GMAT Question of the Day - Daily to your Mailbox; hard ones only

It is currently 15 Oct 2018, 18:58

Close

GMAT Club Daily Prep

Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.

Close

Request Expert Reply

Confirm Cancel

Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR

new topic post reply Update application status  
ARLee Consulting
S
Affiliations: Samsung Electronics HR Head | INSEAD Admissions Interviewer
INSEAD: MBA 11D
Concentration: Human Resources, Strategy
Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post Updated on: 17 Jun 2018, 23:09

Dear GMAT Club Members,

Thank you for stopping by this thread. At ARLee Consulting, we are very excited to join the GMAT Club Community, and we hope to be a valuable source of information and advice for all of you who are interested in getting accepted to a Top MBA Program.

Who are we?

My name is Alex Ruiz Lee, and I am an MBA graduate of INSEAD and the former Executive Director and Head of Human Resources of one of Samsung Electronics’ biggest subsidiaries worldwide with annual revenue of over US$2.0 billion dollars and more than 2,000 employees.

After 5 years between South Korea and Mexico, I decided to leave Samsung to set up my own consultancy firm, ARLee Consulting, where we help applicants just like you get accepted to the world's Top MBA Programs.

I started advising applicants right after graduating from INSEAD in 2012. At that time, it was more like a hobby while focusing on my career at Samsung. However, over the years, I found myself more and more interested in the admissions consulting world and realized it was the perfect job to complement my HR career: after all, one of the main focuses of HR is helping people advance in their careers, which is precisely what I do as admissions consultant.

While I am the lead consultant for most of our clients, and I always review all applications myself, when demand is high, and in order to guarantee maximum quality of service, I rely on my team of admissions consultants that I have personally trained. My consultants are graduates from the world’s Top MBA Programs, including M7, and come from various backgrounds, including MBB.

Why are we different?

(1) We put on our HR hats

Leveraging on my HR experience, we are able to look at admissions through the Recruiting Lens. Additionally, I am also able to offer Career Coaching as part of our services, which is particularly useful for those applicants with no clear post-MBA career goals.

(2) We provide really fast turnaround

We are able to provide really fast turnaround to our clients. Most of the time, our turnaround is just a few hours (sometimes even a few minutes!) and typically never goes beyond 12 hours.

(3) We are completely flexible

We adapt to your needs and budget. We are open to customize a package that best suits you.

Our Services:

We do not like counting hours so we offer all our services for a flat rate. At ARLee Consulting we always adapt to our clients' needs. Therefore, we are open to discuss about the service and fee that best suits your needs.

Our most successful product is the Comprehensive End-to-End School Package which includes all of the following services:

• End-to-End Coaching
  • Analysis and Planning
  • Review and Editing of Resume/CV, Essays and Letters of Recommendation
  • Interview Prep
  • Waitlist Strategy
  • Ding Analysis
  • Career Coaching (unique)

We are fully flexible, so we can completely customize a package to meet your needs and budget.

We also specialize in EMBA, MiM and any other graduate and undergraduate programs.

GET ACCEPTED!

Take the first step toward acceptance by reaching out to us at info@arleeconsulting.com and get a free evaluation.

Contact us and let's have a detailed discussion about your future!

Additional facts about me:

• Born in Barcelona in a multicultural family (Spanish dad and Korean mom)
  • Two undergrad degrees in Telecommunications Engineering (Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya) and Business (Universitat de Barcelona), and Msc in Telecommunications (New Jersey Institute of Technology – Magna Cum Laude)
  • Professional background includes Private Equity, IT & Management Consulting and Telecommunications
  • Worked and/or studied in the US, Mexico, Spain, France, Singapore, South Korea, Peru and Cambodia
  • Fluent in English, Spanish and Catalan, and conversant in Korean and French
  • Current Admissions Interviewer for INSEAD

Alex Ruiz Lee, INSEAD MBA'11D & Admissions Interviewer
ARLee Consulting - Founder and Managing Director
MBA Admissions & Career Coach
HR Executive Director

Mobile: +52 1 55 2702 0059
Email: alex@arleeconsulting.com | alex@ruizlee.es
Web: http://www.ARLeeConsulting.com
LinkedIn: http://www.linkedin.com/in/alexruizlee/

Please, email us your CV for a free evaluation of your candidacy

Originally posted by ARLeeConsulting on 01 Jun 2018, 10:09.
Last edited by ARLeeConsulting on 17 Jun 2018, 23:09, edited 1 time in total.
ARLee Consulting
S
Re: Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 16:56
MBA CV/Resume: 1 or 2 pages?

I know this topic has been long discussed, but I still get questions from applicants who are confused about this and think that submitting a 2-page CV/Resume will automatically disqualify them.

So here in this post, I just would like to share my 2 cents on this topic as Admissions Consultant and as HR Professional.

In general, a 2-page CV/Resume is good unless:

(a) The school explicitly mentions 1 page in the application requirements

(b) The 2 pages contain just fluff simply to make up to 2 pages

There is a lot of debate on the 1-page rule on both professional and MBA worlds:

• A professional CV/Resume is easier to skim through by recruiters if it is only 1 page, so in a way it does increase your chances of being called for an interview. That being said, for people with +10 years of experience, it is very common to have a 2-page CV/Resume. Rule of thumb is 1 page per every 10 years of work experience.

However, in any case, no recruiter will ever discard a candidate simply because his/her CV/Resume is two pages long. In my HR experience, I have reviewed thousands (literally) of CV/Resumes, and I have never prioritized one candidate over the other just because the length of the CV/Resume.

• In the MBA world, a 2-page CV is very common. MBA CV/Resumes must portrait the applicant in a holistic way, not just professionally, this is why they tend to be longer.

My advice to all applicants is to focus on content rather than length, and make sure all three aspects of your profile are covered:

• (1) Professional Experience: start with you current or most recent full-time experience, and you can create a sub-section for any part-time experiences, internships or employment during college.
  • (2) Education: you may include here any extra-curricular activities during college as well, or create a sub-section under Other.
  • (3) Other: here you can be more creative. Typical sub-sections are: Personal Interests, Volunteering/Community Service, Languages, International Experience...

Once all the right content is in place, then a decision can be made to whether adjust content to 1 or 2 pages.

I hope this helps.

If you need help crafting your CV/Resume, feel free to contact us and ask for a CV/Resume Review Package.

Thank you, and good luck to everyone!
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
Schools: Wharton '19
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
Re: Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 17:18
Hi ARLee,

I'm considering applying in round 1 this year for full-time MBA programs enrolling fall 2019 and would love to get a profile evaluation and general thoughts on my potential career path. Any evaluation or advice you could give me would be much appreciated. Also curious if I'd gain anything from waiting another year, getting some more experience in my current role and getting some more community involvement.

White male, 26 years old

Education:
"Southern Ivy" (Duke, Emory, Vandy, etc.), graduated in 2014, Mathematics and Economics BA, GPA: 3.25 (started out pre-med which did not go well. Started to do better when I switched to math and econ, but suffered family tragedy fall of senior year which hurt my grades and recruiting as well)

GMAT:
770 (50Q/46V/8IR/5AWA)

Work (all at private, family-owned diversified holding company with $20B+ revenue):
-1 year as a business analyst in the Operational Excellence department in the automotive division. Acted as a liaison between business operations and IT development for the development of enterprise mobile applications, completed heavily statistical analysis to complete the business cases for these applications as well as justify a multi-million dollar acquisition, created operational tools for field use and trained several GMs on their use.
-2 years as a manager in the Financial Planning and Analysis department in the same division. Promoted to manager 3 years ahead of schedule for being recognized as a top performer. Managed a contractor and intern. Currently in charge of budgets and forecasts for several smaller portfolio businesses and on the leadership team of these businesses to provide insights that drive strategic decision-making.
-2 years (at matriculation) as a senior analyst in an elite corporate strategy & development group at the holding company level responsible for portfolio management, M&A, diversification strategy. So far led primary due diligence for several minority investments as well as played an integral role developing a strategy for the Company's extension into the clean technology industry (renewable energy, food and agriculture, water conservation, etc.). Interface regularly with C-level leaders, board members and external parties (banks, PE firms, Consultants, VCs)

Extracurriculars:
-Pro Bono consultant at an eCommerce retail store, creating the business plan, social media marketing strategy, and pricing methodology
-Half marathon participant in the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team In Training program. Raised $2000 for cancer research
-Finalist in my company's internal StartUp business plan event
-Mentor at Big Brothers/Big Sisters Atlanta

Post-MBA Goals:
Ultimately I want to become the CFO of a well-funded start-up in my current industries of expertise (Cleantech, Auto). To get there, I want to work in Finance at one of the external parties I regularly interface with (PE or VC if possible) unless the opportunity presents itself to be a finance leader at a start-up right out of my MBA. I think working in M&A at a particularly flexible, family-owned Strategic provides a different, interesting perspective.

