saves on the penalty of not completing the test.

All the best for your preps.....

Kudos [?]: 111 [0], given: 5

Manager
Manager

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2009, 09:34
No Worries.... this time practice hard and beat this exam...
For time management, I would say give as many CATs as you can. Based on my experience what I have learned is that only concepts never matter, its the application of those concepts under stress takes your score higher.
For the preparation material and strategies, there is tons of advice on these forums. Read thru them

Kudos [?]: 2 [0], given: 3

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

Kudos [?]: 27901 [0], given: 5047

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 21 May 2009, 10:03
You have a solid math score - that's a great starting step to build upon. You only need to really beef up verbal.

Your verbal is very low - just my frank and honest view of it. It really depends on how serious you are. If you want 5 point improvement, the SC and CR books should do it. If you want a 10-15 point improvement - you really need to dive into it - that means getting a second job as a GMAT maniac.

My suggestion would be to schedule your next test in 2-2.5 months (if you are able to spend 2 hours on weekdays and 4+ on weekends) and work towards that goal. This will allow you to beef up your verbal, still remember math, and also not go crazy. Again, this is only if you are really serious about improving verbal, here are some tips - they are not cheesy tricks - just hard work and books - that's how all of us got 700's

1. Get a GOOD TOEFL or other grammar book. I recommend CLIFF's TOEFL - but there are many many others.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/076458 ... 0764586092
It has a very comprehensive grammar section - will probably take you 4-6 weeks to go through that

2. Read books - it is not easy to start but if you are scoring 24 on Verbal - you need as much help as you can get. If you want to improve your verbal skills - you must do something about it and even though reading books is not a one or two day improvement path - I can almost guarantee after reading some of the GMAT Fiction (4+ books) you will start seeing improvement in all verbal questions. I can't emphasize this enough. If you are going to read one book - don't bother with this. Make sure you cover 1-2K pages.

3. Get specialized Manhattan SC book or Powerscore SC books

4. Get the Powerscore CR or Manhattan CR if you have not gotten them yet

Make sure you also invest your best time into it - don't study Grammar at 10 PM after dinner - your mind is blank and worthless. It is only good if you want to put a check-mark; won't do any good to the score - get up early before work and study then. When you come back home at night - use that time to read book.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Manager
Manager

GMAT ToolKit User

Show Tags

New post 28 May 2009, 03:41
Thanks Everybody for suggestion. I am not sure whether I be able to devote dedicated time in near future because of some personal reasons. In the mean time, I am thinking to go through various links on this forum that provide guidance on various aspects of GMAT, and then start prep once again.

BB- Special thanks to you for providing candid opinion. I have yet not started working on your suggestion, but I hope soon I be in right state of mind to take the stride.

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 29 May 2009, 04:08
Hi,
I'm also planning to give GMAt and thus preparing for the same...well though u have given an ample amt of time..it dependa that how u prepared and qualoity of time u gave.
I started with sample tests to know my weak areas.This site helped me a lot with various links and info on book since am not taking any coaching. i was really bad at verbal though my quants is good....
I bought Mock tests From www.gmatcoaching.com , for practice and time management, and their verbal and quants is good.....got hold of OG11( a must)....through these practice tests i am improving in time management and verbal...i hope i do well and hope u too..all the best.

Kudos [?]: [0], given: 0

Expert Post
Founder
Founder
P

GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GMAT ToolKit User Premium Member CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2009, 19:41
You should try GMAT Club Tests if you are looking for 700+ math practice.
You get 2 for free as a member of GMAT Club or all if you have more than 200 posts.

Founder of GMAT Club

GMAT Club's Special offer for Student Loans only through Aug 31 - New!
Just starting out with GMAT? Start here... or use our Daily Study Plan

Co-author of the GMAT Club tests

Intern
Intern

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Show Tags

New post 30 May 2009, 21:48
find a buddy in your local area who is also serious about GMAT.. It builds competetion(keep it healthy) and inspiration..

Many ppl will argue over it but I guarantee you that it works..

Kudos [?]: 1 [0], given: 0

Re: 580 ( Q 47, V 24)   [#permalink] 30 May 2009, 21:48