Last visit was: 27 Jul 2024, 06:11 It is currently 27 Jul 2024, 06:11
Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Send PM
Five Killer GRE Tips Webinar Available for Download [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Five Killer GRE Tips Webinar Available for Download

Our recent webinar with Magoosh GRE expert Chris Lele was a huge success! If you missed it, it’s not too late—it’s available for viewing or download now. Watch it today!

Tags: Grad School Admissions, GRE, Magoosh, MBA Admissions, webinar

The post Five Killer GRE Tips Webinar Available for Download appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
A Groundbreaking $100 Million Gift For Cornell Tech [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: A Groundbreaking $100 Million Gift For Cornell Tech

At a groundbreaking ceremony on June 16, Cornell Tech announced a $100 million gift from Bloomberg Philanthropies that will help fund the construction of the campus. The first academic building on the new campus will be named the Bloomberg Center, honoring Emma and Georgina Bloomberg, the daughters of former NY mayor Michael Bloomberg.

Cornell Tech is a partnership between Cornell and the Technion-Israel Institute of Technology, aimed at promoting high-tech entrepreneurship in New York City. In 2011, Cornell and the Technion won a bid to create an applied sciences institution on Roosevelt Island to foster high tech innovation in New York City.

The campus currently occupies temporary space in Manhattan. The new campus—the first phase of which is slated for completion in 2017—will house approximately 2000 graduate students and hundreds of faculty and staff on Roosevelt Island. The design of the buildings has already garnered attention and praise for innovation and sustainability.

At Cornell Tech, the Jacobs Technion-Cornell Institute promotes innovation in key areas, including Connective Media, Health Tech and the Built Environment.  They also offer an entrepreneurially-focused post-doc program for recent Ph.D.s who are interested in launching their own startups—the Runway Program. Cornell Tech offers degrees in conjunction with Cornell’s Engineering School and its Johnson Graduate School of Management.

Related Resources:

A Conversation about Cornell Tech NYC with Dr. Douglas Stayman

Verizon Donates $50 Million to Cornell Tech

• Cornell Tech Student Interview: Where CS Meets the MBA

Tags: Cornell, Cornell Johnson, Cornell Tech, Grad School Admissions, MBA Admissions

The post A Groundbreaking $100 Million Gift For Cornell Tech appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

This Blog post was imported into the forum automatically. We hope you found it helpful. Please use the Kudos button if you did, or please PM/DM me if you found it disruptive and I will take care of it. -BB
Send PM
Around The Word At MIT Sloan [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Around The Word At MIT Sloan

This interview is the latest in an Accepted.com blog series featuring interviews with current MBA students, offering readers a behind-the-scenes look at top MBA programs. And now for a chat with Kate Agnew, a student at MIT Sloan….

Accepted: We’d like to get to know you! Where are you from? Where and what did you study as an undergrad? What are your hobbies? Favorite TV show?

Kate: I was born and raised in Minnesota and lived there right up until I moved to Boston for business school. I went to Macalester College for my undergrad, where I studied mathematics and also got an environmental studies minor. Outside of school, I almost entirely allow myself to be consumed by TV and movies. I’m a big fan of superheroes and action movies as a whole, and watch most of the major hit TV shows. Scandal, Walking Dead, Criminal Minds, Longmire, Orange is the New Black, Arrow, and Covert Affairs just to name a few…

Accepted: Congrats on finishing your first year at MIT Sloan! What were some of the most challenging and rewarding parts of your first year of b-school? Is there anything that you would change?

Kate: Contrary to what some students like to tell perspective students, business school is really hard. I was only out of school for 3 years and still found it hard to jump back into the groove of things. I had little exposure to economics before, so I found that subject to be especially difficult. There is also always something to do, so prioritizing my time was hard but extremely important.

So far, the most rewarding experience has been participating in The Yarn, which is a monthly event at Sloan where select students share stories from their lives. It was one of the few times I really allowed myself to be vulnerable to such a large group of people in person. I was proud of myself for having the courage to do it, but was also really encouraged by the feedback I received from my peers afterwards. If my story can help even just one other person, it is all worth it. This is why I write as honestly as I do.

Accepted: I see that you’ve had the opportunity to travel a good deal this year. What have those experiences been like, and what have you learned?

Kate: One piece of advice I received my first week of orientation was to write down my 5 goals for business school and to use that when prioritizing my time. My goals were: travel internationally, explore the entertainment industry, decide between entertainment and consulting, engage in empowering women in business, and make strong social connections (in this order). Because of my goal to travel more, I have taken advantage of every travel opportunity that has presented itself.

First I went to Turkey. A small group of Sloan students spent a weekend in Istanbul during the fall, solely because flights were cheap (less than $500 round trip!). Turkey really allowed me to see that things outside of the US are not always as they seem. I was so surprised to find that the city was more… European… than what I expected when traveling to a country in the Middle East. It was also an experience that reminded me how unbelievably fortunate I am. I saw mothers of infants who fled from Syria and were living on the streets with their children. It was heartbreaking.

This Spring I enrolled in a class titled China Lab that allowed me to work on a small consulting project with a partner from MIT and two from Yunnan University. It was different from any other travel experience I’ve had in that it allowed me to see the business side of the country. Corruption is extremely prevalent there and it is concerning how many of the business decisions are made while people are completely intoxicated. Additionally, I saw literally hundreds of skyscrapers being built that still have no plans for tenants. It feels like an economy built on vaporware, or a false expectation of growth. China’s economy plays such a huge role globally and supports so much of the economy of the United States that these issues cannot be ignored.

Most recently I spent 10 days in Israel. On the way there, I had a 12 hour layover in Amsterdam and got to explore the city. It was my first time in a new country all alone and it was quite a liberating experience. I went to the Van Gogh museum and took more selfies than one should in a day.

Israel itself was surreal. In so many ways it is very similar to the United States, especially Tel Aviv where we went clubbing and shopping. I had the opportunity to visit their air force base as well, and it was inspiring to see how much pride everyone has for their country, in part because of their required military service. I seriously left wanting to join the Israeli Army, but I do have a tendency to be easily influenced. Later, we went ATVing about 100 yards from the Syrian “border” (it is really a cease-fire line) and even explored a building that used to be the Syrian Military Headquarters. All of a sudden everything I had read about online or heard on the news was right in front of me… I will definitely think differently of these events moving forward.

Accepted: Your blog covers a lot of topics- from b-school, to work, to more personal writing (and thoughts on the process of writing itself). I can tell you take writing seriously! How did you decide to blog about your experience? What have you gained from the experience?

Kate: Growing up, I felt very alone. I thought I was the only one who had a difficult childhood. Once I got older, I realized my past wasn’t all that unique. I began reading stories of other childhoods, books such as Angela’s Ashes by Frank McCourt and Running with Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. They provided me a lot of comfort. I saw that I could be successful and craft my own future; my past didn’t have to dictate who I would become. It also inspired me to begin writing. I figured that if some stories helped me growing up, potentially my stories could help others. The drive behind my writing is really helping others feel connected and less alone.

Additionally, writing has given me the opportunity to deeply reflect on things and to become more open and comfortable with who I am. There are still things about me that are unique, and I’ve been able to embrace these attributes rather than shy away from them. It is still a work in progress though.

Accepted: Can you share some advice to incoming first year students, to help make their adjustment to b-school easier? What do you wish you would’ve known when you were starting out?

Kate: Business school feels more like high school than it should. While in some ways this can be frustrating, it is also refreshing. Everyone has gone through high school and most cases college as well. By applying those same skills both socially and academically, b-school can feel more approachable. Your reputation will be extremely important, but don’t worry too much about what people think about petty things.

Accepted: Do you have any advice for our b-school applicant readers?

Kate: Deeply consider how business school will help you grow and why that growth is important for who you want to be. Because I’m interested in entertainment, b-school wasn’t a requirement for my career. However, I am a first generation college student and have spent a lot of time mentoring younger girls and encouraging them to seek higher education. I felt that having a master’s degree would enhance my ability to be a strong role model and giving back to the community is very important to me.

For one-on-one guidance on your b-school applications, please see our MBA Application Packages

To read more about Kim’s b-school journey, please check out her blog, Kate’s a Cliche. Thank you Kate for sharing your story with us! 

Related Resources:

Why MBA? [Free Guide]

• It’s MBA Season: Do You Know Where Your Applications Are? [Podcast]

• Hone Your MBA Goals [Short Video]

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Student Interviews, Med student blogger, MIT Sloan

The post Around The Word At MIT Sloan appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Georgetown McDonough 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Georgetown McDonough 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines

Georgetown McDonough, the top MBA program at the intersection of business and government, takes advantage of its Washington D.C. location, its connections to the greater Georgetown University community, and its Jesuit roots while at the same time focusing on the global nature of twenty-first century business.  Your application should show that you need the education provided by McDonough to achieve your goals and that you wholeheartedly embrace its values.

Essay:

Create your essays in separate documents and upload them into the appropriate application fields. Please adhere to word limits, and label each page with your name. Re-applicants will be prompted to submit a specific essay question. Dual degree applicants and Georgetown MBA re-applicants will be prompted to submit specific essay questions.

(Essays should be double-spaced using a 12-point font.)

1. Why You? (Hint: we are looking for an answer that cannot be found from research on our website) (750 words or fewer)

This question is all about fit. It is an attempt by Georgetown to learn about you and why you think you belong at Georgetown and why Georgetown should admit you.  Georgetown wants to see how you think and come to a major decision. It also wants you to make a coherent case for your own acceptance to McDonough.

There are lots of different ways to approach this essay. Clearly you shouldn’t spit back the McDonough web site. If you can, talk to current students about the culture and distinctive elements of the program to gain a deeper understanding of it. You also need to reflect on the reasons Georgetown should choose you? While your reasons for wanting to attend are a factor, the big question will be what do you intend to contribute. What will you add?

You could start with a highly influential experience that molded your decision to pursue an MBA, go into more depth about what you hope to achieve and why you believe Georgetown is the best place for you to achieve it.

Alternatively, you could start with a day in the future where you attain your goal and then circle back to discuss the development of that goal and McDonough’s role in helping you achieve it. You can also discuss how you intend to contribute to McDonought’s community.

In short, why should McDonough accept you? How will you make the school proud that they did?

Optional Essays:

1. If you are not currently employed full-time, use this essay to provide information about your current activities. (250 words or fewer)

Show them that you are using this period of unemployment to acquire new skills, contribute to your community, or grow in some way.

2. Please provide any information that you would like to add to your application that you have not otherwise included. (500 words or fewer)

Please see “The Optional Essay: To Be or Not to Be.

Re-Applicant Essay:

How have you strengthened your candidacy since your last application? We are particularly interested in hearing about how you have grown professionally and personally. (500 words or fewer)

This is a key question (whether asked explicitly or not) for all reapplicantsto any MBA program. What has changed? How are you “new and improved” since last year — when you were rejected? Georgetown does you the favor of providing this explicit prompt so you can address this question while retaining the ability to address the main essay.

If you would like professional guidance with your Georgetown McDonough School MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Georgetown McDonough MBA application.

Georgetown McDonough 2016 MBA Application Deadlines:

Application Deadline
Decision Notification

Round 1
 October 1, 2015
 December 15, 2015

Round 2
 January 5, 2016
 March 20, 2016

Round 3
 April 1, 2016
 May 15, 2016

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools
Related Resources:

2016 MBA Application Essay Tips

Optional Essays: When and How to Write Them [Short Video]

The Georgetown McDonough MBA: Everything You Need to Know

Tags: 2016 MBA Application, Georgetown McDonough, MBA Admissions

The post Georgetown McDonough 2016 MBA Essay Tips & Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Future Harvard Business School MBAs – Tune In On Tuesday! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Future Harvard Business School MBAs – Tune In On Tuesday!
You have just a couple days until our webinar, Get Accepted to Harvard Business School, airs live. If you plan on applying to Harvard Business School or another top-tier MBA program, then you’ll want to make sure you catch the important advice that Linda will cover in Get Accepted to Harvard Business School.

The webinar will take place Tuesday, June 23rd, at 5:00 PM/8:00 PM ET. [Please note: The June 24th 10:00 AM PT and the 5:00 PM PT sessions are now completely FULL.]

See you there!

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, webinar

The post Future Harvard Business School MBAs – Tune In On Tuesday! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
MBA Admissions: Letters of Recommendation [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Admissions: Letters of Recommendation

The best letters of recommendation come from people who have seen you perform.

“MBA Admissions: Letters of Recommendation” is the latest post in our series, Navigate the MBA Maze.

The best letters of recommendation come from people who have seen you perform. The weakest letters are of the “character reference” variety (from the clergy member who knows you only as a person who dozes during weekly services) or the VIP genre (from influential people like your mother’s college roommate’s sister, who is on an admissions committee). In both cases, the recommender barely knows you. A letter need not be lengthy to be effective, and the writer need not have known you since grade school. A letter from an immediate supervisor who describes your work and rates your performance as much stronger than that of other employees in similar positions, tells an admissions committee something significant about you.

It’s important to avoid repetition and duplication in your letters. “Only one recommendation per single source” is a good rule of thumb. Each letter should highlight a different facet of you and your accomplishments and, ideally, present you from a different vantage point. If you have a job in which you report to more than one person, don’t ask each person for a letter. Ask one of them and then ask another supervisor from a different project or a previous position.

Last but not least, request your letters in person whenever possible, and give each recommender a copy of your resume and your personal statement. Ask the person if s/he is able to write you a strong letter, and offer to provide any additional material the person requests.

Related Resources:

• Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes [Free Guide]

• MBA Letters Of Recommendation

• Recommenders And Recommendations

Image Designed by Freepik

Tags: Letters of Recommendation, MBA Admissions, Navigate The MBA Maze

The post MBA Admissions: Letters of Recommendation appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
How To Write About Overcoming Challenges Without Sounding Like A Whine [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: How To Write About Overcoming Challenges Without Sounding Like A Whiner

Just state the facts – they speak for themselves.

It’s a classic MBA essay question: Write about a time when you overcame a challenge. How did you handle it? What did you learn from the experience?

Let’s start by easing one worry you may have. Not everyone has faced a significant challenge at work by the time they apply for an MBA. If that is your situation, think of another significant challenge you have faced in another realm: a community or volunteer organization, the military, or perhaps even a difficult personal situation. It’s important that the challenge be something in the recent past – preferably within the last two or three years. If the challenge you write about is farther back than that, it will need to have that much greater impact or significance.

What makes a good “challenge” for the purpose of this essay? The possibilities are almost limitless, but here are a few strong examples:

•  “Joe’s” boss informed him he was going to fire “Freddy,” a new-hire Joe had been mentoring, for poor performance. Joe believed in Freddy’s technical skills, and felt Freddy’s shyness and lack of English fluency had hurt him. Joe took it upon himself to try to help save Freddy’s job. He convinced his boss to give Freddy another chance, and coached him after-hours, directed him to a language fluency program, and engaged in role playing to help Freddy gain confidence. Freddy began to thrive, kept his job, and became the go-to guy in his department for certain technical knowledge.

At no time did Joe complain about his boss or call him unreasonable or insensitive. At no time did Joe play the martyr, patting himself on the back about the extra steps he was taking to work with Freddy. He just stated the facts about what he did, which spoke for themselves.

•  Here’s another example. “Lori” joined a community service organization whose membership was plummeting. Lori believed in the organization’s goals, volunteered to spearhead a membership drive, which was successful, and then ran for president of the organization and won. Then, she worked to create more dynamic programming, a social media presence, and added appealing incentives for people joining or renewing membership.

Joe made a huge impact on one man, and by extension, an impact on his organization. Lori also was able to show direct and tangible impact on her group. Neither Joe nor Lori made themselves out to be heroes by describing their exhaustion because of long hours spent on their respective “projects.” They didn’t pat themselves on the back for the contributions they made. They simply stated the circumstances, why they believed in their mission, and related what they did to fix what was wrong around them. Presenting their stories in a “just the facts, Ma’m” manner make Lori and Joe sound like exciting management material: filled with vision, creativity, incentive, and energy. And it is succinct.

•  Let’s look at one final example. “Gary” had written a marketing plan to boost awareness and fundraising at the non-profit where he worked. His CEO at first approved his plan, then suddenly nixed it, replacing it with his own plan. Gary was sure the CEO’s plan was not viable. It lacked a marketing budget yet had lofty target goals for fundraising. The CEO gave Gary six months to achieve these goals.

Now that’s a challenge.

When Gary couldn’t get the CEO to reconsider, he appealed to others in the organization who had the CEO’s ear. Fortunately, they were willing to speak to the CEO, who then agreed to Gary’s original plan. Now, based on the first few examples we’ve seen, you will already have guessed that in this case, Gary did not complain about the CEO, call him short-sighted or stingy. He did offer some explanations for why the CEO might have seen the situation as he did, but nothing pejorative was written.

