Last visit was: 26 Apr 2024, 15:05 It is currently 26 Apr 2024, 15:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [1]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
MBA Admissions Decisions: Should You Go Full-Time Or Part-Time? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Admissions Decisions: Should You Go Full-Time Or Part-Time?

Full-time or Part-time?

When I was applying to b-school, I contemplated part-time vs. full-time, and one of my best friends, Colleen, had to make the same decision at the same time.

Ultimately, I decided to attend the full-time program at the University of Michigan. Colleen decided to attend a part-time program at the University of Michigan. We shared 60% of the same classes, 40% of the same professors and even had a class together (Michigan offered, at the time, courses where they reserved half the registrations for full-time students and half the registrations for part-time students). Since that time, they dramatically changed the full-time curriculum and it is unlikely that we would overlap now like we did then. However, I graduated two years before Colleen with a unique internship, an opportunity to begin a new career and a lot of debt. Colleen advanced quickly with the company that hired her upon our graduation from college and graduated without debt because her company sponsored her education. We both have the same degree.

Now as an Accepted.com consultant and as a former Admissions Director and Dean of full-time, part-time and EMBA programs, I lend you my insight and guidance from the other side of the table in this brief analysis of programs.

Full-time programs: Traditional full-time programs are the media darlings of MBA programs. A school’s reputation relies mostly on its full-time program rankings. They consume the largest portion of the school’s budget, and they rarely make revenue for a school. More than 90% of all scholarships and fellowships are dedicated to full-time students. Full-time programs are perfect for career-changers in the 23-30 year old age range that can afford the opportunity cost of leaving work to immerse themselves in education and experience. If you choose this experience, you will feel like you are an undergraduate again with clubs and activities, but the workload will be greater. You will have access to on-campus recruiting (I always recommend you conduct your own off-campus job search in parallel with on-campus recruiting), company presentations, fellowships and scholarships and a lot of fun. Full-time students prioritize the job search and school. Family often gets the short stick, but there are typically resources to support a spouse. If you are single, it’s a great opportunity to form a romantic relationship. My grad school roommate found the love of her life in our core operations course.

Part-time programs: Part-time programs are the cash cow of MBA programs and have to live in the shadow of their smaller full-time counterpart. They take very few resources, but they often share the same faculty as the full-time program. Many professors would rather teach at night or on the weekend to lighten their teaching load and dedicate their days to research. Schools will also complement the faculty with adjuncts in part-time programs. Aggregated, the part-time applicant pool is not as competitive or as diverse in terms of admissions as schools typically receive fewer applications, and they are limited to their immediate region and the industries that dominate that industry. Furthermore, schools have the capacity to serve at least as many and often more students than their full-time counterpart.

As much as schools say the quality of the full-time students and the part-time students are the same, the quality is dependent on location and how that location generates applications. Bigger cities have an easier time of attracting great applicants to their part-time program and can maintain higher quality standards, but full-time programs generate applications from around the globe and it’s much easier to pick and choose candidates for admission.

Part-time programs are perfect for the 24-35 year old career enhancer, but rarely serve the career changer. Part-timers typically do not have the same access to comprehensive career services as full-time programs because company presentations and interviews are typically held during the day. At one school for whom I worked, we dedicated one career services staff member to all of our professional programs (part-time, EMBA, on-line) serving over 1000 students and 5 career services staff to the small 200-student full-time program.

Part-time students can often get full or partial sponsorship from their company lessening the financial burden, but do not typically have access to fellowships or scholarships from the school. It typically takes students longer than 2 years to complete a part-time program and part-time students prioritize work first, school second and again, family gets the short end stick. Part-time students often feel like the stepchild of the full-time counterparts.

EMBA programs: EMBA programs are also lucrative for schools, but they typically are not as large as full-time programs, and schools charge a premium to attend an EMBA program. They are perfect for students in the 30-year-old to 42-year-old age range that have been supervising employees and that have the support of their executive management to attend a program because executives view these students as fast-trackers in their company. These programs are typically held every other weekend and offer no fellowships or scholarships because schools expect the student’s company to sponsor the student partially or completely. EMBA students typically prioritize work first, family second and school last. While EMBA students may cross from technical supervisory roles to business supervisory roles in their companies, EMBA programs do not cater to the career changer only the career enhancer. Schools take care of their EMBA students for their tuition premium. However, these students rarely interact with either the part-time or full-time students, but bond well with their cohort and the faculty.

By Natalie Grinblatt Epstein, an accomplished Accepted.com consultant/editor (since 2008) and entrepreneur. Natalie is a former MBA Admissions Dean and Director at Ross, Johnson, and Carey.

Related Resources:

• Ace the EMBA

Tips for Applying to Part Time MBA Programs

• The MBA Family: A Roundup and Overview

Tags: EMBA, MBA Admissions, Part time MBA

The post MBA Admissions Decisions: Should You Go Full-Time Or Part-Time? appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Choosing From Multiple Business School Acceptances [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Choosing From Multiple Business School Acceptances

“Choosing From Multiple Business School Acceptances” is the final post in our series Navigate the MBA Maze.

