Find all School-related info fast with the new School-Specific MBA Forum

It is currently 21 Aug 2014, 00:27

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Events & Promotions

Events & Promotions in June
Open Detailed Calendar

A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed

Question banks Downloads My Bookmarks Reviews Important topics  
TAGS:
1 KUDOS received
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Followers: 2

Kudos [?]: 26 [1] , given: 4

GMAT Tests User
A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 11:25
This post received
KUDOS
This post was
BOOKMARKED
00:00
A
B
C
D
E

Difficulty:

(N/A)

Question Stats:

82% (03:07) correct 18% (02:02) wrong based on 11 sessions
A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the
fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Which of the following must be true based on the evidence presented above?
Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.

During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.

Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.

More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.

At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.

Please post answers with explainations.
Director
Director
Followers: 7

Kudos [?]: 184 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+-CR from MGMAT. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:21
Premise 1: A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions.
Premise 2: Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester.
Premise 3: At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state.
Premise 4: all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives.
Premise 5: Also, most of the 20 students who attended the fewest number of concerts reported below-average levels of emotional comfort.

Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels.
Premise 4 and 5 together account for 30 students there is still 170 student who cannot be accounted. So not true.

During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance.
There is no proof of this, more over even experiment might be part of course work.

Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults.
Just on basis of Premise 4 (data of 10 students), it is too much to conclude this.

More than 6 participants attended at least 14 concerts during the course of the experiment.
Premise 2 said all student attended at least 2 hour concert. As per Premise 4 at least 10 student watched more than concert than other. Quite safe to assume that these 10 students attended at least 2 concerts each. So 6 students did attended more than 14 concerts.

At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts.
No proof given in the passage.
1 KUDOS received
Current Student

Kudos [?]: 55 [1] , given: 3

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+-CR from MGMAT. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:41
This post received
KUDOS
marshpa wrote:
A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed the effects of music on human emotions. Each of the 200 participants attended at least 1 two-hour concert of classical music per week over the course of 12 weeks of their spring semester. At the end of the experiment, all of the students filled out a questionnaire assessing their emotional state. Based on the results of the questionnaires, all of the 10 students who attended the greatest number of concerts reported lower stress levels and higher satisfaction with their lives. Also, most of the 20 students who attended the

I personally think this question would never show up on the GMAT, but here is my take on it.

The key is to recognize that the passage refers to 3 groups of people who attended different numbers of concerts - the 'greatest' group of 10, the 'not mentioned - middle' group of 170, and the 'fewest' group of 20.

Combine this with the fact that the students at minimum have to attend 12 concerts (1 per week) we get =>
Fewest group => at least 12 concerts
middle group => at least 13 concerts
greatest group => at least 14 concerts

If we know the greatest group have attended at least 14 concerts, then we know D) is true.
Director
Director
Followers: 1

Kudos [?]: 103 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+-CR from MGMAT. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 12:53
Good point abhijit.

I concur with your approach.
Here is POE approach that also narrows down to the answer:

Most of the 200 participants improved their emotional state and lowered their stress levels. [Nothing clearly alludes to this point – all the argument mentioned is all of the major participants – eliminate it]

During each week of the experiment, the participants spent at least 2 hours less on their academic work as a result of concert attendance. [interesting academic work was not even mentioned – by the by who said attending the concerts has negative effect on the academic performance – bye bye]

Listening to classical music for at least 2 hours per week improves the emotional well-being of the majority of young adults. [Argument mentioned one hour program and moreover, If this is true then we won’t see any unrest in youth – definitely not the choice]

At least some of the students participated in the study in order to gain free access to classical concerts. [Again nothing in the argument mentions about it – eliminate it

Seems numbers magic is playing in the argument – D
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 59 [0], given: 0

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+-CR from MGMAT. [#permalink] New post 28 Jul 2008, 14:47
IMO D as well.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager

Kudos [?]: 26 [0], given: 4

GMAT Tests User
Re: 700+-CR from MGMAT. [#permalink] New post 30 Jul 2008, 07:50
OA is D, thanks abhijeet for the good reasoning. I also think that this kind of questions can never occur on the GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Followers: 229

Kudos [?]: 50 [0], given: 0

Premium Member
Re: A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed [#permalink] New post 19 Feb 2014, 23:27
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
Manager
Manager
Followers: 5

Kudos [?]: 8 [0], given: 114

GMAT ToolKit User CAT Tests
Re: A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed [#permalink] New post 31 Jul 2014, 22:56
jasonc wrote:
marshpa wrote:

I personally think this question would never show up on the GMAT, but here is my take on it.

The key is to recognize that the passage refers to 3 groups of people who attended different numbers of concerts - the 'greatest' group of 10, the 'not mentioned - middle' group of 170, and the 'fewest' group of 20.

Combine this with the fact that the students at minimum have to attend 12 concerts (1 per week) we get =>
Fewest group => at least 12 concerts
middle group => at least 13 concerts
greatest group => at least 14 concerts

If we know the greatest group have attended at least 14 concerts, then we know D) is true.

I agree. I go for D with the same reasoning

+1 Kudos please, if you like my post

Re: A recent research study of undergraduate students analyzed   [#permalink] 31 Jul 2014, 22:56