Gary’s workaround to his challenging situation showed boldness, initiative, and perseverance. At no time did he complain about the added workload of having to unravel this situation, or make himself sound like he had saved the day.

Let’s recap: A strong “challenge” example will allow you to show direct impact on either your organization or another individual. Ideally, it will be something that happened in the last two or three years, unless it was a monumental achievement. Finally, do not cast blame on others who may have helped create the problem/challenge in the first place, and do not sound like a martyr in describing the efforts (no matter how great) you made to get the job done. Simple, direct writing about the challenge will make it abundantly clear that you have the initiative, problem solving, communications, and organizational skills a good MBA program looks for.

By Judy Gruen, MBA admissions consultant since 1996 and author (with Linda Abraham) of MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business SchoolsThe Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes

• Writing About Overcoming Obstacles in Your Application Essays

Selling Yourself Short?

Tags: MBA Admissions

The post How To Write About Overcoming Challenges Without Sounding Like A Whiner appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Venture For America: Champion Of U.S. Entrepreneurship [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Venture For America: Champion Of U.S. Entrepreneurship

Entrepreneurship among 18 – 30 year olds in the USA is at a 24 year low, but the founder of Venture for America, is on a mission to spur economic growth through entrepreneurship.

Listen to our talk with Andrew Yang, Venture for America’s founder, for great insights into the state of entrepreneurship today, the case for why you should become an entrepreneur (and not a management consultant), and more.

00:02:14 – What is Venture for America?

00:04:20 – The story of how Venture for America came to be.

00:06:35 – How to create 100,000 jobs by 2025.

00:09:00 – Becoming a Venture for America fellow.

00:11:04 – What VFA Fellows do after boot camp.

00:14:27 – A look at where grads of the program end up.

00:19:20 – Chickpea pasta: A Venture for America success story.

00:22:18 – What inspired Andrew to write Smart People Should Build Things.

00:23:34 – Society aside, what is the benefit of becoming an entrepreneur to the individual.

00:28:45 – Do entrepreneurs need business school?

00:30:30 – Why the best and brightest should be kept out of consulting.

00:35:17 – Advice for making the transition from the corporate world to the start-up world.

00:37:20 – The definition of entrepreneurship and what it takes to be an entrepreneur.

*Theme music is courtesy of podcastthemes.com

Related links:

• Venture for Americahttps://ventureforamerica.org/• Smart People Should Build Things: How to Restore Our Culture of Achievement, Build a Path for Entrepreneurs, and Create New Jobs in AmericaSmart People Should Build Things: The Venture for America Podcast• The MBA and EntrepreneurshipWhich B-Schools Send the Most Grads into Entrepreneurship?

Related shows:

• Jon Medved & OurCrowd: The Remarkable Story of an Entrepreneur• A Wharton Grad Rids the World of Bank Fees• An HBS Entrepreneur Promoting Career Flexibility• Entrepreneurship at UCLA Anderson• Entrepreneurship at Stanford GSB: Carlypso Drives Down the Startup Street

• A B-School Professor on Main Street, USA• MBAs Across America: Entrepreneurs with a Heart

Leave a Review for Admissions Straight Talk:

Tags: Admissions Straight Talk, College Admissions, entrepreneurship, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, podcast

The post Venture For America: Champion Of U.S. Entrepreneurship appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Approaching The Diversity Essay Question [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Approaching The Diversity Essay Question

Explain how your experiences built your character.

Many applications now have a question, sometimes optional, geared to encouraging people with minority backgrounds or unusual educational or family histories to write about their background.  If you are an immigrant to the US, the child of immigrants or someone whose ethnicity is a minority in the US, you might find this question an interesting one to show how your background will add to the mix of perspectives at the program you are applying to. If you are applying after having an unusual experience for applicants like joining the military, becoming part of a dance troupe, or caring for an elderly relative, you can use your experience to evoke the way in which you will bring diversity to campus.

Your family’s culture, situation and traditions, and the way they have helped you develop particular character and personality traits are of interest, as well unusual experiences that have shaped you. Perhaps you have grown up with a strong insistence on respecting elders, attending family events or learning your parents’ native language and culture. Perhaps you are close to grandparents and extended family who have taught you how teamwork can help everyone survive. Perhaps you have had to face and deal with difficulties that stem from your parents’ values being in conflict with those of your peers. Perhaps teachers have not always understood the elements of your culture or outside-of-school situation and how they pertain to your school performance. Perhaps you have suffered discrimination and formed your values and personality traits around your success in spite of the discrimination. Perhaps you have learned skills from a lifestyle that is outside the norm–living in foreign countries as the child of diplomats or contractors, performing professionally in theater, dance, music or sports, or communicating with a deaf sibling.

