Last visit was: 06 May 2024, 11:35 It is currently 06 May 2024, 11:35

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [8]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621675 [6]
Given Kudos: 81767
Send PM
General Discussion
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4705 [2]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621675 [0]
Send PM
Re: A certain board game consists of a circular path of 100 spaces colored [#permalink]
Expert Reply
fluke wrote:
Ans: "E"

There are 100 possible ways to select 7 consecutive spaces.
1-7
2-8
3-9
4-10
98-104
99-105
100-106

Let's fix the first colored space as Black; Representing Black as K and blue as B.
KYGRBKYGRBKYGRBKYGRB... 20 SUCH GROUPS

How to get 2 blues.
KYG[R{BKYGRB]K}YGRBKYGRB

If the starting space is Red and last space Blue; positions will be; 4,9,14,19,....94,99= count 20
OR
If the starting space is Blue and last space Black; positions will be; 5,10,15,20...95,100= count 20

20+20=40

There are 40 favorable ways.

P=40/100=2/5

Ans: "E"

It's simpler then this. The question basically asks the probability of the first space being either blue or red and as there are total of 5 colors then the probability is simply 2/5.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 893 [1]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
Re: A certain board game consists of a circular path of 100 spaces colored [#permalink]
Kudos
fluke
Pls see this reasoning. Can I rephrase the question as?

What is the probability of getting 5n or 5n-1 in 100 numbers ?

cheers
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 4705 [0]
Given Kudos: 376
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
It's simpler then this. The question basically asks the probability of the first space being either blue or red and as there are total of 5 colors then the probability is simply 2/5.

gmat1220 wrote:
fluke
Pls see this reasoning. Can I rephrase the question as?

What is the probability of getting 5n or 5n-1 in 100 numbers ?

cheers

Exactly!! I realized that after seeing your posts. Thanks and kudos to both.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Impossible is not a fact. It's an opinion. It's a dare. Impossible is nothing.
Affiliations: University of Chicago Booth School of Business
Own Kudos [?]: 893 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
fluke, Bunuel your explanations are awesome.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi guys, Thanks for the quick reply.
Bunuel: point noted about the posting rules, sorry.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1175 [0]
Given Kudos: 43
Concentration: Strategy, Technology
Send PM
My take :

The pattern is :

black, yellow, green, red, blue - black, yellow, green, red, blue - black, yellow, green, red, blue

The desired pattern can happen only in - red, blue, black, yellow, green, red, blue

or in - blue, black, yellow, green, red, blue, black

Total ways of choosing 7 consecutive = 5 after which the patterns repeat :

black, yellow, green, red, blue, black, yellow

yellow, green, red, blue, black, yellow, green

green, red, blue, black, yellow, green, red

red, blue, black, yellow, green, red, blue

blue, black, yellow, green, red, blue, black

So Prob = 2/5

Answer is E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 241 [0]
Given Kudos: 872
Concentration: Marketing, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V41
GPA: 3
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:
Moved to PS subforum.

akriti13 wrote:
a certain board game consists of a circular path of 100 spaces colored in a repeating pattern of black, yellow, green, red and blue. what is the probability that, in a random selection of seven consecutive spaces, 2 of the spaces are blue?

a)2/25
b)1/7
c)1/5
d)2/7
e)2/5

We have a pattern of 5 colors: black - yellow - green - red - blue. To have 2 blue spaces in a string of 7 spaces the starting space must be either blue or red (in I case: first and sixth spaces will be blue and in the II case: second and seventh spaces will be blue). The probability that the starting space will be either blue or red is 2/5.

Answer: E.

P.S. Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/
and DS questions in the DS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/ No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

I do not think that 2/5 is the answer here. It would have been If there were infinite number or a very large number of consecutive repetitions here. Since we have only 100 numbers, we have to count the number of times each of these patterns occurs, and also the number of ways in which we can select 7 consecutive numbers here, I hope I'm not confusing you. So when I counted, I found that there are a total of 100-7+1 = 94 ways in which we can select 7 consecutive patterns.

Now, we know that every color occurs 20 times, as it's a recurring pattern of 5 colors. But, we cannot select 7 consecutive numbers starting from any of the last 6 numbers, and they have to removed from counting the total number of patterns that we can select.

From this I found that..

B--Y 19
Y--G 19
G--R 19
R--b 19
b--B 18

Total = 94

Where B--Y represents the pattern of 7 colors that starts from Black and ends in Y. B = Black and b = Blue.

Only in the last two patterns will there be two blues.

Final probability

37/94

Not listed. What's wrong! :? :(

Experts, a little help please.
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 621675 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
ShashankDave wrote:
Bunuel wrote:
Moved to PS subforum.

akriti13 wrote:
a certain board game consists of a circular path of 100 spaces colored in a repeating pattern of black, yellow, green, red and blue. what is the probability that, in a random selection of seven consecutive spaces, 2 of the spaces are blue?

a)2/25
b)1/7
c)1/5
d)2/7
e)2/5

We have a pattern of 5 colors: black - yellow - green - red - blue. To have 2 blue spaces in a string of 7 spaces the starting space must be either blue or red (in I case: first and sixth spaces will be blue and in the II case: second and seventh spaces will be blue). The probability that the starting space will be either blue or red is 2/5.

Answer: E.

P.S. Please post PS questions in the PS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-problem-solving-ps-140/
and DS questions in the DS subforum: https://gmatclub.com/forum/gmat-data-sufficiency-ds-141/ No posting of PS/DS questions is allowed in the main Math forum.

I do not think that 2/5 is the answer here. It would have been If there were infinite number or a very large number of consecutive repetitions here. Since we have only 100 numbers, we have to count the number of times each of these patterns occurs, and also the number of ways in which we can select 7 consecutive numbers here, I hope I'm not confusing you. So when I counted, I found that there are a total of 100-7+1 = 94 ways in which we can select 7 consecutive patterns.

Now, we know that every color occurs 20 times, as it's a recurring pattern of 5 colors. But, we cannot select 7 consecutive numbers starting from any of the last 6 numbers, and they have to removed from counting the total number of patterns that we can select.

From this I found that..

B--Y 19
Y--G 19
G--R 19
R--b 19
b--B 18

Total = 94

Where B--Y represents the pattern of 7 colors that starts from Black and ends in Y. B = Black and b = Blue.

Only in the last two patterns will there be two blues.

Final probability

37/94

Not listed. What's wrong! :? :(

Experts, a little help please.

2/5 is correct.

The question basically asks the probability of the first space being either blue or red and as there are total of 5 colors then the probability is simply 2/5.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
93058 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts