Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 21:50 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 21:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Kudos
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [19]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [7]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: 770 Debrief - A Poet's Approach [#permalink]
Congrats on such a great score and thanks for sharing your quant strategy.

Please share the strategy for CR used by you.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Schools: Stern '16 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q51 V44
WE:Analyst (Retail Banking)
Send PM
Congrats on getting a 770! I also got a 770 but for me quant was easy and I had to work on the verbal.

Are you going to apply this fall? Do you know what schools you will target?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Congrats on the score and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of Gmatclub. Your approach seems really logical.

Quick question - You say that one should only do practice questions (such as CAT's) a month out from the exam. What sources did you get your questions from ?
I can only think of MGMAT as a resource for these ?

In other words, are there any other resources for the questions you are suggesting one should practice with ?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
ConsultingOrBust wrote:
Congrats on getting a 770! I also got a 770 but for me quant was easy and I had to work on the verbal.

Are you going to apply this fall? Do you know what schools you will target?

Hi COrB,

I actually plan to attend b-school in 2-3 years, so the earliest I may apply is next year.

As for schools, I'm looking at Wharton, Chicago, Kellogg, and Michigan. If you don't mind being in touch, I'd like to reach out through PM and pick your brain. Your blog is very helpful.

----

saami343 wrote:
Congrats on the score and thanks for taking the time to share with the rest of Gmatclub. Your approach seems really logical.

Quick question - You say that one should only do practice questions (such as CAT's) a month out from the exam. What sources did you get your questions from ?
I can only think of MGMAT as a resource for these ?

In other words, are there any other resources for the questions you are suggesting one should practice with ?

Thanks!

Hi saami,

In my last month, I only used GMATprep exams (1, 2, 3, and 4) and one Kaplan CAT at Pearson to get a feel for actual testing conditions (ignore the scores for Kaplan, their sub-section scoring is off). I took one CAT per week, except for the last week, when I took GMATprep 3 and 4 on Monday and Wednesday.

During the week, I practiced using official OG problems and questions from the GMATprep software (I downloaded the Question Pack for additional practice). I did all the HARD and MEDIUM questions under Study conditions, and carefully reviewed any questions that I got wrong or that were unfamiliar. I also did content reviews of MGMAT Number Properties, Word Problems, and Sentence Correction towards the end (last 2 weeks) to refresh my memory.

----

For those of you waiting on my SC post, sorry! Work has been hectic but I promise I will post it later today.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
GMAT 2: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.64
WE:Corporate Finance (Consumer Products)
Send PM
As a fellow poet this math strategy really tempts me but I think the big assumption is that you can solve everything given enough time. I'm studying to retake after a q45 and although I'm at about a q47 at the moment there are plenty of questions I can't get solved with 3-4 minutes instead of 2. Do you agree this won't work if you miss more than 2-5 during the first 30? If your at 51 level through 30 questions and get 2/5 right for the last 7 I believe you'll get a 49/50, what will happen if your only at a 47 through 30 and guess? Is the penalty ratio the same?

Posted from my mobile device

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Congrats on a fantastic score. Your approach to quant is fascinating and gutsy!

You noted that on your last two GMATPret CATS you only missed 2 of the first 30 problems and then 5 of the last 7. I know it's tough to estimate, but for the official test, do you have any sense for the number of problems you missed of the first ~30 (ie, the ones on which you did not guess). Obviously your approach only works if you miss just a couple of questions, at most, on the first 30.

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Awesome score and an awesome debrief! :thumbup:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
UPDATE - Got my official Score Report this morning! AWA 6.0 :)

goinggolfing wrote:
As a fellow poet this math strategy really tempts me but I think the big assumption is that you can solve everything given enough time. I'm studying to retake after a q45 and although I'm at about a q47 at the moment there are plenty of questions I can't get solved with 3-4 minutes instead of 2. Do you agree this won't work if you miss more than 2-5 during the first 30? If your at 51 level through 30 questions and get 2/5 right for the last 7 I believe you'll get a 49/50, what will happen if your only at a 47 through 30 and guess? Is the penalty ratio the same?

Unfortunately, my post count is not high enough to post links, but I highly recommend you search for the following thread -

"GMAT Prep Software Analysis and What If Scenarios"

The original poster is Bunuel. He does a great job of covering every conceivable scenario and my strategy for Quant was just a logical extension of his findings. I am not saying my strategy is for everyone, of course - I had a very clear understanding of my own abilities and limitations. I would only recommend this approach to somebody who can consistently answer at least 9 of the first 10 questions on the GMATPrep CATs correctly.

Longzon wrote:
Congrats on a fantastic score. Your approach to quant is fascinating and gutsy!

You noted that on your last two GMATPret CATS you only missed 2 of the first 30 problems and then 5 of the last 7. I know it's tough to estimate, but for the official test, do you have any sense for the number of problems you missed of the first ~30 (ie, the ones on which you did not guess). Obviously your approach only works if you miss just a couple of questions, at most, on the first 30.

Thanks!

Sort of. I never tried to guess how many I got wrong during the test, but I definitely picked up a "feel" for question difficulty.

Now, let me be clear. Understanding that you have a difficult question by GMAT standards in front of you is NOT the same as feeling the question is difficult for YOU, personally. The GMATPrep Software definitely helps in that regard. You can see for yourself what kind of questions the GMAT writers classify as "HARD" versus "MEDIUM" versus "EASY". For me, subjectively, there were some "HARD" questions I felt PERSONALLY were ridiculously easy, while some "MEDIUM" questions gave me fits. But this goes back to recognition. After a while, you begin to pick up on how the test writers present what THEY THINK are 800 level questions.

A lot of that is intuitive, but if I had to classify 800 level Quant questions, I would say that they involve a lot more traps, require you to "connect the dots" more, and have seriously convoluted wording. 700 level questions tend to involve more simple or "brute" calculation and only seem to test one subject at a time (absolute value, percentages, straightforward rates/work, etc.). For example, a 700 level Overlapping Sets Data Sufficiency question will just give you values and ask whether they are sufficient. A 800 level Overlapping Sets Data Sufficiency question will force you to calculate the values yourself, and use algebraic substitution to determine sufficiency. It may also require a 3x3 matrix instead of the usual 2x2.

When I scored a 47Q on my GMATPrep 2, I definitely knew it. The questions were written in such a way that they were very straightforward, which clued me in that I hadn't done well (I later found out I got Question #3 wrong and that made a big difference). By contrast, on actual test day, by the time I hit question 34, I was still getting funky Geometry problems that required a lot of intuitive leaps. That, to me, was a dead giveaway.

Hope that helps!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
great score & debrief! Congratulations.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager