Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 17:21 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 17:21

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Given Kudos: 310
GMAT 1: 610 Q47 V27
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Supply Chain Management (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: EMPOWERgmat
Own Kudos [?]: 11669 [0]
Given Kudos: 450
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V49
GRE 1: Q170 V170
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Re: 620 (Q49, V26) W/ESR: How to get 680+ on Test Day [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi Kurai,

The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. To that end, you should work on the OG Verbal questions after you've learned the proper Tactics. Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study routine end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so I tend to advise against that type of approach when studying for the Verbal section.

Thankfully, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving, so you can proceed as you like. I do believe that, with the proper materials and Study Plan, you could retest in 1-2 months and hit your score goals.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kurai,

The OG books are great sources for practice questions, but they're not designed to teach you Tactics, patterns or the little 'secrets' behind the GMAT - for those, you'll need Course-oriented materials. To that end, you should work on the OG Verbal questions after you've learned the proper Tactics. Many Test Takers who use a 'book heavy' study routine end up getting 'stuck' at a particular score level, so I tend to advise against that type of approach when studying for the Verbal section.

Thankfully, you have plenty of time to continue studying and improving, so you can proceed as you like. I do believe that, with the proper materials and Study Plan, you could retest in 1-2 months and hit your score goals.

Rich

Hello Rich,

Thank you for the advice.
I agree that book heavy study routines are not the best way to approach improvement on the GMAT.
I actually just got my hands on the OG Verbal book which I will dig into after I go through the Verbal section of OG 2016. I have also purchased the MGMAT Foundation of Verbal and MGMAT SC books that I listed earlier.

After going through all 4 books, I may decide to enroll in a short online course again before I retake my GMAT.
My plan is to re-take my GMAT again early December. If I do not hit my goal again, I will try again before the year end.

Because I have purchased the MGMAT books, I should have access to their 6 practice exams. With these exams as well as my GMAT Prep exams I still have access to, do you advise on me taking my mock exams on the GMAT Prep exams as retakes or taking the MGMAT exams instead?

Thank for your help!
Kurai
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi Kurai,

You've listed a number of book resources that you plan to use during your continuing Verbal studies, but you're likely going to need NON-book materials if your goal is to score at a much higher level in the Verbal section. As far as taking CATs are concerned, if your goal is to receive a realistic experience and score result, then retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a good idea. Given a choice between retaking one of the GMAC CATs or taking a new MGMAT CAT, then I would suggest that you take the new CAT.

Rich
Manager
Manager
Send PM
EMPOWERgmatRichC wrote:
Hi Kurai,

You've listed a number of book resources that you plan to use during your continuing Verbal studies, but you're likely going to need NON-book materials if your goal is to score at a much higher level in the Verbal section. As far as taking CATs are concerned, if your goal is to receive a realistic experience and score result, then retaking a CAT that you've already taken is NOT a good idea. Given a choice between retaking one of the GMAC CATs or taking a new MGMAT CAT, then I would suggest that you take the new CAT.

Rich

Hello Rich,

My understanding was that it is best to have a balanced study routine between books (OG, MGMAT, etc) and online material/courses (E-GMAT, MathRevolution, your online material offering). My first 3 month of studying was heavily online consisting of some of the ones I have listed as well as GMAT Prep, GMATPrep Question pack, etc so I was going to give some of the books a try to see if I can cover more basis that way. I have also heard many people speak highly of the MGMAT books.

As for the GMAT CATs, I thank you for your insight. I have read that if I reset the GMAT Prep exams, I may only see a few questions which of course will affect my score, but might still be great practice. I guess the conclusion is use MGMAT CATs for realistic scores and GMAT Prep for practice.

Thank you,
Kurai
GMAT Club Bot