Understanding and explaining how your experience built your empathy for others, a strong will, and character is a good focus for the diversity question.

Related Resources:

• The Quick Guide to Admissions Resumes [Free Guide]

Writing About Overcoming Obstacles in Your Application Essays [Short Video]

• How To Write About Overcoming Challenges Without Sounding Like A Whiner

Tags: Admissions Consulting, College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions, personal statement

The post Approaching The Diversity Essay Question appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Dartmouth Tuck 2016 MBA Essay Tips And Deadlines [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Dartmouth Tuck 2016 MBA Essay Tips And Deadlines

The Dartmouth Tuck adcom is interested in learning about what you as an individual, a businessperson, and a leader can contribute to Tuck’s small, close-knit program. Use your essays as a platform for expressing your earnest desire to enter the world of management and to make a difference. 

I strongly recommend Tuck applicants read “The MBA Gatekeeper To Dartmouth’s Tuck School of Business,” Poets and Quants interview with Dawna Clarke, Director of Admissions at Tuck. The article is a couple of years old, but still worth reading if you are applying to Tuck. I also recommend you review Dartmouth’s six evaluation criteria for admission.

Tuck tweaked its Essay #1 and #2, but the optional is unchanged.

Tuck provides length guidelines, not limits.  That “encouragement” and gentle suggestion gives you a little leeway. Please don’t make the mistake of abusing that typical Tuck friendliness. It is an opportunity for you to show judgment and consideration of your reader by still being succinct.

Accepted has been helping applicants to Tuck gain acceptance for roughly 20 years. Explore our services to learn more about how we can help you prepare your Tuck MBA application.

Essays:

Please respond fully but concisely to the following essay questions. There are no right or wrong answers. We encourage applicants to limit the length of their responses to 500 words for each essay. Please double-space your responses.

1. What are your short- and long-term goals? Why do you need an MBA to achieve those goals? Why are you interested in Tuck specifically?

I’ve said it before, and I’ll say it again: The MBA is a means to an end, not an end in itself. That’s why Tuck (and many other schools) ask question like this one. Tuck wants to know that it can help you achieve your goal.  So clearly you have to have both short- and long-term goals to respond to the question.  And then you need to explain how an MBA will help you realize those goals and finally, why Tuck is the best place to do so.

You have to know  Tuck as well as your goals to respond effectively to this question. Why do you want a small, tight-knit program in rural New Hampshire? Why do you want a program that stresses the integration of business functions?  Which of Tuck’s strengths appeal to you? How will they help you achieve your goals?

2. Tell us about your most meaningful leadership experience and what role you played. How will that experience contribute to the learning environment at Tuck?

This question reflects the importance Tuck, like many MBA programs, places on leadership, and Tuck really wants to see you as a leader.

Have you chaired  a fundraiser that raised a record amount of money? Have you been a board member for a not-for-profit organization? Have you captained a sports team that led your company league? Have you been a team lead on a project that came in early and under budget? Are you the head of a sales team who empowered other members of your team in a way that greatly contributed to the success of that initiative? These could all be examples of leadership. How did you motivate your teammates? Tell the story of that event.

Then, how will your leadership style and the lessons learned through this experience enable you to contribute? Tuck treasures its close-knit, collaborative culture and values teamwork.  How does this experience reveal about you and how you will interact with the MBA community at Dartmouth. In answering the last question, don’t fall into the trap of answering “What do they want to hear?” What do you most want them to know?

3. (Optional) Please provide any additional insight or information that you have not addressed elsewhere that may be helpful in reviewing your application (e.g., unusual choice of evaluators, weaknesses in academic performance, unexplained job gaps or changes, etc.). Complete this question only if you feel your candidacy is not fully represented by this application.

It is almost impossible for two (or even three) 500-word essays plus a bunch of boxes, a transcript, and a GMAT score to represent fully the uniqueness and talents of a truly impressive candidate. That comment has nothing to do with writing style and everything to do with the complexity of accomplished human beings. In my opinion this “optional essay”  is optional in name only.