You’ve been accepted at two solid schools. Great! Or, you’ve been offered admission to an OK school with a significant scholarship and your #1 choice with no  financial aid. Or, you’ve been admitted to a top-tier program, but you really wanted to go to Harvard. You should be celebrating, but instead you’re worrying.

What do you do now? What criteria do you use in making your decision? Here are the factors that should guide you:

1. Which institution best supports your future goals and most likely career path? This criterion is paramount when you have clear, well-defined goals, for instance, “I want to run an IT consultancy serving financial services firms.” If financial aid is an issue, calculate whether the full tuition program will increase your earning power by more than the amount of the scholarship, or whether your preference for the more expensive school is worth the difference in cost.

2. Which educational approach do you prefer?  Do you prefer to learn through case study or analysis, or a combination of the two?

3. Where would you rather live for X years? Do you want to live in a big city or small college town? What region do you want to live in? Do you prefer a big university or a small college? Religious or secular? Liberal or conservative?

Enjoy your great options and use these criteria to guide you as you make your decision.

Related Resources:

• How To Pay For Your MBA [webinar]

Show Me The Money

• MBA Choices: Dream School vs. Scholarship School?

Tags: MBA Admissions, Navigate The MBA Maze

The post Choosing From Multiple Business School Acceptances appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program

The Wharton MBA adcom offers you some help in shaping your Wharton application – by clearly and succinctly defining the four core components of “the Wharton difference.”  Understanding these components is a key to conveying your fit with the program.

These four components are encompassed in Wharton’s emphasis on “putting knowledge into action.”  This value should guide your application approach: action is always specific, anecdotal.  Therefore, keep your resume, essays, and application answers specific, anecdotal, and action focused.

In this post I’ll discuss two of the four components that are tightly correlated, then I’ll do one post each for the remaining two.  In all, I’ll keep on the radar screen the overarching “putting knowledge into action.”

Largest Global Network and Culture of Engagement are the two interconnected components.  They go hand-in-hand:

•  The vast global alumni network is an immense resource, and culture involves a cyclical process of using, synthesizing and creating new resources.

•  A network and a culture are both built on and serve people.

•  The network component uses the phrases “call on” and “tap into” while the culture of engagement component uses the words “join” and “collaborative” – reflecting dynamism, connection, proactivity.

There is another fascinating but perhaps less intuitive point of alignment between these two components: impact.

•  “Increase your impact through the resources of this diverse, connected community” (from Global Network).

•  “…Turning knowledge into impact” (from Culture of Engagement).

What does all this add up to?  PEOPLE TAKING ACTION CREATE IMPACT.  That’s basic.  What you want to demonstrate, and what Wharton seeks, is you being part of PEOPLE TAKING ACTION TOGETHER TO CREATE CONSTRUCTIVE, DESIRED IMPACTS.

Here’s how you can demonstrate fit with Wharton by incorporating these values into your application:

•  Refer specifically in your application and interview to how you will use the global alumni network to advance your goals and/or how you will engage with it (specific actions as opposed to the ubiquitous but bland “contribute to”).

•  Give examples and anecdotes in essays that illustrate your resourcefulness and collaboration leading to concrete outcomes.

•  In discussing how you will achieve your goals, include these elements, which also align with the action orientation.

• Ensure that your resume reflects these values, and start bullet points with verbs to underscore action.

•  If your recommenders are open to your input, ask them to use examples and present strengths that reflect these attributes (and not just “ability to” but also achieving impacts).

•  In your interview frame your answers and points to reflect these elements and even refer specifically to them, if you can do so naturally.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

• Global Business Leadership at Wharton’s Lauder Institute

• Wharton 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

• The Wharton Executive MBA Program: An Insider’s View [Podcast]

Tags: MBA Admissions, The Wharton Difference, Wharton

The post The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
The 4 Must-Haves Of A Grad School Application [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: The 4 Must-Haves Of A Grad School Application

Linda Abraham has been living and breathing admissions for over 20 years. Does she know the secret to getting accepted to graduate school? Well, since you asked – yes she does.

Listen to the show (and takes notes!) for the four things you need to know and do to get admitted to your top choice grad school.

00:00:36 – Obsessed with stats? You may be barking up the wrong tree.

00:03:16 – Linda’s holistic framework for grad school admissions success.

00:04:39 – #1: Show you can excel: the role of grades and test scores.

00:05:30 – #2: Don’t apply to med school to become a financial analyst (but do apply if you want to be a doctor) AKA the importance of goals.

00:06:44 – #3: Can you show fit?

00:08:19 – #4: Climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. Just kidding.

Applying the framework to:

00:12:26 – MBA Admissions.

00:18:47 – Grad School Admissions.

00:21:44 – Med School Admissions.

00:24:29 – Law School Admissions.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com

Related links:

Get Accepted to HBS / Wharton/ StanfordCBS

Get Accepted to Medical School in 2016

Writing Secondary Essays that Get You Accepted

Related shows:

How To Think Like A Dean Of Admissions

How to Earn a Spot on Team Fuqua

The Admissions Team at the Very Center of Business

Attn Med Applicants: A Class Is Matriculated Every Single Yearhttps://blog.accepted.com/2015/05/20/attn-med-applicants-a-class-is-matriculated-every-single-year/• Baylor College Of Medicine: A Holistic Approach To Admissions

Leave a Review for Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, podcast

The post The 4 Must-Haves Of A Grad School Application appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Duke Fuqua 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Duke Fuqua 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Leadership, teamwork, ethics, and a global approach to business are essential elements of the Duke Fuqua MBA, which is why you’ll need to make sure you express your passion for these ideals in your application essays. Impress the Fuqua adcom by positioning yourself as an innovative leader and team player, as someone who can see the big picture, work collaboratively, and shape global business.

My tips are in blue below.

Three short answer questions and 2 essays are required from all applicants.

• Responses should use 1.5 line spacing and a font size no smaller than 10-point.

• Respond fully and concisely.

• Responses must be completed before submitting your application.

• Prepare your responses carefully. The Admissions Committee considers your answers important in the selection process.

• All essays are scanned using plagiarism detection software. Plagiarism is considered a cheating violation within the Honor Code and will not be tolerated in the admissions process.

Application Tip: Check out Fuqua’s section criteria.

Required Short Answers Questions

Instructions: Answer all 3 of the following questions. For each short answer question, respond in 500 characters only (the equivalent of about 100 words).

1. What are your short term goals, post-MBA?

State what you see yourself doing immediately after you earn your MBA in terms of function and industry. If location or geography are important to your goal, include them.  If you know the type of companies you would like to work for, you can include that information too, but don’t say you want to work for Company X, unless Company X is sponsoring you. Without sponsorship, a “Company X” answer is probably too narrow, but saying you would like to work for a firm like Company X would work.

2. What are your long term goals?

Your long term goals should flow logically from your short-term goals. They can be fuzzier and both in terms of direction and timing. But you should have them. They can, but don’t have to, include larger aspirations and present a broader perspective on where you are headed. But please don’t go so general and say something like “I aspire to be a good person” or “I strive to leave a lasting impact on my community.” Nice sentiments, but way too vague.

3. Life is full of uncertainties, and plans and circumstances can change. As a result, navigating a career requires you to be adaptable. Should the short-term goals that you provided above not materialize what alternative directions have you considered?

What’s your Plan B? If you can’t get a job at a leading strategy consulting firm — your first choice — what do you want to do? If Plan A is investment banking, what’s Plan B?

First Required Essay: 25 Random Things About Yourself

Instructions: Answer the following question — present your response in list form, numbered 1 to 25. Some points may be only a few words, while others may be longer. Your complete list should not exceed 2 pages.

1. The “Team Fuqua” spirit and community is one of the things that sets The Duke MBA experience apart, and it is a concept that extends beyond the student body to include faculty, staff, and administration. When a new person joins the Admissions team, we ask that person to share with everyone in the office a list of “25 Random Things About Yourself.” As an Admissions team, we already know the new hire’s professional and academic background, so learning these “25 Random Things” helps us get to know someone’s personality, background, special talents, and more.

In this spirit, the Admissions Committee also wants to get to know you–beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript. You can share with us important life experiences, your likes/dislikes, hobbies, achievements, fun facts, or anything that helps us understand what makes you who you are. Share with us your list of “25 Random Things” about YOU.

Have some fun with this list. It certainly allows a more creative approach than permitted by most essay prompts. Note that the questions asks you to go “beyond the professional and academic achievements listed in your resume and transcript.”  So you can list your Pez collection or perhaps your brief membership in a rock band or the fact that you took violin from age 6-18 or your membership in a gospel choir or your volunteer work in a hospital, your needlepoint, your favorite recipe or photo. Gosh the list is endless. Just let it reflect you. Think of this list as an introduction to potential friends.   For more insight into this question and the  motivation behind, please read Megan Overbay’s, the former Director of Admissions’, advice. I believe you will find it helpful. And very friendly.

Second Required Essay (choose 1 of 2)

Instructions: Choose only 1 of the following 2 essay questions to answer. Your response should be no more than 2 pages in length, and should reflect your knowledge of the Fuqua program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student.

Choose to the prompt that will let you reveal something important to you and impressive about you. Write the essay that you will be able to draft most enthusiastically and easily.

1. Why Duke: When asked by your family, friends, and colleagues why you want to go to Duke, what do you tell them? Share the reasons that are most meaningful to you.

Why Duke? But you’re not talking to the admissions committee, whom you just may be a tad less than candid with. You are talking to your family, friends, and colleagues, people you know and like (at least the friends).  The Fuqua admissions staff really wants to get to know you. Authenticity is the goal. The admissions readers want to be able to imagine you as a part of Team Fuqua — their family — as a friend or colleague. Will you be real stiff and formal? Of course not. You will be friendly in a professional way. Don’t take this as an invitation to be inappropriate, coarse, or rude. Just friendly.

What appeals to you at Duke? What about its program, culture, and professional opportunities attracts you and would compel you to accept an offer of admission? Maybe address a letter to a close friend and tell her why you want to go to Duke.  That letter may morph into this essay.

2. The Team Fuqua community is as unique as the individuals who comprise it. Underlying our individuality are a number of shared ideas and principles that we live out in our own ways. Our students have identified and defined 6 “Team Fuqua Principles” that we feel are the guiding philosophies that make our community special. At the end of your 2 years at Fuqua, if you were to receive an award for exemplifying one of the 6 Principles listed below, which one would it be and why? Your response should reflect the research you have done, your knowledge of Fuqua and the Daytime MBA program and experience, and the types of activities and leadership you would engage in as a Fuqua student.

1. Authentic Engagement: We care and we take action. We each make a difference to Team Fuqua by being ourselves and engaging in and supporting activities about which we are passionate.

2. Supportive Ambition: We support each other to achieve great things, because your success is my success. The success of each individual member of Team Fuqua makes the whole of Team Fuqua better.

3. Collective Diversity:  We embrace all of our classmates because our individuality is better and stronger together.

4. Impactful Stewardship: We are leaders who focus on solutions to improve our communities both now and in the future. We aren’t satisfied with just maintaining the status quo.

5. Loyal Community: We are a family who looks out for each other. Team Fuqua supports you when you need it the most.

6. Uncompromising Integrity: We internalize and live the honor code in the classroom and beyond. We conduct ourselves with integrity within Fuqua, within Duke, and within all communities of which we are a part.

Do your homework about Fuqua (and yourself) before responding to this question. What activities and groups appeal to you? How do you see yourself participating? Making a difference? Then look at the list of six principles above. Which do you most identify with? Imagine how you would exemplify that principle in your activities. The story of that role and how would see yourself earning an award is your essay.  While you can reference similar activities in the past, keep the focus of this essay on what you would do at Fuqua and why you would earn recognition for exemplifying one of these six principles.

Optional Essay Question:

If you feel there are extenuating circumstances of which the Admissions Committee should be aware, please explain them in an optional essay (e.g. unexplained gaps in work, choice of recommenders, inconsistent or questionable academic performance, or any significant weakness in your application).

• Do NOT upload additional essays nor additional recommendations in this area of the application.

• The Optional Essay is intended to provide the Admissions Committee with insight into your extenuating circumstances only.

• Limit your response to two pages.

Why isn’t your current supervisor writing your rec? Why is there a six-month gap on your resume? Why did your grades dip during the first semester of your senior year? What are your responsibilities while working for a family business after having left a prestigious investment bank, and why did you make the change? Answering any of those questions (but not all) could be the topic of your optional essay.

Duke Fuqua 2016 MBA Application Deadlines:

If you would like professional guidance with your Duke Fuqua MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Duke application. 

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsHow To Earn A Spot On Team Fuqua [Podcast]

• Culture, Location, and Support: A Duke MBA Speaks

• 2016 MBA Application Essay Tips

Tags: 2016 MBA Application, Duke Fuqua, MBA Admissions

The post Duke Fuqua 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
What You Need To Know To Get Accepted To Wharton [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: What You Need To Know To Get Accepted To Wharton
Applying to Wharton? You are invited to attend our upcoming webinar!

On Aug 19th, Accepted CEO and b-school admissions expert, Linda Abraham, will share the secret to creating a standout application including:

• The 4 ingredients of a successful Wharton application.

• Insights into what the adcom is looking for.

• How to ace Wharton’s TBD/interview.

Spaces are limited! Reserve your spot for Get Accepted to Wharton today!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar, Wharton

The post What You Need To Know To Get Accepted To Wharton appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Should You Retake The GMAT? [Short Video] [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Should You Retake The GMAT? [Short Video]
Not sure if you should retake the GMAT? Check out this video for the three key factors to examine when evaluating your GMAT score:

Related Resources:

• That GMAT Score: Implications for Your MBA Application [webinar]

• Low GMAT Score? Don’t Panic…Yet.

• GMAT, GRE, SAT, and All Things Test Prep

Tags: GMAT, MBA Admissions, MBA Video Tips

The post Should You Retake The GMAT? [Short Video] appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
So These Two Grad School Applicants Walk Into A Bar . . . [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: So These Two Grad School Applicants Walk Into A Bar . . .

If used right, humor can help you stand out from your competitors in an unexpected way.

This might be a great opening line for a comedy night at a university student center, but can you use humor in a graduate school application essay? Should you even try?

The answer is . . . maybe. If you can use humor effectively, it will help you stand out from your competitors in an unexpected way.  (“Oh, is she the one who joked about her first time playing jazz in a live audience?”, an adcom member might ask while reviewing the season’s applicants.)  Humor can make us appear more human and relatable, especially with the most popular form of humor: the gently self-deprecating remark. For example, “My single New Year’s resolution this year is to buy a new bathroom scale, and, perhaps, one day, use it.” Or, “I discovered that I had a textbook case of ‘Congenital Fraidy Cat Syndrome.’  I knew it: my expanding medical knowledge was slowly killing me.”

This kind of humor reveals a writer’s vulnerabilities, making her sympathetic. However, as a grad school applicant, your goal is to show yourself as a focused, qualified, intelligent, and capable individual. If you lack the confidence to show that vulnerability, or the confidence to try to get a laugh, do not try. It is far more important to speak with your authentic voice. But if you have a track record of getting laughs among friends, don’t be afraid to use humor — judiciously — in a personal essay.

Here are a few examples of how – and how not – to use humor:

Good: “In all my travels, I had never before sipped anything called Toadstool Brew. After I was finished, I hoped never to have to sip it again.” This works because it is gently self-deprecating; you are poking fun at your own lack of appreciation for an exotic tea.

Not good: “In all my travels, I had never seen a more bizarre-looking individual. My first thought was, ‘This guy could get a gig on a reality TV show in the States.’” This doesn’t work because poking fun at someone else looks petty.

Never force humor into your writing. Use it when it feels natural, and perhaps try it out on another reader first. Adcom members will surely appreciate a laughter break while reading through all those serious essays!

By Judy Gruen, MBA admissions consultant since 1996 and author (with Linda Abraham) of MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsFrom Example to Exemplary [Free Guide]

Can I Use Humor In My Application Essays?

• How To Think Like A Dean Of Admissions

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

The post So These Two Grad School Applicants Walk Into A Bar . . . appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Innovative Leadership Learning: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Innovative Leadership Learning: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program

My previous post on defining your fit with Wharton addressed two of the four components of “The Wharton Difference” (Largest Global Network and Culture of Engagement).  Here I’ll look at the third component: Innovative Leadership Learning.

On the Wharton website, the short paragraph introducing this component contains the keys to unlocking its real meaning and import.  Let’s look at those keys – literally, the key words and phrases.  They reveal the adcom’s core interests and values.

•  “You’ll find your leadership style…”  Leadership isn’t the pivotal word here, but rather find.  Of course MBAs are about leadership.  But “find” indicates that the adcom wants people who are “in process” – seeking, growing, and changing in response to what they learn.

•  “…by participating in unmatched entrepreneurship and leadership activities.”  What’s the pivotal word here?  Yeah, participating.  It means active involvement.  The little word by is important too, because it indicates that this participation is the way through which you grow, change (including finding your leadership style).

•  “You’ll take risks, try new roles…”  Wharton adcom equates risk-taking with action; putting yourself out there; opening up not just intellectually but personally.  Wharton’s leadership and entrepreneurship (and other) resources offer avenues for risk-takers to try new roles. And note the word try: you don’t have to follow a straight, smooth path to a goal; the adcom recognizes the growth value in varied experiences, which you internalize and synthesize along the way.

“…inspire others, and work with peers to shape your experience.”  In a word, collaboration.  In Wharton’s culture, it’s the magic through which the alchemy of growth happens.  The verbs inspire and shape imply deep experience and profound, transforming outcomes.  Innovative Leadership Learning clearly is more than “gaining skills” and “building networks”…

Here’s how you can portray the “Innovative Leadership Learning” component to demonstrate fit with Wharton in your application:

•  Throughout your essay(s), weave in anecdotes and examples that show you participating, taking risks through collaboration, inspiring others in the process – and growing as a leader as a result.  Given the tight word counts, you can even do this within 1-2 sentences, e.g., “When I [did some activity/initiative], it challenged me to [think differently in some way; be specific], which proved valuable when I subsequently [led in a new capacity].

•  The Wharton interview process is a natural extension of this component – develop a strategy for portraying these qualities in a way that is natural to you.

•  In your resume and application form, mention activities where you took initiative and/or drew others in and/or “stretched” beyond your comfort zone.  These won’t be as in-depth as the essays, but they’ll enhance the related points elsewhere in the application.

By Cindy Tokumitsu, author and co-author of numerous ebooks, articles, and special reports, including Why MBA and Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One. Cindy has advised hundreds of successful applicants in her fifteen years with Accepted.com.

Related Resources:

• Best MBA Programs: A Guide to Selecting the Right One [Free Guide]

• The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program

The post Innovative Leadership Learning: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Get Accepted To Stanford GSB—Webinar On Demand! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Get Accepted To Stanford GSB—Webinar On Demand!
Our recent webinar, Get Accepted to Stanford GSB, was a huge success! Thanks to our wonderful audience for your great participation and questions.

In case you missed it—or if you want to review— the webinar recording is now available on our website!

Watch it today for critical advice on how to create a successful Stanford application.

Best of luck!

Tags: MBA Admissions, Stanford GSB, webinar

The post Get Accepted To Stanford GSB—Webinar On Demand! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Sustainability, Ross MBA, And The Erb Institute: Business As A Force F [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Sustainability, Ross MBA, And The Erb Institute: Business As A Force For Good

Sustainability is the wave of the future, and leading the way is Michigan Ross and specifically the Erb Institute.

This week, we invited Diana Economy, Senior Associate Director of Admissions at University of Michigan Ross and Terry Nelidov, Managing Director of the Erb Institute for Global Sustainable Enterprise to tell us more about Michigan Ross, Erb, and how to get accepted to both.

Listen to the show!

00:02:31 – A quick glance at the Ross 2-year MBA program.

00:06:06 – About the Erb Institute and the dual-degree program.

00:10:59 – Where Erb Institute grads are making an impact.

00:12:20 – Rolling water in India: An exciting Erb alum project.

00:15:12 – What some cool Ross MBAs are up to.

00:17:30 – Analyzing the Ross admission requirements: What the program is looking for and what applicants do wrong.

00:20:46 – Calculus – still a must at Ross?

00:21:50 – GMAT vs. GRE rumors and facts.

00:24:04 – How to make your application come alive.

00:26:45 – What the Erb Institute is looking for in applicants.

00:28:57 – Does past experience matter for Erb applicants?

00:34:50 – The optional team exercise (and why its optional).

00:36:51 – Final words of advice for applicants.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com

Related Links:

Michigan Ross 2016 MBA Essay Tips & DeadlinesRoss MBA Application Requirements and DeadlinesAdmissions Director BlogErb Institute

Erb Strategic Plan 2015-20Erb Videos & PodcastsErb Perspective Blog

Michigan Ross MAP

Michigan Ross Application RequirementsMichigan Ross Team Exercise

Related shows:

MBAs Across America: Entrepreneurs with a HeartHow To Earn A Spot On Team Fuqua

The Admissions Team at the Very Center of Business

It’s MBA Season: Do You Know Where Your Applications Are?

Leave a Review for Admissions Straight Talk:

https://www.stitcher.com/s?fid=34489&refid=stpr

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Michigan Ross, podcast

The post Sustainability, Ross MBA, And The Erb Institute: Business As A Force For Good appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
HURRY! 5 Weeks Until HBS’s R1 Deadline [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: HURRY! 5 Weeks Until HBS’s R1 Deadline

Harvard Business School’s Round 1 deadline is on September 9th – are you ready to rock those applications?

The following resources will help you navigate the windy road to an HBS admit:

1.  Harvard 2016 MBA Essay Tips – Read up on expert advice on how to approach the Harvard essay question, as well as pointers on putting together your post-interview reflections.

2.  Harvard looks for three qualities in its applicants: Habit of Leadership, Analytical Aptitude and Appetite, and Engaged Community Citizenship. Do you possess these traits? Explore these attributes here and learn how to demonstrate them in your application.

3.  A Window into Life at Harvard Business School – In this interview, Tim, a current HBS student, shares stories and thoughts on Harvard’s recruiting season, the FIELD program, and what surprised him most about HBS.

4.  Life as an HBS MBA Student – Listen to this podcast episode with guest Philip Blackett, a member of the Harvard MBA class of 2016, who tells of his successful reapplication journey, as well as details about the ins and outs of life at Harvard.

5.  Get Accepted to Harvard – View this webinar for a full hour’s worth of Harvard-specific application advice with a focus on four key principles that will help you wow the HBS adcom. **Updated for 2015-2016 applicants!

For one-on-one assistance on your HBS application, be sure to check out our MBA Application Packages – A-Z assistance on your entire HBS application, at a flat rate.

Related Resources:

• Application Timing: When Should You Submit? [Podcast]

• MBA Maze: Application Timing

• MBA Round 1 Timeline

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions

The post HURRY! 5 Weeks Until HBS’s R1 Deadline appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Interested In Impact: A Talk With Wharton Student Jenna Gebel [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Interested In Impact: A Talk With Wharton Student Jenna Gebel

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Jenna Gebel, a second-year MBA student at Wharton.

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? Where are you currently in school and what year?

Jenna: Originally from New Jersey, I’ve been an east coast girl all of my life. I went to undergrad at University of Maryland where I focused on marketing and international business. Currently I’m getting my MBA at Wharton and am set to graduate in 2016.

Accepted: Why did you choose Wharton? How is it the best fit program for you?

Jenna: When I decided that I wanted to go to business school, I would have never guessed that I would end up at Wharton. I’m very interested in social enterprise so I looked at schools with strong programs in that area like Harvard, Kellogg and Duke. I was really surprised that when I went to visit these schools, none of them felt like the right fit.

Wharton was the best fit for me because I loved the amount of effort they were putting into their social impact initiatives. This has given me the chance to lead and develop new projects rather than simply participate. For example, I helped launch the school’s Women & Girls Initiative to explore business solutions that support females at the bottom of the pyramid. Plus, I find Wharton’s data-driven approach is balancing out my skillset since I am definitely a writer at heart.

Accepted: What’s your favorite class so far?

Jenna: I loved negotiations! No matter what I do in life, I know the lessons I learned in that class will be applicable. From negotiating my rent to pitching a new idea, I learned how to position my argument, understand others’ motivations and approach relationships with a shared value perspective.

Accepted: Can you tell us about your summer internship? What are you doing? What role did Wharton play in helping you secure this position?

