Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 18:52 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 18:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [19]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [3]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [1]
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 974 [0]
Given Kudos: 264
GMAT 1: 620 Q49 V24
Send PM
Re: 640, 640, 710, 740 - For those weak in Quant [#permalink]
Thanx for posting this valuable debrief. V45 in your third attempt was a major jump so how differently you did in verbal for that?

Aximili85 wrote:
PS - I didn't have enough time for the last 2 IR questions of IR, big mistake will drop my score big time, but whatever.

I guessed on last three question in IR and guess what still escaped with 7 on IR. So don't worry at all about that. Moreover, It won't count for initial couple of years.
Best of luck for Applications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 596 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Send PM
Cool ..nice score indian met..!.. excellent..

the same question that rajveer has asked?? tell me somthing about verbal?? i m realy bad at verbal..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 151
Send PM
Hey congrats,thats a great score!! ur perseverance finally paid off :-)
What kind of questions did u encounter during the exam,especially in quant.Which topics u feel one should stress more on in quant?
Do u think the level of difficulty for both verbal/quant was the same as that of gmatprep exam?

Thanks,
Shreeraj
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 89 [0]
Given Kudos: 26
 Q46  V34
WE 1: 4 yr IT
Send PM
hi Aximili85, i really wish i had your verbal score. i am ok with rc, but cr and sc leave me shaken, especially the new sc which focus on meaning(since you wrote it recently u might know what i am talking about). i didn't get to apply all the rules i learned doing mgmat sc and was taken aback, but held my nerve to score a 38 on the real thing. can you help me by providing a few pointers to improve my score from high 30s to low 40s. as i understand verbal is the key to a good score.
i would like to know what books you used for cr and sc(i use powerscore for cr and mgmat for sc)
i usually make 1 mistake in rc , 3-4 in cr and sc. how can i minimize these errors.
which is the best prep material.
please help
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Congrats, now you can finally get to enjoy CR! Question though...how did you find the IR to be on the real test? Manhattan CATs seem extremely tough to finish on time. How did you quant scores compare across GMAT Prep and Manhattan vs the real thing?

Where will you be applying?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
Congrats, now you can finally get to enjoy CR! Question though...how did you find the IR to be on the real test? Manhattan CATs seem extremely tough to finish on time. How did you quant scores compare across GMAT Prep and Manhattan vs the real thing?

Where will you be applying?

Hey Roy, I found IR to be a tad-bit easier than the GMACPrep CD questions, and a lot easier than MGMAT of course. MGMAT IR is great for 3 things i feel:
*Getting you to increase your speed and make rounded off approximations (real IR tested that to the core)
*Noticing nuances like whether the data is in % or raw numbers (for the "Can you infer the following data based on this table" questions that makes all the diff), *finally I personally could not complete all questions on IR based on the limited practice I did, so I knew on D day I needed to crack about 7 questions out of 12 properly and guess on the rest (this startegy was getting me 6+ on GMACPrep) - MGMAT helped me identify the question types I should spend more time on and the ones I should take quick guesses on; that said, I still didn't finish it on D-day! Probably coz I only wrote like 3 IR sections total.

I'm applying to most of your schools: Wharton/Kellogg/Haas/INSEAD/Duke/Ross, and I might now consider some of the Finance schools Booth/Sloan. All of these will be a challenge of course due to my multiple GMAT's and poor Quant. Also, Wharton is about as Finance-school as it gets, but they have the best dual MBA/healthcare degree so I can position myself as a fit based on that, due to my background.

I've currently got admission this year to two Indian/Asian schools - ISB/NUS, deferred both to 2013.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
i didn't mean to imply the real GMAT IR wasn't challenging, it certainly was, but MGMAT is just deliberately tougher as always..

Originally posted by Aximili85 on 06 Sep 2012, 09:46.
Last edited by Aximili85 on 06 Sep 2012, 19:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
one more afterthought, don't expect test center conditions to be ideal. Be mentally prepared for noise. Example, Gurgaon center (outside Delhi) had loud clackety keyboards and no ear plugs just giant head phones. New Delhi center was much better. Costa Rican center was a nightmare, its located in a University, they give you individual rooms which you think would be better, except your room is sandwiched between two University classrooms and the kids come out and make a ton of noise RIGHT outside your door, no ear plugs ut big headphones which arent that effective. Construction workers started hammering on something outside my door in Verbal. I had to raise my hand, call the admin person who sits very far away and ask her to tell them to shut up twice, lost a good 3 minutes in both Quant and Verbal each.