At the same time, don’t waste the reader’s time by writing a meaningless, superficial “grand finale” or summary. Don’t repeat what can be found elsewhere.

4. (To be completed by all reapplicants) How have you strengthened your candidacy since you last applied? Please reflect on how you have grown personally and professionally.

Straightforward MBA reapplication question. It is critical that every reapplicant be able to answer it for every school they are reapplying to: What has changed that would compel Tuck to admit you this year?

If you would like professional guidance with your Dartmouth Tuck MBA application, please consider Accepted’s MBA essay editing and MBA admissions consulting or our  MBA Application Packages, which include advising, editing, interview coaching, and a resume edit for the Dartmouth Tuck application.

Dartmouth Tuck 2016 Application Deadlines:

Round
Due Date
Decisions Released

Early Action
October 7, 2015
December 17, 2015

November Round
November 4, 2015
February 12, 2016

January Round
January 6, 2016
March 11, 2016

April Round
April 4, 2016
May 13, 2016

By Linda Abraham, president and founder of Accepted.com and co-author of the new, definitive book on MBA admissions, MBA Admission for Smarties: The No-Nonsense Guide to Acceptance at Top Business Schools5 Fatal Flaws to Avoid in Your MBA Application Essays

Darmouth Tuck Zone Page

• School-Specific MBA Application Essay Tips

Tags: 2016 MBA Application, Dartmouth Tuck, MBA Admissions

The post Dartmouth Tuck 2016 MBA Essay Tips And Deadlines appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
LBS Launches New Finance Master’s For New Grads [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: LBS Launches New Finance Master’s For New Grads

LBS has announced a new master’s program in finance. The new Master’s in Financial Analysis (MFA) will be a 12-month intensive program aimed at recent graduates from quantitatively-focused fields, who want a rigorous grad program that will prepare them for careers in the finance sector.

The first class will begin the new program in the fall of 2016. The MFA curriculum will focus on six areas: Corporate Finance (including M&A and Capital Structure); Asset Management (incorporating topics such as credit markets, practical asset allocation, market efficiency and anomalies, liquidity, long-short investing or slow-moving capital); Accounting (focusing on Accounting and Securities Analysis and Valuations); Financial Markets (financial institutions, personal finance); Financial Econometrics; and Global Markets and World Economy.

Students will also develop their soft skills, such as communication, commitment, and commercial awareness. The program will balance coursework in London with international fieldtrips.

LBS’s Masters in Finance has been ranked number 1 by the Financial Times for five years running. Drawing on the school’s strengths, as well as the manifold advantages of studying in London, the new Masters in Financial Analysis program will provide an intensive, 1-year option for students near the beginning of their careers.

Related Resources:

London Business School Master’s in Finance Application Essay Tips

• Master in Finance: What You Need to Know

• The Facts About Financial Services

Tags: Grad School Admissions, London Business School, Masters in Finance, MBA Admissions

The post LBS Launches New Finance Master’s For New Grads appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
MBA Admissions: Preparing For The Interview [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: MBA Admissions: Preparing For The Interview

“MBA Admissions: Preparing For The Interview” is the latest post in our series Navigate the MBA Maze.

Here are three key tips on how to present yourself during those crucial face-to-face minutes.

1.  Structure Your Answers. Structure helps your interviewer see where you’re going with your answer and helps you remember where you’re going, too. So when they ask, “Why do you want to attend Harvard/Stanford/Kellogg?” don’t say, “Well, I was born in Florida in 1984, and . . .” Instead, lay out a clear structure: “There are three primary reasons why this school is my top choice: curriculum, culture, and community.” After providing the structure upfront, provide details for each reason you mention. Not every interview answer requires an upfront structure (some are more story-oriented), but use one for those that lend themselves to it. You’ll be glad you did.

2.  Project Confidence. Regardless of your general confidence level, do your best to clear your mind of doubt and believe that you deserve an offer. As you prepare for the interview remind yourself of your past achievements in challenging circumstances. And make sure your confidence doesn’t spill over into arrogance (“Well of course you should accept me because…”).

3.  Read Your Interviewer. Some are high-energy. Some aren’t. Some like humor. Some don’t. Some are by-the-book. Some won’t ask a single question you’ve practiced for. While you can’t prepare for every single type of interviewer, you can adjust your style a bit to match theirs. Though schools stress that they seek objective opinions from their interviewers, we all know the reality: a large factor in interview performance is likeability, and interviewers like candidates who remind them of themselves. An even simpler strategy is to pay attention to clear cues from your interviewer— if they’re yawning and looking at their watch, you’re probably being too long winded or need to use more compelling examples; if they’re asking probing questions for everything you say, try including more details in your initial answers.