Jenna: Currently I’m interning at the Office of Sustainability at Coca-Cola. It has been an amazing experience! This summer I am working on the EKOCENTER project, a Coca-Cola initiative that is empowering communities through social enterprise. EKOCENTERs are modularly designed kiosks that provide access to basic goods and services such as safe drinking water, solar power, health supplies and wireless connectivity.

Here is more information on my internship experience.

Accepted: We hear you’re working on an interesting project with fellow Accepted interviewee Mary Patton Davis – we’d love some details! How can our blog readers help?

Jenna: Yes! Business school is a whirlwind of an experience. People often talk about all the amazing experiences that MBA students have, but the reality is that it’s altogether stressful, social, lonely, stimulating and exhausting! Mary Patton and I wanted to create space for our classmates to pause, reflect and gut check our goals and ambitions for our internships, final year of business school and beyond. And the Wharton Wrap Up was born!

The first retreat was such a success that we are expanding the experience to all Penn graduate students in the fall – but we have a much bigger vision. We want to help more students and young professionals take a break from their hectic lives to connect with likeminded people, learn mindfulness tactics and find time to align their passions with their actions.

Wharton Wrap-Up

Given that the readers of Accepted.com are our target audience, we would love to hear from you! Please fill out this quick survey and let us know your thoughts so we can create the most exciting and useful experience to fit your needs.

Accepted: Looking back at the MBA admissions process, what would you say was your greatest challenge? How would you advise others who may be facing a similar challenge?

Jenna: Throughout the MBA admissions process, you will get advice and perspective from countless people. Everyone will have an idea on the best place for you to be and why. At the end of the day, it’s your choice and you need to follow your gut.

Plus, I think it’s important to hit the road and visit all the schools you are considering. As soon as I got to Philadelphia, I got this overwhelming sense that it was the place where I belonged. Even though some of my family and friends thought it was a nontraditional choice for me, I had a strong feeling it was the best place for me – and looking back, I know I made the right choice since I really listened to my instincts.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school application, please see our MBA Application Packages.

Thank you Jenna for sharing your story with us – we wish you loads of luck! (Jenna also maintains a blog with her mom on adult mother-daughter relationships called “My Mother, My Daughter, My Friend.” – check it out!)

Related Resources:

Wharton 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Understanding The Wharton Difference

• Global Business Leadership at Wharton’s Lauder Institute

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews, Wharton

The post Interested In Impact: A Talk With Wharton Student Jenna Gebel appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
6 Fatal Resume Flaws To Avoid [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: 6 Fatal Resume Flaws To Avoid

Don’t offer unnecessary information such as your weight or marital status

The MBA Resume: Done right, this one-to-two-page list of accomplishments can woo the adcoms towards acceptance; done wrong, a resume could be your ticket to ding-hood.

1. Don’t view your resume as an afterthought; it should not be your last priority.

Your resume provides an amazing opportunity to share a snapshot of your candidacy with the admissions committee. This is your chance to introduce yourself and leave a positive first impression.

2. Basic job descriptions just won’t cut it.

When top b-school adcoms quickly scan a resume (which is what they do at first), they’re looking for career progression. Even a list of the most impressive jobs won’t mean nearly as much to an adcom as a list of impressive jobs that show that a candidate has achieved goals, been promoted, and has generally made an impact on his or her surroundings.

3. Do not submit a job resume as part of your MBA application.

Your MBA resume should not include industry-specific or technical lingo that you might include on a resume for, say, an IT position. The details on your resume should be as accessible as possible to the widest circle of readers.

4. When formatting your resume, standards trump creativity.

Review the resume standards for your target school. Check out resources at the school’s career services department to find out how you should standardize your tenses, punctuation, and formatting. Don’t bold headings if your school-specific format doesn’t bold headings, for example.

5. Don’t offer information overload.

That means no SAT or GMAT scores, no high school education, and no references. The school will have all of that information from other parts of your application. Needless to say, date of birth, marital status, height, and weight should be excluded.

6. Don’t forget to edit.

A resume that hasn’t been spell-checked, grammar-checked, and reviewed by an extra set (or two) of eyes, will probably have errors, and therefore won’t make a very good first impression.

Need help perfecting your MBA admissions resume? Check out Accepted Resume Services and work one-on-one with an admissions expert to create a coherent, compelling admissions resume that will convince your target school’s adcom that they should keep reading.

Related Resources:

• Reminder for Your Resume [Short Video]

• Aligning Your Resume With Your Application Essays

• Write a Resume that is Readable, Impactful, and Unique

Tags: MBA Admissions, resume

The post 6 Fatal Resume Flaws To Avoid appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Financing Your INSEAD MBA [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Financing Your INSEAD MBA

I was lucky enough to get accepted to study at INSEAD 10 years ago. But before the great news I had spent at least 18 months preparing: from doing the GMAT, writing essays, deciding which school to go to, and determining how to finance this unique and life changing experience. I probably spent the least amount of time on the financing point, but in the end it was the most important.