Schools under consideration:
I have two routes I'm considering, since I actually really like my current job:
-Shoot for the stars (Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago) where I think the the value would justify leaving my current role and paying the tuition
-Go to the one year MBA at my local university (Emory, where I think I can get close to a full scholarship), continue working part-time or take 1 year off and come back to my current role.

Thanks in advance for your help!
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 05 Jun 2018, 18:29
Hi mholmes2101,

thank you so much for asking us to evaluate your profile.

Overall, you have an impressive profile.

(1) GMAT: your 770 score is 30-40 points above the average of your targeted schools (i.e. Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Chicago) therefore this will certainly give you an advantage.

(2) GPA: as you know, your GPA is on the lower side for your targeted schools. This will be particularly an issue for H/S/W. However, your GMAT will help you compensate for this, and you can always write an optional essay explaining the extenuating circumstances (i.e. family tragedy) that led to your low GPA.

(3) Work Experience and Career Progression: your work experience seems quite strong and shows a fast career progression that includes some formal leadership experience. Furthermore, your number of years of work experience is on par with your targeted schools' averages.

(4) Extra-curriculars: your extra-curriculars seem quite strong as well with volunteering and pro bono work, alongside raise funding through sports for a novel cause.

(5) Career goals: I really like your career goals and they seem to be quite well defined.

I don't think waiting another year to gain more experience at your current role and some more community involvement would add much value to your candidacy, so I would recommend you to apply on Round 1 this year.

Regarding your two possible routes, honestly, I think you can do much better than Emory. My recommendation would be to apply this year to Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Chicago, and only if none of them works out then consider Emory.

I hope this helps. For a more detailed discussion about your profile, candidacy and options, feel free to reach out. I would love to see your resume as well.

Thank you very much.

Good luck!
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
Schools: Other Schools
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
GRE 1: Q165 V159
GPA: 3

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 06:18
Hi!

I'd be grateful if you can evaluate my profile.

26 M, Indian. Looking to get into a top US business school.
5 years WE
GMAT - 720, 48Q/41V
Expecting 110+ on the TOEFL
Undergrad: 3.0 GPA in Engineering from a not-so-popular Indian university.

Very passionate about startups and entrepreneurship.
Battled my way through severe anxiety and depression.
(would be) First in the family to study abroad.

Work Experience:

Current:
Ø Entrepreneur. Bootstrapped an ed-tech startup from scratch to a $150,000 ARR business in 3 years. Still running it with positive cashflow. I know $150k might not sound that impressive to US adcoms, but the company is based in India, it's in a small niche, and it is growing y-o-y.
Ø Grew the business from 0 - 10,000 paying customers from over 150 countries.
Ø Singlehandedly built and grew the company's blog from 0 to 2 million annual readers without spending a dime on ads. The site is currently ranked very highly in the test prep niche.
Ø Helped over 1000 students improve their test scores, through one-on-one personal interaction and mentorship.

Previous:
Ø Director of Support for 2 years. First hire at a SaaS startup company funded by top global VC firms.
Ø Helped scale the company's online support system from 0-10,000 B2B customers.
Ø Worked with the CEO and the engineering teams to improve customer experience.

Previously, I also co-founded an offline test prep company straight out of undergrad. It did really well for a year or so, and we gave the major players (the likes of Princeton Review and Manhattan Review) a run for their money, but had to shut it down due to lack of funding (needed to expand operations). Used this experience to pivot the service into an online platform (the aforementioned ed-tech startup).

Extra-curricular:

Startup Festival - 3 years
Ø Organized the first ever startup festival in my home state (which is also one of India's largest entrepreneurship events) with over 2500 delegates attending from across the country.
Ø Led a team of 20 managers and 60 volunteers, and played a key role in raising funds, partnering with the state government, and managing over 100 speakers, startups, corporate, sponsors, and partner companies.
Ø The event kickstarted innovation and tech in our state.
Ø Not sure how relevant it is to my application, but I have a letter of recommendation from our State Minister for IT & Entrepreneurship (similar to Secretary of State), as I worked closely with the state government on building a startup ecosystem.