Just FYI, do practice tests under less than ideal conditions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not sure I follow your Quant timing strategy. Looks like you spend 2min per q. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is this different than the standard approach? Also how many did you guess/burn to keep on time?

11th Q - 55 min (focus on first 11)
21st Q - 35 m
31st Q - 15 m
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
Not sure I follow your Quant timing strategy. Looks like you spend 2min per q. Maybe I'm missing something, but how is this different than the standard approach? Also how many did you guess/burn to keep on time?

Timing strategy:
So yes you're right, its basically a straightforward breakdown. The alternative is that you set a mid-point (37 min mark, I should have reached at least Q18). That will force you to reassess the time left bsaed on number of questions left very frequently (waste of time in itself). What the 3 "checkpoints" it did for me was to set milestones, I tend to get particularly stuck on question 1-4, 8-13, 21-28 and then mess up my time towards the end which forces me to make too many random guesses. Does that make sense?

Guessing: You know i used to read other success stories and I could never apply this properly in Quant last year. Frequent practice of all question types just gets you to a point where you can tell that another min will also probably not get you an answer, so you ditch it and guess. Keep in mind my mental math and intuitive quant are both weak.

How do you guess? One useful tool, check LCM/HCF's of the last digit, often the answer contains a last digit which is an lcm/HCF of numbers i nthe question, sound vague? Keep your eyes open for this and you'll see what i mean. That alone cuts it down to 2 options often, there are many such tricks, if its a weight average/combined % problem/average rates, then the answer is intuitively closer to the higher weighted/lower rate etc. Bunuel's crystal-clear answers incorporate these tricks in his explanations, I followed his answers and sort of start seeing a pattern in his short-cut logic. Do subscribe and follow, I can't stress that enough!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Good tips, I really need to be more rigid when it comes to time management on Q. I hate getting 80% through a question then having to guess. I'm stuck around Q46-47 and would like to get 49+. I also find my self rushing towards the end, guessing randomly on the last few. DS questions are notorious for eating up time, and I let myself fall into the traps. On my last test, I was angry to see that I made stupid mistakes on 3 questions, where I clearly knew what I was doing and chose the wrong answer.

Any idea on how many you were able to guess/get wrong at the level you were at to maintain 48/49.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
Good tips, I really need to be more rigid when it comes to time management on Q. I hate getting 80% through a question then having to guess. I'm stuck around Q46-47 and would like to get 49+. I also find my self rushing towards the end, guessing randomly on the last few. DS questions are notorious for eating up time, and I let myself fall into the traps. On my last test, I was angry to see that I made stupid mistakes on 3 questions, where I clearly knew what I was doing and chose the wrong answer.

Any idea on how many you were able to guess/get wrong at the level you were at to maintain 48/49.

I got Q49 on my last GMAC Prep 2 days before, 11 wrong (!!), i think just one wrong in the first 11 that's why i got away with it. Out of those, 8 questions were stupid mistakes or falling for DS traps.

If I had to estimate how many I guessed, on the GMACPrep it was less as I took the gamble of powering through with the question even beyond 3 minutes, on the real test I didn't want to take that risk, I probably guessed around 4 to 5 questions. I would like to say that I almost always narrowed it down to 2 choices before
Manager
Manager
Send PM
and yeah totally feel you on the 80% through frustration, but then again keep practicing and you'll be able to tell when its plain futile to spend another minute or two and you just need to take that gamble and move on.

Btw, have you tried that "alternative question" strategy at the end mentioned in the original post? Works well, if you have less time at the end, stress on alternative questions because consecutive wrong answers messes things up more.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I know the strategy, and have used it unsuccessfully because I stumble on a question I know how to do..and spend too much time on it at the end. I'm planning on working through a GMATClub math test tomorrow and trying it. I feel the scores aren't representative of ability as I'm all over the place with those. But good practice. Are you planning R2 apps?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:

btw the first MGMAT i applied the new testing checkpoint thing to, my score dropped 20 points, but then picked up a lot after in subsequent tests..
reason i believe it is because two 750+ posts have recommended it on this forum in their debriefs..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
guys its been 8 days and i dont have my AWA or IR scores. Weird? Shouldn´t i get it in my email? That´s what happened earlier.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37312 posts