Here are a few recommendations to keep in mind when financing your MBA:

The first recommendation is that whatever you expect to spend on your MBA, you are going to spend at least 30% more on your living expenses, and other expenses that come up. Of course, I wanted to make the most of the experience, and every MBA program, including INSEAD’s, has more activities than anyone can imagine going to. And it’s very tough to say “no” to them due to lack of savings. So tip 1: save at least an extra $5,000 for “travel expenses” per year.

The second recommendation is to evaluate the financial difference between a 1 year and 2 year MBA program. It is not only the opportunity cost of not working and making money, but the 2 year MBA is normally 50%-100% more expensive due to cost of living and 2 years of tuition. Choosing a 1 year MBA like INSEAD was not a conscious decision on my part but I’m glad I decided on it in the end. There is a trend around the world for more 1 year MBAs because of this reason.

The third and most important recommendation is to look for other sources of funding aside from a loan – a few options include:

1.  Scholarships (there are a lot more per country than you may think. In Spain, there are at least 8 organizations that give scholarships)

2.  Ask family and friends for donations or savings

3.  Crowdsource your MBA experience

4.  Get a side job for extra money

I started with the 4th option and managed to save a worthwhile extra amount for INSEAD. Three months before starting the program, I got lucky and got an amazing scholarship from Fundacion Rafael del Pino in Spain for my studies.

Finally, I encourage you to look at what others are doing around you, search on blogs and forums, be creative, and most importantly: if you are set on doing an MBA, with a little bit of discipline and structure, you can save for the future.

Ricardo is Prodigy Finance’s Head of Business Development. He got his MBA from INSEAD in 2006. After his MBA, he worked in management consulting for 8 years before shifting his focus to consult for startup companies in the Fintech space. He joined the Prodigy Finance team in 2014.

Related Resources:

• MBA Admissions A-Z: 26 Terrific Tips [Free Guide]

• INSEAD Essay 3: Writing About Cultural Diversity

• The Money will Sort Itself Out: IV with a Future INSEAD Student

Tags: Financial Aid, INSEAD, MBA Admissions

The post Financing Your INSEAD MBA appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar… [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar…
If you are applying to Wharton – then you’ll want to tune in on Wednesday, August 19, 2015 for our Get Accepted To Wharton webinar.

Access winning tips that put you ahead of your competition including the 4 key strategies you need to get accepted and advice for your team-based discussion!

Don’t get left behind – reserve your spot for Get Accepted to Wharton now!

Tags: MBA Admissions, webinar, Wharton

The post Seats Running Out For Our Wharton Webinar… appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Progra [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program

Today, everyone working anywhere can directly or indirectly identify a global dimension to their work.

My previous posts on defining your fit with Wharton addressed three of the four components of “The Wharton Difference” (Largest Global Network, Culture of Engagement, and Innovative Leadership Learning).  Here I’ll look at the fourth, final component: Global Opportunities.

BUT… you might think, all top MBA programs have a global dimension; why is it part of The Wharton Difference?

The answer lies in how those specific opportunities align with the other three components by emphasizing connection, growth through experience, sharing/collaboration, and exploration.  This is evident in the following phrases:

• The Global Opportunities prepare you for “an interconnected world.”

• You will “immerse yourself” in local cultures and business approaches.

• You will “extend” your experience to your classmates as part of a “global community.”

The bolded words above reveal the adcom’s distinct lens on the global dimension:  its global resources start with you connecting with other people and groups to understand and eventually impact global business holistically.

BUT… What if your goals don’t include global enterprise?  Perhaps you plan to launch an IT initiative in a region of the U.S. where coal mining is dying.  Perhaps you plan to develop strategy for domestic healthcare provider chains.  In the first case, other countries, e.g. Poland, face the same challenge; perhaps there’s a prospective global collaboration on the horizon!  In the second case, perhaps learning from countries with different healthcare systems would give you fresh ideas to adapt.

Today, everyone working anywhere can directly or indirectly identify a global dimension to their work.  If it’s not immediately obvious, think further, and you will surely discern how it’s so in your own situation.

To demonstrate fit with Wharton, portray the “Global Opportunities” component in your application:

•  Familiarize yourself with both the academic opportunities (majors, Global Modular Courses, Global Immersion Program, and Global Consulting Practicum, and exchange programs) and the extracurricular opportunities (conferences, International Volunteer Program, and Global Career Treks), decide which ones best meet your needs, and discuss how and why in your essay and interview.

•  In your essay and interview, as appropriate, include anecdotes and examples about global experiences and the human, cultural, and values-oriented factors beyond the hard facts and numbers (you can include non-business experiences if relevant, even interactions with colleagues from other countries/cultures if you don’t have firsthand international experience).

•  In your resume and application form, mention activities with a global or international element.

Related Resources:

• Understanding The Wharton Difference

• Interested In Impact: A Talk With Wharton Student Jenna Gebel

The post Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Program appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

GMAT Club Bot
Global Opportunities: The “Wharton Difference” And Fit With The Progra [#permalink]
   1  ...  25   26   27   28   29  ...  122