President and Regional Head at a major national level non-profit - 3 years
Ø Built and lead the city chapter of one of India's largest non-profits (on the lines of Teach for India) from scratch to the city's largest and the fastest growing non-profit org.
Ø Recruited, trained, and mentored over 250 young volunteers to teach, train, and mentor over 300 underprivileged children across 5 shelter homes in my city.
Ø Helped the organization expand to two new cities in South India. Recruited, trained, and managed over 30 young leaders and over 300 young volunteers, who in-turn impacted more than 500 underprivileged children in 10 shelter homes across the region.
Ø Although this was a few years ago, it wasn't just another community service activity. I actually worked 10-15 hours a week for 3 years straight.

Other details:
Ø Was a founding member of my university's student magazine.
Ø Was also a member of a couple of clubs in college (entrepreneurship, speaking).

Hobbies:
I'm a fitness enthusiast. Have done freelance modeling, and was also a Mr. India 2016 quarter-finalist.
Also an avid reader and debater.

LORs:
Can get strong letters of recommendation from my supervisors.

Cons:
Ø No recent community service experience.
Ø No international exposure.
Ø Although I've built a successful business, I haven't worked for big brand corporate companies.
Ø Indian male. Although I'm not in the IT sector.
Ø Low GPA?

Post MBA Goals:

Long term goal is to build a global business (ed-tech SaaS company). I plan to use the business acumen and the vast network from my MBA to achieve this. To get there, I believe I need experience in the SaaS domain. My immediate post MBA goal, therefore, is to join a growing SaaS company in the US. Over the past couple of years, I've had a growing interest in the SaaS revolution in the US, and I very much want to be a part of it.

Can you please evaluate my profile? Since I have a relatively unique background (and experience), I'm having a hard time understanding how competitive my profile would be at a top school. I'm also looking for schools where my profile would be very competitive, so I can secure a handsome scholarship (half-ride, or GA). I'm planning to apply in Early or Round 1 this year.

Please suggest what schools I would be a good contender at. Whether they would be among the Top 10 (Haas, MIT, Ross), Top 30 (Duke, UCLA, Cornell), or Top 50 (Indiana, UT-Austin, Carlson), etc. Thank you very much. :)

Kinda noob here. Still figuring out how to get around this amazingly helpful platform. :)

ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 26 Jul 2018, 18:06
Hi SachinKaundinya,

thank you very much for asking us to evaluate your profile.

I really like your experience as entrepreneur. It will def give you great stories for your applications. Furthermore, you have excelled in your venture, and this is highly valued by the AdComs.

However, although not the most typical Indian male applicant, you will still have to compete in the Indian-Male applicant pool. As you know, it is extremely competitive and high GPA and GMAT scores are expected from applicants in that pool. Your current 720 is not a bad score, but not very competitive for Top 10-20 schools. Your Quant score is also below the recommended 80%.

Perhaps, you would need to work a bit more on your career goals and need for an MBA. Also, make sure the companies and positions you're targeting post-MBA require an MBA.

Over the year, you have had an active life outside the classroom and outside of work, and this is also something AdComs like very much. Though your current extra-professional activities are perhaps a bit weak.

Overall, I would say that with a really strong application (i.e. Resume, Essays, LoRs...) you might have a shot at Top 30 schools.

I hope this helps.

Feel free to connect over email for a more detailed discussion about your profile (alex@arleeconsulting.com). We have experience helping Indian applicants with lower GMAT scores than yours to get into their dreams schools.

I would love to see your resume by the way.

Thank you very much.

Good luck!
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR  [#permalink]

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 09:59
Hi Alex,

First of all I read through your replies and appreciated your candidness.

My Profile:

Asian Canadian
    Undergraduate at top Canadian University (UBC/UofT/McGill), Chemistry
    3.0 GPA
    163/170 (Verbal and Quant) on the GRE, 93/97 percentile, eq. to 770 GMAT
    CFA Level 2
    Work Experience with Data Analysis at a mid/small-cap engineering company

I have applied to (University of Toronto) Rotman and have been accepted for the Sep 2018 intake. I am wondering if I should delay my MBA 1 year for the Sep 2019 intake and apply to some US Schools. I would be looking at rank 5-15, I don't think my profile is quite strong enough for wharton harvard stanford, but perhaps Sloan/Columbia/Booth/INSEAD? I am looking at consulting or banking post-MBA.

