Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 12:44 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 12:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [14]
Given Kudos: 5
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.11
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [0]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Re: Bakery costs [#permalink]
piyushagarwal wrote:
IMO A.

@tehjay - I understand your concern. Will try to explain.

The budget is for a list of A-Z items of which costs are known. Every year when budgeting, folks at bakery adds correction factor of five percent to its costs from the previous year... This simply means that they use the same list of A-Z items with updates costs from last year and add 5%. It does not matter that a item X was actually bought/used last year. They still budget for it since nowhere its mentioned that the item is excluded or every year the budget is made only for the items used last year.

Hope that helps..

It actually does say that the budget is made only based on the items used last year. The budget for every year is made by adding a correction factor to its costs from the previous year, not to the previous year's budget - so the budget is made based on the bakery's ACTUAL costs, not on the estimate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
clear A....

If I allocate 100$ for the same old ingredients among which one ingredient now costs less this year.Of course by budgeting is incorrect.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 695 [3]
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Kudos
amma4u wrote:
clear A....

If I allocate 100$ for the same old ingredients among which one ingredient now costs less this year.Of course by budgeting is incorrect.

Anyone else get really sick of how often people reply to threads like this without reading anything in it?

Ok here's an example. This year, the bakery spent money on ingredients A, B, C and D. Next year, when creating their budget, they look at the money spent this year and say, "Okay, we spent X dollars on ingredients A, B, C and D, so we'll add our 5% to that amount to budget for next year." However, next year they no longer purchase ingredient D. So they're budgeted for all four, but they only actually purchase A, B and C.

The year after that, when creating the next budget, they look at their total costs for the year and say, "Okay, we spent Y dollars on ingredients A, B and C, so we'll add our 5% to that amount to budget for next year."

Where's the REPEATEDLY overbudgeting coming from? They can only overbudget once.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM
Kudos
I go with B .... The budget is based on the assumption that there will be an increase of about 5% ..on historical cost
imgaine a scenario where ---- at the time of budgeting it is known that raw material prices have increased by more than 10 % ( say )

I eliminated because it talks about only one of the raw material which is no longer used . we do not know what is the contribution of this material in the total raw natrial cost

I would have opted for A ... if it read
The company has budegeted the cost on the basis of historical cost of raw materials. However majority of these raw material are no longer used .

regards
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [1]
Given Kudos: 112
Send PM