If you are interested in individualized interview coaching or a mock interview, check out Accepted.com’s MBA interview assistance packages.

Related Resources:

• How To Ace Your MBA Interview [Free Guide]

• MBA Admissions Interviews: Behavioral AND Qualitative Questions [Short Video]

• MBA Interview Questions: Walk Me Through Your Resume

Tags: MBA Admissions, MBA Interview, Navigate The MBA Maze

The post MBA Admissions: Preparing For The Interview appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Get Accepted To Stanford GSB! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Get Accepted To Stanford GSB!
A beautiful campus in the heart of Silicon Valley. An entrepreneurial mindset. Gorgeous Northern California weather. All the cultural offerings of the SF Bay Area. And…you?

Will you be at Stanford GSB next year?

If you’re preparing to apply, don’t miss our upcoming webinar, Get Accepted to Stanford GSB!

Accepted.com’s founder and CEO, Linda Abraham, will teach you how to:

• Master the 4 key strategies for showing that you belong at Stanford.

• Apply those strategies in the different elements in Stanford’s 2015-2016 application.

…and much more!

The details:

Who: Anyone applying to Stanford GSB

When: Tuesday, July 21st at 10 AM PT/1:00 PM ET

Presented by: Linda Abraham, Accepted.com Founder & CEO

Register for Get Accepted to Stanford GSB now to boost your chances of joining the 7% of students who will be accepted at Stanford GSB!

Tags: MBA Admissions, Stanford GSB, webinar

The post Get Accepted To Stanford GSB! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Save 10%. Get Accepted. Smile. [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Save 10%. Get Accepted. Smile.
Hey b-school applicants – are you looking to save money this summer AND get one step closer to gaining acceptance to your top choice school?

Introducing Accepted’s SUPER Summer Sale – 10% off your choice of MBA services through Wednesday, July 15th.*

Not sure which service is best for you? Check out these options:

MBA Essay EditingMBA Application PackagesMBA Interview HelpMBA ResumesAdmissions Consulting

We look forward to helping you get into business school!

* Offer valid only on non-rush services and may not be combined with other offers.

Tags: 2016 MBA Application, MBA Admissions

The post Save 10%. Get Accepted. Smile. appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Snag Your Seat At Harvard Business School! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Snag Your Seat At Harvard Business School!
If you’re aiming to attend Harvard Business School in 2016, then you’ll want to check out our recent webinar, Get Accepted to Harvard Business School.

In her presentation, Linda Abraham, CEO & Founder of Accepted.com, offers important advice on how to gain a competitive edge to a top b-school in general, and Harvard Business School in particular.

View Get Accepted to Harvard Business School now!

Tags: Harvard Business School, MBA Admissions, webinar

The post Snag Your Seat At Harvard Business School! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Happy July 4th From Accepted! [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Happy July 4th From Accepted!

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Happy July 4th From Accepted! appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

Send PM
Accepted Consultant Publishes Her First Novella [#permalink]
Expert Reply
FROM Accepted.com Blog: Accepted Consultant Publishes Her First Novella

You already know that our consultants are admissions experts, eagle-eyed editors, and incredible coaches. You can probably also guess that they’re prodigiously talented in their lives outside of Accepted (we sure think so!). Here’s a case in point:

When she’s not helping clients get into law and med school, Jessica Pishko is a writer—and she just published her first novella!

Based on a death penalty trial that she worked on as a law student, A Trial for Grace explores the complicated question of guilt and innocence. It’s available for Kindle (and Kindle apps).

You can download A Trial for Grace here.

Related Resources:

• An Interview With Our Own: Jessica Pishko

• 5 Ways To Start Your Med School Personal Statement

• So You Didn’t Get Into Law School…

Tags: College Admissions, Grad School Admissions, Law School Admissions, MBA Admissions, Medical School Admissions

The post Accepted Consultant Publishes Her First Novella appeared first on Accepted Admissions Consulting Blog.

GMAT Club Bot
Accepted Consultant Publishes Her First Novella [#permalink]
   1  ...  23   24   25   26   27  ...  123