PROs of Rotman

Strong Toronto Network
    10k scholarship - 90k CAD tuition
    Don't need H1B, less dependent on the American economy
    1 year sooner!

PROs of US Top 15

Prestige
    Better cohort
    More recognizable internationally

One big risk I see is a faltering US economy. If I graduate into a recession, it would be very difficult to stay in the US. As far as I understand, getting that good first job is critical. Any advice would be much appreciated!
ARLee Consulting
S

Show Tags

New post 02 Aug 2018, 16:51
Hi peterx,

thank you very much for reaching out, and for reading through my replies.

Congratulations on your admissions to Rotman! It is definitely a very good school, but I understand your dilemma.

I think it all comes down to your career goals. If you see yourself immediately post-MBA (or sometime in the future) outside of Canada, it would be indeed worth postponing your admission to Rotman and applying to a Top US School.

Just from the details you shared, I would say you have a good shot at those schools.

I understand your concern about the US economy at the time of graduation, but I would not worry much about that at this point. Into a recession or not, coming out of a Top US School and with a great profile, you could still land of a very good job.

If you are open to work outside of Canada/US, you could also hedge that risk by applying to a Top European School. I saw you mentioned INSEAD in your list, and I think it's an excellent choice. Just keep in mind that an international profile is very important for INSEAD. I know you're Asian Canadian, but it would be great if you could also show international motivation through international experiences, working in international teams, global careers goals... Another European school you could consider is LBS, especially given your goal in banking.

I would love to see your resume to better assess your chances at Top US Schools + INSEAD (or LBS). It would be great if you could share it with me at alex@arleeconsulting.com. We could also continue this conversation in more detail.

Otherwise, I hope the above has been helpful, and I wish you the best of luck whatever path you decide to take.

Thank you very much.

Best regards
Alex

HR Executive Director

Intern
Intern
B
CAT Tests

Show Tags

New post 30 Aug 2018, 23:06
Hello,

Please find a brief of my profile below. I thank you in anticipation for your help!

Age – 30 years Male, Nationality – Indian, planning to apply for Canadian citizenship if I end up in a good MBA program so that I can avoid H1B circus post graduation :-) (applying only for US universities)

Education: B.Tech & M.Tech in Mechanical Engineering/Energy Technology from one of the top 5 IITs in India (GPA – 3.6/4 as per WES assessment), MSc in Mechanical Engineering from one of the top 5 Canadian University (GPA – 3.8/4)

GMAT – 690 (Q51, V31, IR6), planning to apply only for safe schools during R1 2018, need to retake GMAT to cross 730 to be able to apply for target schools during R2.

WE: Total 5 years by next year (4 years in Canada and 1 year in India - 2.5 years in a top energy management consultancy firm which runs energy efficiency programs in North America, 1.5 years in other energy audit firms, and 1 year in a big oil)

Internships: 2 research interns during undergrad – 3 months in an European university and 3 months in SIEMENS in its energy research group)

Publications – Couple of publications in reputed journals (Electrochimica Acta, Journal of The Electrochemical Society)

Scholarships – 1 during undergrad, 3 during grad school (2 of them are pretty reputed)

Extra curricular – Organized few tech events, member of choreography and light music team (as an acoustic guitarist) during undergrad, volunteered for a program during grad school that was meant to spread cultural awareness of my home country through presentations in schools, currently volunteering as a mentor and registration presenter for an engineering regulatory body of a Canadian province

Post MBA Goal – Energy Consultancy/Trading/IB

I will be applying for MBA programs and universities that are reputed for energy. On that note, I will appreciate if somebody can please suggest few safe as well as target schools I could pursue based on my profile. I am targeting to matriculate by Fall 2019.
GMAT Club Bot
Re: Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR &nbs [#permalink] 30 Aug 2018, 23:06

Ask ARLee Consulting - Admissions Counseling by ex-Samsung Head of HR

new topic post reply Update application status  

Copyright

GMAT Club MBA Forum Home| About| Terms and Conditions and Privacy Policy| GMAT Club Rules| Contact| Sitemap